Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: decking for dummies
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
child of insanity
i'm using SR3, and one of my players is going to do some decking on the side. i've never had to GM a player decking, nor have i ever even seen one played. so... suggestions? tips? it's really going to be only a sometimes thing for him, so i don't know how much effort to put into it. i'm going over the rules for decking now, but help would really be appreciated.
Bodak
Have you read through this thread?

There are also some revised rules if you're looking for house rules and/or ways to stay a step ahead of the player's "what if"s.
eidolon
Also, if you're only going to do it once in a while, and it's not a major focus of the game, there are some "Quick Decking Rules" in the back of Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book. I don't know if you have access, but if you do they're worth checking out.
Pendaric
My 2 cents is to be ready to free form on the dice rolling side as EVERYTHING is contested dice rolls. Perhapes use probibility stats instead of dice for the host. Speeds things up.
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Bodak)
Have you read through this thread?

That topic leads off with consecutive posts containing links referring to other topics, and the links are dead.

How necessary to the topic were those two links?

Or perhaps that is a rhetorical question, because as I begin to read the topic, posters are immediately referred to first link, and it is no longer there.
PlainWhiteSocks
QUOTE (RainOfSteel)

That topic leads off with consecutive posts containing links referring to other topics, and the links are dead.

How necessary to the topic were those two links?

Or perhaps that is a rhetorical question, because as I begin to read the topic, posters are immediately referred to first link, and it is no longer there.

Those links are really not needed. The thread is long, but it is a really good example of how running the matrix works on both sides of the GM Screen.

The tables from Matrix (around pg163?) are invaluable for speeding things up if you want to run everything by the book. You might consider having a copy of them available for everyone involved.

Wounded Ronin
If you're going to use the full decking rules be prepared for really long parts of your game where it's just you and the decker and the rest of the people at the table get pizza. You might as well entertain everyone with really colourful descriptions of really disgusting and horrifying ICE imagery. For example, once I had a player who tried to deck Halls, so I had the ICE look like sticky coughdrops of death.

Honestly, I'd advise you just to simplify everything as much as possible unless everyone really cares about decking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012