Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A whole slew of magic questions:
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nerhesi
How many spells can a sustaining Focus sustain? I know the force of the spell is limited by the rating. But how many Force 3 spells, for example, can a Sustaining Focii (Force 3) sustain?

Also,

What's the point of the limitation on sustaining Focii? It states a spell sustained through a sustaining focii can not have more force than the focii rating...

So?

You roll Magic + Spellcasting to cast a spell - Force almost never comes into play unless you're deciding damage or very few force related spells...

Right? I hope I'm wrong.

Does it basically limit your successes/hits to the rating of the Focii?

Sam W.
BlackHat
A sustaining focus can only sustain one spell, of its type.

The force of the spell both limits the number of successes you can achieve, and comes into play if someone attacks your focus, or you pass through a ward, or they do some fancy coutnerspelling mumbo jumbo.
Fortune
QUOTE (BlackHat)
A sustaining focus can only sustain one spell, of its type.

Quite right. smile.gif

The force of the spell both limits the number of successes you can achieve, and comes into play if someone attacks your focus, or you pass through a ward, or they do some fancy coutnerspelling mumbo jumbo.

As well as determining Drain Value, of course. wink.gif
FrankTrollman
Right. Note that he biggest Sustaining Focus you can start play with is Force 3, and the Object Resistance of a drone is 4. That means that an imroved invisibility you cast on yourself and hope to sustain with the focus you began play with won't keep you off the scanners of a steel lynx. No matter how well you roll, only 3 hits count, and that's less than the R of the drone so it sees you.

That Force cap on sustaining foci is a big deal. It's not just for limitting staring characters from sustaining 4 initiative passes on the Increase Reflexes spell or to limit your dicepool modifier from Combat Senses to +3.

-Frank
Slithery D
QUOTE (Nerhesi @ Oct 13 2006, 09:48 AM)
What's the point of the limitation on sustaining Focii? It states a spell sustained through a sustaining focii can not have more force than the focii rating...

So?

You roll Magic + Spellcasting to cast a spell - Force almost never comes into play unless you're deciding damage or very few force related spells...

Right? I hope I'm wrong. 

Does it basically limit your successes/hits to the rating of the Focii?

Yes. And Force matters quite a lot if you have a big Spellcasting dice pool and are casting a high drain code spell. Let's say that you're a beginning character who with specialization and mentor bonuses has a pool of 15 dice for Manipulation spells. You want to cast and sustain [Element] Wall from SM, which has a drain code of (F/2 + 5). You average five successes when you cast it, but to use them all you'll face a DV of 7! There are plenty of cases where you might decide to save on a point of drain knowing it will cost you a couple of successes.

That's for regular spellcasting. Obviously the cap on a sustaining focus is a big pain for a relatively low drain spell like Deflection or Levitate. Here you're losing successes because the focus can't handle it, even though you'd be willing to risk the drain by pushing it higher.
Mistwalker
Frank,

I am not sure I agree with your statement about needed to beat the Object Resistance table for Improved Invisibility to work.

I interpret the OR table to be used when trying to affect the obejct directly, with something like a combat spell or manipulation spell.

Improved Invisibility adds penalties to the perception test, by making it harder to see you, by "bending" light around you.
Slithery D
I agree with this, but apparently we're wrong. It came up a few weeks back. I don't recall if it was officially official, but enough people who'd worked on the game said it works the way Frank says to convince me.

It's lousy metaphysics, but the entire idea of illusion spells in every magic system known to man has always suffered from lousy metaphysics. At least it had the benefit of being simple, which makes it consistent with the rest of SR4.
Nerhesi
Speaking of improved invisibility...

How in the world do you detect someone who is hitting you with direct-damage spells that is using improved inivis?

If they don't out-do it with counterspelling + willpower - are they scroooood?

Even if you barely somehow manage to "guess" where the person is - you would still get a -6 penalty to your dice pool to hit him wouldn't you?

Can assensing detect invisible people?

Is there a Sense[Ultrasound] that would let you target invisible people?

Sam W.
Fortune
QUOTE (Nerhesi @ Oct 14 2006, 02:33 AM)

How in the world do you detect someone who is hitting you with direct-damage spells that is using improved inivis?

If they don't out-do it with counterspelling + willpower - are they scroooood?

How would this differ if you could see the Mage?

Can assensing detect invisible people?

Technically, just Astral Perception is enough.

Is there a Sense[Ultrasound] that would let you target invisible people?

I believe Ultrasound lowers the penalty to -4.
Nerhesi
Thanks .. and:

Direct damage spells - you still check how much damage is resisted - after the spellcasting-resist check, with just body correct?

Example, Manabolt or Powerbolt. Both are first resisted via Willpower/Body + Counterspelling - and assuming there is at least 1 net hit - calculate Damage Value then roll Body to see how much is resisted?

Also - after you do a Logic+willpower roll to resist drain as a hermetic you have lets assume, 4 boxes of drain to apply (stun or physical, doesn't matter) - you can resist that with Body correct? Like normal direct damage?

Sam W.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Nerhesi @ Oct 13 2006, 11:33 AM)

You could use the "noticing magic" rules to have a shimmer or some other visual cue connect the caster and target when he hits them. I don't think the rules as intended really contemplate this sort of thing either way, but I think it's very wise considering the possibility of mages with binoculars in a high rise magically sniping people miles away as they walk down a sidewalk.

Yes, the -6 penalty remains. That's what wide spread full auto bursts are for if you're willing to bend the rules in the interests of "reality." Yes, I know it's only supposed to hurt the defender's dice pool, but... If your GM won't bend, use suppressing fire, maybe.
Fortune
QUOTE (Nerhesi)
Direct damage spells - you still check how much damage is resisted - after the spellcasting-resist check, with just body correct?

Example, Manabolt or Powerbolt. Both are first resisted via Willpower/Body + Counterspelling - and assuming there is at least 1 net hit - calculate Damage Value then roll Body to see how much is resisted?

No, no, no.

When resisting a Direct Damage Spell, all you get is Willpower (or Body) plus any Counterspelling dice. That's it! No second chance.

Also - after you do a Logic+willpower roll to resist drain as a hermetic you have lets assume, 4 boxes of drain to apply (stun or physical, doesn't matter) - you can resist that with Body correct? Like normal direct damage?

Nope. Same rule applies.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Nerhesi)
Thanks .. and:

No, sorry.

You only roll Willpower/Body once against direct spells. Either you take the full damage value plus net hits or they miss entirely. For indirect spells you get a dodge attempt with Reaction and then soak normally with Body/Counterspelling/(half)Armor.

Drain resistance is a one shot deal with your appropriate mental attributes. Trolls are at the high end worse at soaking drain than everyone else, not loads and loads better.
Fortune
Beat you! nyahnyah.gif
Slithery D
That's because I edited my first version, which originally began with...no no no!
Fortune
I see you fit in here just fine. biggrin.gif
lorechaser
You only roll Willpower/Body once against direct spells. Either you take the full damage value plus net hits or they miss entirely. For indirect spells you get a dodge attempt with Reaction and then soak normally with Body/Counterspelling/(half)Armor.

Note what's being said there:

For a direct damage, they roll magic+spellcasting, and get Hits.

You roll Wil/Bod + CS and reduce hits. If they have hits left, you take net hits + force in damage.

It took my party a while to really grasp how that all worked out.

Trolls are at the high end worse at soaking drain than everyone else, not loads and loads better.

Proving once again that Orks are superior to everyone else.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Slithery)
I agree with this, but apparently we're wrong. It came up a few weeks back. I don't recall if it was officially official, but enough people who'd worked on the game said it works the way Frank says to convince me.

The Object Resistance is a threshold the spell has to achieve any time an object would be granted the opportunity to make a resistance check for the spell to not be "resisted" by that object. Essentially a river rock always gets 1 hit on spell resistance tests and a wanjina combat drone always gets 4.

When you would be in a position to see a creature protected with Improved Invisibility, you make a resistance check (Intuition + Counterspelling). A successful resistance allows you to see the creature as if it was not invisible. The drone essentially always gets 4 hits on its resistance test as its "object resistance". It's all very compact and consistent if you don't try to overthink what invisibility means.

One of several methods:
  • Beat their invisibilty spell with your resistance test.
  • You can "detect" them by noticing the spellcasting whether you see them or not, as alluded to by Slithery. The threshold is 6 - Force,, so if someone is throwing a Force 6+ Manabolt your way you detect them automatically.
  • Use other senses. Invisibility has no effect on your ability to hear your opponents.

Now if by "detect" you meant "attack" then you have a whole raft of options. You could take a blindfire penalty or simply fill the room with shrapnel or poison gas.

-Frank
Big D
I still have trouble grasping line-of-sight vs. line-of-effect--mostly when glass is involved, and especially in dealing with vehicles.
Fortune
Basically, if you can see something, you can (attempt to) affect it with Magic. The exception to this is with Indirect Damage Spells (the old Elemental Manipulations now moved to Combat), the effects of which actually travel from the caster towards the target in the real world, therefore impacting with a glass barrier that would be in the way.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Fortune)
The exception to this is with Indirect Damage Spells (the old Elemental Manipulations now moved to Combat),

Young whippersnapper! Those would be the elemental combat spells moved to elemental manipulations and then moved back to combat spells. I hear in SR5 they're going to be Health spells. Goodbye Firebolt, hello Spontaneous Combustion.
Fortune
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Oct 14 2006, 08:20 AM)
Young whippersnapper!

Not that young ... ask around. wink.gif

Those would be the elemental combat spells moved to elemental manipulations and then moved back to combat spells.

Yes I know (I've been running the shadows since the first day it hit the bookshelves), but I didn't want to confuse the lad any more than was absolutely necessary. wink.gif
Big D
So if I drop a powerball on a car when I can see the occupants inside, the car and the occupants are all attacked?

But if the windows are too tinted, then the powerball (or a fireball) attacks the car, and only does incidental damage to the occupants (which may still geek them in the end)?
Jaid
well, assuming by 'incidental damage' you mean 'damage caused by the car crashing due to massive damage' then yes.

there is pretty much 0 chance of a powerball affecting the people inside the vehicle, directly (and just so you know, windows that are tinted enough to protect you from mages are standard in the 6th world).

the fireball really *should* be able to damage the people inside provided it is able to blast through the windows' barrier rating. they kinda neglected to specify that in SR4, but that's how it worked in previous editions, and seems to be the general consensus of how it is supposed to work in this one (as far as the rules go, there is one place where it says indirect spells work 'like ranged weapons' or something to that effect, but there is nowhere that it says you don't need line of sight to hit something with them specifically)
Garrowolf
I don't have the 1st or 2nd edition books anymore. I have a memory or a spell and I don't know if it was a misinterpretatrion or a vague description but I remember a version of mana barrier that wouldn't allow living things to cross it. Objects could but people could'nt.
Does anyone else remember this?
I remember the thought of casting it across a road and watching the people spat against it inside their cars! Seems like our GM house ruled it away.
knasser
QUOTE (Garrowolf @ Oct 14 2006, 04:04 AM)
I don't have the 1st or 2nd edition books anymore. I have a memory or a spell and I don't know if it was a misinterpretatrion or a vague description but I remember a version of mana barrier that wouldn't allow living things to cross it. Objects could but people could'nt.
Does anyone else remember this?
I remember the thought of casting it across a road and watching the people spat against it inside their cars! Seems like our GM house ruled it away.

Yeah. It's been a long time, but I'm pretty certain that the original version of mana barrier blocked all living things, but not non-living things. Hence it was wonderful for sending people flying off motorbikes, etc. Also wonderful for dealing with hand to hand types and critters where you could stand just out of reach and pump them full of bullets.

Ah, happy days when my quickened armour spell didn't make me glow in a camp Tron-like way and I was special because I was a shaman and I could summon spirits whenever I wanted and the other magician couldn't 'cause he was a silly old hermetic. nyahnyah.gif
Mistwalker
I remember that mana barrier spell
It would work on people on bikes, but not on people in cars, IIRC.
laughingowl
As a note,

One thing I will allow is a Sustaining Foci to sustain more than One spell it can sustain up to its 'rating' in Force.

So a Force 5 sustain foci.

Could sustain one force 5 spell, five force 1 spells, one force 3 and one force 2, etc.

Now the 'draw back' is the 'Foci' draws all the attention of a big bad force 5 foci and is lit up like the Vegas strip... however, each 'spell' is only as stong as its force rating so very likely to 'break' if counterspelled, force through a ward, etc).

To me this give a little more 'worth' to spending the money/karma on getting a big boy by giving flexibility.

May not be 'RAW" but has worked well for me so far.
Garrowolf
I like that idea laughingowl

I was thinking of limiting foci ratings to your magic rating or for weapon foci half your magic rating. On the other hand I was thinking about making it easier to make low level foci (maybe 1 -3) but it gets into normal costs higher up.

I always twitch when I thinking about a poor tribal shaman, the character type that traditionally used alot of foci and fetishes, having to fork all that nuyen for a focus. Especially sense it was probably a rock spearwith an eagle feather on the end.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
I always twitch when I thinking about a poor tribal shaman, the character type that traditionally used alot of foci and fetishes, having to fork all that nuyen for a focus. Especially sense it was probably a rock spearwith an eagle feather on the end.

Keep in mind that's also the same character type who would traditionally have a high Enchanting skill and make all their foci from scratch, starting with the gathering tests. Who needs to fork over nuyen when you can stroll out into your back yard, and pick up all the raw material that you need?
Eben McKay
QUOTE (lorechaser)
Note what's being said there:

For a direct damage, they roll magic+spellcasting, and get Hits.

You roll Wil/Bod + CS and reduce hits. If they have hits left, you take net hits + force in damage.

It took my party a while to really grasp how that all worked out.

From the day I read the distinctions between direct and indirect combat spells in the book, it felt wrong to me.

With lower drain and less chance to survive them, why would anyone not use direct combat spells?

So I house ruled it. Direct combat spells are resisted twice, just like every other attack in the game. One to avoid getting hit by them, and another to resist the damage they deal. I've found in gameplay sessions that this really doesn't nerf the direct combat spells that much.

Even with this house rule, my players still avoid indirect combat spells like the plague. Damn stupid amounts of drain, in my opinion. Only my NPC mages still throw fireballs. frown.gif
Slithery D
QUOTE (Eben McKay @ Oct 16 2006, 07:22 AM)
From the day I read the distinctions between direct and indirect combat spells in the book, it felt wrong to me.

With lower drain and less chance to survive them, why would anyone not use direct combat spells?

Style (yeah, right), elemental effects (wow, great), or as a way to injure a magician with high Counterspelling/Shielding, so he can only stage down your base Force damage rather than avoid it entirely (shoot him instead).
Mistwalker
I may be mis-interpreting this, but I was under the impression that indirect spells, you only need to see the point that you were casting the spell, and from there it spread out, affecting anything in the area of effect, even if the caster can't see it.

To me, that explained the higher drain cost, and the secondary effects (thinking of Napalm).
hobgoblin
the problem with that, mistwalker, is that the SR4 rules clearly states that one needs LOS, and makes no exception for area effect elemental spells.

no more lobbing fireballs just beyond the open door to fry any guards in hiding. that is until we get an errata or something that inserts said exception.
Mistwalker
But, IIRC, they also say that secondary effects happen, like things catching on fire from Napalm or such.

Are you telling me that if I have something blocking line of sight in a narrow area, like say a stop sign, that nothing behind the sign would catch fire?

If you need LOS, then what is reason indirect spells have such higher drain?
hobgoblin
If you need LOS, then what is reason indirect spells have such higher drain?

that is the big question.

so far the only answer i can find is "it have allways been that way".
Butterblume
That's how the rules are written, if one applies them verbatim (which one should, of course). Doesn't make much sense with Mistwalkers example, for example. I think most people use indirect combat spells like they used to be (actually the first thing I houseruled in SR4), that they can hit targets out of LOS.
Mistwalker
Ah, but by using it has always been that way, you should also use it for no LOS needed for indirect spells.

After all, they are not mana spells that need to be "connected" to the target's mana
Fortune
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
the problem with that, mistwalker, is that the SR4 rules clearly states that one needs LOS, and makes no exception for area effect elemental spells.

Doesn't it also mention that for Elemental Spells (or maybe Area Spells), you only need line of sight to the point of impact/targeted spot?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 18 2006, 02:49 AM)

Doesn't it also mention that for Elemental Spells (or maybe Area Spells), you only need line of sight to the point of impact/targeted spot?

not that i recall, and there was a lengthy thread about it when SR4 was released.
hobgoblin
did a re-read of both entrys on area effect that was listed in the index.

it all hinges on the "valid target" definition, or so it seems.
sadly all spells are mainly described as singel target spells with the area one as just a variant with diffrent drain.
Fortune
Yeah, I re-read it and can't find anything specific either. Chalk up another house rule till this is errata'd.
Big D
The problem is that SM seems to go out of its way to answer some of the threads from this spring, and explicitly states that AE spells only hit all targets within LOS, with the word target being defined loosely enough that "hiding behind my armor" doesn't work.

If they went to all that trouble, and didn't make the obvious exception for elemental spells...

Personally, I think elemental AEs *should* use LOS from point-of-impact (which itself would be LOS to caster). That offsets the higher drain and the dodge chance, and makes elemental AEs useful in specific situations, whereas they otherwise are of little use.

In comparison, the fragball spell can do up to 12P damage twice per IP to targets not in caster LOS with no drain and no Awakened qualities.
Ranneko
The only downside is that I have to choose how many fragballs I want to be able to cast, and then acquire those annoying material components. It's like working with D&D magic =(
Big D
Meh, fragballs are relatively cheap, all things considered. Just don't get caught with one.
Jack Kain
Also near as I can tell at no point does Invisibility EVER defeat sound. If you hear where he is unload full auto into that area.
eidolon
True enough. Invis+Silence=Tasty.
PlatonicPimp
One other reason to use Indirect Combat spells:

Object resistance. That threshold of 4 is a pain to beat with powerbolt, but the indirect combat spell does normal, physical damage instead of magic damage and so ignores the object resistance.

emo samurai
Fragballs?
PlatonicPimp
Thrown Frag grenades. You know, "Fireball: spell component, one incindiary grenade."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012