Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Arrows
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CoalHeart
I'm planning on purchasing a whole slew of new arrows for my PC. He's got STR 8 and projectile(Ranger X) 6( 8 )

So With Standard Ranger X arrows thats 12 M Damage

So need custom arrows, try for a format of

Type : Damage : Cost: SI:
Special effects:

My Black Heart Thanks you.
CoalHeart
Just thinking out loud to my friend here came up with a few

Name : Acid Arrow Damage : Standard + (Acid Rating) M
Cost: Standard + acid cost

Special: Has a Acid capsule in the shaft, on impact it breaks spilling contents inside person. so Rating M damage for several turns.

Name: Rambo 1 Damage : 16 M (area)
cost: 160-250

Special : 1/2 medium long and extreme Range because of awkwardness. Has an Impact grenade mounted on the end of an arrow shaft. Just like from the movies.

Dam my lack of imagination for anything more.
Backgammon
Uhh, might one to go through your GM for this one.
CoalHeart
I intend to. Just need a list of things to present, and summarily be rejected. Hopefully one or two can slip by with an approval. Dam GM's think they run everything... er s*** they do. F***.

Edited for Content Forgot this was PG.
Kurukami
One suggestion regarding the acidic and impact-grenade arrows:

Try not to drop your quiver. vegm.gif

Or have it get hit hard. OK, so that's two...
Shadow
Your acid arrows would be good for degrading armor, but because they break on impact I don't think they would actually go through armor.

As a side note Coalheart, don't forget this is a PG-13 forum.

I think you can Dikote arrows, that would be cool. You could also have flare arrows for blinding people and for increase targeting. It's easy to shoot someone who looks like a torch.
Dr Vital
I just got my GM to accept Dikote tipped Ranger X arrows for a cost of :nuyen:1200 for 5. (What you spend on arrows you save on medical costs...)

Dikoted arrows give you (Str+4)S damage on your bow, and with the dice you're rolling they should do a fine job. They can also punch through vehicles for an added bonus.

Beyond that I'd agree with Kurukami, be careful what you put into your quiver.
mfb
boxing glove arrows. you've got to have boxing glove arrows.
Street Wyze
This is something I have been considering for a while, but have not run it by anyone until now. It's a modification to make explosive arrows more powerful. Could you pack a hollow shaft with C-12 that is detonated when the explosive tip goes off? I know that the amount you could fit inside is nowhere near a kilo, but would it be enough to up the power another 2 points or so?

Nice Green Arrow reference MFB, I like it. nyahnyah.gif
Tanka
As far as I remember, C12 goes off due to voltage, so, theoretically, you could. Just have the explosive tip send some voltage through to hit the C12.

Note: Nukes and plastic explosves (C6+, plastique, etc.) are only set off from electrical charges. Back in 'Nam, people would cook on C6, as it wouldn't go off from it, and it could keep the fire going rather well.

Ideas:

Shock Dart: Does the same kind of damage as a normal arrow (maybe less?), but also deals Stun due to a nice shock going through the arrow.

'Nade Dart: Somebody was saying that the 'nade on the end would weight it down way too much. Two things:
  • Make it a pin kind of thing. Don't activate until ready, deactivate if you don't need to use it.
  • One hyphenated word: Mini-grenade. biggrin.gif
Street Wyze
QUOTE (tanka)
Note: Nukes and plastic explosves (C6+, plastique, etc.) are only set off from electrical charges. Back in 'Nam, people would cook on C6, as it wouldn't go off from it, and it could keep the fire going rather well.

You still had to be very careful about the way you burned it, according to Joe Galloway in the book "We Were Soldiers Once and Young". Yes you could cook with it, but if you didn't light it right it could still go off. You could wrap C-4 around a grenade and the blast from the grenade would set it off for a much bigger explosion. Hee hee, that's something my characters should try. biggrin.gif
thunderchild
flechette tips.

same rules as the bullets.

thunderchild
QUOTE (Street Wyze)
QUOTE (tanka @ Oct 22 2003, 08:47 PM)
Note: Nukes and plastic explosves (C6+, plastique, etc.) are only set off from electrical charges.  Back in 'Nam, people would cook on C6, as it wouldn't go off from it, and it could keep the fire going rather well.

You still had to be very careful about the way you burned it, according to Joe Galloway in the book "We Were Soldiers Once and Young". Yes you could cook with it, but if you didn't light it right it could still go off. You could wrap C-4 around a grenade and the blast from the grenade would set it off for a much bigger explosion. Hee hee, that's something my characters should try. biggrin.gif

And also you had to be careful how you put it out, theres more than one record of a soldier heating up his C-Rations on a small Plastique fire and trying to stamp it out when an officer came around, and loosing a few toes in the process.
Finbar
Dont forget :
Riot-Foam arrows. basically,the same sized arrow head as the Rambo head and impact fused, When it connects, it explodes out riot-foam, it fills X area of space with white-foam like bubbles which have some pepper spray in them, resulting in anyone in the area of effect being the equivelent of Maced.

Fire-Retardant Arrow: Deploys a fire-retardant foam. For extra fun, have a glue-agent in there so it also sticks to things and they cant get unstuck without the solvent. Great fun, This also doubles as a Glue-Arrow.

Boxing Glove Arrow: I made these for a game once, small canister on the head that as it leaves the bow (detected by a micro hook), the head explodes like an airbag into a high pressure, inflated boxing glove. Halve the range but does normal Damage, it just happens to be Stun Damage. If you can recover it, it can be re-used.

Gas-Arrow : I like Halon gas in a small canister, liquid form. When the arrow hits, it breaks the canister and high pressure gas escapes. Also good is Hydrogen Suphide, for clearing an area with sheer stench.

Splash Arrow: Small container with DMSO and fluid of Choice. I like LSD mixed with the one that doubles wound penalties (frenzy?) cause everything becomes hypersensitive. Thats a great combination against spellcasters.

Flash-Bang Arrow : Impact fused Flash/Concussion grenade (or superflash).

Grappeling Hook Arrow: Small folding grapell attatched to a strong thing chord you can climb up (or shoot into people and then hold them in place)

CoalHeart
Finbar, Thanks those are all good things I haven't thought of yet.

For that DSMO + toxin one I was thinking Dart arrows? like a hypo on the end of the shaft injecting whoever it hits.

Would that fall under chemical delivery rules and be able to bypass armor completely with a called shot? Would it just act as normal if it causes damage it injects it's payload?

Flash bang arrows, torch arrows, airbag arrows ( I really like this one shoot someone with airbag arrow, it gets stuck in them, and them BAM it inflates tearing the hole open to a huge gaping wound. )

Dikote arrows, Yum! great for piercing tanks and blowing out those pesky spirits.

foam arrows I like this one

gas delivery arrows, I really like this one.

shock arrows I'm not clear how that one would work? any tech specs for it? I'l have to convince my GM it's feasable before he'd say yes

Flachette arrows how does that work?

grapple hook arrows Very good idea would make scaling buildings much easier thanks
thunderchild
QUOTE (CoalHeart)

Flechette arrows how does that work?

Well instead of the head being a standard hunting head, its made up of lots of sharp little individual pieces of metal.

imagine it like a shot glass full of toothpicks, on the end of an arrow, if your feeling realy mean you could put a small blasting cap like item behind the spines so when it hits the explosive fires them into the bod.

so instead of it being one head in one hole.... its now around 50 realy tiny heads in one big ugly mess of flesh and short sharp metal spines.

CoalHeart
Sounds Messy. I'll jot that one down and draw up a little diagram to placate the GM.

I think he has trouble enough that my character shot down his attack chopper. He's got a bit of a thing for 'super bosses' towards the end of runs. But at least blowing it up with an arrow through the engine is better then watching your team get chewed up by the dual MMGs and the rockets.
Zazen
QUOTE (thunderchild)
And also you had to be careful how you put it out, theres more than one record of a soldier heating up his C-Rations on a small Plastique fire and trying to stamp it out when an officer came around, and loosing a few toes in the process.

Is there really a record of that someplace? I told that story here once, it happened to a friend of a friend.

And yeah, C-4 will go off with heat and pressure. It's hard to set it off without both, though. Mere heat will burn the stuff, mere pressure doesn't seem to be enough (it can take a high-powered rifle round and not detonate). Also, from what I read, they don't normally use an electrical charge to set it off, they use a blasting cap (which may be electrical). Nothing I read indicated that an electrical charge will even work.
Siege
Actually, I thought it was debunked as an urban legend? Plastique does burn and soldiers in Viet Nam did heat meals over it, but as for stomping in it to (ahem) boot?

-Siege
Tanka
I got that little tidbit from a Chemistry major friend, as well as hearing backup from a Physics major. The Chem major is on a free ride, and got payed to do some research for NASA on monofilament test tubes.

Yes, that means what you think it means. Monofil is getting closer and closer.

He said it sucked at the end of the day to have what looked like black dust on your fingers, then realize it was tiny pieces of monomolecular glass embedded in your skin.

Ouch. dead.gif
CoalHeart
Got an evil idea but I'm not entirely sure if it would work (nevermind it ever being allowed)

Mono arrows

they spring open mid flight and between the tiny bars is a strand of monowire to slice into arms legs, necks. Id imagine they would do very little to any sort of barrier though. Not even sure of how much damage they could do

Maybe I'm smoking too much weed but I thought it was a good idea at the time.

In any case. Skip that idea.

Dikoted Barbed Ex Ex Ranger X arrows for me.
and I think I'll convince them of mini grenades at the end of the shaft. And a few of those other designs. Thanks guys you helped me get through my mental block. Now just to get the face to roll some etiquette to the fletcher contact.

I still imagine it's going to cost an arm and a leg, but hopefully it'll all be worth it in the end.
Tanka
Monowire between two arrows! No! Yuck! Evil! Bad! Ouch! Never!

Evil to use against any PCs, though. devil.gif
CoalHeart
I figure mono arrows would run over 5k each before street index but yea too dangerous, Oh look a dragon shoot slice, oh look a dead dragon.
Tanka
If it can manage to get through the scales, of course...

Oh, and the massive Body attribute... And natural armor... And the flamethrower spell coming at them, and the arrow...

That's why it is said: "Never deal with a dragon."

Unless, of course, you want to be dragon food.
CoalHeart
Oh right... Just let me strap a mini nuke onto the end of an arrow and there we go.
Tanka
Sounds like a plan! Oh, wait, you can't prove that you killed it. Only that a nuke went off and kill a few hundred/thousand people.

But, hey, you killed it!
ialdabaoth
That's why I always like 'Detect Dragon' / 'Slay Dragon' anchored spells at sufficiently high Force, linked to an orichalcum-and-telesmatic-rowanwood arrow.
CoalHeart
You can link spells to arrows? Interesting....

Can you ward an arrow to make spirit slaying arrows?

tell me more of this magic arrows. I need something to bust up spirits since our mage is fairly useless... dam pacifist. Good Face, useless for anything else.
ialdabaoth
It's called Anchoring, and only an Initiate can do it - and you've got to learn how.

Anchoring has two mechanics - the SR3 system, and the (in my opinion) infinitely superior SR2 system. In SR3, you create a special type of focus, and anchor a detection spell or 'trigger' (which could also be a simple 'touch activation' or 'command word spoken, not just a detection spell), followed by a payload spell. When the detection spell/trigger activates, the payload spell goes off, targeting whatever 'triggered' it (i.e., whatever was detected by the detection spell, or whatever issued the command word). Then the magician, wherever he is in the world, takes Drain and knows that his Anchor went off.

In SR2, you took the drain when you made the anchor, so you could make true 'magic items' that had sustained spells linked into them, that could be turned on/off by specific conditions. You could also daisy-chain anchors in SR2, so you pretty much had a Turing-complete 'magical programming language' to build magic items with. It rocked. Now you can just do 'magic potions' and other such one-shot effects, which isn't nearly as cool.

But yeah, you can anchor a pretty hefty combat spell into an arrow, and then a detection spell so that the arrow only targets what you want it to (but if it's an area-effect spell, be careful walking too close to what you're targeting!). I've created a specific spell called 'detect impact' for just these occasions, that lets you make anchors that deliver their payload only when they hit something with sufficient force. If you're going after meat targets, and are sure you're going to be able to penetrate, 'detect blood' might be useful too.

CoalHeart
ialdabaoth, you are a mad genius before your times.

*jots notes*

is it possible to Anchor a seeking spell? so your Arrow can alter direction if lets say your target is running for his dear life.
Detect Target Force 1
Change direction Force 1?
ialdabaoth
That's a very interesting idea. Canonically, it doesn't appear so... let me think about it for a minute, though.

Postulate: A modified version of 'Magic Fingers', in the same vein as 'Fling' - but it's sustained, and it just causes objects of a certain type (say, arrows) to be attracted to the target, and the target to be similarly attracted to those targets, by a given force. We'll call it 'Attraction'. Now, you can make a specifically targeted version of this spell: For example, you could make each arrow a stacked focus (with a Force 1 sustaining focus, with 'Attract Dragon' linked to it.) Then you put in a dual anchored spell, linked to 'Attract Arrow' and 'Slay Dragon'.

So, what happens is, you get an extra number of dice to hit the dragon, equal to the number of successes in the 'Attract Dragon' spell. Then, when the Dragon gets hit, the 'Detect Dragon' spell goes off, and the Dragon gets hit with two spells: Attract Arrow, and Slay Dragon. Slay Dragon hurts the dragon, badly, and Attract Arrow means that all FURTHER arrows shot at the dragon will get the successes on this spell added to their attack roll, too - after the fourth or fifth arrow hits, you're pretty much guaranteed a hit on any further arrows.
ialdabaoth
Of course, keep in mind that EACH arrow is going to cost your caster around 5-10 Karma, and will be pretty much gone once it's used.
CoalHeart
Hrm 5-10 karma per would be a problem. Dam... is it just my opinion of is that just rediculuos that expendable anchorings cost karma?

I mean you spent karma learning the skill to make it, spent karma learning the metamagic, Spent karma learning the spells. Spent hours creathing the foci, spent more hours binding the spells. Spent who knows how much money on materials. Just to then cost Karma?

I mean if it were reusable I could understand the karma need since its permenant.

P.S. I can't spell or type well today. I have no idea why.
ialdabaoth
Expendable anchorings cost karma because you've got to imbue a bit of your life-force into the spell to make it work.

I would agree that it's excessive, but only because the magician must resist drain when the spell goes off. I would argue that the drain happens when you cast the spell into the item (as in SR2); this would rebalance the game significantly. It would also mean that anchors would still work after the caster dies.
Siege
Well, if you had enough material you could make a mother-length of chain and put a harpoon/spike/spear.

That'll get you a certain amount of range.

Granted, with that much magical material, you could retire quite happily...

-Siege
ialdabaoth
Heh. That IS an idea, isn't it?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Zazen)
QUOTE (thunderchild @ Oct 23 2003, 02:49 AM)

Is there really a record of that someplace? I told that story here once, it happened to a friend of a friend.

And yeah, C-4 will go off with heat and pressure. It's hard to set it off without both, though. Mere heat will burn the stuff, mere pressure doesn't seem to be enough (it can take a high-powered rifle round and not detonate). Also, from what I read, they don't normally use an electrical charge to set it off, they use a blasting cap (which may be electrical). Nothing I read indicated that an electrical charge will even work.

Since this was the last msg along this thread in this topic, I thought I'd wrap it up.

Explosives in general (including all military explosives I'm aware of, and certainly including C4) are set off by other explosives. They are NOT set off by electric charges. Some very unstable explosives might (as, I suppose, is the situation with the powder in an electric blasting cap), but these are not used as primary explosives.

This doesn't mean C-12 isn't set off by an electric charge, though. It sounds really silly that it would be, but then this is SR. If there's magic and dragons and Suppressed Non-penetrating Heavy Machine Guns, there might as well be primary explosives that can be set off by electric currents.
CoalHeart
I suppose... But you can get expendable spell foci that add to your magic, and help you do some really spectacular spells. I mean if you had the money for it you could burn off 10 of the expendable force 10 foci and cast a spell strong enough to nuke a city.

Just because something casts a spell by itself or actually in essence just delayed for as long as it takes for the trigger to go off, why would that cost Karma?

*mutters* I'll probalby regret getting into this but...
Casting a spell doesn't cost karma.
Sustaining a spell doesn't cost karma
waiting and then casting doesn't cost karma
Casting and then having the spell wait for you to trigger it costs karma?

Feh.... nevermind me I just don't get it, nor am I going to try to change the game or make a house rule.

I wonder if it costs a demolisionist karma if he sets a bomb on a triggered delay when the image recoginition software identifies it's target... Oh wait right he paid cash for it. BLAH.

I'm going to go smoke up and come back, thanks for the help though.

ialdabaoth
Locking a spell to an item so it can be cast or sustained outside of your presence costs Karma.

Sustaining foci, Quickening, and Anchoring all have this principle in common.
CoalHeart
Yes I suppose so.
Sustaining = Permenant untill foci is removed from you, dispelled, passes thruogh ward, or actively turned off

Quickening= permenant, untill dispelled or passed through strong enough ward.

expendable Anchoring = Temporarily permenant untill triggered, untill dispelled, passes through ward, or physicall destroyed. one time use.

permenant anchor = temporarily permenant untill triggered, untill dispelled, passed through ward physically destroyed, and reusable.

eh hell I wish there were expendable sustaining Foci. It would hold Force X 10 minutes worth of spells

Force 1 foci would hold a force 1 spell for 10 mins.
force 6 foci would hold a force 1 spell for 60 mins.
force 4 foci would hold a force 2 spell for 20 mins

I really should stop smoking, I'm coming up with crap huh?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012