Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need cyberpunk novels now.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
emo samurai
and Burning Chrome, and the Diamond Age, and Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive. I've heard good things about Walter Jon Williams's Hardwired, but what else is out there?
Fortune
Speaking of cyberpunk(ish) novels, I can never remember the names of the elfpunk books that some people referenced back on the old forums. frown.gif
nezumi
Anything by Bruce Sterling. I think you'd like Snow Crash too (a lot of people complain about how the hero is named Hiro Protagonist, but I think you'd appreciate that).
Kagetenshi
A Scanner Darkly
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Lies, Incorporated

And a lot of other stuff by Philip K. Dick.

Edit: also, since you already have Burning Chrome, reread Dogfight. Then, if you don't mind more magic and less cyber, go find The Iron Dragon's Daughter, by Michael Swanwick (who cowrote Dogfight). I'd recommend his other works, though they vary between cyberpunkish and more straight-up science fiction.

~J
Fortune
I swear he originally listed Snow Crash in his post, because it was the first (and only, other than Hardwired or Gibson) book I would have recommended.
Kagetenshi
Some reading on the genre, to be taken as you will.

Some more.

~J
Fortune
What makes you think I actually want to read up on what I want to read? biggrin.gif
PlainWhiteSocks
How about Greg Bear's Slant.

Tricia Sullivan's Someone To Watch Over Me was pretty good. Some of her other works have cyberpunk type elements in them as well.

There's also Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott. Lots of computer/matrix stuff in there. I didn't much like it, but several friends of mine did.

Calvin Hobbes
Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets puts you into the model of old-fashioned crime and grit, with healthy amounts of racism, class warfare, and general criminal behavior.

NOIR, by KW Jeter, is another good book, more cyberpunk (spinal cords as stereo cables!) but less rooted in reality. The other two blade runner books aren't very tied to the movie, but tell some really really bizarre stories at the edge of science fiction.

mfb
Slant, Greg Bear: goddamn fantastic, though it seemed more post-cyberpunk than cyberpunk (if you care to make such divisions). neat nanotech stuff, somewhat more realistic than Diamond Age, as well as being a really neat insight into how AIs might work.

Technogenesis, Syne Mitchell: fairly standard plot, but interesting tech and tech techniques.

Heavy Weather, Bruce Sterling: good story, quite useful as an example of how people deal with advances in technology.

Schismatrix Plus, Bruce Sterling: neat ideas about human augmentation, and about augmentation as a path (or paths, really) to human evolution. if you're interested in post-humanity, start here.

Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson: if you haven't read this, what in the name of God is wrong with you?
FlakJacket
I'd recommend John Courtney Grimwood's Arabesk trilogy - Pashazade, Effendi and Felaheen respectively.

Edit: Uh, guys? Might want to check the thread title before you keep mentioning Snow Crash. Even if it is a cool book. wink.gif
Backgammon
Altered Carbon is some of the best post-cyberpunk you're going to read. The 2 other books of the trilogy kinda slowly slant away from cyberpunk, but once you've read the first one you'll probably want to read the other 2 because they are teh awesome.

Perdido Street Station is fantasy steampunk rather than cyberpunk, but all the themes and elements are there. A fantastic read.
Ancient History
We've done this a bit before, but...

Anthologies:
The Ultimate Cyberpunk
Mirrorshades

William Gibson:
Burning Chrome
Neuromancer
Count Zero
Mona Lisa Overdrive
Virtual Light
Idoru
All Tomorrow's Parties

John Shirley:
City Come A Walkin
The Exploded Heart
Eclipse
Eclipse Penumbra
Eclipse Corona

Pat Cadigan:
Mind Players
Synners
Patterns
Dervish is Digital
(Not her best, I admit)

Bruce Sterling:
Globalhead
A Good, Old-Fashioned Future
Crystal Express
Islands in the Net
Heavy Weather
Distraction
Visionary in Residence
(Verging into ribofunk)

Neal Stephenson:
Snowcrash
The Diamond Age

Also recommended:
Interzone (A British sci-fi mag featuring several prominent Cyberpunk authors, colelctions available)
Hip Flask/Elephantmen (Comic series by Active Image, very technonoir. Think Blade Runner)
Transmetropolitan (Comic series by Warren Ellis, firmly postcyberpunk)
Desolation Jones (Comic series by Warren Ellis, firmly slipstream)
Lazarus Churchyard (Comic series by Warren Ellis and D'israeli, very cyberpunk. Also look for their collaborations in the pages of Unlimited 2099)
The Winter Men (Comic series by Brett Lewis and John Paul Leon, firmly slipstream)
Ghostrider 2099 (First couple issues are good, look for the cyberpunk references.)
The Hacker Crackdown (non-fiction by Bruce Sterling, avalable for free)
Ghost in the Shell (Graphic novel/series/manga by Masamune Shirow)
Shatter (Graphic novel by Michael Saenz and Peter Gillis)
Silent Dragon (Graphic novel by Andy Diggle, Leinil Francis Yu, and Gerry Alanguilan)
The Difference Engine (a collaboration 'tween Bruce Sterling and William Gibson)
Achilles Choice (By Larry Niven and Steve Barnes)
Cryptonomicon (By Neal Stephenson, thought by some the beginning transition to Slipstream)
The Baroque Cycle (By Neal Stephenson, 8 books broken into 3 volumes, Slipstream/steampunk)
Pattern Recognition (A new William Gibson novel, firmly Slipstream)
Dale
Marc D. Giller's
- Hammerjack
- Prodigal

..and maybe even a Shadowrun novel or 50 wink.gif
krayola red
How come people like Snow Crash so much? I don't recall it being all that good a story, although I only read it once, in a superficial manner, and a long time ago at that. I'm thinking about reading it again just to see what the hype is all about.
Ancient History
Like with many books, opinion differs. I like it for the characters, the writing style, the plot, and the setting. Others like and dislike it for one or more of the above reasons, among others. <shrug>
RainOfSteel
  • The Long Run ~ Daniel Keys Moran
  • Hardwired ~ Walter Jon Williams
  • Voice of the Whirlwind ~ Walter Jon Williams
  • Kaleidoscope Century ~ John Barnes
  • When Gravity Fails ~ George Alec Effinger
  • Friday ~ Robert Heinlein
  • Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm (Various incarnations and media.) ~ Kishiro Yukito
    • All nine volumes of the original manga, and all seven volumes of Last Order that have been released so far.
  • Ghost in the Shell (Various incarnations and media.) ~ Shirow Masamune
I cannot believe that The Long Run and Hardwired have not yet been mentioned.
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (krayola red)
How come people like Snow Crash so much? I don't recall it being all that good a story [...]

Yes, I also strongly disliked Snow Crash.
Ancient History
Friday, while a decent novel, is most definately not cyberpunk.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb @ Oct 11 2006, 06:47 PM)
Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson: if you haven't read this, what in the name of God is wrong with you?

Taste, possibly.

It was entertaining, but even knowing it was intentional didn't alleviate the pain from the massive doses of stupid the book liked to throw everywhere. It's a very clever parody of cyberpunk, but way, way too heavy-handed about it.

~J
emo samurai
Yeah, I disliked the satire angle; I would have liked more snippets like Bruce Lee's shirt made of human hair.
Kagetenshi
See, that's the problem, though. The snippets like Bruce Lee's shirt made of human hair were the satire. It's been a long time since I've read it, but I can't remember anything significant from the book that wasn't satirical. It's just a matter of how obvious it is.

He took everything in the genre and turned it to eleven. The problem was, he did this even with stuff that was already turned to eleven in serious Cyberpunk, so it just ended up sitting out in the stratosphere somewhere.

~J
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Ancient History)

Ah, but Friday was cyberpunk.

It contained most of the classic elements.

Balkanization of governments.

Chaotic laws.

Supertechnology giving rise to genetic engineering for human enhancement and the creation of artificial lifeforms, and their impact on society and the world.

Cybernetics were mentioned but not showcased on stage.

Prejudice against the enhanced and their problems.

Corporations ruling (or at least strongly influencing) the world.

Small wars fought between nations and groups in covert and semi-covert situations.

Covert missions for various reasons. (Shadowruns. Friday was, effectively, a Shadowrunner working for a man who was, effectively, a Fixer/Mr. Johnson.)

The only thing it did not specifically contain was Virtual Reality/Matrix/Simsense (or equivalent naming), although it most certainly had a global world-wide network of computers with considerable information retreival capability, including fully continuous on demand access to all media from throughout the world in any format (with what seemed to be considerable history available).
krayola red
QUOTE (RainOfSteel)
Yes, I also strongly disliked Snow Crash.

My main beef with Snow Crash is that I found none of the characters to be very interesting or developed, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I strongly disliked it. There were definitely many redeeming qualities about it, enough so that I would read Stephenson again if given the opportunity.
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Snow Crash

It's a very clever parody of cyberpunk, but way, way too heavy-handed about it.

You think it was a parody?

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that.
Ancient History
QUOTE (RainOfSteel @ Oct 12 2006, 02:39 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient History)

No, Friday was in all respects a typical straight science fiction story of the era. It lacked the cyberpunk attitude and style, no matter how many common (but far from universal) traits it may have shared. Contrast Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix with Larry Niven's Known Space, for an example.

There was nothing new introduced in cyberpunk - only a new method of looking at what had already been introduced in sci fi previously. Cyberpunk was ever a loose genre, and ideally you should restrict it to the output of certain authors during a certain period.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (RainOfSteel @ Oct 11 2006, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Snow Crash

It's a very clever parody of cyberpunk, but way, way too heavy-handed about it.

It was absolutely a parody. Cyberpunk has balkanization? Snow Crash is balkanized down to the neighborhood level. Cyberpunk has inflation? Snow Crash has, what, million-dollar values being thrown around on a daily basis. Life is cheap in cyberpunk? In Snow Crash, you risk your life to deliver pizza on time.

So on and soforth.

The problem is where cyberpunk is already a bit silly. Take monowire, for instance. Monowire you (or at least I) can squinch your eyes a little bit and take seriously, if only for a minute. Glass knives, while probably only a few orders of magnitude more silly than monowire (where silly is measured in newtons), go beyond that point and into the territory of the just-plain-crazy. So on and soforth.

~J
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Ancient History)

QUOTE (Ancient History)

No, Friday was in all respects a typical straight science fiction story of the era. It lacked the cyberpunk attitude and style, [...]

I disagree.

While Friday may not qualify as what would later become classic cyberpunk due to atmospheric concerns, it's whole milieu is cyberpunkish, and I refer to it as quasi-cyberpunk.
Kagetenshi
I don't remember much in Friday that would qualify as "punk", or indeed in Heinlein's writing as a whole, but I do admit it's been at least six years since I read Friday.

~J
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (RainOfSteel @ Oct 11 2006, 09:50 PM)

It was absolutely a parody.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was opening my eyes to your viewpoint.

I tend to have a very limited capacity for parody, which may explain why I so unconsciously rejected the whole novel.
Kagetenshi
I was just excited because someone finally gave me the excuse to give the justification I should have given up front but didn't because something about doling information out in small chunks makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Don't mind me smile.gif

~J
emo samurai
Yeah, calling the main dude "Hiro Protagonist" and making him arbitrarily the greatest swordfighter was pushing it.
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I don't remember much in Friday that would qualify as "punk", or indeed in Heinlein's writing as a whole, but I do admit it's been at least six years since I read Friday.

~J

I've read Friday several times.
[ Spoiler ]
Ancient History
QUOTE (RainOfSteel @ Oct 12 2006, 03:00 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient History)

QUOTE (Ancient History)

No, Friday was in all respects a typical straight science fiction story of the era. It lacked the cyberpunk attitude and style, [...]

I disagree.

While Friday may not qualify as what would later become classic cyberpunk due to atmospheric concerns, it's whole milieu is cyberpunkish, and I refer to it as quasi-cyberpunk.

It's a false categorization. The milieu, in this case, is much less cyberpunk than (for an example) Brave New World, which at least has a classic dystopian atmosphere. There is no "street-awareness" in Friday; the main character is a nymphomaniac artificial super-spy who works for a fully-funded organization - and when that falls out she finds a job almost immediately. She never feels true desperation. I wouldn't discriminate against the novel on account of the space opera elements, but it also doesn't owe any sort of debt to previous cyberpunk or pre-cyberpunk (immediate pre-cyberpunk, like John Shirley) works.
Slithery D
QUOTE (RainOfSteel)
  • The Long Run ~ Daniel Keys Moran

This one needs to be second and thirded. Good luck with your used copy search online.
Fortune
Y'all are avoidin' the issue. I really wanna know 'bout them there 'elf-punk' books.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 12 2006, 03:26 AM)
Y'all are avoidin' the issue. I really wanna know 'bout them there 'elf-punk' books.

Mercedes Lackey (with others), the SERRAted Edge/Diana Tregarde/Bedlam's Bard series. Also, if you can find it, the Bordertown anthologies edited by Terry Windling.
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Ancient History)

It's a false categorization.

I do not feel it is.

QUOTE (Ancient History)

The milieu, in this case, is much less cyberpunk than (for an example) Brave New World, which at least has a classic dystopian atmosphere.

Friday's future-Earth was quite dystopian.

QUOTE (Ancient History)

There is no "street-awareness" in Friday;

There wasn't one in Voice of the Whirlwind, either. That's razor-hot cyberpunk to the core.

QUOTE (Ancient History)

the main character is a nymphomaniac

Hardly.

Why is it that women who are comfortable with sexuality and sex are labeled with derogatory names (invented by men)? (Yes, that is a rhetorical question.)

Men can have sex as much as they want and that's good (or "playboyish"), but if a women does the same thing, she's a "women of ill-repute". sarcastic.gif silly.gif

(Hint: This is one of the "Ms. Grundy" topics of modern anglo-saxon society Heinlein tossed into his novels in order to provide illumination for his readers.)

QUOTE (Ancient History)

artificial super-spy who works for a fully-funded organization - and when that falls out she finds a job almost immediately.

[ Spoiler ]

QUOTE (Ancient History)

She never wants for anything

[ Spoiler ]
Ancient History
QUOTE (RainOfSteel)
QUOTE (Ancient History)

It's a false categorization.

I do not feel it is.

Which is really the crux of the dilemma. As much as I like literary arguing, we've come full circle with our arguements, basically. Agree to disagree?
Kagetenshi
Friday's problem is not how much or little sex she has. Her problem is that she was written by Heinlein, which makes her a nymphomaniac.

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Mercedes Lackey (with others), the SERRAted Edge/Diana Tregarde/Bedlam's Bard series. Also, if you can find it, the Bordertown anthologies edited by Terry Windling.

Danke. smile.gif
Ancient History
De nada.
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Ancient History)

Which is really the crux of the dilemma. As much as I like literary arguing, we've come full circle with our arguements, basically. Agree to disagree?

We have reached that point. cool.gif
Glyph
To me, the trouble with Snow Crash was that it took parody past the point of sly and to the point of ham-handed camp. He also seemed to be a wee bit too impressed with his own cleverness, and the obnoxious stereotypes didn't help, either. All told, it could have been a lot better.

By the way, if you check out Ghost in the Shell, the manga is way better than the movie.
Kagetenshi
The first manga collection is awesome. The second manga collection is kinda like watching a grand-master chess tournament, only you don't know chess and no one's explaining what's going on—there's obviously something happening, someone is making brilliant moves or errors, but damned if you can figure out who, what, when, or why. Oh, and this chess is totally fictional, too, so you can't even learn the rules.

Plus, Shirow is definitely giving in to his dream of being an H artist.

~J
Deamon_Knight
Nailed the Discription Kage. I always wanted to capture GitS SAC atmosphere in Shadowrun, but the complete ignorance the story keeps the viewer in, and the lengths it goes too, simply defy capture in a GAME, where PLAYERS want to know the BASIC RULES. Still, I think Gits:SAC and Full Metal Alchemist (which air about the same time in my area) would make great fodder for a campagin if I were only a bit smarter.
emo samurai
As for Snow Crash being a parody of cyberpunk as a whole, who does Hiro Protagonist make fun of? I know the general idea of "LOL HAXXOR AND KATANA WIELDER," but are there any instances of that cliche?
mfb
while it's certainly true that Snow Crash (and Diamond Age) used satire, i don't think it's fair to simply label them as just satire. it was also good, interesting science fiction whose basic premises actually make a lot more sense than anything William Gibson's ever put out. using sarcasm to make a point doesn't turn the whole thing into a comedy routine.
Fyastarter
I read snow crash, and some of the stuff in it would have seemed ridiculous if the writer wasn't as good i didn't read it thinking 'parody'. When you read it the first time it dosen't come across completely ridiculous, and he was only the greatest matrix swordsman, in the flesh he fucks up several times with his blade.

Oh and yeah and altered carbon etc is great stuff! Market forces should be read by everyone interested in cyberpunk. The genre isn't quite as narrow as a lot of people seem to want it to be. Any and all genres are just pigeonholes to put things in, lets face it if theres one thing everyone should pick up from cyberpunk its that things are rarely neat and tidy in a box on shelf. Things are never black and white, even on a monochrome cctv monitor playing through your imagelink.
mfb
QUOTE (Fortune)

The Last Hot Time, John M. Ford.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012