Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FanPro D Newsletter Oct. 2006
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
MYST1C
News and Updates!

German Releases
  • Straßenmagie, the German translation of Street Magic, is finished and ready for release at SPIEL fair in Essen, Oct. 19-22.
  • Unfortunately SOX, the new Franco-German "Hot Spot" sourcebook, has missed its deadline and will not be released at SPIEL. And new release date will be communicated when possible.

American Releases
  • Emergence and Arsenal are close to finished, release is to be expect somewhen this winter. Translation has not yet begun so no release dates for German versions exist yet.
  • Work on Augmented goes well, release is to be expected for spring 2007. Contents still top secret.
  • Work on Corp Zones goes well, release is to be expected for spring 2007. The two main city entries will be Tokyo and Los Angeles.
blakkie
Los Angeles? First they give the whole of SoCal a swirly, and then it gets put into 'Corp Zones'? OK, am I that out of touch with the SR world that I find this puzzling for it to be in the book and not say NYC?
fistandantilus4.0
They seem to have taken a pretty hands off approach to NY for quite a while. Maybe it seems to cliche'? Who knows. I agree that NYC seems much more appropriate for a book called 'Corp Zones", since that's pretty much how they've always defined it. I think they're going for L.A. though because there's a lot more going on there, and let's face it, you can only say "this corp executive is plotting against this corp executive, and watns to do this.." so many ways, and that's pretty much what's going on in New York. besides, they described NY as being one of those corp places where's theres' so much security everywhere you'd get a fine for spitting in a back alley. We already have enough locals with so much security that you can't really run to effectively. They needed something else woudl be my guess.

Besides, now you get to 'run' in New Venice! biggrin.gif
Draconis
Horizon is based in L.A. , NYC has drek.
Synner
And who said NYC isn't in the book?
blakkie
QUOTE (Synner @ Oct 5 2006, 03:51 PM)
And who said NYC isn't in the book?

Well I didn't mean to say/imply/pronounce it wasn't in the book. We are talking about the 2 big slots out of a total of 6, assuming it uses the same format as Runner Havens (which is the plan, correct?). LA just seems to me a really odd selection for a major piece in Corp Zones, given all that's happened with it and the environment around it.

Plus with the relative derth over the past 17 years, and with the rebuilding having been done, some really cool corporate things could introduced as part of NYC. Whereas LA strikes me as somewhere to get your aquatic spelunking freak on.
fistandantilus4.0
I'm hoping that it's part of an effort to give CalFree a bit of a tune up really. Coem to think of it, I don't think we've ever done a run in New York. Just didn't sound interesting the way it was described. It always seemed to me like everyone was to deeply entrenched already. like it was a "let's maintiain teh status quo and just do some business" type place. Hopefully if they do a write up on it , that'll change and give me some more to work with.
Shrike30
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Besides, now you get to 'run' in New Venice! biggrin.gif

But are you wearing a shirt? smile.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Draconis)
Horizon is based in L.A. , NYC has drek.

Well except for the East Coast Stock Exchange which is - well, you know - the main stock exchange for the whole of North America IIRC.
fistandantilus4.0
That was in Boston. Did it get moved back?
FlakJacket
Yeah. I guess after a crazed AI hijacks the busiest and most prestigious IPO you've ever handled you kind of lose the confidence of the business community. wink.gif As of the the main book for Fourth Edition they've moved back to New York.
James McMurray
With any luck NYC will have been converted to a giant maximum security prison. Then they can print a run where the president of the UCAS crashes there and the team is given money (and cranium bombs) to get them to rescue him (and more importantly some data he's got).
fistandantilus4.0
Yeah, make more business for those pre-fab city wall companies out there. Seriously, Chicago, El INfernio, like three cities in Germany. That's the way to make out like a bandit in SR. Giant pre-fab wall companies.
Ancient History
QUOTE (James McMurray)
With any luck NYC will have been converted to a giant maximum security prison. Then they can print a run where the president of the UCAS crashes there and the team is given money (and cranium bombs) to get them to rescue him (and more importantly some data he's got).

One thing I loved about Escape from New York was the fact that they couldn't actually do the wireframe of the city on a computer. They built a scale model, painted black, and went over it with glow-in-the-dark tape in a grid pattern.

Or so the IMDB gods tell me.
zero skill LPB
QUOTE (Ancient History)
One thing I loved about Escape from New York was the fact that they couldn't actually do the wireframe of the city on a computer. They built a scale model, painted black, and went over it with glow-in-the-dark tape in a grid pattern.

Or so the IMDB gods tell me.

Trust these gods. The special edition DVD covers that and many more tidbits of interest.
Geekkake
Boston would've been a much better choice, in my opinion, as one of the two cities to get the most coverage, especially moreso than the Los Angeles Archipelago. I mean, even once the ECSE has been moved back to NYC (and the possible power vacuum), there's the NeoNET corporate HQ slavering over MIT&T grads, with other corps stealing tons of cutting edge R&D.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (blakkie)
OK, am I that out of touch with the SR world that I find this puzzling for it to be in the book

No. It's honestly quite puzzling. Every time Southern California gets mentioned - even in passing - in any part of Shadowrun the stupid factor gets ratchetted up a notch. No exceptions.

At this point we've gone beyond "Aztec forces conquered the largest naval base on the planet by force of arms but couldn't make it any farther because the military of... Orange County? stopped them cold..." all the way to "Dimensional rifts opened up and dropped land formations a kilometer high and more below the waves in an area 200 kilometers across in a massive calamity that somehow managed to not destroy all life on Earth or even seriously disrupt dealings in the local major corporate offices."

At this point there is only thing that can be done to salvage the situation. I'll give you a hint:

It starts wet "Ret" and it ends with "con".

I don't think it's even possible to make the region's official history more retarded, so there's nowhere to go but up.

-Frank
Slithery D
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
At this point we've gone beyond "Aztec forces conquered the largest naval base on the planet by force of arms but couldn't make it any farther because the military of... Orange County? stopped them cold..."

Since when are naval bases well defended against an army large enough to occupy a hostile city of a couple of million? In any case, all of the ships were likely gone after the CFS seceded.

The need to occupy and control a large, hostile population is likely what kept the Azzies from pushing any farther. You can nibble off something like San Diego if you concentrate your forces there, and your supply lines are...short. Remember, the Tir didn't move back from it's farthest line of southern advance into CFS because it was pushed back, it just couldn't hold on in the face of the population taking potshots at them and blowing up their supply convoys. It's the same reason the Azzies would be insane to conquer a gunned up citizenry in Houston or Dallas even if the CAS cut their defenses by 50%.

But, yes, SR California history in general is crazy at best, stupid at worst.
kzt
QUOTE (Slithery D)

And that differs from SR non-California history how?
Slithery D
Hey, the EuroWars being ended by a mysterious force of uncatchable commandos and super high tech bombers with no discoverable affiliation makes perfect sense. And why the Supreme Court hasn't made corporations sovereign entities yet still puzzles me.

But I'll admit the idea that there might ever be fraud involved with electronic voting in a presidential election was a bit over the top.
kzt
QUOTE (Slithery D)
But I'll admit the idea that there might ever be fraud involved with electronic voting in a presidential election was a bit over the top.

Yeah, that's well established as being impossible. Just ask Diebold. Odd how the momentum towards electronic voting seems to have faded. . .

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006...n_machin_1.html
Draconis
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

I don't think it's even possible to make the region's official history more retarded, so there's nowhere to go but up.

-Frank

Heh I agree but I think you're just pissed because you didn't get to write the new stuff. Hell I'm pissed I didn't get to write it, I spent 26 years around there. smile.gif
Blue eyes
About LA there seems to be a contradiction in the corebook.

Afaik LA is still part of Pueblo Corporate Council, atleast thats what the map states at the end of the 4th rulebook. But under the profiles in the same book on page 42 Horizion is said to have its HQ in LA which on that page is part of Calfornia Free State. I assume thats a typo and that LA is still under Pueblo control which was a result of the earthquake plothook right?
Deva
As it reads in Shadowrun 4. edition errata v. 1.3 (dated December 28, 2005):

p. 48 Horizon
Headquarters should be "Pueblo Corporate Council" not "California Free State"
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Blue eyes)
About LA there seems to be a contradiction in the corebook.

Afaik LA is still part of Pueblo Corporate Council, atleast thats what the map states at the end of the 4th rulebook. But under the profiles in the same book on page 42 Horizion is said to have its HQ in LA which on that page is part of Calfornia Free State. I assume thats a typo and that LA is still under Pueblo control which was a result of the earthquake plothook right?

Oh that's not the least of it.

California is, by population (and practically land area as well), half Los Angeles. There are 35 million people in California and over 17 million of them live in LA. In SoNA, the PCC conquered LA, and their population didn't grow! The population of the CFS also hasn't shrunk. It's still in the 30 millions.

So apparently the entire population of LA got up and moved to San Francisco and Fresno. That's the equivalent of the mass migration of the entire population of Ireland, Israel, and Sweden combined.

The contradictin in the basic book has actually been addressed in errata (Horizon is based in the PCC). The fundamental underlying stench of poor planning has not. The entire plotline for the region is incoherent. The apparent demand is for California to be essentially unchanged while being an unimportant political entity. That's impossible. California has as many people as Poland and a bigger economy than France. It's the largest political entity in the region, and changing that has huge ripple effects that the Shadowrun devs have heretofor been unwilling or unable to address.

-Frank
Zen Shooter01
Frank? It's going to be okay, all right?

Game developers hate LA for some reason. They're always nuking it or dropping it into the sea with an earthquake or something (in defiance of geology).

But you're right. The SR history is ridiculous.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Frank? It's going to be okay, all right?

Well I think we've just found Patrick Goodman's equal in dislike of part of the Shadowrun setting, for him Texas, in Frank's reservations about LA and California. biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
of all the things to be annoyed about...
lorechaser
QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Oct 6 2006, 04:31 PM)

And that differs from SR non-California history how?

And that differs from non-SR California history how?

"I am the Gubernator!"
Blue eyes
Ty for clearing that up, I'll have a closer look at the erretas in the future b4 asking wink.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
Of all the things to be annoyed about...

Eh. I'm not all that thrilled about what those wankers Sargent and Gascoigne did the UK, the Thatcher years on speed, even with some of the changes Shadows of Europe was able to make so I can kind of understand. But yeah, Frank is somwhat amusing in his rabid hatred of how they treated Cali just for sheer vehemence quality. smile.gif
Draconis
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Oct 10 2006, 02:16 AM)
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
Of all the things to be annoyed about...

Eh. I'm not all that thrilled about what those wankers Sargent and Gascoigne did the UK, the Thatcher years on speed, even with some of the changes Shadows of Europe was able to make so I can kind of understand. But yeah, Frank is somwhat amusing in his rabid hatred of how they treated Cali just for sheer vehemence quality. smile.gif

Well we do live here, but that's not it. I think it has something to do with it not just being a mistake, it's a glaring mistake.
I mean I'm with Frank on this one. It's absurd that the PCC population 12 million, took a sprawl with over 17 million damn people in it over.
Apparently you can find 5 million mercs and get them on long term retainer.

That's just lame.

Those east coast fools are always dissing us west coast rappers. biggrin.gif
lorechaser
Well, 5 million people really isn't the point - the point is organization and firepower.

That being said, I haven't followed the history in CA at all, so I won't judge if that was a factor or not.

But 12 million motivated and militaristic folks could easily conquer 17 million slackers.

Heck, go watch the preview for 300, or read the history it's based on. wink.gif
Ophis
While the lack of population jump for the PCC was stupid, it was probably a mistake as some one was probably just porting old figures over. Secondly how many troops do the PCC need to hold an area that invited them in pretty much? At least that's how I read what's happned with LA.
Slithery D
Agreed. LA short term may have only needed several thousand riot control troops. And once the PCC committed corporate security would have likely been more eager than before to help out rather than hunker down or prepare to write their entire investment off.

Long term, of course, LA needed a hookup with someone who could help provide the usual benefits of belonging to a functioning nation state.
FrankTrollman
The problem here isn't really "OMG they totally did unexpected things with California!" It's the future, weird things happen. Also, it's science fiction/fantasy, we're willing to posit the emergence of Magic and a number of other unlikely events. No, the problem is that wildly world changing events happened to California and the world didn't change.

Los Angeles is one of the largest commercial ports in the world. And Long Beach is also one of the largest commercial ports in the world. Combined (and they are combined, you can walk between them without ever being outside of the combined port system) they are the fifth largest commercial port in the world. They rank behind Singapore, Hong Kong, Shaghai, and Shenzen. It's chief trading partners are China and Nippon.

What does that mean? It means that a container ship docks in LA from Hong Kong or ships off from LA to Hng Kong every fucking day. That means that trade between Hong Kong and LA is worth about 18,000,000 nuyen.gif a day (in 2004 the WTCA measured trade between the two cities as being worth 6.47 billion dollars). So LA sank into the sea. It's science fiction, you can do that. Starship Troopers had aliens shoot a meteor into Buenos Aires. Shit happens.

But, if shit happens to a six and a half billion dollar trading partner such that your city stops trading 18 million dollars a day and starts trading zero dollars a day along the same trade route, I would expect economic ramifications. I would expect people in Hong Kong to be going "Holy shit, what the hell do we do now that we are sitting on roughly 9 million nuyen.gif in trade goods accumulating in warehouses every fucking day?!" That's a crisis of over production that will floor your whole damn city. That means a day's wages for every man, woman and child every five weeks.

Let's put that in perspective: Hong Kong to LA trade is so important that if Hong Kong can't find a new market in five weeks every single man woman and child in the entire country is fired! That's a big deal. Does it get a mention in Runner Havens? Do they talk about the scramble to reassign shipping priorities or the tremendous layoffs? Do they talk about the fact that Hong Kong consumes a billion dollars of Californian food every year and that with the closing of Los Angeles that's 700 million dollars worth of food that isn't getting into the city? Or to put it another way, every single man woman and child in the city goes hungry for a week this year because the food that was contracted for years in advance simply cannot get to their port? No!

With the destruction of Los Angeles, the people of Hong Kong are starving and unemployed. It's a big deal, and it doesn't even get mentioned. Oh, by the way, 2.7% of our GDP was just destroyed by a stroke of the pen from Demonseed Elite. sleepy.gif

Same with the PCC. Yeah, it's a powerful economy and has a lot of major magic and sweet military science and a good PR campaign. Sure, they could pull a fast one and convince enough people in Southern California that they'd be better off as part of the PCC than the CFS and get the region to flip. With the drone riots going down they got the checkbook that they could potentially send in a probe team and buy that city. But then what? There's still 3 Los Angelinos for every 2 Pueblos. It's like when Scottland "took control" of England in 1603. How did that work out?

And while we're on the subject, how do the people in Tir Tairngire eat? They have a militarized border with California, they relied on Californian food before, and now they've gone to Yeoman Subsistance Farming. What the fuck? Where does the food on their plates come from? It doesn't come from peasants because tha's stupid. It used to come from the Salinas Valley, but apparently it doesn't anymore.

---

That's the problem. If you kick California in the nuts, every other region that is currently dependent upon California also gets kicked in the nuts. That's what having a world trade economy means. California is the fifth largest argicultural producer in the world in 2006. That means that almost everyone is eating Californian food at least occassionally. A sudden cutoff of Californian trade results in world-wide famines. But Shadowrun hasn't had that. The "OMG, we just took 32 billion dollars of direct farm sales out of the equation, equivalevent to a week's dinners for every man, woman, and child on the planet, what the fuck?" that would be absolutely required were such an event to go down has not occured.

-Frank
lorechaser
A couple quick points:

1. 2 PCC to 3 LAzians - that assumes that they are distinct. The theory is that the PCC came in, took over, and converted folks. They aren't a hostile occupying military force. Say 1/3 of the people of LA believe in the PCC, and convert to their side.

We're now from 12 mil vs 17 mill to 18 mill vs 12 mill. That's 3/2 in PCC's favor. And of those 12 million left, 1/2 will be apathetic, and maybe half upset. So 18 to 6. 3/1 in favor, with a potential to increase if they want to.

But is LA happy on PCC?

2. I see you have a lot of research, and a lot of well thought out ideas. But really, I'm not that interested in the how Hong Kong would restructure after LA fell apart. It would have been cool to see it mentioned, and it would show a nice deep system. The fact is, I'm pretty sure HK would adjust. When you're creating whole histories out of the air, sometimes you can't examine each and every part, and sometimes you simply don't have the time to really get down and dirty with it - you go with a cool idea, and then move on. It's folks like us, with too much time on our hands during our day jobs, that can spend that much effort to analyze it. wink.gif

I suppose my perspective is skewed by the fact that I've done some writing (not for Shadowrun). I know how much frickin' work is involved, and I only put out a portion of a couple books! It's also why I have a lot less respect for minute wording debates nowadays. wink.gif

And besides: Given the chance, who *wouldn't* "kick California in the nuts" as you put it? I mean, come on - it's California!
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Frank Trollman)
Oh, by the way, 2.7% of our GDP was just destroyed by a stroke of the pen from Demonseed Elite. 

The pen is truely mightier...

Where does the food that goes to Japan ship out of? California also supplies a huge chunk of their food as well.
Slithery D
Um, Frank, most of this trade disruption would have happened fifty years ago when the US blew up. There's quite a bit of difference between 2006's (a) ship to LA, (b) transport by train/truck/whatever to interior point of the US and 2070's (a) ship to LA, (b) transport to NAN border, © pay duties/suffer additional custom inspection/comply with pissant rules requiring use of local transportation methods, (d) possibly repeat at a second NAN border, (e) repeat at destination UCAS/CAS.

Does everything shipped into LA today end up outside the 2070 CFS or PCC borders? No, but the big majority of it. Does it make sense that the North American successor states haven't worked out some sort of rules to make intercontinental trade easier? No, but "easier" doesn't mean "easier than shipping it through a canal direct to the East Coast or putting it on a sub orbital."

Even before LA fell into the sea it's importance as a port would be drastically reduced.
Slithery D
It's also pretty easy to handwave California's food production plunging. No more federal subsidies for certain crops from departed US contributor states; a crackdown on cheap labor due to Azzie invasion fears (but somewhat offset by machines); water costs incresaing due to breakdown in law enforcement, urban growth, etc.; and increased transportation/tariff costs when shipping to old markets in the CAS/UCAS. Pretty much all of these would have been abrupt shocks, not gradual changes that CA agribusiness would have been able to adjust to easily.

Hell, if CA and other agricultural producers still produced everything they did today, why would everyone be eating soy and vat grown crap?
Slithery D
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Where does the food that goes to Japan ship out of? California also supplies a huge chunk of their food as well.

It does today. In SR much more probably comes from Phillipine soy/vat farms/factories.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Slithery D)
Hell, if CA and other agricultural producers still produced everything they did today, why would everyone be eating soy and vat grown crap?

That's a fine point. Real food is an oddity in SR at this point. Everything is soy or fake foodstuffs. So the agribusinesses all theoretically crashed a while back, either because of that, or prompting that....
Slithery D
Well, thinking on it some more, worldwide food production will have plunged due to (1) environmental degradation, including various irradiated areas that were previously arable, (2) land no longe farmed in the NAN and Amazonia (environmenta/political reasons) and Africa (mass chaos), (3) remaining arable land like CA is risky as a security matter - do you want to starve if the NAN rattles its sabers and closes its railroads and airspace to food shipments?

I note that Cyberpirates had the massive land area of Puerto Rico used as a big producer of vat food. Soy presumably still needs land to grow it in, although probably less than before, but it's not obvious that the vat farms and whatever fungi/bacteria/whatever they use are too picky about their biomass feedstocks.
Slithery D
Muahaha! This also explains why Tir Nan Og is really so geopolitically important that it got it's own sourcebook and everyon fears it - it has a dominating lead in real cows worth multimillions. All bow to the awesome economic might of real Irish agriculture.
knasser
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Oct 11 2006, 01:52 PM)
Well, thinking on it some more, worldwide food production will have plunged due to (1) environmental degradation, including various irradiated areas that were previously arable, (2) land no longe farmed in the NAN and Amazonia (environmenta/political reasons) and Africa (mass chaos), (3) remaining arable land like CA is risky as a security matter - do you want to starve if the NAN rattles its sabers and closes its railroads and airspace to food shipments?

I note that Cyberpirates had the massive land area of Puerto Rico used as a big producer of vat food. Soy presumably still needs land to grow it in, although probably less than before, but it's not obvious that the vat farms and whatever fungi/bacteria/whatever they use are too picky about their biomass feedstocks.

I've never quite got a grip on how energy supply works in 2070 SR. Do we have fusion? Is there still oil? One reason I've used for the absence of "real food" is that with natural oil reserves being so scarce, a large proportion of arable land has been converted for energy crops - i.e. bio-fuel. I have other reasons that make the VAT-food culture more plausible, but this is one of them and it could certainly account for a lot.
Slithery D
Biofuel is an excellent thought.

A few SR2 era sourcebooks made glancing mention of fusion plants, I believe. I'm pretty sure Gaiatronics has one in Salish-Shidhe.

There have been a couple of mentions that S-K owns most of the "little remaining oil" (or words to that effect) in Arabia.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Slithery D)
A few SR2 era sourcebooks made glancing mention of fusion plants, I believe. I'm pretty sure Gaiatronics has one in Salish-Shidhe.

AFAIK nuclear fusion is indeed the main energy source of the SR world. In addition, solar cells with much higher efficiency than today have been developed - just think of Japan's solar satellite fleet mentioned as a major power source for much of today's Third World countries.
fistandantilus4.0
IIRC, there was supposed to be a plant in L.A. Wasn't the airport also supposed to be on a flotilla or something like that after a major quake? I always thought that was a little wonky. Been forever since I read the CFS book.
Draconis
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Oct 11 2006, 02:46 PM)
Well, 5 million people really isn't the point - the point is organization and firepower.

That being said, I haven't followed the history in CA at all, so I won't judge if that was a factor or not.

But 12 million motivated and militaristic folks could easily conquer 17 million slackers. 

Heck, go watch the preview for 300, or read the history it's based on.  wink.gif

Organization and firepower are not the point. Geez why does everyone think the world works like a FPS these days? Ok PCC takes over guns a blazing, slackers or not. Then what? You have to control that population. I don't even have to give examples of how hard that really is because you can go turn on CNN right now.

All this has been known since 1513, Machiavelli's The Prince.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Draconis)
Organization and firepower are not the point. Geez why does everyone think the world works like a FPS these days?

I'm trying to figure exactly where "Superior organization and firepower" translated in to "Like in an FPS where you conquer a country."

My examples were based on things like the Roman Empire, Hitler's subjugation of Europe, the US invading and toppling any number of south american regimes, etc. I mean, heck, I referenced Thermopylae in my post!

I haven't read the particular background here, but it's easy enough for a militarized aggressor to take and hold a larger area. In fact, I believe the particular book you mentioned has a section on holding conquered terrirtory, which includes things like "Move in" and "Don't rock the boat." Doing such, I would say a clever leader could easily take CA.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012