Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You need gore in your games
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
Today, I feel like quoting from a Vietnam War memoir, "Green Knight, Red Mourning," by Richard Ogden, to demonstrate how for a role playing game hideous firearms-related gore is realistic and therefore necessary. After all, how can the players really think about their in-character character reactions if they don't have visceral imagery to react to? The abstract concept of getting shot and killed is something we're all desensitized to but perhaps the only way to get people to really play the role of someone in a violent and stressful situation is to give them a vivid, realistic tableau of the mangling and destruction of a firefight.

Even though pistol knocback is supposed to be nothing more than a nervous reaction, here's an account of knockback (into the air, apparently!) from 7.62 NATO rounds:

The Vietcong left the temporary cover of the junkyard and ran for their lives out across the open sand.  They ran one behind the other, entrants from the same country, one running for the gold medal and one for the silver in the one hundred meters.  They were coming into the last stretch and heading for the tape, two men running for their lives.  They could have made a new world's record.  A strange remorsefulness came over me as I watched their final seconds.  Even with all that effort, there was no way in hell they were going to make it.  M-60s cut loose a thousand yards away, and the first burst was miraculously on target.  The tracer rounds burned through them and streaked off into the darkness.  The impact of the bodies in full stride seemed like slow motion.  The bodies flew end over end, seven or eight feet into the air.  They plunged to the ground and plowed through the sand like wiped-out downhill racers through the snow, and then came to rest.

-pg 235

Apparently, even a pistol shot can spray you with brains:

The professor went with the patrol that was sent out to find bodies and weapons.  To their astonishment and discontent, they found no bodies.  The professor did find a Thompson submachine gun that was overlooked in the dar.  Third platoon had two enemy kills and the bodies to prove it.  One of their "kills" was found at dawn wandering around close to the perimeter.  he was shot in the gut, and he held what he could inside with his hands while he dragged the escaped intestines behind him in the sand.  As the Vietcong soldier shuffled his feet forward in the sand, the second platoon commander stepped behind him and drew his forty-five.  He placed it at the back of his head and pulled the trigger.  It was a mistake he was never likely to forget.  He did the man a kindness, but in the process he blew flecks of flesh, blood, and brain all over himself.
-pg 239

SOURCE:

Ogden, Richard E. "Green Knight, Red Mourning". Pinnacle Books, October 2002.
Austere Emancipator
"[...] seven or eight feet into the air."
Uhh, wow. Amazing jumpers, those Viet Cong.

There can never be too much sprayed brains, though.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
"[...] seven or eight feet into the air."
Uhh, wow. Amazing jumpers, those Viet Cong.

There can never be too much sprayed brains, though.

Honestly, if you read enough Vietnam War memoirs you will come across some truly freaky shit. There's one I don't have with me to reference right now, but the title was "And A Hard Rain Fell". That account is more negative than the other accounts because the writer was drafted and basically hated every second of it, whereas Ogden enlisted.

Anyway, the author of "And A Hard Rain Fell" claims that the moment of the war that really broke his brain was the time that he had to shoot this Vietnamese guy many many times to stop him. Later when he went to examine the horribly mangled body the dead guy had a big erection as if to say, 'fuck you GI, I enjoyed coming at you in a suicidal bid to kill you'. I don't remember the exact words the author used but that was the effect of his mental visualization. He claims that that was the moment that he felt his mental wholeness finally snap and that he felt he incurred some irreversible mental trauma.
SL James
I think I've seen this movie.
FrankTrollman
Anyway, the author of "And A Hard Rain Fell" claims that the moment of the war that really broke his brain was the time that he had to shoot this Vietnamese guy many many times to stop him. Later when he went to examine the horribly mangled body the dead guy had a big erection as if to say, 'fuck you GI, I enjoyed coming at you in a suicidal bid to kill you'.

Actually that would be nerve damage. When the cervical spine gets injured the regulatory system for the blood vessels cuts out. That means that all the vessels revert to their uncontrolled, dilated condition. And when your vessels dilate, blood collects in them. Causing priapism and a deadly drop in blood pressure.

It's called spinal shock and it's a bad sign for trauma care.

-Frank
Inu
I would SERIOUSLY doubt any report of machingun bullets causing that much knockback. There's either something else going on (like they hit a mine at the same time), or the report is inaccurate (due to bad memory, editorialising, or something like that).

A simple energy equation can show it. The energy contained in a 7.62mm bullet, even if absolutely all of it is imparted to the target with no lost energy whatsoever (a physical impossibility that, among other things, assumes zero penetration and zero entropy), will not knock someone into their air. A Mythbusters episode explored the science of knockback, and found that even a .50BMG round with no overpenetration would make someone jerk back... but no more than a few inches.

But yes, gore happens. In my current game, I have quite horrible things happen in combat. Aside from anything else, targets tend not to die instantly, or quietly. A deadly wound doesn't mean the target has been instantly killed; it just means the wound is too severe to treat successfully. So they gurgle and moan out their last moments as blood floods into their lungs, or pumps out the ragged hole in their throats. Be interesting to see how many people decide to shoot them again, or decide they'll try to not kill next time. In any case, I don't do it to discourage killing, or to be gratuitous... just because that's what happens. Killing isn't clean, no matter what the movies tell us.

As for being splattered with blood, yeah, that happens. It's called 'blowback', and will happen regardless of whether there's noticeable blood or not; that is, there'll be a spray of microsopic blood droplets from the wound, even if you don't see anything come out. When hitting just right, the pressure of the bullet striking will force viscera out of the hole as well. Won't always happen, but it can. (So a word of warning to those runners who like execution-style hits: burn your clothes afterwards, 'cause you'll be wearing their DNA.)
Kagetenshi
Ah, Mythbusters. Nothing like using a pig corpse to demonstrate something a few seconds of math would have sufficed for. Reminds me of one of Tesla's comments about Edison…

~J
Slump
QUOTE (Inu)
(So a word of warning to those runners who like execution-style hits: burn your clothes afterwards, 'cause you'll be wearing their DNA.)

Or just go Au Naturale and take a brisk shower.
Critias
Mythbusters is a neat show, as long as people remember it's entertainment, not really scientific experimentation.
eidolon
It's like "science meets that crazy kid that lived two doors down from you in middle school". I love it.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Ah, Mythbusters. Nothing like using a pig corpse to demonstrate something a few seconds of math would have sufficed for. Reminds me of one of Tesla's comments about Edison…

~J

true, but few people have the time to truely visualize what the math is talking about.

shooting said pig makes for a very visual display of what happens (or not happens as the case may be).

allso, said vietcong in the story was running. could they have buildt up enough speed so that when they got shot they tripped and so on? as in, its not the bullets energy itself that did it, but what other kinetic energy the body had stored up at said moment.

as for the altitude, most likely the person telling the story was high on adrenaline at the moment.
Kagetenshi
If they were running downhill I could see a spectacular tumble, but "unreliable witness" is the only other non-explosives-involving plausible scenario I can see.

~J
Austere Emancipator
If the account did not only mention bursts and tracers (and the context, which Wounded Ronin knows better, surely makes it clear that he's talking about GPMGs), the M60s might have looked like this instead of this.
knasser
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 3 2006, 11:36 AM)

~J

true, but few people have the time to truely visualize what the math is talking about.

What did Tesla say about Edison, please?

-K.
Butterblume
There was a lot of (Al) Gore in Futurama biggrin.gif.

But, seriously, the real gory stuff is in the descriptions of the trench warfare in World War I.
Kyoto Kid
...I have a series of medical journal articles which detail gunshot wounds by different types of weapons & ammo. Most of the illos are diagrammatic, but still get the point across as to the amount of internal carnage these weapons can do.

I have used them from time to time in gaming sessions to help players understand just how that seemingly small projectile tore such a big hole in their character leaving them with only a box or two on their condition monitor.
Austere Emancipator
I've pimped Ogrish.Com here before -- they've got a great picture and video archive of corpses that have been corpse-fied by various means.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
If the account did not only mention bursts and tracers (and the context, which Wounded Ronin knows better, surely makes it clear that he's talking about GPMGs), the M60s might have looked like this instead of this.

ah, the US military and their overlapping equipment codes...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 3 2006, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 3 2006, 11:36 AM)

~J

What did Tesla say about Edison, please?

-K.

"If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search […] I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor."

~J
Shrike30
There's a vast difference between knowing something based on the math/calculations, and having it proven to you. Not in terms of how it actually works in real life, but in terms of how confident people are in the belief that their impression of something is correct.
Kagetenshi
No, there isn't. There may be a difference between having something proven to you and having something demonstrated to you, but that's a different matter altogether.

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Anyway, the author of "And A Hard Rain Fell" claims that the moment of the war that really broke his brain was the time that he had to shoot this Vietnamese guy many many times to stop him. Later when he went to examine the horribly mangled body the dead guy had a big erection as if to say, 'fuck you GI, I enjoyed coming at you in a suicidal bid to kill you'.

Actually that would be nerve damage. When the cervical spine gets injured the regulatory system for the blood vessels cuts out. That means that all the vessels revert to their uncontrolled, dilated condition. And when your vessels dilate, blood collects in them. Causing priapism and a deadly drop in blood pressure.

It's called spinal shock and it's a bad sign for trauma care.

-Frank

That's an awesome piece of information which I was glad to learn. If I can get my hands on Hard Rain again I'll type up that whole paragraph for posterity here.
Inu
QUOTE (Slump)
QUOTE (Inu @ Oct 3 2006, 04:27 AM)
(So a word of warning to those runners who like execution-style hits: burn your clothes afterwards, 'cause you'll be wearing their DNA.)

Or just go Au Naturale and take a brisk shower.

Unfortunately, blood is actually kinda difficult to wash off skin.

But I can dig the idea of naked shadowrunning. It's a whole new genre.
Inu
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

Hehe. I haven't seen the pig corpse one -- in this case, they were shooting Buster (poor guy). Equations and maths aside, there's a lot to be said for seeing a human-shaped thing (that weighs, if I remember right, the same as a person of similar size) being hit by a .50 bullet... and merely falling down due to being overbalanced. Not even pushed back far enough to be prostrate, either, just falling down where he was. Maybe a few inhces of knockback, and that's it.

That said, the bullet lodged in his spine, so anyone hit by the same round would be dead, dead, dead. But still in the same place they were upon getting hit! ^_^
If they were running downhill I could see a spectacular tumble, but "unreliable witness" is the only other non-explosives-involving plausible scenario I can see.

~J

I concur on both counts.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Inu)
That said, the bullet lodged in his spine [...]

?! A .50 BMG bullet did not fully penetrate the crash test dummy? That's very, very weird. The M33 Ball round can penetrate 21mm of armor steel at 500 meters. Any human hit by one is going to have a big hole blown right through him/her, regardless of body armor or just about anything else.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Inu)

Not that difficult. It just takes some patience. Hydrogen peroxide helps if it's had time to dry.

~J
nezumi
The one thing shooting dummies and pigs does not account for is the human's natural reaction when shot (or shot at, for that matter). I imagine that split second when you feel the bullet tearing through your abdomen makes you jump out of pain and fear alone. Of course, I've never seen live people getting shot, so I can really only speculate.
Austere Emancipator
There are quite a few videos of live humans shot to death out there on the internets. Most either look exactly like they've been hit hard in the head (ie. all their muscles give up at the same time and they drop like jello with bones in) or they crumple down rather undramatically.

None jump, that I have seen. Weird shit happens, of course.
mfb
i've heard similar anecdotes. if i had to be scientific about it, i'd say that sometimes the shot that kills somebody doesn't kill them all the way right off the bat. they've got a second or two, maybe longer, to go "oh shit i've been shot" and then do something about it. with an adrenaline boost, a dead guy might jump pretty far/high. seven or eight feet? i dunno.
Kagetenshi
"Seven or eight feet" is also vague. On a good day I can get my chest that high. If they mean getting the center of mass that high, well, that would mean getting shot turns you into a world-record jumper (8 feet, 1/2 inch). I somehow doubt it.

~J
mfb
yeah, that's what i was thinking. who knows, "seven or eight feet" might be referring to their outflung limbs, not the amount of empty space between them and the ground.
Austere Emancipator
One thing that would skew my statistics is that most videos about people being killed with firearms on the net are of executions, execution-style murders, and kills by snipers. In a combat situation, all that adrenaline is likely to make a difference.

Still, jumping high into the air doesn't seem like the most probable course of action regardless of how high on adrenaline you are -- certainly no other combat report I've read mentions such a thing. BHD, for example, is full of crumpling people, soldiers and militia falling down where they stood and screaming a lot, that sort of thing, but very light on jumping.
mfb
well... back when i was young and stupid, i tried cooking two eggs in a microwave. one of 'em exploded in the bowl, and when i picked up the other, it exploded in my hand. my lethal, military-trained reflexes kicked in, and in shock, i leapt a foot off the ground, straight up.
Critias
QUOTE (mfb)
well... back when i was young and stupid...

So, what, like...Sunday? Monday? Ho, ho, ho, I kill me.

A lot of civilian combat trainers also chime in that "knockdown power" is a myth, and in particular a Hollywood one. I'll admit they're primarily talking about handguns at the time, but the simple math of it will tell you -- if firing the gun doesn't send you flying seven or eight feet backward (when you're taking all that pressure through a shoulderpad, and it's not losing force due to friction during travel or penetrating the skin), why would being hit by the bullet from the gun make you go flying?

Discounting a direct CNS hit, people don't generally have to fall down when they get shot. Nothing but a direct CNS hit (from any sort of small arms) is really going to kill someone right away. Sure, they don't have lungs, or a liver, or kidneys, or a heart -- but they still have muscles and a brain, so they can still kill you for quite some time after the bullets hit home. The reason most people fall down when they get shot is a mixture of the shock setting in, and the fact we've all been told when you get shot you fall down, for our entire lives. Pain hits, shock hits, adrenaline might already have you dizzy, and your smarts shut down for a second -- and then you think "Hollywood's told me my entire life, this is where I fall down."

And then you fall down.

The actual kinetic energy a bullet transfers to you is negligible. Throw a softball at someone and you'll get about the same "knockback" result.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Critias @ Oct 4 2006, 11:38 AM)
QUOTE (mfb @ Oct 4 2006, 11:27 AM)

Now now, everyone stops being young eventually.

I'm not too sure on the "we expect to fall down so we do" idea—especially with the number of heroes and important villains who get shot and don't blink—but if there is a physiological reason, it has to do with shock (the medical condition) rather than momentum.

~J
Shrike30
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
No, there isn't. There may be a difference between having something proven to you and having something demonstrated to you, but that's a different matter altogether.

That's kind of what I was getting at, except phrased better.
Grinder
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Critias @ Oct 4 2006, 11:38 AM)
QUOTE (mfb @ Oct 4 2006, 11:27 AM)

Now now, everyone stops being young eventually.

No, no, noooo!!!!!

eek.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shrike30)
That's kind of what I was getting at, except phrased better.

Then we are in agreement smile.gif

(I'd kinda suspected it, but my policy is that you can rarely be too careful when it comes to wording.)

~J
Austere Emancipator
Medical shock (this kind) can't really explain some people immediately dropping down when they're shot -- there's not enough time there for any tissues to suffer from lack of oxygen. Indeed sometimes when a person falls down when hit there is no injury caused at all -- see this clip (YouTube, you can log in as username Pentti, password pentti if you haven't signed up) for example. For a serious physiological reason, I guess you'd have to look at the reactions, if any, of the CNS to sudden sharp impacts. Else you're stuck with psychological causes.
Kagetenshi
Hm. Have there been any studies on the "hollywood effect"? Ones with a test group exposed primarily to "invulnerable-hero" type movies would be optimal.

~J
Butterblume
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Inu @ Oct 4 2006, 07:19 AM)

Not that difficult. It just takes some patience. Hydrogen peroxide helps if it's had time to dry.

Ask Lady MacBeth. But then, she probably hadn't had Hydrogen Peroxide at hand.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Hm. Have there been any studies on the "hollywood effect"? Ones with a test group exposed primarily to "invulnerable-hero" type movies would be optimal.

~J

Sure, let's do one. We'll get a few hundred people, make half of 'em watch movies for a couple years, then we'll shoot them all and see how they jump!
What? What did you say?
Oh, sorry guys, nevermind. I was just told that would be "wrong" or "illegal" or some other such nonsense.
biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Nah, that's not what I'm saying. We need one group that isn't exposed to popular ideas about firearms, one group that watches "get-shot-fall-down" movies, and one group that watches "get-shot-charge-through-hundreds-of-foes-screaming" movies.

Seriously, though, there's probably a way to set up an experiment without killing lots of people. Do people generally fall down when shot with less-lethal ammo?

~J
FrankTrollman
Do people generally fall down when shot with less-lethal ammo?

I think "double-over and collapse" is the best way to describe it. Here's a clip of someone getting one:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=70...ss+lethal&hl=en

And of course, there's the short-range gut shot in Jackass:

QUOTE (Jackass the Movie)
It's called the pen-prevent.
              It's a  -gram, tail-stabilized bag.
              It'll be traveling about    feet per second.
              Is that lethal?
              It's considered less lethal.
              So, this morning I thought I was taking it in the chest
              with the beanbag projectile,
              but George and his company said no way
              'cause if it hits me in the heart,
              I'm pretty much done with, so, uh...
              We want to take every single precaution...
              Right.
              ...necessary to help protect your vital organs.
              Where are my intestines?
              Are they in that area?
              I think so.
              Awesome.
              Ugh.
              So you're gonna take some practice shots?
              Right.
              Jesus Christ.
              Yeah.
              You know, this is nothing to be messing around with.
              This is nothing for anybody
              to just be thrown into a.  -gauge shotgun
              and-and, uh, you know, think they could take it.
              You know, that's one of the reasons I'm doing this
              is because I can do this in a controlled state.
              Safety's off.
              Going hot.
              That really hurt.
              That looked like it hurt.
              Oh, fuck, dude.
              Did you see the way
              I caught that beanbag with my stomach?
              That's instinct.
              You can't teach that.
              Oh!
              It hurts so much.
              Like going from a prone position to standing is... ooh!
              Ouch.

-Frank
Dog
Eyewitness accounts by people in very stressful situations tend to be rather unreliable.
hobgoblin
i think that have been stated atleast 5 times so far...
Dog
Sorry, should've added "I agree that..." on the beginning of it. Just adding my voice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012