Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to beat a levitating invisible dead horse
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi)
As for the invisibility question... Maybe SR3R should just drop improved invisibility and be done with this mess.

Believe me, it's tempting, but then having nothing to counter cameras with… and then we still haven't solved the question about the eyecam, which I'll try to get back to later today.

~J
Bodak
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
but then having nothing to counter cameras with
How about two applied spells 'Detect Camera' and 'Wreck Camera'?
Fortune
QUOTE (Bodak)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
but then having nothing to counter cameras with
How about two applied spells 'Detect Camera' and 'Wreck Camera'?

That lacks a certain subtlety that is sometimes required, or maybe even preferred during the commission of some shadowruns. wink.gif
hobgoblin
heh, maybe call it disreguard rather then invisibility.

im there, but the camera was magicaly told to disreguard my existence, so therefor im not on the screen or on the recording wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (nezumi)
As for the invisibility question...  Maybe SR3R should just drop improved invisibility and be done with this mess.

...I'm all for it.
Kagetenshi
I've actually got another proposal. I'm going to let it stew overnight and if it still seems like a decent idea in the morning I'll stick it on a fencepost and see if it gets shot down.

~J
Fortune
I'll make sure I clean my shotgun. wink.gif
Ryu
Now where was that damn grenade launcher?

Edit: Disregard works much better than invisibility. If you just didnīt notice someone you are not suddenly required to know what was behind him.
hobgoblin
until someone looks at the recording im afraid. didnt think of that until now frown.gif

ie, what happens the moment a camera disregards a person, but is still on the recording? is the person foggy, so that no description can be created?
eidolon
If a camera fails to 'see' a person under Imp Invis, they aren't on the recording.
Ryu
I thought you wanted to replace basic invis. by disregard. It would not affect any technical device, so someone looking at a recording would see the character right on. So the cameraman would see you on the screen, but not directly.

Regarding the instant-cybercam-video-replay trick, it would not work. You know that this is your vision, and the spell makes you disregard the spellcaster. A technical device is only a valid way to see the spellcaster if the affected target does percieve its output as something else than his normal vision. (So ie. overlays of thermographic data over your field of vision would be out too).

Donīt know if that makes sense.
nezumi
If I were writing the rules, I'd have disregard/SEP for work on people and loop for electronics - it keeps giving the same output regardless of input. Ther former is illusion, the latter is not, and is more likely to have other issues (like if a variance ofoutput is expected/working on unintended devices).

Advantages of this plan:
1) No super spell everyone has at force one and everyone casts. Now it's two reasonably powered spells.
2) Rules make sense - illusions should not affect electronic devices, just people (I'd separate trid phantasm into a new area as well)
3) People are more likely to either choose SEP and exciting combat scenes or Loop and social engineering, rather than imp. invis and just walk by everyone
4) Makes hackers working in real time with the party more useful
5) Makes cameras a more common security measure (or at least more useful), and otherwise turns the threat back towards planning how to break into a place, which oftentimes isn't the case

Disadvantage:
1) Screws the mage. No wait, that's an advantage too.
Bodak
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I've actually got another proposal. I'm going to let it stew overnight
No SR3R version of Imp. Invisibility appeared yet? Did you lose sight of your original idea, disregard it due to other threads or did you find some kind of problem with it? What was it anyway? I'm curious smile.gif
will_rj
He already posted it.
You probably couldnīt get enough successes in you perception test, thatīs it.

At least it works. Are you using cybereyes or wearing goggles of any sort ?
Kagetenshi
I did?

I'll put it in its own thread (and give a proper explanation) soon, but the basic idea was to change Invis into either Ignore and Improved Ignore or Ignore and some other camera-defying spell.

~J
Bodak
QUOTE (will_rj)
He already posted it.
Lollingtons smile.gif That's a no on the cybereyes (so far) but I am viewing Dumpshock through some kind of electronic remote viewing device so perhaps the little PHP-goblin failed its eyecam test before transmission frown.gif

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Looking forward to it.
will_rj
QUOTE (Bodak)
QUOTE (will_rj)
He already posted it.
Lollingtons smile.gif That's a no on the cybereyes (so far) but I am viewing Dumpshock through some kind of electronic remote viewing device so perhaps the little PHP-goblin failed its eyecam test before transmission frown.gif

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Looking forward to it.

OMG ! Now I botched the test ! I can see Kageīs text in his original post, but i fail to see it in Bodakīs quote. I see (*), every quote layered adds +1TN... Iīll be using this ruling in my tonightīs game ! eek.gif

(*) Well, not really
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012