Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where does the inspiration for SR magic come from?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
emo samurai
Is it mostly New Age stuff? I think this is a question for freelancers.
mfb
one part D&D, one part Not D&D.
blakkie
The part that is D&D pretty damn small, I think. As in it is almost the antithesis of D&D magic. Or was that D&D's contribution, an inspiration to NOT make it like that?
eidolon
Actually, there's almost no Vancian quality to SR magic at all. I also wouldn't compare it to systems using mana or spell points, because theoretically with the right rolls a mage in SR never has to stop casting spells.

At the moment, I can't think of another system like this, although Burning Wheel might use something similar (cast until you can't because you're tired/damaged). Midnight's channeler might be similar too, but it has been an while since I read it. WoT maybe as well. (So I guess I can think of a few that are somewhat similar, but none that really strike me as influencial due to the timing of releases.)
Drraagh
I ran into this a while back about SR, and it mentions how magic got brought into SR and where they got their original inspiration from.

SHADOWRUN: The World Behind the Cards
eidolon
Hey, cool article. Thanks.
Drraagh
No problem.

One of my favorites is the Big D part.

To no one's surprise, the dragon Dunkelzahn won by a landslide -- but it surprised everyone when, in the very moment of the dragon's victory, FASA announced his assassination.

"It was so unexpected," says SR line developer Mike Mulvihill, who masterminded the election adventures. "We made it feel like an actual press event. I had people calling my hotel room at 1 or 2 in the morning, asking if it was true. I'm amazed at how well it turned out."
mfb
SR cribs off of D&D-style/Jack Vance magic in the style of its spells, and in the character of its mages. the whole concept of mages that cast flashy effects like explosions, magical zap beams, and the like was largely popularized by D&D. there are certainly other sources, but it seems to me that D&D is central to the RPG/fantasy novel industry's concept of magic.

i also see D&Dism in SR's concept of 'elements'. especially in 2nd ed, they were always expanding on the original earth-air-fire-water setup--paraelements, quasielements, yadda yadda yadda, until the whole concept got kinda blurry. 'element', somewhere along the way, kinda lost its original definition and mutated from "basis of all matter and energy" into "different ways you can deal damage". SR picks up right where Planescape left off, with its lighting and sand and wood and what-have-you.

and, of course, there are the parallels between the D&D mage class and hermetic magic: bookish guys whose magic is fuelled by education rather than intuition. not that all SR hermetics (or even all D&D mages, these days) conform to that type, but that's the default style of both.
SL James
I suspect that part of the change in magic in 2e and 3e were also influenced by the author's own personal knowledge and biases with regard to RL magic (or at least, a very specific aspect of it), which also includes the creeping change in tone of derision towards that bookish hermetic class.

It is New Age-ish to the extent that there is a class of existing magic(k) that deals with concepts that directly translate into Shadowrun's magical rules like astral perception, projection, Shielding, warding, and ritual magic. However, I would hardly put Shadowrun at the forefront of appropriating those ideas into its game.
fistandantilus4.0
I'd noticed that as well, which was why I liked the different paradigims in SOTA. Hermetics became the whipping boys for a while, most shadowtalk was shamans slamming hermetics, with little bits of fluff backing them up. We need a New Hermetic Rennaisance.
SL James
No, we needed Steve Kenson to take his own personal beliefs and shove them up his ass.

Because, in case you didn't know, he believes in and practices "real" magic.
krayola red
Everybody knows that hermetics are really just a bunch of nerds that need a good beating up.
emo samurai
Dude, binding elementals rocks. mad.gif
PBTHHHHT
And all the shamans are a bunch of tree huggers who smoked one too many...
emo samurai
Nah, shamans are cool, too.

What did Steve Kenson do to hermetics?
fistandantilus4.0
Kenson is , IIRC, in to Wiccan, and doesn't really care for hermetic, at least by his writing style. Read Magic in The Shadows and some of his other work, and you'll see a general lean away from hermetic and moretowrds shamanistic or totem stlye magic.
emo samurai
But... but hermetic magic rocks!!! :.(...
eidolon
Is this a measurable overt bias, or yet another rumor induced "I see it! I see it!" reaction, he wondered.
Wounded Ronin
Yeah, I was gonna say, it came from Stephen Kenson.

I'm not sure Kenson hates hermetics, though. Isn't Talon a hermetic?
fistandantilus4.0
No it doesn't. It stays home and studies astrological charts while the shaman next door goes out and listens to neo-tribal-goblin-rock.

And it doesn't like it when you cry either. smile.gif
Fygg Nuuton
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Oct 2 2006, 02:41 PM)

I'm not sure Kenson hates hermetics, though.  Isn't Talon a hermetic?

Talon also fornicates his ally spirit so his views on the world are skewed.

I'm in a purely business relationship with my ally spirit.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)

Eh, he did? I thought he just had his gay romantic relationship with an older man who was a mage who was also, like, a father figure to him. And then some gangers killed his adoptive father/gay lover so then Talon flipped out and cast Hellfire on the gangers before it was retconned in 3rd ed. And then later Talon had to go on some astral quest to beg the forgiveness of the gangers he killed or something like that.
blakkie
QUOTE (Drraagh @ Oct 2 2006, 10:53 AM)
I ran into this a while back about SR, and it mentions how magic got brought into SR and where they got their original inspiration from.

SHADOWRUN: The World Behind the Cards

Rocking!
QUOTE (mfb)
SR cribs off of D&D-style/Jack Vance magic in the style of its spells, and in the character of its mages. the whole concept of mages that cast flashy effects like explosions, magical zap beams, and the like was largely popularized by D&D.

I suppose there are some certain similarities there, so I see where you are getting at. Perhaps this is more an effect of both being relatively combative games?

But everything else is very different. Separation of sorcery from conjuring. Little to no requirements for spell components, somantics, or speech. The whole astral overlay on the physical world. The correlation between Hermetics and Wizards is, well, tenuois I think. Especially given that the Shamans and Hermetics have the same list of spells, and largely their magic came from and worked on the same basic principles. Whereas Wizards and Clerics initially have very, very different focuses on their spell lists and what they can do and where their magic comes from.

Just the fact that Shadowrun actually tries to explain magical theory in rational and explict terms is very different from D&D.
QUOTE (eidolon)
At the moment, I can't think of another system like this, although Burning Wheel might use something similar

Burning Wheel's magic is indeed set upon the same basic concept. I suspect if you asked Luke Crane he'd confirm that it is a total ripoff of Shadowrun which he even lists at the back of the book as a influence for the system. Incidentally Luke originally started out developing Burning Wheel as a cyberpunk game, which makes it's recent transformation into Burning Empires almost a homecoming of sorts. In more ways than one given that he's long been a fan of the Iron Empires books and wanted to write a licensed game for it.

However obviously Burning Wheel was fixed TN before Shadowrun converted fully to fixed TN. Perhaps that was somewhat circular too? Where Burning Wheel showed how well a Shadowrun type magic system could function under a fixed TN system?

P.S. I've not read Shadows of Yesterday but it wouldn't surprise me if it's mechanics were similar. It is suppose to have been very heavily influenced by SR too. Such as their mythical elfs and drawves are very much like metahumans in that they aren't exactly what the myths said they were suppose to be.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)

No, Talon's ally is the wolf/hawk/motorcycle. He rides his ally, not fornicates. There's a subtle difference, but it's there. It was his ghost mentor ( ... huh... Talon's got a mentor spirit of his dead lover.... wonder what kind of bonuses that gets?) that he wanted to fornicate. Those crazy necrophiliacs.

Oh, and yeah, Talon's a hermetic. IIRC though, the ritual that Talon used to summon gallow was more Wiccan style (although I think any Wiccan would yell at me for saying that using blood in the magic is Wiccan by my understanding of it) than hermetic.
SL James
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Oct 2 2006, 03:41 PM)

He's about as Hermetic as I am a girl scout.

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Oh, and yeah, Talon's a hermetic. IIRC though, the ritual that Talon used to summon gallow was more Wiccan style (although I think any Wiccan would yell at me for saying that using blood in the magic is Wiccan by my understanding of it) than hermetic.

I would suspect it's closer to pagan than Wiccan.
lorechaser
Or possibly Druidic?
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James @ Oct 2 2006, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Oct 2 2006, 03:41 PM)

He's about as Hermetic as I am a girl scout.

Exactly. Just dressing up in the uniform and having 'campouts' with a bunch of pre-teen girls doesn't really make a girl scout anymore than claiming to be able to write and add makes you a Hermitic.

This disturbing image momment is brought to you by a large case of Twinkies and insomina.
BookWyrm
If I may toss in my $0.02.....

I believe that SR magick is a combination or New Age, classical, 'traditional' and natrual-world-view concepts mixed in, with a healthy dose of consequence thrown in.

Let me explain.....

Back in the days when I played AD&D, long beofre WotC bought them out, the fantasy-magic was easy to play....almost too easy. There was no real consequence to miscasting a spell, enchanting, spirit summoning, ect. The higher you went in level, the more powerful you got. If you blew it on a cast spell, even Create Food, it just didn't work, the spell was used up & you had to wait until you could cast it again.
Huh?
Sure, the caster could get 'fatigued' slinging spells all day, but so what? A little rest, a good meal, and the mage/cleric/shaman/ ect. was up & ready to go at it again.
I remembered one of the Voyages of Sinbad films, one starting (a relatively unknown) Tom baker as an evil wizard trying to thwart Sinbad's current quest. When he created an alchemical flying spy (a homunculus, by SR standards), which drained him slightly. But when the spy was discovered & killed, the wizard felt it & aged rapidly! Magic had a price!

It was not long afterwards that someone sent an article into Dragon magazine detailing some of the effects of miscast magic (I cannot recall who, when or what issue).

After being burned out on all the then-releasing books coming out for AD&D (SpellJammer, Planescape, ect), I discovered a flyer for 1st edition SR & looked through the book. Magic, it seemed, had to be channeled throught the nervous system of the caster & into it's effect. If it miscast, the mage paid for it in Drain! It had me hooked. The sci-fi elements, as I was just getting back into cyberpunk fiction (Gibson's Neuromancer, Burning Chrome, Mona Lisa Overdrive,ect.) was the icing on the cake.

So, I would say, that's what SR's magic is. What you make of it.
blakkie
Hehe, so I guess Burning Wheel tosses in an unhealthy dose of consequence. Because not only do you have to set aside dice while sustaining a spell, but if you fail the casting you get a random spell effect that basically is some sort of perversion of the spell you tried to cast. One of which can be ripping a hole in the fabric of whatever that lets a deamon step through and own your ass. Oh, and the only way to learn a new spell is try casting it when you don't really know what you are doing and the odds of screwing it up are much higher. You also can't just do this in the comfort of your comfy abode, it has to be in the line of duty as it were.

But definately I agree with you BookWyrm.

P.S. I'm not sure how far it goes back, but there were a few spells like Haste that had consequences in prior versions of D&D. Of course for some races, specifically Elves, the consequence was usually that you became more kickass. love.gif wobble.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Adult Red Draon becomes Great Wyrm Red Dragon by learning the 1st edition version of haste! Yay!

I think the miscasting spell effect would be awesome in SR. Finally, all those pictures of mages that burned themselves with a new spell in the lab would come true. I wonder if they just thought it would over-complicate things.

Oh, and James, I think you're right. I think Kenson is pagan, not into wiccan. Thanks, that makes more sense.

*wanders off picturing SL James dressed as a girl scout with a bad blond wig in pig tails singing camp songs around the fire*
Critias
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

Eh, he did? I thought he just had his gay romantic relationship with an older man who was a mage who was also, like, a father figure to him. And then some gangers killed his adoptive father/gay lover so then Talon flipped out and cast Hellfire on the gangers before it was retconned in 3rd ed. And then later Talon had to go on some astral quest to beg the forgiveness of the gangers he killed or something like that.

I think I remember a scene when he sets his Ally Spirit free later on in the series (this was after his straight female team-mate wanted to get a sex change operation so she could be a gay guy, 'cause she was in love with Talon and wanted him to love 'her' back), the Ally Spirit (motorcycle/wolf/hawk) gains a new form of "very pretty young man," and the two smooch a few times and talk about how much they love one another and stuff.

But, yeah. He was the young'un in a father-figure/pedo relationship, too.
SL James
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Oct 2 2006, 06:20 PM)
Or possibly Druidic?

Actually, yeah. That's what I meant in terms of effect. But as far as SK is concerned, AFAIK he is a pagan.

It's kind of sad that the pedophilia was the least awful thing about that book.
JonathanC
Kenson is , IIRC, in to Wiccan, and doesn't really care for hermetic, at least by his writing style. Read Magic in The Shadows and some of his other work, and you'll see a general lean away from hermetic and moretowrds shamanistic or totem stlye magic.

Funny, since the last three novels he wrote starred a hermetic magician and her hermetic troll mentor, and had only a brief appearance by a shaman, who hardly seemed like a favorite character.
SL James
Seriously.

Least. Hermetic. Mage. Ever.

Worst of all, the only time I didn't think Talon was a tool was in the DHS, and that was because it was written by someone else, and so SK couldn't cum all over himself about how cool his former PC-turned-Mary Sue novel protagonist was.
JonathanC
I've never read any books about Talon, I was talking about Kellan Colt. Who, granted, was subject to a big helping of deus ex machina because of the amulet, but who never struck me as being particularly un-hermetic. She was very green, and didn't own a library yet, but her training, and her mentor, were about as hermetic as it gets.
Ophis

Hi I'm Wiccan, more or less, I'd use blood in my rituals as appropriate, why the hell else would we take knives into the circle, other than to cut the honey cakes of course.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (SL James)
how cool his former PC-turned-Mary Sue novel protagonist was.

Seriously. It can be pulled off, just like almost every other "thou shalt not" in writing, but "thou shalt not write about thine own characters" is a pretty damn good rule for gaming fiction.

~J
BookWyrm
Thank you, blakkie. I don't read The Burning Wheel series myself, I have enough to keep up with.
emo samurai
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (SL James @ Oct 3 2006, 12:48 AM)

Seriously. It can be pulled off, just like almost every other "thou shalt not" in writing, but "thou shalt not write about thine own characters" is a pretty damn good rule for gaming fiction.

~J
Critias
QUOTE (EMO SAMURAI)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 3 2006, 04:14 AM)

~J

Yeah. We know.
Grinder
All this awesomeness.... biggrin.gif
Shrike30
Every once in a while, I think I should dig back and read some of the "classic" SR novels. And then someone reminds me about Talon.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Ophis)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 3 2006, 12:09 AM)

Hi I'm Wiccan, more or less, I'd use blood in my rituals as appropriate, why the hell else would we take knives into the circle, other than to cut the honey cakes of course.

Sorry, just the Wiccans that I know think of using blood a lot like SR magic in general does. Basically, it's bad. Not Wiccan myself, just going off what other Wiccans have told me. Hence "by my understanding of it".
SL James
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 3 2006, 03:14 AM)

~J

Oh, I know. I know.

But the biases are annoying as Hell. I try hard not to let my own beliefs about RL magic and religion affect my writing, and that's why I let people read over and help edit my writing. For someone who's been published, it's even less acceptable to me that he does it and gets away with it.
krayola red
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

For people who use their characters mostly as a fantasy outlet, yeah, I would agree. But for people who RP solely as a creative exercise, I don't see the harm in it. I've read plenty of good fiction casting the author's character(s) as one of the main protagonists.
Kagetenshi
See the first half of that second sentence there.

~J
krayola red
Yeah, but you're saying it's a rare case that writing about your own character isn't a bad idea. Your experience probably differs from mine, but I find that people who can pull it off aren't so uncommon that they should be considered an exception. In fact, many of the best fanfiction that I've read stars characters that were actually used in a game - they were fleshed out so much during the course of the game that little extra work was required to bring them to life on the page.
Ancient History
To answer the original question, some of the idea behind magic in SR was due to Larry Niven's The Magic Goes Away, and various parapsychological phenomena (astral projection, etc.)

More recently, the individual interests and personalities of the writers have strongly influenced the flavor of various traditions, metamagics and abilities.
emo samurai
Time to go to the library. Thanks, AH.
Critias
QUOTE (krayola red)
Yeah, but you're saying it's a rare case that writing about your own character isn't a bad idea. Your experience probably differs from mine, but I find that people who can pull it off aren't so uncommon that they should be considered an exception. In fact, many of the best fanfiction that I've read stars characters that were actually used in a game - they were fleshed out so much during the course of the game that little extra work was required to bring them to life on the page.

There's a difference between fanfiction and canon in-game published fiction. No one cares about fanfiction but (for the most part) other fanfiction writers. When someone's publishing novels with the game logo on the spine, and writing sourcebook chapters that deal with the source material of his own character (IE, Kenson writing significant chunks of the magic rules, while writing novels about his character Talon, the mage) -- well, things can get sticky.

We can hop way far out on a tree limb for a second and we'll even say he doesn't let his personal beliefs color his writing, doesn't let his religous thoughts color his sourcebooks, doesn't let his perspective translate into game mechanics, doesn't show favoritism by bending or ignoring the rules while writing for his character, blah blah blah... and, well, the perception is still there. The potential is still there. Much like when someone at work dates their boss, or a student dates a college professor -- it might all be on the up-and-up, and that person might still receive wholly professional and impartial treatment from that authority figure despite the fact they're regularly swapping bodily fluids... but it's still not a very good idea, nor does it look good to coworkers/other students/other faculty/whatever.

Having someone write canon material (and sourcebooks relating to that canon material) about their favorite character (and their favorite religion) isn't generally too good a plan, if someone else can do the writing instead.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012