Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lorelei Angel
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Synner
I was going over Dunkie's Will recently and I found the following legacy:
To Lorelei Angel, whose voice is like that of the stars, I know from our conversations that you have no further need for wealth. So I leave 3 million nuyen to be donated in your name to the charity of your choice.

Embarassingly (for me) I can't seem to track down previous references to Ms. Angel in canon material even though I'm dead certain there are some. So I'm falling back on all you SR fanboys out there for help.
Hot Wheels
Could it be a reference to Thalia?
Synner
For some reason I'm more inclined to her being a 1st Ed. rock- or sim-star like Maria Mercurial but again the actual reference iludes me.
Ancient History
She's a musician from way back in the day. When I return to mine demesne and have access to my library again, I'll see what I can find.
Siege
You might have to skim the 1st edition media book, but I'm inclined to think it was a "fluff" piece designed to flesh out the will and possibly offer a plot hook.

Not unlike the "Excalibur" reference.

-Siege
Req
I may be off base here, but I thought the Excalibur reference was aimed squarely at our good friend Harlequin - along with Richard the Lionheart's armor, he's now equipped for his task of leading a Great Crusade against the Horrors. I don't remember whether the will came before Harley's Back or after...

...and wait a second, Lorelei's name sounds familiar. Wasn't she affiliated with Dunkie earlier in his career? A translator maybe?
Siege
It was -- but then Dunk also said

"I also leave you the sword Excalibur — unfortunately, I can't seem to find it at the moment. To whomever finds Excalibur, deliver it to the Draco Foundation for a reward and title. The Draco Foundation will promptly turn the sword over to you, my knight."

Which means one of two things:

1) Excalibur does exist and a whole bunch of people just wet themselves
2) Excalibur doesn't exist and Dunk just made a bunch of people wet themselves for no reason

-Siege
JongWK
@ Reg:

H'sB is before Dunkie's Will, which in turn is after World without End.
Ancient History
No, the order is:

Harlequin's Back

House of the SUn

Worlds Without End

Dunkelzahn's Will

The general consensus is that Excalibur doesn't exist, although it might come into beings. Certainly there was one on the metaplanes...but it might not be a reflection of the actual sword. All those interested, read Tom Dowd's short story "Post Mortem," on my site among others.
locomotiveman
How does "House of the Sun" come into this matter, just as a place holder in the list?
Ancient History
It invovled Harlequin and the horrors, and occurred between Harlequin's Back and Worlds WIthout End, 'cause Harley makes that clear in WWE. I like to be inclusive.
Kurukami
Hmmm. I had thought that, given the ending of Harlequin's Back, the Horrors were kind of pushed back from the realms of Man. How were they so close to breaking through in House of the Sun if that's the case?
Ancient History
ANother group of idjits built another bridge...or, to be corect, opened a doorway. Harelquin's astral quest prevented the Horrors from coming through the Ghost Dance Spike, at least until Thayla fell. Other mana spikes, summonings and gateways could allow them to enter. Summonings would still work, but the Dragon Heart diffuses mana spikes now, and I imagine any gateways would be visible too, and well guarded.
Synner
Arrggg. Checked Shadowbeat and still nothing. I know it's out there but where? I just know I won't get this out of my mind until I find it.

To spice things up for potential helpers I promise I'll try my best to include the nick of anyone who finds the reference as a shadowtalker in some upcoming published work. (How's that for a carrot?) wink.gif
Sepherim
That's cheating!!! sarcastic.gif grinbig.gif
L.D
I don't have the book atm (and I don't know when I'll get it back) so I decided to post my hunch here. I think she might be in Dreamchipper, but I'm not sure. Anyone who can check it out?
SCLariat
In a past campaign of mine, Excalibur was the middle ages name of a sword from Earthdawn called the "Purifier." The Purifier is one of the (if not the most) powerful magic items from Earthdawn. The Purifier is a devastating weapon against the Horrors, and it can kill nearly any Horror (with a few exceptions) if properly threaded (think of unlocking levels of the sword like in SNES Legend of Zelda). If Harlequin was going to be fighting the Horrors, I would wager that would be an important weapon to have.
Req
I got most of those old modules and I *KNOW* I've heard her name before. We'll see when I get home tonight.
Synner
QUOTE (Req)
I got most of those old modules and I *KNOW* I've heard her name before. We'll see when I get home tonight.

See? Frustrating isn't it?
D.Generate
I'm Not sure if i remember correctly and since most of my books are in storage right now I can't look it up to be sure. But The old adventure Dark Angel might be the place you need to look.I'm pretty sure the runners are hired to guard a singer and as usual its more than meets the eye. I could be wrong since my memory is failing me of late. I will confirm this tomorrow as I will make a special trip to the storage place just to retrive the "lost volumes" as I like to call them.
sidekick
Well, I don't know if this counts but...

Portfolio of a Dragon pg 12

"//{CONTINUITY INTERRUPT}// Point the camera over left, Joe, there's something-- oh, they're clearing the dance floor. Hey, that's Lorelei Angel! since when does she sing jazz? 

[snip snip]

INTERNAL EDIT MEMO: Play with the sound mix. Applause, happy babble, then Angel's alto HIGHLIGHTED over sax for following line: ' This will be my shining hour/Warm and happy and bright...'. Trail off, cut to voiceover, insert dance-floor shot"

The song she is singing happens to be "My Shining Hour" by Harold Arlen

So that is all I got. She shows up singing at Dunkelzahn's inauguration party, and it's implied that she is a famous musician.
Nephyte
I'm Not sure if i remember correctly and since most of my books are in storage right now I can't look it up to be sure. But The old adventure Dark Angel might be the place you need to look.I'm pretty sure the runners are hired to guard a singer and as usual its more than meets the eye. I could be wrong since my memory is failing me of late. I will confirm this tomorrow as I will make a special trip to the storage place just to retrive the "lost volumes" as I like to call them.

[ Spoiler ]

By way of that I've read the following (or rather briefly skimmed)

One Stage Before
Dragon Hunt
Dark Angel
Celtic Double Cross
Queen Euphoria
Double Exposure
Imago
Ivy & Chrome
Divided Assets
Bottled Demon
A Killing Glare

I didn't find anything in there, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It was a fairly quick skim, but the name didn't pop out at me in looking at any of them. Unfortuneately, that pretty much exhausts my supply of old-school adventure mods.
Large Mike

WHAM!

pg. 13, MitS.

There are some magical rockers out there, the best known of which are the bands Til Es Hault and Shield Wall and the solo performers Loreli Angel and Enoch Ian Keys,...

I'd like my Shadowtalk now.

grinbig.gif biggrin.gif grinbig.gif biggrin.gif grinbig.gif biggrin.gif
Nephyte
So I log on to post my discovery after god knows how many hours of searching ....

And Large Mike beat me! ARGGGGGHHHHH!

H8 for you Mr. Big Mikey buy! mad.gif

Good job though, and sorry, but no other referances found by me. I'd still place bets that she's included in a 1E adventure somewhere, just not one I have access to.
Synner
Thanks Mike. You'll get your ST the first chance I get. However, MitS is relatively recent and I'm pretty sure it was a 1st Ed reference. She wasn't the focus of any of the adventures which means she was either mentioned in fluff fiction in a sourcebook or the Seattle Intelligencer at the back of one of the adventure books.
Finbar
Obviously i'm too late for a shadowtalk, but one of the Early novels has a reference to her as well, background passing fluff. I'll look when I get home from work (where I am now)
It might be the one that has the Orc Cat Shaman, the Light Elemental and the news reporter.
Wireknight
Wasn't she an in-character example of a paranormal animal shaman, specifically the Phoenix totem? Mentioned in Awakenings: 2057?
L.D
Wireknight wins the prize! biggrin.gif

She's mentioned in a post on page 17 in Awakenings as a phoenix shaman who uses magic in her performances.
Synner
Now that sounds about right, I'll see about both of you getting some sort of mention.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012