Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to beat a levitating invisible dead horse
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
will_rj
I´ve searched a bit before clicking in the New Topic button, but i´ve failed to find that point addressed in some old topic.

Here it is: The group´s mage casted Imp. Invisibility in the Rigger´s van. I didn´t want to break the game´s momentum by starting a rules argument, so i said ok, it can be done, let´s use TN 4, as stated in the spell´s text.
I´ve warned the players that most probably that ruling would be changed in our next session and now i would like to hear some opinions on it.

Should the TN be the vehicle´s OR , or even worse, (B+A)/2 + OR ?

I´ve thought about changing the Invisibility spell and make it work like Levitate, which has TN increases for every 100Kg levitated, what do you ppl think ? Trolls would get the shaft, but it seems more or less reasonable. Perhaps this ruling would only work with Improved Inv, since the other Inv spell is, IIRC, not physical.

And there´s more: If the vehicle is invisible, so are the seats ? What about the golden dice hanging in the mirror ? And the goddamn rigger ? Sound too much for a spell with a relatively low drain. How would an area version of invisibility work ?

Edit: Added missing text. (boldface)
Fortune
The target of Improved Invisibility is the person or persons viewing (or not in this case) the illusion. Not the subject, which in this case is the van.

In other words, the Object Resistance doesn't come into play at all, as you are not trying to affect the van itself, but merely other people's perceptions of the van.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (will_rj)
And there´s more: If the vehicle is invisible, so are the seats ? What about the golden dice hanging in the mirror ? And the goddamn rigger ?

To answer this question would require pinning down exactly how Invisibility works, which is damnably hard. Suffice it to say that there are strong arguments against "it makes things transparent", which is what it would have to be to have the seats, dice, and Rigger matter.

The classical version of this dilemma is "I cast Invisibility on the door. Do I see the room beyond?"

~J
hyzmarca
I would curb this by ruling that the van's invisibility does not make the passengers invisible, they require their own personal invisibility spells unless they are cyberneticly attached to the van and the van has paid for them with essence.

This gives you Wonder Woman's Invisible Jet syndrome. Yes, it is invisible, but people are going to know that you are riding in it.
toturi
Then you'd get the situation that Kage described. The question then would be "Which situation is worse?"
will_rj
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 9 2006, 11:30 PM)

The classical version of this dilemma is "I cast Invisibility on the door. Do I see the room beyond?"

At least this one is addressed in here

http://www.srrpg.com/resources/faq.shtml#4

If you cast Invisibility on a wall, can you then cast spells at targets on the other side since line of sight is no longer obstructed, while still receiving cover from the wall from bullets?
Yes. If you successfully cast Invisibility on a wall (keep in mind that the Force of the spell must be equal to or greater than half the wall's Object Resistance), then it no longer blocks LOS and you can cast spells through it (except for elemental manipulations, which will still hit the wall). Likewise, the invisible wall will not provide cover from any ranged attacks (unless the attacker resists the spell's effect), though it will provide an armor bonus, since the bullets must still pass through the wall.

Edit: And it seems to kinda answer my question, since the OR is actually being used.
Kagetenshi
That's from the FAQ, which makes it… controversial.

~J
will_rj
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

I´ll prolly stick with my 100Kg ruling, even though i´m not sure that invisibility should be related with the object´s weight, at least i´m sure that it shouldn´t be related with the object´s resistance. Why should a diamond ring be harder to be made invisible than , say, jelly ?
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I would curb this by ruling that the van's invisibility does not make the passengers invisible, they require their own personal invisibility spells unless they are cyberneticly attached to the van and the van has paid for them with essence.

This is so unbelievably funny. smile.gif

So... How much essence does a minivan get? Do armor plating and weapon installations reduce it? Do aftermark add-ons remain visible unless paid for in essence? smile.gif

Heheh. In all honesty, I would say that the van becomes invisible, and the occupants do not unless also made invisible with seperate spells that must also be sustained.
hyzmarca
Normally, vans would not get essence. However, if the van was a flesh form bug spirit using SR4 rules then essence=force.
hobgoblin
by using astral perception and a levitated stick...
will_rj
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Normally, vans would not get essence. However, if the van was a flesh form bug spirit using SR4 rules then essence=force.

That said, i would like to add that the invisible van issue happened in a Bug City game. But we´re playing by SR3 rules, so we only have to worry if the van is someone else´s ally spirit. And, of course, if it just happens to be dikoted, then what would be it´s OR ?
Trax
I always thought Wonder Woman's invisible jet was lame. How do you pilot something that you can't see!
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Trax)
I always thought Wonder Woman's invisible jet was lame. How do you pilot something that you can't see!

Through the magic of BDSM and bisexual polygamy.

Seriously, the husband-wife team that created Wonder Woman modeled her after their live-in lover, with whom they had a revolving BDSM relationship. This goes far to explain why wonder woman became powerless when her bracelets were chained together.

odei
QUOTE (will_rj)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 9 2006, 11:56 PM)

~J

I´ll prolly stick with my 100Kg ruling, even though i´m not sure that invisibility should be related with the object´s weight, at least i´m sure that it shouldn´t be related with the object´s resistance. Why should a diamond ring be harder to be made invisible than , say, jelly ?

By the same token, why is something that's heavy more difficult than something that's lightweight? The size of a subject would be better, though I think that's what you're getting at.

Also, isn't OR based on how manufactured or processed something is, not its density? So a toxic jelly compound may be very difficult to use magic on, while a diamond is fairly natural. You might be confusing OR with BR.
will_rj
QUOTE (odei)
Also, isn't OR based on how manufactured or processed something is, not its density? So a toxic jelly compound may be very difficult to use magic on, while a diamond is fairly natural. You might be confusing OR with BR.

er...

why don´t we all pretend that i knew what i was talking about ? question.gif
Fygg Nuuton
Since invisibility doesn't make anything transparant, it CAN be used on the van. Everything within it is also invisible.

However, the truck that rams into them is not.
John Campbell
That particular FAQ ruling is an enemy to actual written rules, long-established magical principles, sane gameplay, and even internal consistency. I recommend printing out a copy, ritually destroying it with fire, and then forgetting it ever existed.

(Using illusion spells to establish LOS for casting. Shambling Zombie Christ, what were they thinking? What's next, making a Trid Phantasm of somebody and then using it to target spells on them?)

And given that Invisibility affects a subject and their gear (I loaned out my books to someone I'm trying to hook on SR, so I can't quote chapter and verse, but it's something to that effect), I think that the logical conclusion is that it should make the van and all its contents and conceptually associated things (like the spare tire on the back, the "Dunkie For Prez" bumper sticker, and the kayak strapped to the roofrack) invisible, for as long as they're in/attached to the van. Stuff that enters/becomes attached to the van after the casting is trickier, but I lean towards leaving it visible unless the caster is present and takes a moment to adjust the spell to cover it. I'd also disallow making anything invisible that's larger than the caster's area effect radius (with normal modifiers for increasing said radius).

The spell shouldn't have to beat the van's OR, but should have to meet the Force requirements necessary to affect any technological sensors that are trying to detect the van (assuming Improved Invisibility, of course, the other being unable to affect technological sensors at all). That FAQ directly contradicts this, but, again, kill it with fire.
Bodak
QUOTE (will_rj)
I´ll prolly stick with my 100Kg ruling, even though i´m not sure that invisibility should be related with the object´s weight, at least i´m sure that it shouldn´t be related with the object´s resistance.

Kilograms are not a scale of weight (a force, measured in Newtons) but a scale of mass (amount of stuff). So if you are trying to affect a 45kg dwarf on the surface of the earth (normal weight), at the bottom of a mine shaft (less weight) or at the top of a mountain (less weight) the TN will remain the same because the dwarf is still made of the same amount of stuff and you're trying to affect it all (such as with levitate for example). Object resistance, say using the Ram/Wreck spells, describes how unnatural an object is and thus how hard it is to affect it with magic. It's easier to cast Levitate on a microchip than a sperm whale because you're affecting less stuff. It's easier to cast Animate on the corpse of a sperm whale than a microchip because it's a more natural object.

But as Fortune says, Improved Invisibility doesn't affect the substance at all - it only affects living eyes' and visual-based technological sensors' ability to detect the object. It just makes a 'blind-spot' which the brain will do its best to fill in and computer algorithms will try to interpolate. If you've ever played around with those cards that have an X and a O on them you'll know what happens when the X enters your visual blind-spot. You don't notice it any more and you 'see' whatever your brain thinks should be there. If the X and O are on white card, you see blank white space where the X was. If it was a green and red checkered card, you see green and red checks where the X used to be. If you cast Imp Invis on a microchip on a table, you see an empty table. If you cast Imp Invis on a sperm whale in the ocean, you see the ocean, with a rather vague area. If there is seaweed floating all over the ocean, there is seaweed floating in that section too. If you cast Imp Invis on a door you don't see the door any more and your brain fills in the blank area with the surroundings... ie you see a continuous wall meeting the carpet. If you cast Imp Invis on a van in the street, someone looking at that part of the street will see generic kerb and generic shopfront. If a man walks behind your invisible van, they will see the man, because they expect to. If he drops the newspaper he is carrying though, they won't see that until they actually see him emerge from the other side of the van sans newspaper, do a double-take, and swear they need more sleep. If similar things keep happening in that bit of space over an extended time (say the time it takes the observer to finish his cup of soycafe while staring across the road) he may realise something odd is going on and go and investigate.

Remember that Imp Invis doesn't defeat radar, ultrasound or pressure pads that could detect invisible cars, trolls, etc. I am not sure how stealth paint and radar jammers make planes and things invisible but I guess it is a similar principle: the waves simply aren't returned to the sensor, as if they're travelling off into space, and so the sensor interprets that 'no reading' to mean 'nothing there'.

Imp Invis is more like the Somebody Else's Problem field than transparency: it's just a means to trick observers into not noticing anything unusual is there. And that, as Slartibartfast would tell you, is a great deal easier than making something actually transparent.
will_rj
Your take, albeit being completely reasonable and well founded, goes directly against what seems to be the canon interpretation of it. (and that leads us back to J. Campbell´s fiery statement)

Bodak
QUOTE (FAQ)
If you successfully cast Invisibility on a wall (keep in mind that the Force of the spell must be equal to or greater than half the wall's Object Resistance), then it no longer blocks LOS and you can cast spells through it

I believe it is this that John was objecting to, which I would too.

My view is the opposite of what the FAQ says. Instead of "I make this wall invisible so that now I can cast LoS spells at targets on the other side of it" my ruling is "I make this door 'invisible', so now I don't notice there is a door there at all, and see just a long, opaque wall."

Fygg Nuuton and John talks about things connected with the van being included in its invisibility area, just as my SEP field interpretation would. But that objects observed entering the area remain visible, just as they would in my SEP interpretation. And he says the spell must overcome the rating of sensors viewing the area - irrespective of the OR or mass of the object being hidden, just as I do.

In fact SR3 p195 explicitly says "Invisibility affects the minds of viewers. Improved invisibility affects technological sensors as well." It has no effect whatsoever on the object, only on optic devices collecting light from the area around the object. Just as Fortune and I have said.

What in canon disproves my view? That's not a challenge - I just don't see it (sic), and I'm always on the lookout to improve the way I run things.
Kagetenshi
Nothing whatsoever. It's been demonstrated several times that FASA had problems with the whole concept of "illusion" (see, for example, Other Place in Earthdawn).

~J
lorechaser
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Through the magic of BDSM and bisexual polygamy.

Seriously, the husband-wife team that created Wonder Woman modeled her after their live-in lover, with whom they had a revolving BDSM relationship. This goes far to explain why wonder woman became powerless when her bracelets were chained together.

Did you really have to ruin our illusions, hyz?

Although I'll never see Wonder Woman without seeing the Family Guy bit about it.

Superman flies up next to WW in the air.

"So, hey Wonder Woman, flying your invisible jet, eh?"

"Uh, yeah."

"So, how's it goin'?"

"Listen, I'm actually in the invisible bathroom."

"So you mean right now you're....?"

"Yeah."

nezumi
I would largely go with John's example with one exception. I personally would not allow the TN of 4 for casting, rather I would enforce the OR (or at minimum, some penalty for the fact that the van is so big). This is more due to balance concerns than anything. Alternatively, I would tie the force of the spell to how large an object it can hide. Force 1 is about troll sized, force 2 is a motorcycle, so on and so forth, so at least if he's casting, he's taking some drain and can't slough off with the force 1 invis like people always do.

Finally, he'll still need to compete with ultrasound sensors, laser crash avoidence devices, radar, etc. that fits into the average or above average car. If he's driving through traffic, cars around him will not crash into him, but they'll begin reporting an anomaly which could possibly come up on the gridguide system (which I imagine has automated road hazard detection systems) and may result in further investigation.
lorechaser
I think size is a much better choice than weight. Since it's all about perceptions, hiding more area would be harder than hiding less area that weighed more.

You need to be careful with this, though - otherwise you'll have mages doing odd things like setting a physical barrier around the party, then making that invis to hide the entire group, etc....
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Bodak)
Imp Invis is more like the Somebody Else's Problem field than transparency: it's just a means to trick observers into not noticing anything unusual is there. And that, as Slartibartfast would tell you, is a great deal easier than making something actually transparent.

I like that description of invisibility alot, thanks
KarmaInferno
I've always viewed the Invisibility spells like this:

Let's say you cast Imp Invis on a security guard to make him believe the wall he's guarding is transparent.

Okay, he believes the illusion, which means he sees whatever he remembers being on the other side. Or whatever he believes should be on the other side. If he doesn't know, his mind will make something up to maintain the belief.

What he will NOT see, however, is the runner sneaking by on the other side of the wall, unless he somehow has some means of knowing the runner is there.

It's an mental illusion, not a transparent wall.

Just a terminology nitpick: it doesn't matter what the guard believes. If he's affected by the spell he may believe the wall has vanished, or he may believe that the wall has been affected by illusion magic, but he still won't see the wall. Likewise, if the spell didn't affect him (but was successfully cast), even if for some reason he was expecting to see the wall vanish, he sees… an ordinary wall.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
It's an mental illusion, not a transparent wall.

Except for improved invisibility which is a physical illusion.
Kagetenshi
But still not a transparent wall.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an illusionary door to walk through…

~J
hyzmarca
Physical Illusions, in SR3, are the same as mental illusions except that they operate on senseor input interpertation devices (including the eyes and brain) physically, rather thn just the "mind", which allows them to also fool cameras and technological sensors.
However, belief doesnt matter because a camera will show the exact same thing that the guard sees. Rather, the spell does make the subject apparently transparent (not actually transparent since it can be resisted) but the difference between apparently and actually transparent is pretty much nill. Except for the ability to resist one may as well be the other.

However, I must disagree with the FAQ interpertation on LOS, as this leads to American magicians making the Earth invisible to manabolt a guy in China and vica versa.

Kagetenshi
So to be clear, what does the camera see? What does the guard see?

And let me open a new can of worms I've been forgetting to post since late May:

Phil, cyberphotographer extraordinaire, is taking a picture of his four good mage friends (Alice, Bob, Chuck, and Desiree) with his internal eyecam. They're all tricksters, though, and have cast Invisibility on themselves. Alice has Invisibility cast with five successes, Bob has it with two, Chuck has Improved Invisibility cast with five successes, and Desiree has it cast with two. On every test, Phil rolls three successes. They line up, he takes the picture and prints it out to see…

Who?

~J
hyzmarca
This depends on how they are lined up.

However, it is quite easy to say that he will see only Bob and Desiree while the picture will include Alice and Bob certainly and possible Chuck and Desiree depending on what force the spell was cast at and only depending on the force. Since Successes are usually capped by force Chuck is casting at force 5 in the least so he will be invisible to the camera with Desiree may or may not be.
will_rj
** my head hurts ** spin.gif
Deamon_Knight
You are EVIL Kage.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
However, it is quite easy to say that he will see only Bob and Desiree while the picture will include Alice and Bob certainly

So what if Phil routes the picture into his imagelink? Does he get shown a picture of Bob? What if he does this sixty times per second?

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 11 2006, 06:39 PM)
However, it is quite easy to say that he will see only Bob and Desiree while the picture will include Alice and Bob certainly

So what if Phil routes the picture into his imagelink? Does he get shown a picture of Bob? What if he does this sixty times per second?

~J

Yep, but he can't target spells through it nor would I allow smartlink bonuses through such a setup. Also, since the camera does not get to resist Improved Invisibility he would not get to resist it. In other words, he could not possible see any person with Force 4 invisibility and 1 success using this setup.
Kagetenshi
Why wouldn't you allow smartlink bonuses?

Also, what if he uses a semitransparent overlay instead of totally replacing his natural vision?

Perhaps more importantly, why does this differ from a cybereye?

~J
Lost Demiurge
Y'know, it never ceases to amaze me...

Why the hell do people cast invisibility on vehicles? Moving vehicles that they're IN?

Seriously, do you know what happens if you try that on the highway? You BETTER have a rigger driving, or Mister Mack Truck is going to fuckin' run you over. Mr. Wageslave is gonna rear end you, the go-gang is gonna try to drive through you...

On deserted streets or barrens, sure. Invis away. On the highways, or busy streets? Dumbass, you just crashed. G'bye...
hyzmarca
Data processing. The cybereye does not process any data, it simply sends signals directly to the brain in response to light just as a normal eye does. On the other hand, a cybereye camera transforms those signals into a digital image and the imagelink transforms them back.

As for no smartlink bonuses, mostly due to the fact that the imagelink is in use by the camera and the smartlink must use the imagelink to display the reticle.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Lost Demiurge)
Why the hell do people cast invisibility on vehicles?  Moving vehicles that they're IN?

Seriously, do you know what happens if you try that on the highway?

In my experience, people generally cast it because they aren't on the highway.

You BETTER have a rigger driving, or Mister Mack Truck is going to fuckin' run you over.

In my experience, people also frequently have a rigger driving.

Hyzmarca: it needs to process light into ion movement, at minimum. There's no getting around the fact that at some stage in the process it needs a dump of the sensors, whether that dump is sampled on-demand or at a specified refresh rate. As for the imagelink issue, nothing says the imagelink can only accept date from one source, but even if we assume it can't take a second source there's always the limited imagelink that a Smartlink normally comes with (you don't need to use the already-installed full imagelink).

~J
Deamon_Knight
hyzmarca, so what? I'd fall back to the 'paid for with essence=natural' excuse. If mr cybereye has enough successes to pierce improved invisibility's illusion but not regular illusion, the eyecam pic relayed through an imagelink won't overcome it either, mr cybereye is still under the effect of the invis spell and rerouting the image to the opticam/imagelink and back to the optic nerve are for all intents and purposes exactly the same as natural functions.

It gets REALLY wonky if Mr Cybereye is attached to a radio or telephone and pipes the captured image to someone else outside the range of the mages effect. Roleplay THAT misdirection to your players sometime.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Hyzmarca: it needs to process light into ion movement, at minimum.

True, but it does not need to do anything more than what the human eye naturally does. Light hits a photoreceptor and is transformed into ions and transmitted to the brain. The eye is not acting on the data in any way and the data is not directly computer readable. It is really little different from having a natrual or bioware eye. With an imagelink, like electronic magnification, the eye converts the data into a machine readable format first, edits it, and then converts it into a brain readable format. Because of this, the character is not looking at the person but is looking at an image of the person captured by the eye camera.
will_rj
QUOTE (Lost Demiurge)
Y'know, it never ceases to amaze me...

Why the hell do people cast invisibility on vehicles? Moving vehicles that they're IN?

Seriously, do you know what happens if you try that on the highway? You BETTER have a rigger driving, or Mister Mack Truck is going to fuckin' run you over. Mr. Wageslave is gonna rear end you, the go-gang is gonna try to drive through you...

On deserted streets or barrens, sure. Invis away. On the highways, or busy streets? Dumbass, you just crashed. G'bye...

The setup:

Chicago, August 22, 2055. late at night.

The whole group is sitting tight in the rigger´s van, going north in the Chicago Skwy. To add some chaos to the scene, i´ve decided to add blockades all along the 94, leading to a massive gridlock in the lower city and a completely deserted highway. They decided to ram some of the blockades and try their luck in the highway. The sky, on the other hand, is patrolled with some drones and helicopters from the national guard, who just arrived from a nearby headquarters. (Oh, and some bugs too, but who cares ? )

So, in an effort to avoid detection while speeding thru the empty highway, they used a combo of chaotic world and Imp Invisibility, and here we are.

And no, they haven´t managed to escape. Even though it´s easier to do it before the wall goes up, they would have to break a blood oath they did to Don O´Toole himself.
Ryu
Improved Invisibility is a physical spell and therefore of no use on the astral plane. Not enough to break out of the Chicago containment zone...

Basic invisibility has some logical fallacies due to only your brain being fooled. The cybereye-issue is only an apparent one. What about infrared goggles that overlay their input on your shades? I´d count both at technical device (albeit one being paid for with essence), making basic invisibility rather useless on the material plane.
Bodak
QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
I'd fall back to the 'paid for with essence=natural' excuse.
I understand why they wrote that, but I have never liked it. I reckon cybereyes 'should' not get to roll resistance tests, like other technological sensors, whereas bioeyes and those eyes 'my mother gave me' should.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Light hits a photoreceptor and is transformed into ions and transmitted to the brain. The eye is not acting on the data in any way
For the deepest layer of cells, the photoreceptors furthest from the pupil, that is correct, no processing - but those are not the cells that communicate with the brain. All the interneurons and ganglion cells in the retina that lie in about 12 strata ontop of those photoreceptors do a vast amount of integration and comparison and other calculation before sending parallel heavily processed data down the optic tract.

For example this page says:
One group of ganglion cells, for example, only sends signals when it detects a moving edge. Another group fires only after a stimulus stops. Another sees large uniform areas, yet another only the area surrounding a figure.

Without interaction between layers, though, the signal emerging from the tangle would not be much different from the original 12-channel output of the bipolar cells. The critical element is another type of cell, the amacrine cells, which send processes to the various layers of dendrites and allow the layers to talk with one another. This cross-talk is what allows the layers to process the visual data and extract the sparse information that the ganglion cells send up to the brain.

This page has diagrams and a simple step-by-step guide to the way different cells in the eye respond when light falls on part of the retina. Suffice to say it's not a simple case of sending two unadulterated snapshots of the outside world to the visual cortex and getting the brain to do all the processing from there.
will_rj
QUOTE (Ryu)
Improved Invisibility is a physical spell and therefore of no use on the astral plane. Not enough to break out of the Chicago containment zone...

As i said, they were trying this in August 22. Formally speaking, there´s no CZ yet.
eidolon
Dumpshock: Taking the fun out of games since <insert date here>.

wink.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Lost Demiurge)

Actually, no. Absolutely nothing interesting well happen except maybe for some very low tech mo-peds running into you.

Reread the manual. Rating 0 sensors include rangefinders, as well as ultrasound and laser proximity detectors (none of which are affected by invis). Rating 1 sensors include all the above plus basic radar (which is not affected by invis).

(This is on page 135, if you're looking for it.)

As for the invisibility question... Maybe SR3R should just drop improved invisibility and be done with this mess.
Fire Hawk
So don't cast Invisibility. Get an SEP-field generator. twirl.gif

That should solve everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012