Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 4th Edition, Online
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Steak and Spirits
Introduction:

My first, and second attempts at this introduction turned out entirely too long winded. Let me suffice it to say that my RPG experience is almost exclusively inside of a 24/7, live-roleplay text-based online environment, run by a handful of staff members, with a playerbase that would not fit comfortably in most people's living rooms. The hours I've logged in this sort of environment absolutely dwarf any tabletop campaigns.

The genre has been alive for some time, with several of my fellow text-based gamers going at it for well over a decade, and it is a genre of RPGs that is, quite obviously, not limited merely to Shadowrun.

The change from Shadowrun 2nd edition, to Shadowrun 3rd edition was a fairly smooth change. However, from 3rd to 4th is seeming a bit more daunting.

We've already been able to write the majority of the themeatic backbone of our setting, but implimenting mechanics is another thing altogether. So, that said, I'd like to poll what I believe is the single largest collection of experienced Shadowrun players in the World: The Dumpshock Forums.

The Question:

What/How would you do/change to 4th edition to play in the above environment?

The Stipulations:

Keep in mind this genre of roleplay is run by multiple GMs, who provide a 24/7 tabletop experience, that consists of both active shadowrunning, as well as roleplayed 'downtime'. Excessive houserules run the risk of alienating players who are interested in the genre, but unfamiliar with the ruleset. Additionally, this genre of gaming doesn't 'reset' at the end of a campaign. The duration of one single 'campaign' lasted the entire duration of an edition of Shadowrun, from launch, to completion (And, incidentially, is -still- going on, in lieu of upgrading to 4th edition.)

Players are free to allow their character to accumulate karma, with no limit imposed on growth potential other than their own motivation to participate in the game, or their own ability to stay alive. (Yes, in some rare cases, players have refused to let go of their PCs even as they slowly, but surely, hit the 500 Karma marks.) And alternately, a player can just as easily retire their character, and go back through character generation to begin with a fresh concept.

The Solution:

So, once more: How does 4th Edition Shadowrun need to be changed? Does it at all? What are your opinions, as fellow Dumpshockers, if -you- were playing in a game environment that didn't stop, when you did, had unlimited growth potential, and lacked the fine degree of control that a single GM in a tabletop environment had.

I've really like to know, as our project team is having a few disputes regarding which direction to take this latest edition of the game.
Eleazar
One serious concern your going to have to look at since campaigns just don't end are Mages and Technomancers. Magic and Resonance doesn't cap. They could get seriously insanely powerful, with enough karma invested.

I don't necessarily think anything needs to be changed from the rules. Of course I don't know exactly how you have this online game implemented. Is it a MUD, MOO, or something else. Is there an actual established, built online world or do the GMs create the world just like tabletop session. Could you clarify a bit more about what this is?
Steak and Spirits
MUX. The environment consists of 'rooms' which hold descriptions based on anything from a regional zone, down to a specific pier-side cafe. No, it doesn't have coded 'Encounters' or 'Roaming Bad Guys' like a MUD. All rolls (Using a +roll code), with few exceptions, are taken by connected staff members, identically to the manner of which a GM would take them in a tabletop session, to include visible, or 'hidden', or player-list-specific rolls.

And yes. The near-limitless expansion of magic has always been a problem with Shadowrun, particularly inside of this type of RPG genre.
Mistwalker
I too would need more details about how the "world" is set up.

I would suggest that you stick to RAW, with possibly the tweak rule options in the BBB.

I wouldn't worry about the no-cap on magic and resonnance, not if you have chars that have over 500 karma. It would take something like 294 karma to raise magic from 6 to 12 (attribute and initiation). No new spells, or skills. In that time, your sammy or other chars, can have accumulated a fortune for delta implants, etc...
blakkie
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits @ Oct 16 2006, 09:34 AM)
And yes.  The near-limitless expansion of magic has always been a problem with Shadowrun, particularly inside of this type of RPG genre.

How did you handle it previously? Or was is basically a case of most longterm characters were awakened in some way. I checked out, I think, Awake 2062 a while back and the percent of the population that was Adept seemed 'high'. Although they do have coded NPC encounters.

@Mistwalker: It's likely only going to start being an issue in the 800-1000 karma range. Of course how much of an issue it is depends a lot what the game play is like. If it doesn't support mages enough to give them their full RAW power then it is likely only Adepts that would get dodgy, and even then given the extra karma costs for Adepts in SR4 they'd only have some superhuman qualities. Mainly in those powers that bypass the Attribute cap (apparently ohplease.gif , yes I'm looking at you Power Throw).
Steak and Spirits
How did you handle it previously? Or was is basically a case of most longterm characters were awakened in some way.

That really depends on the site. But no, being awakened was not a pre-requisite for a long term character. To be honest, I'm having difficulty pulling up more than a handful of names of awakened character's that managed to continue on into the 500+ karma range.

But to answer your question, some games have allowed awakened character's to run amuck, or even encouraged a high magic population. Others have instituted quotas, above and beyond the character application process, dealing with needed slots inside various organizations for awakaned characters. One game that comes to mind, set in something of an edgy, cyberpunked out London, actually allowed magic to run as it was written in canon, but chopped cyberware cost and availability dramatically, and enforced theme that made the game more 'punk' friendly, with heavy In Character restrictions on the use of unlicensed magic.

Personally, (I believe) we'll be taking a middle road, that involves plenty of In-Character repurcussions for Magic getting out of hand, in addition to a few long term incentives for non-awakened characters. But I think it would not be prudent to actually institute quotas, and thus actively stiffle a player's sovereign creativity.

I checked out, I think, Awake 2062 a while back and the percent of the population that was Adept seemed 'high'. Although they do have coded NPC encounters.

I'm not familiar with Awake 2062. Generally speaking, most games are named after the city that they are created around. I.E, Shadowrun: Seattle, Shadowrun: Denver, Shadowrun: New York City, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Shadowrun: Istanbul, etc.

And coded NPC encounters are not integrated into the game. All NPCs are directly controlled by 'live' play from a Game-Master, excepting a 'Player-Run-Plot', which allows players to act as 'limited' game masters for minor, non-metaplot affecting adventures.

I too would need more details about how the "world" is set up.

I would suggest that you stick to RAW, with possibly the tweak rule options in the BBB.

Sure thing. As noted, the world consists of 'rooms' (referred to as such, for coding purposes) that encompass anything from a very small (The interior of a vehicle), to very large (The downtown Region). Rooms 'break up' or 'break down' depending on the scope. For instance, an 'Eastern Downtown room' would have textual description of the Downtown region, with exits that lead to specific neighborhoods in downtown, each with their own descriptions, and each neighbor, further, may have specific locations, such as a local Bar, or Barber Shop, or really anything. Regions have exits to other regions, and so a character 'navigates' from the code perspective, by moving from room to room. From an 'In Character' perspective, of course, they're traveling city streets, rumaging through sewers, screeching through traffic, or leaping from building-tops backset by a pale, full moon - All of this hinging, of course, on what is appropriate for the scene that is set. Needless to say, simply because a 'room' is not 'hardcoded' someplace, does not mean the city lacks such a location. It just means that it needs to be written into the scene, and an actual 'room' object added to the grid can occur if demand for continue use of the location exists.

Example: A stuffer shack may exist, In Character, every few blocks downtown, but there may only be one 'Stuffer Shack Room' placed on the grid. This does not mean that there is a single Stuffer Shack in the entire city, but rather, that for purposes of not overcomplicating things, only a single 'room' has been dedicated to a particular Stuffer Shack. Players are free to 'pose' (That is, roleplay) additional stuffer shacks, if appropriate.

All of that, of course, is secondary. For all intents and purposes, and for ease of imagining, just consider it a really, really big table-top game, with multiple collaborating Game Masters, where people sit at their keyboard, instead of in each other's living rooms.

For a metaphor, it fits nearly perfectly.

So... Getting back to 'tweaks' in the BBB - What specifically do you feel will be conducive to this type of environment? Magic seems to be the current concern, as I expected. What other suggestions or alternations may be prudent?
Eleazar
The only thing I can think of then off the top of my head is making sure you define the ambiguous. The one I have in mind is hacking. Everyone has their own way of how hacking works per raw. I would suggest reading Serbitar's Guide to the Matrix. You can find it here:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=12797

I would also suggest looking at some of his other guides too. Serbitar's house rules could also be helpful in giving you an idea of what you might need to fix or live with.
James McMurray
No changes needed really. It sounds like you've got a PC version of a tabletop game, and SR4 runs fineo n the tabletop.
DireRadiant
RAW Game Mechanics <> Gameplay.

Adjusting the base mechanics may help influence the play, but ultimately it is entirely up to GM policy and enforcement to generate play style and rules to achieve the overall game effect you want.

It's very likely the same problems you have in SR3 are the same type of problems in SR4, just to greater or lesser degrees.

Game Environment --> Policy --> Game Mechanics

Only at the point at which the game mechanics directly interfere with intended environment and policy do you need to alter the game mechanics.

To answer your question though...

What problems do you currently have and what is the example of how you have solved it? (We can take a look at a comparable issue in SR3 and see if hte same solution works or not)

What kind of problems do you expect?

It will be much more useful to describe a very specific problem, then you get a detailed and specific answers to consider.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits)
So... Getting back to 'tweaks' in the BBB - What specifically do you feel will be conducive to this type of environment? Magic seems to be the current concern, as I expected. What other suggestions or alternations may be prudent?

Your most effective tool is the shared communication with the admin team to execute and deliver a consistent environment for the players.

In regards to the BBB, I wouldn't change anything. But I would do everything to ensure the most consistent interpetation of the rules by the admin team. There are some gaps in the book that leave a lot to intepretation and if the admins run things differently from each other at different events, then that would lead to problems.
Steak and Spirits
QUOTE (Eleazar)
The only thing I can think of then off the top of my head is making sure you define the ambiguous. The one I have in mind is hacking. Everyone has their own way of how hacking works per raw. I would suggest reading Serbitar's Guide to the Matrix. You can find it here:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=12797

I would also suggest looking at some of his other guides too. Serbitar's house rules could also be helpful in giving you an idea of what you might need to fix or live with.

I've looked them over, and can appreciate the changes. However, I'm concerned, once again, about alienating players.

"Buy the Fanpro books, read them, and refer to them for most of your questions," is a much easier approach than, "Buy the Fanpro books, read them, refer to them, then cross-reference to these house rules." -- This is especially true as not all players chargenning will have a great depth of experience in the Shadowrun ruleset, despite their Roleplay experience.

So, I'm looking at implimenting the most essential, but least invasive changes possible. Ideally, players won't have to read much more than a few paragraphs to understand the changes between our gameplay, and the core rules.

Additionally, this saves us the trouble of backdating houserules, or reversing them, as Fanpro continues to release suppliments.
Steak and Spirits
QUOTE (DireRadiant)

To answer your question though...

What problems do you currently have and what is the example of how you have solved it? (We can take a look at a comparable issue in SR3 and see if hte same solution works or not)

To be honest, there wasn't a great deal of problems in Shadowrun 3rd edition, and it translated very well into an open ended, potentially limitless game. Skills were only 'theoretically' capped by incrementally more expensive costs to raise, and the basic mechanic dice mechanics of the game helped enforce the notion that even the very best fail against impossible odds, and even a rookie can get lucky sometimes.

The most difficult part was integrating all the different archetypes together on a run. Shadowrun 4th Edition did an excellent job of addressing this, however, by giving Decker's a greater degree of 'onsite' utility. This, and speeding up the gameplay a bit, are two aspects of 4th Edition that I'll be forever grateful of.

What kind of problems do you expect?

It will be much more useful to describe a very specific problem, then you get a detailed and specific answers to consider.

I'm concerned about character advancement and min-maxing, for one. I'm currently sitting in the 'Attributes are too cheap' and 'Skills are too expensive' camp, but after some playtesting, an alternative to the proposed standard character generation won't be appropriate. If the costs of attribute raises are raised however, I believe that will just backdate min/maxing into character generation - Which, of course, is an issue that can be mitigated in the character application/Staff-approval process.

Additionally, yes, one thing that I very much agree with so far, is that a clear, concise definition of terms, and effects amoung staff will be key - I'll definitely be taking that back with me, when we sit down again to discuss site policy.

Additionally, I do have some concern about mundane character's capping their potential a bit prematurely. Shadowrun 4th edition has moved the Magic vs. Mundane 'Power' arguement not only from 'power' but also potential. On the other hand, removing skill caps may turn out to be overly drastic.

Additionally, beyond these few concerns here, I just wanted to have the matter looked at with a fresh pair of eyes. We're so focused on our style of gaming, that it's nice to have another perspective dropped into the mix. So, I definitely appreciate the feedback. smile.gif
Mistwalker
The rule tweak that I was mostly thinking of is on p69, grittier section, 1st tweak.
That tweak is to limit the number of successes to no more than 2x the skill.
I believe that this may help with your concern about attibute vs skill concern.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits)
"Buy the Fanpro books, read them, and refer to them for most of your questions," is a much easier approach than, "Buy the Fanpro books, read them, refer to them, then cross-reference to these house rules." -- This is especially true as not all players chargenning will have a great depth of experience in the Shadowrun ruleset, despite their Roleplay experience.

That's the other reason I suggested not changing anything, although I should have qualified that a bit. I've run online games (mostly arenas where minmaxing is a matter of course) for about 4 years now, and house rules are the bane of my existence, but a necessary evil.

When I said it worked great on the tabletop I wasn't thinking from a multiplayer online viewpoint. Around the tabletop it's relatively easy to come to a quick agreement on anything that might be a little over the top. Online though you've got a lot more people wanting to break the rules.

I'd suggest looking very closely as agents and mind control magic. A quick search will turn up several threads about how devestating those can be when left unchecked. Also, in at least one thread here a FanPro person has said that unbound spirits on remote services are meant to be limited to one. I'd follow that rule to avoid a streaming supply of spirits doing work instead of characters.
Steak and Spirits
When I said it worked great on the tabletop I wasn't thinking from a multiplayer online viewpoint. Around the tabletop it's relatively easy to come to a quick agreement on anything that might be a little over the top. Online though you've got a lot more people wanting to break the rules.

I totally agree. Hence the concern.

I'd suggest looking very closely as agents and mind control magic. A quick search will turn up several threads about how devestating those can be when left unchecked. Also, in at least one thread here a FanPro person has said that unbound spirits on remote services are meant to be limited to one. I'd follow that rule to avoid a streaming supply of spirits doing work instead of characters.

Noted and appreciated. It's been my experience that mind control magic is usually the breaking point of most RPGs, so hopefully, we'll be able to pool our collective experience and sense together when we deal with it on our grid. I'll take that spirit/remote services to heart.

The rule tweak that I was mostly thinking of is on p69, grittier section, 1st tweak.
That tweak is to limit the number of successes to no more than 2x the skill.
I believe that this may help with your concern about attibute vs skill concern.

Definitely a valid suggestion. Thanks for bringing that back to my attention.

Anyone else out there?

Lagomorph
Apart from redoing the matrix rules (which doesn't sound like you want to do), there are really just fuzzy points that would need to be more clearly defined.

Like:
When rigging, why do riggers use Agility for Gunnery?
How do partial Cyberlimbs add damage boxes compared to full cyberlimbs?
How are the hit boxes for vehicles determined?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits @ Oct 16 2006, 11:39 AM)
"Buy the Fanpro books, read them, and refer to them for most of your questions," is a much easier approach than, "Buy the Fanpro books, read them, refer to them, then cross-reference to these house rules."

The only problem is that there is so much in the official books that is left to the GM to decide for his playgroup's particular style. One classic example is encumbrance. A rule is provided for how much weight a character can carry, yet the designers deliberately and specifically left the question of how much any piece of gear actually weighs is left for individual playgroups to decide.

The Hacking rules have some notable gaps. When Bull, one of the admins here and also a FanPro freelancer, solicited questions for what was to be an unofficial Hacking FAQ (and later got passed on to the developers at FanPro who are in the process of putting together an official FAQ), there were several questions that he had to admit were simply unanswerable by the Rules as Written. And while some of those unanswerable questions deal with obscure corner cases, others dealt with core issues such as how many initiative passes characters are supposed to get when operating in augmented reality, and how agents and commlinks work.

The magic rules also have areas that require GM policy-making, and this is after the release of the Magic sourcebook. The freelancer who did the section on warding, for example, has posted clarifications on his blog, because he feels that the way the rules appear in print don't reflect his intent, and is lobbying with the folks at FanPro to add his clarifications as official FAQ/errata. That's not the only issue, I can think of a few others, for example the power level of blood spirits.

I can fully understand wanting to avoid having a lengthy set of houserules for your players to cross-reference, so I'd say your best bet is to at the very least wait for FanPro to put out their FAQ for the core SR4 rules, the next revision of the core rules errata, and the rest of the splatbooks for the major rules sections. I'm tempted to say that it'd be worth it to wait on errata and FAQs for the splatbooks as well. Even then, I have a feeling that a houserule & GM Guidelines and Policies document will be unavoidable.
mfb
SandS? honestly? don't play SR4. i'm not saying this because i dislike SR4 (though i do), but because SR4 is not designed for that type of play. the entire basis of the game system will break for every single character in a relatively short time, because of the small difference between starting-level and the utter peak of ability. fixing that would require a lot, lot, lot more work than updating SR3 (which is, in and of itself, a hell of a lot of work).
Steak and Spirits
Mmm... Yeah. Definitely a daunting task.

You understand, then, why I'm polling Dumpshock for some suggestions. cool.gif
lorechaser
Follow up on the Cyberlimbs: Do Cyberhands affect gunfire? Not arms, but simply hands.
Fortune
Are you deliberately not telling us the address/name of the MUX to which you are referring?
Steak and Spirits
QUOTE (Fortune)
Are you deliberately not telling us the address/name of the MUX to which you are referring?

I'm more interested in the topic at hand, than plugging any specific sites floating around out there.
Fortune
So, in other words, yes.
Steak and Spirits
QUOTE (Fortune)
So, in other words, yes.

So, in other words: I've left out specific address information because it does not pertain to the direction I would like the thread to head. I think that was more of a subconcious intention, than a deliberate intention, when sitting down and creating this thread.

SandS? honestly? don't play SR4. i'm not saying this because i dislike SR4 (though i do), but because SR4 is not designed for that type of play. the entire basis of the game system will break for every single character in a relatively short time, because of the small difference between starting-level and the utter peak of ability.

Definitely a concern. How can that be mitigated, in a minimally invasive fashion? Would increasing the cost of attribute raises be sufficient? Decreasing the cost of skill raises? Does uncapping skills and/or attributes, in addition to cost changes address that?

If that is your largest concern, can you fix it by finesse, rather than brute forcing the system?

Alternate rules for grittier gameplay: Successes capped by skill x 2.

I believe we'll be using this. Definitely looks like it's going to help. Thanks again for that specific suggestion, and everyone elses' input. I've got a running notepad file open, taking notes.
blakkie
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits @ Oct 17 2006, 03:59 AM)
SandS? honestly? don't play SR4. i'm not saying this because i dislike SR4 (though i do), but because SR4 is not designed for that type of play. the entire basis of the game system will break for every single character in a relatively short time, because of the small difference between starting-level and the utter peak of ability.

Definitely a concern.

Not really in your case since it appears you don't have automaticed MOBs and Karma. It takes making a gimped character at 400 BP focused on one narrow field at least 300 karma (and some cash), with exclusion of any other advancement, to hit the top of a field in Active Skills. That is before relavent Knowledge skills, which should matter in your case since you use meat GMs. Having meat GMs also means it should be easier to have a wider range of relavent Skills in play.

So do you expect your player characters to reach the 1000 karma range in a "relatively short time"? If so you might want to rethink your karma awards. If not then no real worries of the "breaking".
TBRMInsanity
I would like to add to this thread by saying that what should be done is a group of interested programmers create a MMOG version of SR4. It would have to be a freelance project but when it is done it could be presented to Microsoft and FASA studios (who own the rights to any SR game) with also the blessing of Wizkids and FanPro (who own the rights to SR4). If the game is not approved the game could be slightly modified so it has a SR feel and play but not the name or terms that would make it break any contracts. SR in my mind would make the ultimate MMOG due to the rich back story and limited possibilities for character development.

I would love to be a part of this group if it were made and I have some ideas on where to start. First off I would suggest using the Torque engine as it is relatively easy to learn (given you already know C++) and it would save having to create a games engine from scratch. I would also suggest a direct translation of the SR4 rules or SR3 rules with SR4 equipment. I think that the SR4 time setting allows for a much larger range of character types and I like the idea of AR in the game. For the server side of the house I would suggest that each "area" (either one Megaplex, or barren country side, etc) was hosted on one server and players are transferred from server to server as they go to different locations in the games world. This will mean that the main server (Seattle) will have to be able to handle the traffic load.

Comments?
Steak and Spirits
So do you expect your player characters to reach the 1000 karma range in a "relatively short time"? If so you might want to rethink your karma awards. If not then no real worries of the "breaking".

While we haven't hammered down all the numbers precisely yet, past editions of the game in this environment have usually led to very active players earning between 150-250 karma per year. Sometimes a little more. Sometimes a little less.

It all depends on how active they are in Metaplots, player-plots, and additionally how many Roleplay Karma nominations they receive from fellow players during both active, and downtime Roleplay.

One of the in house suggestions for mitigating 'power creep' is to maintain incentive policies for players who want to recycle their character, and rechargen up a new concept, but don't like the prospect of losing all the time/progress they've invested into the game.

This usually comes in the form of a percentage of previously earned karma turned into 'rollover' karma, in addition to higher caps for starting gear, skills, or attributes.

Ideally, this will allow the grid to stay fresh, with only a few die hards who won't give their character up, and retire them once they've exceeded a desirable power curve. Without, you know, actually -forcing- anyone to do anything. We like to maintain player sovereignty over their characters.

Anyway, be that as it may, I'm still concerned with the relatively low cost of attributes, and widesweeping benefit compared to the only slightly less expensive skills or skill groups.

---

I would like to add to this thread by saying that what should be done is a group of interested programmers create a MMOG version of SR4.

I can see how a lot of young bucks may appreciate that sort of thing. And I'd definitely applaud the effort, if for no other reason that it will get the shadowrun name out there, increase Fanpro's funding, and thus, ensure the game line lives on. From a personal standpoint, however, MMORPGs lack the depth, flexibility, and incentive for me to play. I've logged plenty of hours, long ago, in text based environments that modern video games have still yet to catch up with. Without sounding negative, MMORPGs I've seen always just end up looking like a MUD with pictures, that they charge you for the priveledge of playing, that still can't manage to do what text was doing back in the early 1990s.

If MMORPGs are that far behind the curve, maybe I'll climb on board in 2025, when they've caught up to text. cool.gif

---

As it stands, it seems to be the consensus of the forum that Matrix rules will need explicit clarification, it may be prudent to cap success contests based on skill level, and that much of this can be addressed simply by pointing towards a ToBeReleased FAQ.

Anything else? It seems like all of you feel there is very little, if anything that needs to be changed.
Dissonance
I think I know what S&S is talking about, or rather where he's talking about. Or, at least, I've played in similar areas.

If it _is_ the place I think it is, I'm a little surprised that it's making the switch. However, I think one of the problems with the curve was the whole idea of nominations, in that while it's a good complement to running?

All too often, you get people amassing karma without actually going on runs, and then you've got a multi-init barfly, and that's just no good.
Steak and Spirits
The issue of characters who do little running, and earn the majority of their karma through social means is always a tough nut to crack in this environment. On one hand, due to time zone constraints, some players will naturally fall into time slots that will have more active staff members available for plots connected. This may be perceived as unfair. Alternately, however, without karma generated for social RP, some players may not feel as 'encouraged' to continue to spawn life into the 24/7 environment, even during downtime, which can lead to the type of game that is only alive when there's a plot going on, and has little ability to be self-sustaining otherwise.

Perhaps, if you're familiar with the genre, you've seen more than your fair share of sites with large connection logs, and most of them consisting of player objects idling away in one of the Out-Of-Character rooms.

This is entirely an aside note to the intention of this thread, but this issue is why karma generated from plots will provide the vast -bulk- of karma earned, and why downtime Roleplay earns a much less significant share. It is important to facilitate roleplay in all it's forms, but also important to remember that at the core, the game is ShadowRun, and not BarFlyRun.

Rest assured that despite any experiences you may have had in the past, our crew is experienced enough in the MUX genre to make the liklihood of that becoming a reoccuring issue a very slim chance. A much more daunting task is merely porting 4th Edition Shadowrun into the MUX environment to begin with.
blakkie
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits @ Oct 17 2006, 08:20 AM)
Anyway, be that as it may, I'm still concerned with the relatively low cost of attributes, and widesweeping benefit compared to the only slightly less expensive skills or skill groups.

In practice it doesn't really work out that way.

To get good at something in the end you always have to go to spending Karma on Skills. Sure you can build a strong base in Attributes, but without spending on Skills you are at best a Generalist. And Shadowrun, when played as a team endevour, loves the Specialist. Plus in the end you still have to go to the Skills to push the character up into the elite ranks. They will tend to be the last to be bought, but you really burn though the Karma doing it.

It'll make more sense to you when you either play for a while, or realize that buying Attributes and Skills are buying the same thing, ability. The higher you try to push your ability the more expensive it tends to be. In SR3 ability was largely defined by Skills along. In SR4 Attributes represent something a little different and they make up most of the low end of ability, Skills make up most of the high end.
Anything else?  It seems like all of you feel there is very little, if anything that needs to be changed.

Likely not. I personally wouldn't even bother with the Skillx2 limit. But then I tend to play a little outside of canon in that I like to see higher than 4 Thresholds more than the few expections currently in the rules. Spirits are likely the biggest catch point as without some GM interpetation to have spirits as NPCs (and NPCs as being generally unwilling to voluntarily spend edge) a conjurer can run roughshod.

On a related note about the 250 karma/year, one thought about the Barfly issue might be to have that sort of thing help refresh Edge instead of providing actual Karma.
mfb
QUOTE (blakkie)
It takes making a gimped character at 400 BP focused on one narrow field at least 300 karma (and some cash), with exclusion of any other advancement, to hit the top of a field in Active Skills.

i misspoke. reaching the top of one's field is not really the problem. the problem is reaching the point in one's field where the GM has trouble challenging the character within that field--which can be done, i feel, for far less than 300 karma. that's a subject that been discussed to death in other threads, though; there's no point going over it again. if SandS (or anyone else) doesn't agree with that point of view, good for them. if they do agree that it's too easy to reach a game-breaking level of ability in a relatively short amount of time, however, then we've got something to discuss.

how to fix this? i don't have any good ideas. the problem, if one agrees that it exists, lies in the fact that the fixed-TN system used in SR4 doesn't provide sufficient difficulty at the high end--that tasks which should be extremely difficult for any character are not difficult for characters who can build a certain minimum number of dice on the task. you have to either reduce the number of dice a character has available, or increase the number of successes a character needs to achieve. neither of these options are easy to apply as a blanket fix--at least, not one that doesn't break more than it fixes.
kzt
QUOTE (mfb)
if they do agree that it's too easy to reach a game-breaking level of ability in a relatively short amount of time, however, then we've got something to discuss.

Are you including using edge in this?
mfb
if someone thinks that Edge contributes, then yes. it's 3am, and if i have any specific problems with Edge, i can't recall them just now.
Dranem
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)
I would like to add to this thread by saying that what should be done is a group of interested programmers create a MMOG version of SR4. It would have to be a freelance project

There are at least two MMORPG projects out in the works for Shadowrun... one is Shadowrun Online, search for Greypawn, he'll have more info. You could also google it, they have their own website with some info on the game development and a forum to toss around ideas.
The other is a smaller group that's still trying to get it's act together (or at least they were last time I followed the thread they started)

Use your search-fu, you might still be able to find the relevant threads. smile.gif

Returning to the topic at hand... I found Shadowrun MUX's were far and few between, and most of them required a mini-novel just to be accepted into chargen. While I do like character development as any other person, most of the requirements (IE no magic without admin approuval, but you have to go through at least a skeleton of chargen to ask for it... meaning you had to toy around with skills and abilities accordingly whether you knew you were going to get it or not) were not very attractive to someone who just wanted to check it out to see if they wanted to play on that server.
I'm sure most of us here know about Shadowrun Seattle and Shadowrun Detroit - which were the two big ones that I found - actually, asside a few small projects, they were the only ones I found.

As I've toyed around with the idea of creating a MUSH/MUX for my group, I found it wasn't that hard covering the SR4 rules to online play... but then our group was small and still covered mostly run-specific meeting times - with some downtime work between campaigns.
Steak and Spirits
Returning to the topic at hand... I found Shadowrun MUX's were far and few between, and most of them required a mini-novel just to be accepted into chargen. While I do like character development as any other person, most of the requirements (IE no magic without admin approuval, but you have to go through at least a skeleton of chargen to ask for it... meaning you had to toy around with skills and abilities accordingly whether you knew you were going to get it or not)

I agree with much of the image that you're presenting, and believe that it is unfortunate. While this does not directly relate to adjustments to the mechanics of SR4, it does relate to MUSH/MUX policy. And while I'm not certain if this is the correct forum to address that in, I will be the first to say that I support a game that is more accessible to every-day RPG'rs, and very much disapprove of the 'write-a-novel-to-play-this-game' attitude that some sites have utilized in the past. Additionally, quotas for character types have also been proven both ineffective, and cumbersome to MUX/MUSH playerbases, and will not be used, or considered.

But to save a tangent, let me say that I hope this addition to the SR online community will learn from the mistakes of past sites, and expand on the good points, and add new innovations into MUX/MUSH experience, period.

And... back to mechanics:

QUOTE (mfb)
how to fix this? i don't have any good ideas.

That's unfortunate, as good ideas are exactly what I'd like to get my hands on. cool.gif

I'm, for whatever reason, sort of stuck in a rut regarding the cost of attributes giving such a comparative bang-for-your-buck to skills. I'm almost wondering if increasing the multiplier with each raise, might help mitigate that. I respectfully disagree with Blakie, and his summary of Skills vs. Attributes, because it seems to me that building a solid base in attributes first and foremost, is almost ALWAYS the best way to make a character, specialist or generalist. Isn't that, afterall, one of the several reasons why the golden rule of character creation is always spend the full BPs on attributes?

High attribute dice, and low skill dice (at least on the surface) appear to have a much, much, much broader degree of utility, even in a specialized environment, than the other way around. So it's not such of a 'trade off' issue, as it is a 'No-Duh, let me max out my attributes' issue. Which, in an exagerated example, leads to a population of cookie-cutters, rather than individuals.

You understand this is a much bigger problem, when your gaming group does not consist of yourself, and perhaps four other people.
Kairo
Interesting thought. I'd never considered doing a Online Shadowrun Sim Game, but I suppose it is possible. I developed a fairly successful sim based on Final Fantasy Tactics (the old one on Playstation) called Heroes of Ivalice. We currently have 240-ish active players there. I definately think something similar could be applied to Shadowrun, but that would take a LOT of time to develop the systems, set up the RP location boards, etc.
lorechaser
QUOTE (mfb)
i misspoke. reaching the top of one's field is not really the problem. the problem is reaching the point in one's field where the GM has trouble challenging the character within that field--which can be done, i feel, for far less than 300 karma.

100% agreed. You can honestly reach that with 400 bp and perhaps 30 karma to fill in the small gaps.

You won't be effective in every regard. But my current character has earned a sum total of 13 karma. Built on 400 points, I currently roll 20 dice on automatics tests with SMGs, and 18 with Assault Rifles, including firing bursts. That number could be 3-4 higher as well, if I hadn't wanted to spread out to reasonable areas. It is difficult to create a situation where this character cannot reliably shoot something. The reasonable challenges involve things like line of sight (which are often solved by technology like ultrasound) and magic. However, the chacter is a mystic adept, and has high ranks in counterspelling, specifically to counter that. 20 karma to boost logic to allow more focus, and a rank 3 counterspelling focus, and I'll feel fairly confident in surviving most straight up firefights, either against mundane or magical opponents. Spirits will be an issue, but she has a rank 1 weapon focus and 11 dice to roll with "pistol whipping" so she has a reasonable chance against them as well.

So, were I to focus solely on firefights, it would hard to challenge me.

A clever GM will put me in lots of other types of circumstances, and I am at the whimsy of the GM to control me there.

In a wide ranging environment, especially one with many many options, I could easily limit my engagements and pick and choose such that I gain another 100 or so Karma with relative ease, beef up other aspects of the character, and *then* start to explore other bits....

That ended up sounding like a "Hey, my character is sooooo cool" post, but that wasn't the spirit of it at all.

Steak and Spirits
QUOTE (Kairo)
Interesting thought. I'd never considered doing a Online Shadowrun Sim Game, but I suppose it is possible. I developed a fairly successful sim based on Final Fantasy Tactics (the old one on Playstation) called Heroes of Ivalice. We currently have 240-ish active players there. I definately think something similar could be applied to Shadowrun, but that would take a LOT of time to develop the systems, set up the RP location boards, etc.

I'm sorry. I'm not familiar with the terminology there, specifically what an online 'sim' game would be?

That ended up sounding like a "Hey, my character is sooooo cool" post, but that wasn't the spirit of it at all.

No, I don't think that's quite how it came across, and really appreciate the response. I read it as something much closer to 'Here is a archetype that is able to potentially be damaging to your type of game environment, let's discuss it and see if there are solutions'. Which actually comes across as pretty helpful, so thankyou.

But let's take this a little deeper.

Where does the fault lie, that you were able to create a character like that? A lenient GM? Is this just an example of serious min/maxing? If I were to guess, I'd say that you maxed out attributes, skills, and threw some adept dice into bonus dice.

I honestly believe that balanced character +sheets will be the bulk of PC applications. And I hate limiting the types of +sheets that players can apply with. But from time to time, there's some exceptional twinkage that strolls through - That right there would be potentially an example of it.

So. Is your example PC type a result of anything that could be effectively ruled out through policy, or Character Generation Control measures? Or does it actually need adjustments to the core mechanics of the game?

Kairo
It's simply an RPG set up via message boards but with a strategic element placed in. Roleplaying threads are put up representing different locations. Hidden boards are used for each faction and viewable only to the usergroup that links to said faction. Progress is achieved by taking cities or accomplishing storyline plots. Time is kept track of by use of Game Months. It's a fairly simple game design, but takes a lot of staff, effort, and attention to detail (not to mention a large playerbase) in order to make it successful.

Here's a rough example with a Shadowrun spin:

Rules - 4th edition with additions for sim environment
SR HQ - Game Turns, Maps, Corporate and Goverment Proclamations, Rumors, etc.
RP Board - Threads contained could include Seattle RP, Denver RP, Shadowrun Alpha against Novatech, etc. etc.
Aztechnology Recruiting Office - Public board for those who want to join those crazy blood mages
DIMR Recruiting Office - Public board for those who believe in Dunkelzahn's vision
Shadowland Planning Hall - Hidden board for shadowrunners
Ares Planning Hall - Hidden board for Ares corporation players
UCAS Planning Hall - Hidden board for UCAS government players
Winternight Planning Hall - Hidden board for those guys that want to end the world
lorechaser
The dice are from:

Agility 7 (5 purchased, muscle toner 2). Automatics 6, specialized in SMGs. (15). A smartlink (17). Enhanced Articulation (18). Adept power: Improved Combat Ability: Automatics 2 (20).

19 dice can easily be achieved similarly by taking reflex recorder (Automatics). Similarly, a pure adept could purchase Improved Ability 3: Agility and improved combat 3.

So it's a focused build, but not truly a min maxed one.

It requires a high agility, which all gunners have. It requires a 6 skill and a specialization, which is 26 BP. It requires either:

1. Three pieces of ware (Muscle Toner 2, Enhanced Articulation, and reflex recorders) which cost .4 ess/16k, .3ess/40k , and .1 ess/10k. So .8 ess/66k (13 bp)
2. Two adept powers: Improved Combat Ability: Automatics 2 (1.5 pts, or 20 bp), and improved agility 3 (3 points, or 30 bp). So 4.5 pp, or 5 magic, which is 55 bp (Adept + pp)
3. Two pieces of ware (Muscle Toner 2, Enhanced Articulation) for .7 ess and 56k, and One adept power: Improved Combat ability Automatics 2 (1 pp), which costs you 36 bp (56k == 11, Adept == 5, 2 magic points = 20)

So none of them are a truly deep investment.
Steak and Spirits
While it was my understanding that the 'Physical Skills' Bonus provided by Enhanced articulation did not carry over into Firearm/Combat skills in this edition, the point is, none the less, taken.

However, one of the advantages of the MUSH/MUX environment is that 'One-Trick-Ponies' can really suffer. In a tabletop environment, you are involved in a DeFacto team. You always run with them. You'll always, more or less, have much of their abilities at your disposal, to fill your own gaps. However, in a MUSH/MUX, players are generally required to fend for themselves. They won't always be around when team-mates are (Assuming they form a team), nor will they always be on the run with people who are able to fill gaps they may have.

That means failure from over-specialization can really be an option, without clear communication of abilities between the players that find themselves working together.

That said, I am grimacing a little when I think about having characters like those run amuck on our grid. In shadowrun 3rd edition, starting off with a 6 in a skill was pretty solid. But it was hardly the end-all-be-all of expertise. Now it seems like starting the game as the absolute best in a field, with little room for advancement is a possibility. And that changes the very nature of the game.
lorechaser
Enhanced Articulation is a bit iffy. But as you said, that's 1 die.

The issue is, that character isn't necessarily a one trick pony. The lower cost to get 18 dice in a combat skill is 13 for ware, leaving 37 points for other gear (such as wired reflexes or synpatic boosters, and various runner supplies like guns, armor, flash-paks, etc). Agility 5 is 50 points, unless you're a troll. Automatics (AR) 6 is 26 points.

So you're looking at 89 points, including stats, skills and gear.

That's less than one quarter of starting BP.

Assuming another 150 points for attributes, that's 239. Spend 10 on buying 50k nuyen worth of shadowrun gear, and you still are only at 249. That's 150 points to spend on contacts and skills. 10 points of contacts is reasonable, so 140 points of skills. Even if you buy another 100k worth of ware and vehicles, that's 120 points of skills, or 30 skill points. That's 7 skills at 4. Conservatively, dodge and perception take up two, leaving you 5 skills at rank 4 to choose from. Not too bad.

Not incredibly well rounded, but not nearly incompetent beyond their field.

However, there is a greater issue, as you point out. You won't have a team. You won't have friends. So you may need to buy 4 skill groups and 20 points of contacts just to make it on your own....
Steak and Spirits
However, there is a greater issue, as you point out. You won't have a team. You won't have friends. So you may need to buy 4 skill groups and 20 points of contacts just to make it on your own....

It's not always that Detrimental. I can recall only one, of the last 8 years worth of Shadowrun PCs in this environment that, actually had a steady team to work with. (Well, perhaps two, if you count the days when there was actually significant Gang PC support on SR: Seattle.)

But yes, it certainly can factor into things. Additionally, another downside is the whole: "Oh, you shoot guns? Yes, I shoot guns too. Big deal." aspect of this environment. That is to say, combat skills are usually the first things that people will find overlapping between each other. So, if you aren't bringing something unique to a run, you may be less likely to find your skills in a high degree of demand.

I say may, because, of course, this isn't always the case, and depends on the run in general.

So.

We've identified a problem. That problem seems to be as follows: It is possible to start right out the gate with PCs that the GM finds difficult to challenge.

While, yes, it is the GMs responsibility to challenge PCs, and obviously some of the weight of a solution will fall on the GMs to do so, I'd like to see the system enacted in a manner that will help shoulder some of that burden. What solutions can you (And anyone else) offer to help mitigate that?

Fortune
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Oct 19 2006, 06:25 AM)
Enhanced Articulation is a bit iffy.  But as you said, that's 1 die.

Not really iffy at all. EA affects Physical Skills linked to a Physical Attribute. No Combat Skills fall into that category .. except for Dodge.
Dissonance
A similar problem with hyperspecialization ended up poking its head where I played. Sure, there were gun shooters and twenty dice punchers and so on.

But what really stood out the most to me were the Doctors and Enchanters. Sure, they didn't get the most runs, but they didn't have to. They just could install cyberware or make fetishes for a fraction of the cost and end up getting paid in noms.
Steak and Spirits
Personally, I love having Doctors and Enchanters played as PCs. They provide Utility, feed the PC economy, provide services to PCs, and facilitate Roleplay that does not require Game Master initiative.

Do they get +nominations for their RP? I sure hope so, considering everything they offer. Have I seen some Cyber/Ripper-Docs turn shadowrunner? Sure. Is that really that bad? Enh. I'm really not convinced, yet.
Dissonance
The problem with having doctor and enchanter PCs is that they severely undercut the prices of pretty much any other NPC doctor or enchanter. And, basically, the game can pretty much go to their mercy if they decide to just bugger off for a while or retire or whatnot, not to mention that some of them will outright refuse to work on you for trivial reasons.

Admittedly, this is more of a problem in SR3 than in SR4, in which the cyberware installation rules in 3 ended up with nonsense like six-figure installation plans and chances of horribly getting screwed up in the process.
Steak and Spirits
Yeah, I hear you. Don't confuse my appreciation for what Doc/Enchanters offer the grid as any advocacy for removing the existing NPC service infrastructure, though.

PC vendors aren't, and should never be, the only service providers in a city.

And this, of course, extends to PC fixers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012