Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dunkie's Dragon Remains
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Large Mike

So, I was wandering AH's site and came across two bits of info that seem to connect...

The first is from AHs description of All-Wing

Also against tradition, her remains were not reduced to ash by dragonsbreath. Rather, her body was scattered...

This seems to set a precedent towards dragon funeral rites (sort of).

This next quote is from the will.

To the party who finds the bones of the dragon skeleton for which I possess the head, I offer two options. You may keep the bones, or turn them over to the Draco Foundation for a reward. All discoveries must be independently verified as dragon bones, such identification to be made by any living dragon. The Draco Foundation will assemble all pieces of the skeleton it receives and display the result in the Smithsonian Institution for the edification of the general public. My admittedly incomplete research indicates the following coordinates as likely locations for dragon bones: Latitude 41°, Longitude 121°; Latitude 41° 50n, Longitude 87° 45w; Latitude 47° 21n, Longitude 122° 12w; Latitude 19° 24n, Longitude 99° 9w; Latitude 65°, Longitude 130°; Latitude 39° 44n, Longitude 104° 59w

So, we have an undestroyed and scattered dragon body, that any dragon would be able to identify.

My thoughts are that if your GM sends you after these, you have more leverage in negotiations.

Your thoughts?
Street Wyze
I think it would be pretty sweet to build a series of runs out of this.
Large Mike

Perhaps I should have kept this one to myself...
Wonazer
I looked up the coordinates and they are scattered all over Eastern Asia. Sounds like a heck of a campaign.
Synner
The coordinates are actually spread out across Western North Am (with one notable exception), I know a lot of people read them wrong because the notation is unusual. Originally I thought I had it wrong but I tracked them down to a couple hundred meters and the spots are just make too much sense in an SR context to be wrong. When the Annotated Will goes up people are in for a whole lot of surprises.
Kanada Ten
Synner, did you go to school to learn Teaser-Fu like that?
Synner
Sheeesh, I was actually trying to be helpful. From what I've seen a lot of people got the coordinates wrong including Ancient (yes, and now the world is going to end). I don't mean to be mean but I had a hell of a job working out the information myself and I'm a firm believer in making people sweat for the juicy info. Finally I'm not yet absolutely sure I got it right.

Regardless, here's a hard one for free:
Latitude 47° 21n, Longitude 122° 12w, according to my research, is in or around Lake Clark in the Kent neighborhood of Renton (Seattle Metroplex).
Large Mike

Synner, I will kill if you can tell me the locations. Privately, please, as my players read the boards, and I *really* want to use this once they get enough Karma. Please? I'll give you a cookie. And sexual favors. And so on.
Seville
Part of the problem is that except for the Prime Meridian (0 degrees longitude), 180 longitude (international date line) and the equator, you need to annotate N/S and E/W for every cooridinate. So when there isn't one given, you have two possible locations, when two are missing, you have four.

Anybody got a good website to look these up on?
Synner
Okay, Kanada since you've gone to all that work (btw- thanks for cross-checking):

Latitude 19° 24n, Longitude 99° 9w – Technoctitlan, Aztlan
Latitude 65°, Longitude 130° - the Mackenzie River just as it crosses into the TransPolar Aleut nation.

Seville - Actually in the English system no notation means E or N respectively as defaults.
XON2000
What site is this?
Kanada Ten
What site is which?

Terraserver is one of Microsofts little project.

The annotated will should show up on the The Official Site at some point.

Ancient History's site of annotated everything.

I have no idea where Synner found his stuff, but thanks Synner.

And you are on Dumpshock currently. wink.gif
Seville
smile.gif Thanks, I did not know that.
John Campbell
I whipped up some maps using xplanet last time this topic came up. Lemme see if I can remember where I put them...

Assuming that they're all N/W coordinates... #5 is the only one I can't place in relation to anything significant in Shadowrun. Using S or E where they're not specified will put #3 and #5 either in the southern ocean or the middle of nowhere in Siberia.
Ancient History
I eagerly await the Annotated Will. The co-ordinates have been a matter of much debate, though I'm pleased that they are, as I suspected, all mostly in and around North America.

As for the skeleton itself, it might be. It doesn't specifically mention a great dragon...but, i'll put it in the November Update witht he DotSW stuff (6 months are up!)
XON2000
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
What site is which?

Terraserver is one of Microsofts little project.

The annotated will should show up on the The Official Site at some point.

Ancient History's site of annotated everything.

And you are on Dumpshock currently. wink.gif

I guess my question was a bit vague. wobble.gif It was the Ancient History site that I was wondering about. Thanks!

The link for the "Official Site" didn't work for me. I also tried typing it as www.srrpg.com, but that didn't work either. Are you talking about the official SR site (www.shadowrunrpg.com)?

X
Kanada Ten
Fixed, and WWW.SRRPG.COM should work.
Synner
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Oct 23 2003, 01:14 AM)

I found it the old-fashioned way while working on the Annotated Will. A particularly detailed Atlas and a couple of city maps off the net and my old Geography lessons.

John Campbell - Standard english default cartographic notations are East first, North second (and West only when so noted). A good mnemonic when reading Latitude/Longitude on a grid is "in the house (left to right) up the stairs (bottom to top)". As far as I can see you've got them all right on your map.
Game2BHappy
QUOTE (Synner)
I found it the old-fashioned way...

ouch. smile.gif

Try this.

BTW, for anyone looking to flesh out the Siberia one, it looks like it is in the Verkhoyansk Mountains, just east of the Lena River straight north of the city of Yakutsk in the Yakutia Province. Add some flavor with old mining camps and gulag prisons.
Synner
QUOTE (Game2BHappy @ Oct 23 2003, 03:26 PM)
ouch.
QUOTE (Synner @ Oct 23 2003, 04:27 AM)
I found it the old-fashioned way...

The reason I used the old-fashioned way is because a lot of the web systems don't allow for inverting the Latitude (West instead of the default East) which this exercise requires.

What Siberian site btw? Kanada's refs match mine and the six I got were:

Latitude 47° 21n, Longitude 122° 12w - Renton, Seattle Metroplex
Latitude 41°, Longitude 121° - Northern Cresent, CFS/Tir
Latitude 41° 50n, Longitude 87° 45w - Chicago, UCAS
Latitude 39° 44n, Longitude 104° 59w Denver, FRFZ
Latitude 19° 24n, Longitude 99° 9w – Technoctitlan, Aztlan
Latitude 65°, Longitude 130° - Mackenzie River, TransPolar Aleut nation.
Game2BHappy
QUOTE (Synner)
The reason I used the old-fashioned way is because a lot of the web systems don't allow for inverting the Latitude (West instead of the default East) which this exercise requires.

What Siberian site btw?

I'll pre-apologize since its a bit of a nitpick, but your interpretation of a Latitude and Longitude without N,S,W, or E is not the only one.

Without directional notation, North and East are positive and South and West are negative.... which would place #5 in Siberia.

This is the same method you can use to enter the coordinates into the mapquest lookup.

Of course, this could be used to mislead the characters into a search of one area only to have it be sitting in the other.
spotlite
Okay, a new way to look at it - what about those remains on mars? It did create a rift, and mars has atmosphere, and possibly enough organic matter (dead or otherwise) to create a manasphere.

Just a thought to throw in the mix...
EVLTIM
QUOTE (spotlite)
Okay, a new way to look at it - what about those remains on mars? It did create a rift, and mars has atmosphere, and possibly enough organic matter (dead or otherwise) to create a manasphere.

Just a thought to throw in the mix...

I thought those pics where fake , or was that the one real one in the set ?
spotlite
must've missed where that was revealed. Can you tell me where to look? message me if its not safe for 'public' consumption (i.e. pesky players!)
TinkerGnome
Or, you know, you could
[ Spoiler ]
tag an answer.
Kurukami
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Game2BHappy @ Oct 23 2003, 03:26 PM)

Latitude 41°, Longitude 121° - Northern Cresent, CFS/Tir

How do you figure that? If the default with no notation is latitude north and longitude east, the coordinates would drop one about 15 miles from Jinzhou, China.

Link.
Synner
As I said, I did it the old fashioned way with an Atlas and a ruler but Kanada's Terraserver link seems to be in agreement with me, and the same system bore other well-known SR locations.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Kurukami)
How do you figure that? If the default with no notation is latitude north and longitude east, the coordinates would drop one about 15 miles from Jinzhou, China.

Is there any Shadowrun significance to that location? Reading that site (Site 1) as N/W puts it in Hestaby's back yard...

And I was mistaken earlier... it's Site 1 and 5 that aren't specified, not 3 and 5 as I said earlier. 3 is definitely in Seattle. 5 appears to be in the middle of nowhere any way you figure it... either Siberian or Canadian tundra, or the Indian or Pacific Ocean.

Northern hemisphere with possible sites in both east and west marked
Abstruse
Missions spoilers, players and those who don't want them spoiled stay away.

[ Spoiler ]

The Abstruse One
FlakJacket
[ Spoiler ]
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Holy moses!
They better explain those plotlines up at some point, or I'm going to moan and bitch about it.
Ancient History
What plotlines?
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Whatever used to be on Mars.
Ancient History
Ah. Well, considering we're moving away from the BIG metaplot lines, and it's highly unlikely runners'll go to Mars in the foreseeable future, that ain't likely to happen.

Although, I will say that there is the whole concept of the space ark and dragons coming from the stars mythos...but, let's go there when we get better evidence, hmm?

Right now, we know:
a)there were fairly advanced (evolution-wise) critters on Mars.
b)something built pyramids there.

's about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012