Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Healing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SeekerOfPeace
I was reading the rules about healing and recovery in the 3rd edition.

I was thinking that it wouldn't be realistic to have the characters heal as in real life as it would take ages to heal any serious wounds.

What actually happens in your body when you're healing?

Critias: If you don't find this interesting, I suggest you browse the other threads.
eidolon
I don't recall the specific number at the moment, and I'm at work so I can't look it up, but healing isn't instantaneous. You have to maintain the spell for a certain number of rounds before the effects are permanent. If the spell is interrupted prior to that, it doesn't heal you.

As to what happens in the body, "whatever you explain it as" really. It's not specified, but just picture any sci-fi or fantasy show/movie/scene in a book where they describe the bones, tissue, and sinew knitting itself back together.
blakkie
QUOTE (SeekerOfPeace @ Oct 10 2006, 07:36 AM)

I was thinking that it wouldn't be realistic to have the characters heal as in real life as it would take ages to heal any serious wounds.

Realism™ sucks.
Critias: If you don't find this interesting, I suggest you browse the other threads.

You've been making friends again Critias? grinbig.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (SeekerOfPeace @ Oct 10 2006, 11:36 PM)

A preemptive strike by someone with the name 'Seeker of Peace'. Sounds like America. wink.gif biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Ironic. Isn't Seeker in China?
Fortune
Yep.
Backgammon
Uh, vague question. I will answer best I can:

I've had a GM who insisted "damage takes long to heal, buddy" and enforced nazi rules for extremely long helaing periods as well as massive atrophy of you physical attributes while in convalescence. More realistic, I agree. Totally retarded game-wise, as getting wounded effectively wrecks your character.

For my part, I use the standard heal times. It is indeed pretty fast compared to reality. I therefore explain it with the fact that modern medicine uses A LOT of nanotechnology and biotechnology in order to heal damages tissue and bones at very rapid rates. While it seems like that kind of advanced tech would cost a lot to us, in SR it is so widespread that even your crummy Barrens street doc, or your medkit, has access to it.
eidolon
Ha, yeah. So I automatically assumed "magic" when I read the first post, my bad.

But my answer to healing times is a combination of what Backgammon has said (newer tech) and the fact that it's a game, and a player/character being "down" for an appendectomy for a "realistic" amount of time sucks.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (SeekerOfPeace)

What actually happens in your body when you're healing?

Well, the rules are a little bit ambiguous. Since I was big on making challenging campaigns and since I tried to keep the pressure on with intense timelines back in my day, I often found myself having to calculate how much a character could have healed in a certain amount of time.

It's actually been about a year since I've gamed now, but IIRC the character rolled unmodified Body against the TN supplied in the damage and healing section, and every 2 (?) successes succeeded in halving the time, so you got a fair amount of variation there.

One problem, in my mind, was what happened if a character rolled versus the injury TN and got 0 successes. Mathematically, that would mean you divide the healing time by zero. The universe gets a divide by zero error and crashes, meaning the campaign and the characters are forever destroyed.

Just kidding. Actually, since you divide by zero it means the healing time becomes infinite and the character never heals.

Seriously, I didn't know what to do. I didn't feel it was really right to treat 0 successes (a failure) as the same thing as 1 success (a success), but I couldn't figure out any mathematical alternatives, so I just treated 0 and 1 success as the same result.

In retrospect maybe rolling 0 successes could count as adding +50% or +100% to the base healing time, which represents the complications of infection, or something like that. That would also put the squeeze on people who choose to nerf their body scores to pimp quickness, I guess.

One comment on "real life" healing times: in "real life", yes, healing would take a lot longer and characters would probably need to do physical therapy for a long time to recover full physical functionality. However, I would argue that in the context of SR, with its advanced nanotech and cyberware capabilities, that we don't need to make healing and rehab times mimic those of today. I mean, if they have the technology to make a piece of steel interface flawlessly with the brain I'm pretty sure that they're damn handy with organic limb reattachment, etc. I just assume that the medkits contain some advanced things that help people heal superfast, maybe packets of really simple and cheap disposable nanomachines that you pour on your wound that help reconstruct tissue, or something like that.

Lastly, addressing "what actually happens in your body when you're healing"? That's kind of a big question, isn't it? In essence, the body tries to repair muscle and bone tissue that has been damaged by regrowing it and at the same time it uses your immune system to try and prevent infection, which may be lethal or debilitating, from taking hold. Sometimes mechanical problems (like your bone being snapped in frigging half) prevent natural healing and that's why sometimes you need medical attention. Sometimes the body also reacts to injury or trauma by having other parts of the body not directly affected swell up and act out, and sometimes those reactions in and of themselves can be lethal. It's a big question, but I guess that's a general overview.

BTW, infection doesn't usually get much attention in RPGs, but it's a very serious issue and in real life controlling infection was one of the biggest problems faced by medical practitioners once a patient was stabilized. If you were to make "Real Life: The RPG" you'd need a ginormous 1st ed D&D table with percentile dice rolls based on the latest medical research just to deal with infection and their complications following stabilization.
Kagetenshi
My interpretation of the healing rules is that rolling 0 successes means you don't heal during the base time period and have to roll again at the end of it.

~J
SeekerOfPeace
I meant the biology of it. What happens? On the molecular level?

As for Critias, it's not a strike. I just preventing someone dropping in and telling me what is being said is not interesting. It doesn't really do much for either of us.

Peace is the absence of conflict, isn't? grinbig.gif
Austere Emancipator
I would suggest Googling it up. I'm sure there are some non-Wikipedia sources out there that PRC doesn't block.

To quote Wikipedia, though:
QUOTE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healing)
Healing is the process whereby the cells in the body regenerate and repair to reduce the size of a damaged or necrotic area. Healing incorporates both the removal of necrotic tissue (demolition), and the replacement of this tissue.

The replacement can happen in two ways:

* by regeneration: the necrotic cells are replaced by the same tissue as was originally there.
    * by repair: injured tissue is replaced with scar tissue.

Most organs will heal using a mixture of both mechanisms.

[...]

Healing by regeneration

In order for an injury to be healed by regeneration, the cell type that was destroyed must be able to replicate. Most cells have this ability, although it is believed that cardiac muscle cells and neurons are two important exceptions.

Cells also need a collagen framework along which to grow. Alongside most cells there is either a basement membrane or a collagenous network made by fibroblasts that will guide the cells' growth. Since ischaemia and most toxins do not destroy collagen, it will continue to exist even when the cells around it are dead.

[...]

Healing by repair

Healing must happen by repair in the case of injury to cells that are unable to regenerate (e.g. cardiac muscle or neurons). Also, damage to the collagen network (e.g. by enzymes or physical destruction), or its total collapse (as can happen in an infarct) cause healing to take place by repair.

Soon after injury, a wound healing cascade is unleashed. This cascade is usually said to take place in three phases: the inflammatory, proliferative, and maturation stages.

In the inflammatory phase, macrophages and other phagocytic cells kill bacteria, debride damaged tissue and release chemical factors such as growth hormones that encourage fibroblasts epithelial cells and endothelial cells which make new capillaries to migrate to the area and divide.

In the proliferative phase, immature granulation tissue containing plump active fibroblasts and forms. Fibroblasts quickly produce abundant type III collagen, which fills the defect left by an open wound. Granulation tissue moves, as a wave, from the border of the injury towards the center.

As granulation tissue matures, the fibroblasts produce less collagen and become more spindly in appearance. They begin to produce the much stronger type I collagen. Some of the fibroblasts mature into myofibroblasts which contain the same type of actin found in smooth muscle, which enables them to contract and reduce the size of the wound.

During the maturation phase of wound healing, unnecessary vessels formed in granulation tissue are removed by apoptosis, and type III collagen is largely replaced by type I. Collagen which was originally disorganized is cross-linked and aligned along tension lines. This phase can last a year or longer. Ultimately a scar made of collagen, containing a small number of fibroblasts is left.

There's a gazillion variations of these, for all types of injuries on every organ in the human body and how the various cells in them react.

What happens on a molecular level is not so much biology as it is chemistry and physics. It's also way beyond anything a GM should usually bother with.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (SeekerOfPeace)
Peace is the absence of conflict, isn't?

No, not really. Not except for extraordinarily inclusive meanings of "conflict", at least.

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Oct 10 2006, 05:08 PM)
One problem, in my mind, was what happened if a character rolled versus the injury TN and got 0 successes.  Mathematically, that would mean you divide the healing time by zero.  The universe gets a divide by zero error and crashes, meaning the campaign and the characters are forever destroyed.

Just kidding.  Actually, since you divide by zero it means the healing time becomes infinite and the character never heals.

As a math major, I must support the former interpertation. a/0=∞ is incorrect in the vast majority of mathmatical systems, including the real numbers under standard operations (which SR3 uses).

You see, the problem with a/0=∞ is that division is defined as the inverse of multiplication such that a/x = y implies that a=yx.

If a/0 = ∞ then 0∞ = a

Multiplication is defined as repeated addition such that ay = [Σ(k=1 to a) of y] and [Σ(k=1 to y) of a].

For 0∞ these formulas give us [Σ(k=1 to ∞) of 0] = 0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0 …

While this addition continues to infinity it is always true that 0+0 = 0

Likewise [Σ(k=1 to 0) of ∞] = (∞-∞) = 0

Therefore (0∞ = 0) so (a=0∞) is only true for a=0 which implies that (a/0 = ∞) is only true for a=0.

However it is also true that (0=0y) for all numbers y so (0/0 =y) is true for all numbers y. Therefore, a/0, a=!0 does not exist in the set of all real numbers under standard opeations and 0/0 is undefined in the set of all real numbers under standard operations.

There are systems where a/0=∞ can be said to be true, but they are special cases. These systems include the real projective line, Riemann spheres, and wheels. It is important to note that division in these systems is not defined the same way that division is defined in the real numbers under standard operations.

Personally, it think that it would be far more elegant to define healing base times as a factor of e determined by the number of wound boxes.

A good idea might be (e^(x+1))/(e+y) where x is [the number of damage boxes divided by 2 (round up)] and y is the number of healing successes.
In this case healing a single box of damage with 1 success would take 1.98 days while healing 10 boxes of damage with 10 successes would take 31.72 days. One could adjust this by adjusting the divisor in x. With a divisor of 1.5 in x we get 234 days to heal a deadly wound with 10 successes.

We could further refine this by tracking and treating every wound seperatly. For example, if you took 10 boxes from an assualt canon you would be going against the full (e^6)/(e+y) healing time. However, if you are shot 4 times, taking three medium wounds and a light wound, you make 4 hoaling tests with the time of (e^3)/(e+y) three times and e^2/(e+y) once. This results in multiple small wounds having substantially less healing time than a single large wound does.

Of course, the only problem with this is that the players will have to know what e is (2.71828182845904523536, give or take)
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
As a math major, I must support the former interpertation. a/0=? is incorrect in the vast majority of mathmatical systems, including the real numbers under standard operations (which SR3 uses).

You see, the problem with a/0=? is that division is defined as the inverse of multiplication such that a/x = y implies that a=yx.

If a/0 = ? then 0? = a

Multiplication is defined as repeated addition such that ay = [?(k=1 to a) of y] and [?(k=1 to y) of a].

For 0? thee formulas give us [?(k=1 to ?) of 0] = 0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0 …

Likewise [?(k=1 to 0) of ?] = (?-?) = 0

Therefore (0? = 0) so (a=0?) is only true for a=0 which implies that (a/0 = ?) is only true for a=0.

However it is also true that (0=0y) for all numbers y so (a/0 =y) is true for all numbers y. Therefore, a/0, a=!0 does not exist in the set of all real numbers under standard opeations and 0/0 is undefined in the set of all real numbers under standard operations.

There are systems where 0=? can be said to be true, but they are special cases. These systems include the real projective line, Reimann spheres, and wheels. It is important to note that division in these systems is not defined the same way that division is defined in the real numbers under standard operations.

Marry me?

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 10 2006, 11:36 PM)
As a math major, I must support the former interpertation. a/0=? is incorrect in the vast majority of mathmatical systems, including the real numbers under standard operations (which SR3 uses).

You see, the problem with a/0=? is that division is defined as the inverse of multiplication such that a/x = y implies that a=yx.

If a/0 = ? then 0? = a

Multiplication is defined as repeated addition such that ay = [?(k=1 to a) of y] and [?(k=1 to y) of a].

For 0? thee formulas give us [?(k=1 to ?) of 0] = 0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0 …

Likewise [?(k=1 to 0) of ?] = (?-?) = 0

Therefore (0? = 0) so (a=0?) is only true for a=0 which implies that (a/0 = ?) is only true for a=0.

However it is also true that (0=0y) for all numbers y so (a/0 =y) is true for all numbers y. Therefore, a/0, a=!0 does not exist in the set of all real numbers under standard opeations and 0/0 is undefined in the set of all real numbers under standard operations.

There are systems where 0=? can be said to be true, but they are special cases. These systems include the real projective line, Reimann spheres, and wheels. It is important to note that division in these systems is not defined the same way that division is defined in the real numbers under standard operations.

Marry me?

~J

What is your net annual new income including stock dividends and subtracting debt payments?
Kagetenshi
Low. Very low. Mmm, studenthood.

~J
Lindt
Can I say again, I LOVE Dumpshock, and all the batshitcrazy people therein (with a few notable exceptions)?

I believe that if you score no sucesses on your healing test it wont just "heal on its own". You need to go see a professional (aka Dr feel good in the back room).

Having had a charcter take 7-9 boxes in 2 back to back runs, and then have to slug though the 3rd run sporting a mod. wound, Ill argee that healing times suck. Thank goddess for magic healing, neh?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
As a math major, I must support the former interpertation. a/0=∞ is incorrect in the vast majority of mathmatical systems, including the real numbers under standard operations (which SR3 uses).

That is true for a math major and for mathmatical systems. Just to give another perspecitve:
For an engineer, and for the reality system, 0 and infinity pretty much never occur. Anything that is truely 0 or infinity is either not part of your problem, or, by it's existance, has already caused your problem to not exist.
0 is shorthand for "so small I don't care anymore", and infinity is shorthand for "so big I don't care anymore". So to an engineer, x/0=infinity is true and valid, and actually works very well in solving many of the problems that make our lives work.
In theory, you can't divide by zero. In practice, it works quite well and is a handy trick to finding a sufficiently accurate answer to an otherwise difficult or unsolvable problem.
krayola red
Every time I see a mathematical equation, the evil inside me grows a little. frown.gif
Dranem
My memory on 3rd Ed healing might be a little fuzzy... but I seem to recall in the healing tests that 0 successes means that no healing is done over that period of time, hence lengthens the healing time till you do your next roll...

I'll dig through my books when I get home.
Ryu
@Moon-Hawk: Remember your static lessons. Zero does occur rather often - at least if you do it right.

3rd Ed.!

0 successes by the BBB:
no medical aid: medical aid is now required
medical aid: semi-undefined. I´d read that you use the base time and therefore 0 successes lead to the same result one success does.

0 successes by the optional rules from Man and Machine:
base time is doubled
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 10 2006, 11:40 PM)
Marry me?

~J

What is your net annual new income including stock dividends and subtracting debt payments?

Now I know why it's called Dumpshock!
Draconis
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)

What happens on a molecular level is not so much biology as it is chemistry and physics.

Excuse me? Not biology? Funny I thought my degree was in molecular biology not chemistry or physics. nyahnyah.gif
Now if you had said Biochemistry at least you'd be in the right ballpark.

Bah it's too damn early to clarify this stuff, I need coffee. I think this thread is rediculous anyway. Does the original poster want mechanistic details? Hell that level of detail is rather dull and not really the point of a RPG anyway.
Critias
QUOTE (SeekerOfPeace @ Oct 10 2006, 08:36 AM)

What's funny is, I clicked on this thread by accident. It seemed to me that "Healing: How Long Does It Take?" was one of those zany questions that could be easily answered by, y'know, reading the fucking manual. But I'm weird that way. So (and this is just so you don't flatter yourself) I never even looked past the thread title to see who posted it, and even if I had, I wouldn't have really given a fuck. Because, to be quite honest, I forgot all about you (you being SeekerOfPeace) almost as soon as I stopped talking to you. Sorry.

However? Once I accidentally clicked on this thread, the irony just got thicker. Because, were it not for one little line of text -- nay, in fact, one little word that caught my eye (my user name, in case you're wondering) -- I would have simply clicked my way back out of it and into the general discussion area. In point of truth, I didn't even see who the poster was 'till I noticed that line. I would've left, blissfully uncaring as to the rest of the thread, and all would've been calm in Dumpshockisburgvilletown. But no.

No, that can't happen, now. Because SeekerOfPeace felt like he just had to say something in this thread opener. Some little jabby-jabby, like Scrappy-Doo. He just couldn't help himself. The voices tell him not to take his pills, so he posts silly shit like that. So instead of just clicking 'back' on my browser window, or maybe even traipsing off down the information superhighway to some other forum entirely for a few minutes, now I feel I have to respond. Not by stating this thread isn't interesting, oh no, but instead by posting the entirety of the lyrics to Denis Leary's Asshole Song, from his smash hit cd No Cure For Cancer.

SOP, you attention whore, this one's for you. *smooch*

<Spoken>
Folks, I'd like to sing a song about the American Dream. About me. About you. The way our American hearts beat down in the bottom of our chests. About the special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, maybe below the cockles, maybe in the sub-cockle area. Maybe in the liver. Maybe in the kidneys. Maybe even in the colon, we don't know.

I'm just a regular Joe with a regular job
I'm your average white suburbanite slob
I like football and porno and books about war
I've got an average house with a nice hardwood floor
My wife and my job, my kids and my car
My feet on my table, and a cuban cigar

But sometimes that just ain't enough to keep a man like me interested
(Oh no) No Way (Uh-uh)
No, I've gotta go out and have fun
At someone else's expense
(Oh yeah) Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

I drive really slow in the ultra-fast lane
While people behind me are going insane

I'm an asshole (He's an asshole, what an asshole)
I'm an asshole (He's an asshole, such an asshole)

I use public toilets and piss on the seat
I walk around in the summertime saying, "How about this heat?"

I'm an asshole (He's the world's biggest asshole)

Sometimes I park in handicapped spaces
While handicapped people make handicapped faces

I'm an asshole (He's a real fucking asshole)

Maybe I shouldn't be singing this song
Ranting and raving and carrying on
Maybe they're right when they tell me I'm wrong

Naaaah!

<Spoken>
You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac El Dorado convertible, hot pink with whaleskin hub caps and all leather cow interior and big brown baby seal eyes for headlights, yeah! And I'm gonna drive around in that baby at 115mph getting one mile per gallon, sucking down quarter pounder cheese burgers from McDonald's in the old-fashioned non-biodegradable styrofoam containers and when I'm done sucking down those grease ball burgers, I'm gonna wipe my mouth with the American flag and then I'm gonna toss the styrofoam container right out the side and there ain't a God damned thing anybody can do about it. You know why? Because we got the bombs, that's why.

Two words. Nuclear fucking weapons, okay?! Russia, Germany, Romania -- they can have all the Democracy they want. They can have a big democracy cake-walk right through the middle of Tiananmen square and it won't make a lick of difference because we've got the bombs, okay?! John Wayne's not dead -- he's frozen. And as soon as we find the cure for cancer we're gonna thaw out the duke and he's gonna be pretty pissed off. You know why? Have you ever taken a cold shower? Well multiple that by 15-million times, that's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be. I'm gonna get the Duke and John Cassavetes...
(Hey)
and Lee Marvin
(Hey)
and Sam Pekinpah
(Hey)
And a case of Whiskey and drive down to Texas...
(Hey, you know you really are an asshole)
Why don't you just shut-up and sing the song pal!

A-S-S-H-O-L-E Everybody! A-S-S-H-O-L-E

<Barking>
Arf Arf Arf Arf Arf Arf Arf
Fung achng tum a fung tum a fling chum
Oooh Oooh

<Spoken>
I'm an asshole and proud of it!

There we go, schnookums. Feel better, now that you got a little attention? Feel like you can point and go "See? Look everyone, he really is an asshole!" because you were oh-so clever and baited me, or whatever you were out to do? Proud of yourself, for poking that beehive with your stick? Passing the time in Communist China well enough for your liking? Does the widdle wooky-wookums feel good now that he got someone to pay attention to him?
Kagetenshi
China is not communist.

~J
Critias
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
China is not communist.

~J

If it ain't America, it's Commies!
Kagetenshi
Fair enough.

~J
mfb
Not Quite What You Intended for $1000: kicking a hornet's nest, then kissing the entrance. what is "not a good way to avoid getting stung by hornets"?
Fortune
QUOTE (Critias)

Close, but not quite! nyahnyah.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Critias @ Oct 14 2006, 03:34 AM)

Close, but not quite! nyahnyah.gif

By disagreeing with me, you've outted yourself, Red.

Guards!
lorechaser
Everyone one on this thread is guilty of associating with a known communist.

Thus, all are suspect. Please report to interrogation chambers 1-27. Your remains can be picked up after 6:00.
Kagetenshi
Fortune, you have been determined to be a Traitor and a Communist. Report immediately to your nearest termination center.

~Jon-B-BOS-1
Draconis
The computer sees all, the computer knows all.

Hmm how do we know this thread isn't an attempt to pry proprietary info from us? I almost fell for it and gave away the secret of healing. rotate.gif
eidolon
Isn't that a little paranoid?

wink.gif
Fortune
Don't you guys already have a thread for this stuff? biggrin.gif

You hold no power over me outside the dreaded Drop Bear thread ... and even then ... not so much! nyahnyah.gif
lorechaser
Drc-o-Nis 4 has exhibited an unacceptable amount of thoughtfulness. Dispatch troubleshooter teams immediately.

Gib-B-Ons 6
Ryu
If this had happened in the nuclear explosions-thread, I´d not have been surprised at all. But here?

Eid-O-Lon 6, you are ordered to peruse the next termination chamber for doubting the all-knowingness of friend computer.
SeekerOfPeace
What's funny is, I clicked on this thread by accident. It seemed to me that "Healing: How Long Does It Take?" was one of those zany questions that could be easily answered by, y'know, reading the fucking manual. But I'm weird that way. So (and this is just so you don't flatter yourself) I never even looked past the thread title to see who posted it, and even if I had, I wouldn't have really given a fuck. Because, to be quite honest, I forgot all about you (you being SeekerOfPeace) almost as soon as I stopped talking to you. Sorry.

However? Once I accidentally clicked on this thread, the irony just got thicker. Because, were it not for one little line of text -- nay, in fact, one little word that caught my eye (my user name, in case you're wondering) -- I would have simply clicked my way back out of it and into the general discussion area. In point of truth, I didn't even see who the poster was 'till I noticed that line. I would've left, blissfully uncaring as to the rest of the thread, and all would've been calm in Dumpshockisburgvilletown. But no.

No, that can't happen, now. Because SeekerOfPeace felt like he just had to say something in this thread opener. Some little jabby-jabby, like Scrappy-Doo. He just couldn't help himself. The voices tell him not to take his pills, so he posts silly shit like that. So instead of just clicking 'back' on my browser window, or maybe even traipsing off down the information superhighway to some other forum entirely for a few minutes, now I feel I have to respond. Not by stating this thread isn't interesting, oh no, but instead by posting the entirety of the lyrics to Denis Leary's Asshole Song, from his smash hit cd No Cure For Cancer.

SOP, you attention whore, this one's for you. *smooch*

<Spoken>
Folks, I'd like to sing a song about the American Dream. About me. About you. The way our American hearts beat down in the bottom of our chests. About the special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, maybe below the cockles, maybe in the sub-cockle area. Maybe in the liver. Maybe in the kidneys. Maybe even in the colon, we don't know.

I'm just a regular Joe with a regular job
I'm your average white suburbanite slob
I like football and porno and books about war
I've got an average house with a nice hardwood floor
My wife and my job, my kids and my car
My feet on my table, and a cuban cigar

But sometimes that just ain't enough to keep a man like me interested
(Oh no) No Way (Uh-uh)
No, I've gotta go out and have fun
At someone else's expense
(Oh yeah) Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

I drive really slow in the ultra-fast lane
While people behind me are going insane

I'm an asshole (He's an asshole, such an asshole)

I use public toilets and piss on the seat
I walk around in the summertime saying, "How about this heat?"

Sometimes I park in handicapped spaces
While handicapped people make handicapped faces

I'm an asshole (He's a real fucking asshole)

Maybe I shouldn't be singing this song
Ranting and raving and carrying on
Maybe they're right when they tell me I'm wrong

Naaaah!

<Spoken>
You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac El Dorado convertible, hot pink with whaleskin hub caps and all leather cow interior and big brown baby seal eyes for headlights, yeah! And I'm gonna drive around in that baby at 115mph getting one mile per gallon, sucking down quarter pounder cheese burgers from McDonald's in the old-fashioned non-biodegradable styrofoam containers and when I'm done sucking down those grease ball burgers, I'm gonna wipe my mouth with the American flag and then I'm gonna toss the styrofoam container right out the side and there ain't a God damned thing anybody can do about it. You know why? Because we got the bombs, that's why.

Two words. Nuclear fucking weapons, okay?! Russia, Germany, Romania -- they can have all the Democracy they want. They can have a big democracy cake-walk right through the middle of Tiananmen square and it won't make a lick of difference because we've got the bombs, okay?! John Wayne's not dead -- he's frozen. And as soon as we find the cure for cancer we're gonna thaw out the duke and he's gonna be pretty pissed off. You know why? Have you ever taken a cold shower? Well multiple that by 15-million times, that's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be. I'm gonna get the Duke and John Cassavetes...
(Hey)
and Lee Marvin
(Hey)
and Sam Pekinpah
(Hey)
And a case of Whiskey and drive down to Texas...
(Hey, you know you really are an asshole)
Why don't you just shut-up and sing the song pal!

A-S-S-H-O-L-E Everybody! A-S-S-H-O-L-E

<Barking>
Arf Arf Arf Arf Arf Arf Arf
Fung achng tum a fung tum a fling chum
Oooh Oooh

<Spoken>
I'm an asshole and proud of it!

There we go, schnookums. Feel better, now that you got a little attention? Feel like you can point and go "See? Look everyone, he really is an asshole!" because you were oh-so clever and baited me, or whatever you were out to do? Proud of yourself, for poking that beehive with your stick? Passing the time in Communist China well enough for your liking? Does the widdle wooky-wookums feel good now that he got someone to pay attention to him?

My, my, my, listen to you roar little tiger! biggrin.gif, someone's not happy! Look at you throwing you brand new toys across the room. biggrin.gif.

Gather around my friends for another episode of As the Forum turns where SoP and Critias, arch enemies, duke it out on dumpshock who see who gets the last word... who will win? Will SoP end up crying in front of his keyboard because Critias doesn't play nice? Will Critias's cyber-reputation remain unscathed? Read this post to find out!

Wow.

Amazing.

All I said was that if you didn't find it interesting you didn't have to contribute by mentioning it as it didn't really do much.

I'm starting to realize just how sensitive you are, overreacting like that. How easily hurt you are to counterattack with so much anger and spite. Take so much time to write something like that and actually go to the extent of getting a song and adding it to your post. I can almost touch your choler, oozing between your words like some repulsive bile.

Poor man, I see you all too well. Your actions betray your words, I'm afraid. You can say that you don't care about what I think, that you don't remember me, but it's not true. You care way too much actually. More than I imagined in the first place.

Maybe you should ask yourself, what attracts the most attention though. Your previously quoted post or my one sentence in my first post?

I won't read your next reply and or any of your further replies. You spend so much effort with intentions to harm and deny what you know to be truth. Now that you know this, I trust that you realize that any further replies will merely attract more attention to you.

I'll tell you this though, I feel sorry for you. Feel free to ridicule this as much as you want. My guess is that you'll use sarcasm, but who knows. And I know for a fact that you care too much about what I think to leave this reply unanswered, and once again prove the opposite of what you say through your actions. I know, I know that you can't resist replying, you have your internet reputation to protect and for some reason which I don't quite understand, that means the world to you.

But don't think that you're fooling me though. You can fool others but you don't fool me, ok?

I do feel sorry for you, though, honestly. Not because I think you're pathetic or stupid or anything like that. No. I don't think so.

I think you're probably a pretty cool guy actually, all venomousness aside. I do think that the internet and it's relative safety gives you the courage to say things you would not so much as dare in real life. But I might be wrong. You wouldn't be the only one, that's for sure.

You know, you seem to bring back the "attention" thing pretty often. Everyone need attention, you included. How are you getting your attention, Critias?

Do not worry too much about the negative impact of your posts. I can assure you that they're nonexistant. You negativity dies with you and whatever other members who share your attitude. I just want to assure you that I don't share your anger and resentment and I hope your don't choke upon your ire and ill will.

The only reason why I mentionned that you should avoid this topic in public is because having tried to actually apologize to you previously and having seen my honest and well meant action welcomed by more scorn, contempt and disdain, I understood that settling things privately was out of question, as far as you're concern.

That's pretty much it. I think it covers it. What else is there to say?

As far as I'm concerned this settles it. I now understand just how sensitive you are and easily hurt and how much you care about your reputation on the internet. I wouldn't know, people tell me I'm insensitive at times, which isn't good either.

So as a final note I guess this is for you: *smooch* I actually laughed when I read that. Good one, thanks for the laugh.

All the best. Relax, take it easy. It's just a forum, it's just the internet.

wink.gif
De Badd Ass
To answer your question: I don't think this particular wound is ever going to heal.
Kagetenshi
SoP: your original comment was rude and uncalled for. You are now crossing lines. Please stop.

~J
Draconis
Just skip to pistols at dawn already.

knasser
How This Thread Reads To Someone Who Doesn't Know the Background.
by. Khadim Nasser.

Post 1: Odd question followed by unneccesary dig at other poster. +1 Karma to Critias for random victimhood.

Post 2: Bemused answer to question by dumpshocker

Post 3: Smug jumping on bandwagon by other poster. +1 additional Karma to Critias for increased persecution.

Post 4: Wry observation on original unecessary dig. -1 Karma to me for enjoying it purely because it is making fun of America. frown.gif

Post 5 - 13: Random babble and musing on original question.

Post 14: Hilarious explanation of infinity. + 4 karma to Hyzmarca. Propose that Hyzmarca write the rules for SR5 to shut up all those SR3 people who complained about the game becoming too simplified. (Just kidding - I actually understood it. Well explained).

Post 15 - 17: Romance blossoms on the forums. All dumpshockers wait in anticipation to see how Kj and H's relationship develops.

Post 18 - 24: Too dull to remember.

Post 25: Critias forfeits moral highground and resets to 0 karma by responding in kind and posting of strange song in entirety.

Post 26: Critias redeems self somewhat through demonstration of witty political commentary.

Post 27 - 33: Descent into mindless banter. +2 karma for all posters making Paranoia™ references.

Post 34: Long winded accusations and belittlement of Critias by original poster. -3 karma for having nothing to do with Shadowrun. -1 additional karma for not realising the irony in writing 31 line post accusing someone of taking things too seriously. +2 karma for making peace noises later in post, but -3 again for making it sound like an attempt at point scoring with "I now understand how sensitive you are" style barbs and "the Internet gives you courage to say things you wouldn't say in real life" lines. Using olive branch as weapon to put someone down worse than no olive branch at all!

Post 35 - 37: General suggestions from others to grow up.

Post 38: Attempt by relative newcomer to show those concerned how things look from the outside. Ultimately, it doesn't matter who began it or got the last punch in. It eventually just descends into bitter farce.

Final conclusion: Original Poster - thread reflects very badly. Critias - squandered opportunity to walk away. Hyzmarca - wows us all with his ability to find the sigma symbol on the keyboard.

Now +5 karma to whoever is first to say "Fuck it" and send a smiley to the other party and make up. We're all here because we love pretending to be elves, after all? Right people? smile.gif
Fortune
I deserve Karma too! frown.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 14 2006, 12:53 PM)
I deserve Karma too! frown.gif

Don't think I didn't notice you were the first to bring drop bears into an unblemished thread, you!

You can have ONE karma for sheer cheek. Now put it toward something useful. I don't want to catch you raising your Charisma again, you little tart!

wink.gif
Critias
Hahahahahahahahaha. A twenty-odd paragraph post to tell me how I take things too seriously. Woo. I...heh, wow. Game over, kiddo. You do my work for me. This thread sure is interesting.
Kagetenshi
Knas-R-SUK-2, you have been observed giving karma to a known Commie Traitor. Report to your local termination center; a replacement has already been dispatched.

Move along, citizens.

~Jon-B-BOS-1
fistandantilus4.0
As impressively long as those posts were, I think everyone needs a few calm breaths. Ironic that you're killing the healing thread.
mfb
hey! no recognition for my awesome Jeopardy post? damn, it's a cold, cold world we live in.
Graht
QUOTE (SeekerOfPeace)
Gather around my friends for another episode of As the Forum turns where SoP and Critias, arch enemies, duke it out on dumpshock who see who gets the last word... who will win?

The moderators always get the last word wink.gif

Seriously, this thread has completely departed from it's original topic (and I think the question was answered).

Time to move along.

SoP, if your question wasn't answered, please repost it.

Thank you.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012