Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Commlink
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
lorechaser
I'm still learning SR4, and I'm coming to realize more and more how damn important your comm is in this version.

People have suggested that there are certain bare minimums any runner must have on their comm - anything from encrypt to attack to ECCM.

So I'm asking the community at large for their ideas on the minimum survivable comm.

Right now, my characters tend to pick something with S/R in the 4 range (more or less depending on cash), and then get one of the high end OS - Iris or above.

It's looking like that's not nearly enough, though....
Serbitar
Standard Commlink for Runners:

6/6/6/6
Encrypt
Analyze
rating 6 agent
(analyze, trace, attack, armour, medic)
rating 6 agent
rating 6 agent

Cost:
10.000 + group hacker (which owns and has hacked every programme available)
Ophis
hmm nice set uo, but...

1) It's not legal at start up

and

2) Even if it was you'can't assume you know the hacker from the strat.

I think the question was what to start with, rather than what to aim for.

I usually go for the Novatech Navi with Iris orb, most of my tech conscious characters try to have two comms, on obvious to run on open mode which I ignore, and one running on hidden to actually use.
lorechaser
My intent was what to buy from the start, yeah. Although both starting and eventual would be handy....

The dual comm setup is so that someone scans you, finds an open comm, then starts monitoring it, finding nothing?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (lorechaser)
The dual comm setup is so that someone scans you, finds an open comm, then starts monitoring it, finding nothing?

Better to have them find what you want them to find.
lorechaser
Man. So devious. I like it. smile.gif

GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (lorechaser)
My intent was what to buy from the start, yeah. Although both starting and eventual would be handy....

The current bare-bones system in SR4.core is indeed that: bare bones. There is plenty of room for scrutiny, modification and house rules until we get Unwired. Bottom line is nothing is unhackable in SR4. The whole system makes no system impervious to a hacker given enough time.

Good news is if you don't have too much paydata on your commlink then someone hacking it would just be more of an annoyance. I don't see anything about stealing SINs or Licenses programmed into the commlink, I belive those items have some physicallity to make identity theft impossible w/o a physical component as well.

Considering 5's are usually what's capping you at chargen, 4's aren't a bad goal as well as not terribly expensive.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Ophis @ Oct 11 2006, 09:57 AM)
hmm nice set uo, but...

1) It's not legal at start up

and

2) Even if it was you'can't assume you know the hacker from the strat.

I think the question was what to start with, rather than what to aim for.

I usually go for the Novatech Navi with Iris orb, most of my tech conscious characters try to have two comms, on obvious to run on open mode which I ignore, and one running on hidden to actually use.

Standard Commlink for Runners from start:

5/5/5/5
Encrypt
Analyze
rating 4 agent
(analyze, trace, attack)
rating 4 agent
(analyze, trace, attack)
rating 4 agent
(analyze, trace, attack)

Cost:
no idea
Butterblume
I mostly made chars with only one commlink, rating 3. It's cheap, and it's safe enough, when you remember to not actually store sensitive data on it, or route cyberware through it.

I dislike the massive use of agents. If my players start using that, so will the NPCs.
Serbitar
If the NPCs have the money or the illegal connections for cracked software, of course they will, why shouldnt they?

Runners commlinks are extremely sensitive, as they are a way into the users PAN including the cyberware. And all the communications go over the comlink. I can think of nothing that should be more important to a runner, except his life. commlinks have to be protected at all costs.
lorechaser
So the followup would be "Why"?

Are those agent 4 really going to have any effect on a skilled hacker?

As for cost:

Agent 4 is 10k.
Analyze, Trace and Attack are 4k each at rating 5, 5k at 5.

So your set up is 30k for agents, 36k for their programs, 10k for the commlink programs.

You can't actually buy Firewall at 5k in stock, so it would have to be constructed.

You could get a Transys, with 4/5 for 8k, and then add Novatech Navi at 3/4 for 1.5k.

Or you could build it, for 10k flat at 5/5/5/5 if you GM will let you.

So 86k for that setup, or 18 bp.

Somehow, don't imagine people are paying 86k for commlinks....
deek
I defintely would go the route of picking up a 5/5/5/5 comm to start with. There are also 7 common use programs that I think about everyone should have, so I would pick all of those up at rating 5 as well.

That should really be the basics right there. Go with the cheapest commlink and OS and then just use the upgrade tables to enhance the firewall, system, response and signal.

So, the cheapest comm is 100. Getting each of the ratings up to 5 will cost 10,000 more. Getting the 7 common use programs at rating 5 will cost 3,500...so a total cost of 13,600.

Now, the signal rating might not be as important to have at a 5. A few of my players just pick up the Renraku Sensei for 1,000 (2 response/4 signal) which saves them 100 from the build above, as they leave the signal at 4.

Obviously, you can go above this or below this, and there is always the potential need to buy some hacking programs, which at rating 5 is 5,000 a piece, but just the runner-ready generic comm, I would say 5's across the board and 5's in the 7 common use programs for 13,600 would be the minimum (non-hacker, obviously).

I have yet to have any players purchase agents...
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Butterblume)
I mostly made chars with only one commlink, rating 3. It's cheap, and it's safe enough, when you remember to not actually store sensitive data on it, or route cyberware through it.

I dislike the massive use of agents. If my players start using that, so will the NPCs.

Agents are IC. Why wouldn't you want NPC or PC to have IC defending their nodes?

You can make some cool Agents that seek-and-destroy invading hackers or just shut them down hard.

It's part of the game that's readily available off-the-shelf, seems silly to restrict it.
deek
I think agents/IC all depend on the GM...

I'm through about 8 sesssions with my players (bi-weekly campaign) and none of them have been hacked and really, besides some basic tracking/analyzing IC, there hasn't been much contact with that sort of thing in the matrix.

All the player's know that they are vulnerable to attacks, but until I start taking advantage of that, there is no need to spend a ton of money for something they are not going to use.

Again, I think it will all depend on your GM. If s/he is spending a lot of time hacking the PCs comms, then beefing the security up on them is a good idea...if not, I would spend the money and time on other areas. Even though a node doesn't have IC defending them, doesn't mean they are defenseless. A hackers commlink is going to set an alert pretty quickly if someone is in there doing something illegal. And once that happens, the hacker is going to jump into VR and take care of it, or simply shut the commlink off...
Butterblume
I'm not against the use of agents. I don't like it it when someone uses 3, 6 or 10 agents to defend his commlink. But that might be just me biggrin.gif.
Kyoto Kid
...I still miss the ol' credstick. So much more secure & you didn't need computer skill to use it.
deek
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...I still miss the ol' credstick. So much more secure & you didn't need computer skill to use it.

Credsticks are still available...and honestly, would likely be a much more common payment in the "shadows" than wire transfers to the comm. Granted, I say this and all payments I have made to the players have been comm transfers!
Jaid
heck, the credstick can probably run better security than the team hacker's commlink...

though of course, one of the most common houserules i am aware of is that credstick response can only be used for a few limited things (ie, you can't take the OS from a credstick and transplant it to your comm, nor can you do the same with it's response chip... and they are only useful for performing credstick related tasks).
Kyoto Kid
...maybe it's just me, but I look at commlinks vs credsticks in SR as being similar to cash vs plastic in RL today.

With cash transactions, I don't get spam, junk mail, or have to worry about ID theft.

Kind of the same situation with credsticks in SR since it hard coded and you need a stick reader to hack one.
WhiskeyMac
I think Firewall 6 is a major consideration. Nowhere in the rules does it state that Firewall is restricted by System or Response, and you can buy it at chargen for 3000 nuyen.gif. I think that unless the person is the team hacker, they just need the common use programs at at least 3 so they would need a commlink with Response and System 3, then just have a hacker contact do datatrail spoofs and such on their comm. Definitely let them know that purchasing the lowest end comm and buying up it's stats is a lot cheaper then getting the off-the-shelf models. I think even custom built comms are even cheaper but don't know.
lorechaser
QUOTE (deek)
I defintely would go the route of picking up a 5/5/5/5 comm to start with. There are also 7 common use programs that I think about everyone should have, so I would pick all of those up at rating 5 as well.

That should really be the basics right there. Go with the cheapest commlink and OS and then just use the upgrade tables to enhance the firewall, system, response and signal.

So, the cheapest comm is 100. Getting each of the ratings up to 5 will cost 10,000 more. Getting the 7 common use programs at rating 5 will cost 3,500...so a total cost of 13,600.

Now, the signal rating might not be as important to have at a 5. A few of my players just pick up the Renraku Sensei for 1,000 (2 response/4 signal) which saves them 100 from the build above, as they leave the signal at 4.

Obviously, you can go above this or below this, and there is always the potential need to buy some hacking programs, which at rating 5 is 5,000 a piece, but just the runner-ready generic comm, I would say 5's across the board and 5's in the 7 common use programs for 13,600 would be the minimum (non-hacker, obviously).

I have yet to have any players purchase agents...

Care to define those common 7 for us noobs?

And do they fall under hacking, or standard? That's a 1000% difference in price, so it matters a lot. wink.gif
GrinderTheTroll
They are listed as "Common Use" programs in SR4.
lorechaser
And, uh, Grinder wins my contest to find the page number!

Yeah, that's what it was.
Fortune
Standard Commlinks are listed as coming with some crap pre-installed. Is it really neccessary for the non-Hacker 'runner (or even the average Joe) to load out his link with actual Programs in order to function in day-to-day life?

As an aside, how many people (both as a GM and as a Player) allow their characters' Commlinks to be 'decked out' (pardon the pun nyahnyah.gif) by a PC or NPC Hacker?
Jaid
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 11 2006, 06:59 PM)
Standard Commlinks are listed as coming with some crap pre-installed. Is it really neccessary for the non-Hacker 'runner (or even the average Joe) to load out his link with actual Programs in order to function in day-to-day life?

As an aside, how many people (both as a GM and as a Player) allow their characters' Commlinks to be 'decked out' (pardon the pun nyahnyah.gif) by a PC or NPC Hacker?

encryption and analyse are both very important IMO. browse, edit, and scan are also quite useful, and imo are handy enough that you probably want them (especially considering how cheap they are). reality filter and command? well, if you can afford a command program with a higher rating than your attributes (and don't forget to include the cost of having a commlink that can run it), then why not get command. reality filter? it's cheap enough that i can't really see a major reason not to buy it if you have some cash left over, but i can't really say i see it as being necessary either (not really useful for defensive purposes). this one, i could see maybe getting at rating 1 for flavor purposes, but unless you're gonna be hacking other people's commlinks you don't really need better than rating 1 imo.

[edit] oh, and i would say that shadow 'companies' that sell illegal commlinks would probably have at least a few standard packages, just like RL companies. it's kinda like buying a gun in the shadows... sure, the gun doesn't come with bullets (by default), but chances are the person who sold you that unregistered gun probably can sell you some ammunition at the same time. [/edit]
dog_xinu
most of my players have a single commlink of the best they can buy (ratings wise). Most of them havent gone hogwild on the programs yet.

My runners have always had a really good one for what they do, then a "burner" one on a fake id. This is the one that I let the corps scan when running a mission. cheap commlink and cheap fake license is the cost of doing business. My guys always throw their "burner" comms/ids away when they think they are caught or potentially caught.

"Bubba Joe Earl" the demolitions guy, would actually blow up the commlinks using plastiq-12 and enough to destroy the unit 10x over. on purpose.

everyone will be different....
dog
KarmaInferno
You know what?

In SR3 I used to have encrypted transponders so my character's drones had a friend-or-foe identification that was easy to pick up. What I never told the other characters when I handed them out is about the chunk of C-14 embedded inside each one, with a remote detonator. You know, just in case.

I may just have to invest in high rating commlinks with the same setup...

"What are you using? That's crap, won't stop anyone hacking in, use this one."

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (lorechaser)
And, uh, Grinder wins my contest to find the page number!

Yeah, that's what it was.

SR4.226
Dranem
With the current wireless networks and cheapass commlinks, I would go for just having 'better than standard' will protect your average runner from wanna-be hackers. Why? cause there's easier targets out there. After all, why would a hacker go after a runner, when rich mr. corpslave might have some interesting information - or at least an real identity to steal.. going after a well protected comm can get you into more trouble that most want.

Seeing as the description lists that the commlinks come as a package OS. As a GM I offer the common programs with a commlink at the system rating.. cause (in my opinion) that's a standard OS. The hacking programs have to be purchased seperately - they are also not available at your local electronics store... meaning that if you want to upgrade your hacking tools later, you need an underground contact.

For my non-tech runners, I actually suggest they run the lowest signal rating possible.. the harder it is to find their commcode the safer they are. Signal rating equals broadcast range, the lower your signal, the closer an opponent has to be to locate their commcode through a random network search. (mind you that also means they sometimes get dropped calls in weak signal areas, but that's life chummer.)
Fortune
Can a person voluntarily run their Commlink at a lower Signal than they actually have? For example, if Mary Sue Retton has a 'link with a Signal Rating of 4, could she somehow choose to have the 'link run at Signal Rating 2?
Garrowolf
Can a person voluntarily run their Commlink at a lower Signal than they actually have? For example, if Mary Sue Retton has a 'link with a Signal Rating of 4, could she somehow choose to have the 'link run at Signal Rating 2?

I would assume so. You can probably lower most of your settings if you wanted to.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
You know what?

In SR3 I used to have encrypted transponders so my character's drones had a friend-or-foe identification that was easy to pick up. What I never told the other characters when I handed them out is about the chunk of C-14 embedded inside each one, with a remote detonator. You know, just in case.

I may just have to invest in high rating commlinks with the same setup...

"What are you using? That's crap, won't stop anyone hacking in, use this one."

biggrin.gif

Until your team's gargolye noticies the chemical traces of the explosive with the olfactory booster or gas spectromemter and responds with a bullet to the head when you aren't looking... Besides you can't really pack that much explosives into a small bit of kit like that.
Ryu
Minimum runner programs:

-encryption (not useful by the rules, but cheap and required by gameworld logic). cheap
-sneak? (If thats what itīs called in english) to give hidden mode a meaning.
-basic ICE for anyone not possessing matrix combat. That one needs armor and attack programs.
Serbitar
After the game has started every runner will have every programm at rating 6 availible.

Resoning:

Every SR4 runner group neads a hacker (even morethan it needs a mage).
Every hacker worth his salt will have every programm at 6 from start
Every hacker will crack his programmes
q.e.d.
Crusher Bob
And, as most runners have already paid for ~3 months lifestyle, thier first run together should net every member of the team some 6 across the board commlinks and a lvl 6 agent.
Fortune
As a non-Hacker PC, exactly what do I want an Agent doing on my Commlink? What's neccessary, and what's gravy?
Crusher Bob
Agetns, when loaded up with the appropriate programs are IC. As any hacker can gain access to your commlink, basically at will, you need more active defenses (the agents) which will hopefully kick him out before he gets too far. Having firewall 6 just keeps the riff-raf out.
Fortune
Yeah, I gather that much. My question was more towards specific program needs within the Agents themselves. For example, how many Agents do I, Average Joe McSammy need, and what should be loaded into them? Am I cool with just Analyze and Attack, or do I need a whole spectrum?
Crusher Bob
The programs are cheap/free once you get a rating 6 agent, probably: analyze, trace, attack, armor, erm dunno about the last one.
Eleazar
QUOTE (Serbitar)
After the game has started every runner will have every programm at rating 6 availible.

Resoning:

q.e.d.

So if I understand your reasoning correctly, if I am sure there is going to be a hacker in my party I don't have to even worry about buying programs. I can just get them from my hacker when he cracks all of his.
Serbitar
yes.

Though you will have to worry about the following:
Is your hacker friend loyal? He could have modified the programmes a little and couild use them to easily get admin access to your comlink and trace everything you do and such.

Be sure you can trust your hacker. He can own you more than any mage could.
Crusher Bob
Well, your mage buddy could have control thoughts, influence, and alter memory... For all you know your memory of watchin the big game last night could have just been hacked in, what really happed is that you got used as bondage furniture for those 4 hours.
Konsaki
Who says Phycotropic (sp?) IC couldnt do the same thing? You just have to knock out someone, throw some trodes on their head and have at it. Hell, you can inflict permanent changes in their brain. vegm.gif
kzt
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Besides you can't really pack that much explosives into a small bit of kit like that.

An ounce of C4 going off in contact with your torso is going to typically put you in ICU or the ground. It's not too bad at a few feet, but in skin contact, with the case fragements driven into you? Double plus ungood.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Serbitar)

Resoning:

q.e.d.

...as a fun aside related to this, in the last session our new Orc Adept [with no computer skill, Logic of 2, and the Uneducated quality] had quite a struggle just trying to place a call to one of his contacts. Every time it ended up that Violet [our hacker] had to walk him through turning the unit's comm feature on and dialing up everytime he made a call.

Meanwhile KK [Logic of 1, Computer 1, and Uneducated] had only slightly better luck, for when trying to send an image to her detective contact, she accidentally linked to and uploaded a Dwarven Porn site to everyone (including our Shaman who just happened to follow the Christian Tradition).

It was definitely comedy. biggrin.gif

Yes, it pays to have a good and loyal hacker on the team.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Oct 12 2006, 10:41 AM)
Well, your mage buddy could have control thoughts, influence, and alter memory...  For all you know your memory of watchin the big game last night could have just been hacked in, what really happed is that you got used as bondage furniture for those 4 hours.

The mage has to see you, know where you are. The hacker does not.
You can, with luck and assistance, run away from mages, but ou can almost not run away from hackers. Not in the 2070 sensors, data trail and wireless everywhere world.
Cognitive Resonance
QUOTE (Serbitar)

6/6/6/6
Encrypt
Analyze
rating 6 agent
rating 6 agent
rating 6 agent

Cost:

Why all the agents and no command program?
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Cognitive Resonance)
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Oct 11 2006, 09:48 AM)

6/6/6/6
Encrypt
Analyze
rating 6 agent
rating 6 agent
rating 6 agent

Cost:

Why all the agents and no command program?

Command is used to control devices not Agents/IC.
Cognitive Resonance
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)

QUOTE (BBB4 @ PG226)

Command programs allow the user to control a device through the Matrix, whether it be a surveillance camera, a drone, an agent (p.227), or an electronic system.

I'd argue it's pretty clear you have to command an agent just like a drone.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Cognitive Resonance)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Oct 12 2006, 05:53 PM)

QUOTE (BBB4 @ PG226)

Command programs allow the user to control a device through the Matrix, whether it be a surveillance camera, a drone, an agent (p.227), or an electronic system.

I'd argue it's pretty clear you have to command an agent just like a drone.

Hmm. Isn't that for taking control of an Agent that's not your own? I would think you can tell an Agent to do something w/o needing a special interface.

I'll have to hit my book once I get home.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012