Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noob Mage v. Great Dragon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Glayvin34
This was inspired by the Mages are overpowered thread. The guy who plays a mage in my team just posited the following:
QUOTE (LPHK)
A starting mage has a good chance of taking out a great wyrm in one swift stroke.
-15 Initiative
-19 Spellcasting dice (not min/maxed...you could get up to 25+ for a starting character with not too much trouble)
Over cast stunball for a base damage of 12 + net hits.
...and takes out allies of the Dragon in a 45+ meter around the dragon.

Add a second starting mage and that Great Wyrm is BBQ
Add a third starting mage...

One or two starting characters can take out the butchest thing in the game? Tell me thats not broken.

Sure, a Great Dragon has 10 counterspelling dice, but the Mage only needs one hit to get the stunball off, and the GD has around 14 stun damage boxes. So two beginning Mages seem to be about enough to smoke him... is this right?
Eryk the Red
Maybe, but chances are the dragon's a better mage, and he has prepared a number of magical (and non-magical) defenses for just this occasion. Remember that the dragon can stunbolt the mage just as easily.
deek
Are you assuming the two are just standing there in a parking lot face to face? LOS, visibility modifiers, etc, all come into play...and I doubt dragons are going to be relying solely on counterspelling dice...sustained spells...quickened spells...foci...

Just doesn't seem like this "perfect" environment will be common in a game...
lorechaser
A starting Samurai has a good chance of taking out a great wyrm in one swift stroke.
-15 Initiative
-19 Automatics dice (not min/maxed...you could get up to 25+ for a starting character with not too much trouble)
Ex-Ex Ammo + Long Narrow burst for a base damage of 12 + net hits.

Sure, a Great Dragon has 10 Armor dice, but the Samurai only needs one hit to get the shot off, and the GD has around 14 physical damage boxes. So two beginning Samurai with two shots per pass seem to be about enough to smoke him... is this right?

If you assume the Dragon is going to sit there and take the shot, sure, he's toast.
Mal-2
I don't see where you're getting those numbers. The highest I can see a starting mage getting for Spellcasting is: Sorcery 7 + Magic 6 + Combat Spell Focus 3 + Mentor Spirit 2 = 18 dice. I'm not sure if you count that as min/maxed, but it certainly seems maxed to me.

He overcasts Stunball at Force 12, generating (on average) 6 hits. The "standard" Great Western Dragon has Willpower 13, Counterspelling 10, giving him 23 dice to resist with. On average the dragon gets 7 hits and completely resists the spell. The wyrm also has 6 Edge and lots of weird stuff he can do with it above and beyond the normal things you can do with edge (see the unique Twist Fate power of Great Dragons).
deek
Yeah, I was thinking that anything above 12 spellcasting dice is on the path of min/maxing...especially for a starting character...
fistandantilus4.0
It should never be anywhere near that easy. Just tossing in things like foci, quickened spells, anchored spells, shielding, reflecting, and spirits would be more than enough. Dragons should be much more than just stats.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (lorechaser)
A starting Samurai has a good chance of taking out a great wyrm in one swift stroke.
-15 Initiative
-19 Automatics dice (not min/maxed...you could get up to 25+ for a starting character with not too much trouble)
Ex-Ex Ammo + Long Narrow burst for a base damage of 12 + net hits.

Sure, a Great Dragon has 10 Armor dice, but the Samurai only needs one hit to get the shot off, and the GD has around 14 physical damage boxes.  So two beginning Samurai with two shots per pass seem to be about enough to smoke him... is this right?

If you assume the Dragon is going to sit there and take the shot, sure, he's toast.

But the GD has Armor plus body to resist a physical attack, that's over thirty dice (body 25 + Armor 12). Compared to Willpower plus Counterspell, it's not the same.

QUOTE (Mal-2)
I don't see where you're getting those numbers. The highest I can see a starting mage getting for Spellcasting is: Sorcery 7 + Magic 6 + Combat Spell Focus 3 + Mentor Spirit 2 = 18 dice. I'm not sure if you count that as min/maxed, but it certainly seems maxed to me.

Plus a specialty, and he's got some other shit, I'll have to ask him.
QUOTE (Mal-2)
He overcasts Stunball at Force 12, generating (on average) 6 hits. The "standard" Great Western Dragon has Willpower 13, Counterspelling 10, giving him 23 dice to resist with. On average the dragon gets 7 hits and completely resists the spell. The wyrm also has 6 Edge and lots of weird stuff he can do with it above and beyond the normal things you can do with edge (see the unique Twist Fate power of Great Dragons).

Yeah, one noob mage would just hurt the GD, I'm saying two noob mages would smoke him like a loosie.

Personally, I'd like to completely debunk this situation he's suggested. But the fact remains that half-team of Mage runners can win intiative and kill a Great Dragon in one turn...
lorechaser
QUOTE (Mal-2)

Spellcasting 6, magic 6. Specialization in combat spells. Power focus 3. Mentor spirit.

That's 19 dice.

That's a pretty strong focus on powerful spells, though.

I don't see how you would get a mage up to 25 starting easily, or really at all.

If you're including Edge, then sure.

Now getting a sammy up to 19 is easy. 25 is hard, but doable.
Mal-2
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
Yeah, one noob mage would just hurt the GD, I'm saying two noob mages would smoke him like a loosie.

As far as I can tell, 19 dice versus 23 dice still leaves the dragon unscathed on average. It's true that if the mage gets lucky on his spellcasting and the dragon unlucky on his resistance things could turn out differently. That's why the dragon has a bunch of Edge.

Also, some of those same toys the mage is using to boost his spellcasting pool can also be used by the dragon. I can't imagine a great wyrm without a power focus (which I think can be added to counterspelling tests), and at least some level of initiation, possibly including Shielding, Absorption, and/or Reflecting metamagic techniques.
Steak and Spirits
Spellcasting 6, magic 6. Specialization in combat spells. Power focus 3. Mentor spirit.

That's 19 dice.

That's a pretty strong focus on powerful spells, though.

I don't see how you would get a mage up to 25 starting easily, or really at all.

Aid Sorcerry, Force 6 Spirit. 25 right there.
FrankTrollman

Better make that a Force 3 Combat Spellcasting focus. A Force 3 Power Focus is availability 15 and outside the grasp of a starting character.

In any case, you could throw in Edge. Hell, you could overcast and summon a Force 12 Spirit of Man and throw it in to cast a spell at Force 24 with a dicepool of 24. You could really go to town.

And Twist Fate doesn't actually work, since it requires te use of actions and can't be aborted to. As per the riles, the only use for Twist Fate is offensively to counter the point of Edge someone spends to try to save their punk ass from a dragon's attacks.

But Counterspelling foci do! So does magical guard from bound spirits. And Shielding dice apply. And the Dragon can also spend Edge.

So even if you've got your 25 die pool with the rule of 6, you're looking at an average of 10 hits. The great dragon is looking at a dice pool of about 30 and can reroll failures. So you don't do crap to him even if you get the jump on the wyrm.

Now, a sniper rifle with ExEx is a totally different ballgame. A decent dicepool fired from a long distance and total concealment means that the Dragon doesn't even get a defense pool. Suddenly he just has to resist the damage, and even with his 20 points of hardened armor (15 after AP), he just isn't going to soak it all. A Street Sam or two with an uninterupted line of fire can call a shot right in the eye and just plain kill Lofwyr. In that respect, he's just like any other public figure. Snipers could totally kill him.

That they haven't yet is mostly testament to the fact that he's really careful.

-Frank
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Mal-2)
As far as I can tell, 19 dice versus 23 dice still leaves the dragon unscathed on average.  It's true that if the mage gets lucky on his spellcasting and the dragon unlucky on his resistance things could turn out differently.  That's why the dragon has a bunch of Edge.

Also, some of those same toys the mage is using to boost his spellcasting pool can also be used by the dragon.  I can't imagine a great wyrm without a power focus (which I think can be added to counterspelling tests), and at least some level of initiation, possibly including Shielding, Absorption, and/or Reflecting metamagic techniques.

Bound spirits can add their force to the spellcasting roll, that inflates the dice pool even more. I just didn't think that any beginning characters could hope to touch a GD, and there's a definte chance for the GD to lose given this situation.
James McMurray
It is a smart idea for any great dragon to be careful every momment of every day. He's known that longer than any starting mage has been alive, and has enemies that may even be older than he is. The great dragon that stands across a football field ready to play gunslinger games with mages is a great dragon that has suffered severe brain damage and is likely to be dead soon anyway at the hands of beings far scarier than your mage.
Steak and Spirits
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

Don't worry. We're working on it.
deek
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
QUOTE (Mal-2)
As far as I can tell, 19 dice versus 23 dice still leaves the dragon unscathed on average.  It's true that if the mage gets lucky on his spellcasting and the dragon unlucky on his resistance things could turn out differently.  That's why the dragon has a bunch of Edge.

Also, some of those same toys the mage is using to boost his spellcasting pool can also be used by the dragon.  I can't imagine a great wyrm without a power focus (which I think can be added to counterspelling tests), and at least some level of initiation, possibly including Shielding, Absorption, and/or Reflecting metamagic techniques.

Bound spirits can add their force to the spellcasting roll, that inflates the dice pool even more. I just didn't think that any beginning characters could hope to touch a GD, and there's a definte chance for the GD to lose given this situation.

Well, and I think that is the trick...getting to that specific situation when it just comes down to who's got the biggest dice pool. I know what you are trying to do, but the reality of it is that you won't be facing off with a GD in a prime situation...but, I suppose if you do have the time to get all your preparation in before meeting, even a noob could take out a poorly readied GD.
knasser

Personally, I see this as one of the nice things about Shadowrun. Planning and dedication count for a lot more than some super-high stats. It lends the game such a different feel to games like D&D.

That said, your dragon is going to be about Log 7, so if either party is likely to have planned further ahead, it ain't going to be the PC. My suggestion is to take the player at his word and send him against a standard western dragon. If the team even manage to get face to face with the beast, behind his layers of contacts, schemes and stooges, they'll be doing well. Let alone catching it without its bodyguard. If Mr. Corp Exec has them, then why shouldn't a dragon?
Butterblume
My starting social/stealth adept can easily destroy an aircraft carrier. He just need to swim up to the carrier and use his subtactical nuclear warhead.
[/irony]
DireRadiant
I have a BFG. You don't. Please stand still over there while I point it at you and pull the trigger.

Hey wait why are you running away?
blakkie
QUOTE (deek @ Oct 19 2006, 11:53 AM)
Are you assuming the two are just standing there in a parking lot face to face?  LOS, visibility modifiers, etc, all come into play...and I doubt dragons are going to be relying solely on counterspelling dice...sustained spells...quickened spells...foci...

Just doesn't seem like this "perfect" environment will be common in a game...

I think that is the key to the whole of it. If someone got the drop on a GD they have already pulled off the miracle.

I actually like GD being somewhat vulnerable if you get past their legions and planning and treachery. Not some freaking Tarsque-like monolith that you need a flock of Stirges to bring down. cyber.gif

But then I've never had a dragon make a personal appearance in a game, and I never want my PC to meet one, nor do I expect to ever GM a game where the player's characters will meet one.

P.S. What selfrespecting plotdevice GD, intended as an unkillable NPC, isn't going to be Initiated a bazillion times over with some Metamagic to boost Counterspell dice pool and have some focus on his body that gives him an extra fistfull of Counterspelling dice for all spell catagories?
James McMurray
QUOTE (blakkie)
P.S. What selfrespecting plotdevice GD, intended as an unkillable NPC, isn't going to be Initiated a bazillion times over with some Metamagic to boost Counterspell dice pool and have some focus on his body that gives him an extra fistfull of Counterspelling dice for all spell catagories?

The one that got smart and took the Harlequin route. That is, "to be an unkillable plot device you can't have stats at all."
Lagomorph
QUOTE (blakkie)
But then I've never had a dragon make a personal appearance in a game, and I never want my PC to meet one, nor do I expect to ever GM a game where the player's characters will meet one.

Wow, now that I think about it one of my characters has met 3 of them. Hestaby, Ghostwalker, and Hualpa. Thats insane, my gm is insane.
toturi
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 19 2006, 10:45 PM)

Wow, now that I think about it one of my characters has met 3 of them. Hestaby, Ghostwalker, and Hualpa. Thats insane, my gm is insane.

Not quite. If he's running a SOTF-like campaign, I can see you meeting much more than those 3.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Lagomorph)

...a few of my characters also ended up meeting GDs, & quickly retired afterwards.

Tomoe: Lofie, Hestaby and some GD from Hong Kong (forget the name)
Leela: Rhonabwry
Desert: Hestaby
Lana Lane: Rhonabwry, Hestaby, and a Sea Dragon (again, the name escapes me)

Not a good pattern here.
blakkie
QUOTE (toturi @ Oct 19 2006, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Oct 20 2006, 08:42 AM)

Not quite. If he's running a SOTF-like campaign, I can see you meeting much more than those 3.

Conclusion; SOTF is insane? wink.gif
Draconis
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Oct 19 2006, 01:38 PM)

Don't worry. We're working on it.

Hey leave the dragons alone monkeyboy, especially with a name like Steak. wink.gif
Jack Kain
Also don't forget this isn't D&D a starting Shadowrunner isn't a green noob of the world. A noob runner is already a deadly and highly skilled foe. Among the elite.
Draconis
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Oct 20 2006, 05:02 AM)
Also don't forget this isn't D&D a starting Shadowrunner isn't a green noob of the world. A noob runner is already a deadly and highly skilled foe. Among the elite.

Uh no offense but your definition of runner and mine must be different, cause any 16 year old punk with a gun who does shadowruns could be classed as shadowrunner. We're not talking special forces here, especially at 400 BP. Oh and not every newbie shadowrunner runs because they want to or even know which end of the gun to point.
Glyph
Runners are more "street level" in SR4, but they are still professional criminals who can potentially be pretty damn tough at char-gen. In fact, they can start out closer to being the "best" because of the hard caps. The only thing separating them from the Tir Ghosts or Red Samurai is breadth of skill.

Still, you have a point, too. They are only potentially elite operatives at char-gen. With an open build system, you can create newbies, or people with less than an optimal mix of skills for running the shadows.

Strictly by the book, street punks are about 300 build points, and high-powered elite operatives are 500 points, so "default" runners are somewhere in between. They are generally people who have been doing this for awhile, but haven't broken into the upper echelons of their profession yet.
Draconis
QUOTE (Glyph)
Runners are more "street level" in SR4, but they are still professional criminals who can potentially be pretty damn tough at char-gen. In fact, they can start out closer to being the "best" because of the hard caps. The only thing separating them from the Tir Ghosts or Red Samurai is breadth of skill.

Still, you have a point, too. They are only potentially elite operatives at char-gen. With an open build system, you can create newbies, or people with less than an optimal mix of skills for running the shadows.

Strictly by the book, street punks are about 300 build points, and high-powered elite operatives are 500 points, so "default" runners are somewhere in between. They are generally people who have been doing this for awhile, but haven't broken into the upper echelons of their profession yet.

Criminals yes, professional yes or no. Depends entirely on the character. I could have 500 points of really goofy skills.

Hard caps blow, we actually don't play with em. But that's just us.

You know I'm always impressed more by how well non elite characters manage than the
cyberninjas. Here's a freebie off the top of my head....

Juan Guapo
Stuffershack worker by day, shadowrunner by night.
Went to technical school but no corp will employ him even after repeated attempts to get a good job. Runs the shadows for extra income to help his ailing grandmother out and pay for the private school his two kids go to. Started by making deliveries for a 'friend' of his brother. Did his first B&E job last week and fired the gun he bought at a pawnshop for the first time. Scared he might be in over his head and might actually kill someone.

400 points sure, 500 even if you're feeling generous. Elite, not a chance.
But guess what? You'll almost never see realistic characters instead you see testosterone driven cybermonkeys with names like Max Payne with no motives or flaws besides "I like to set stuff on fire" and "I occasionally run out of ammo".

Blah ok now i'm ranting but I hate how everyone just assumes Shadowrunners are all 733t3 haX0rs or something. Nothing personal, I mean I know what age range the game generally draws.
lorechaser
Wow.

I had several different responses to this thread, and deleted them all.

I'll simply go with "I can see the roleplaying fun in occasionally running someone who's way out of their depth, but if your entire team is full of people that are 400 points, but ineffective at running, it could be difficult."
knasser
QUOTE (Draconis)
Juan Guapo
Went to technical school but no corp will employ him even after repeated attempts to get a good job. Runs the shadows for extra income to help his ailing grandmother out and pay for the private school his two kids go to. Started by making deliveries for a 'friend' of his brother. Did his first B&E job last week and fired the gun he bought at a pawnshop for the first time. Scared he might be in over his head and might actually kill someone.

That's a very cool character idea. Mind if I... *yoink*... thanks. wink.gif
Steak and Spirits
Blah ok now i'm ranting but I hate how everyone just assumes Shadowrunners are all 733t3 haX0rs or something. Nothing personal, I mean I know what age range the game generally draws.

They are. Which is why we have shadowrunners and posers.

Now. Back to plotting the ultimate destruction of Lofwyr and all that he stands for.
Cheen
Dudes... this is ridiculous. The dragon has a 24init and 6edge. How is the mage winning? I'll be dragon, you be mage. Turn 1: 1edge to go first - I go first as my 24init beats you. ... Influence 13chr+12mag+1edge to reroll failures that's 18hits vs your willpower. Influence: Check and see how many cavities I have.
Draconis
QUOTE (lorechaser)
Wow.

I had several different responses to this thread, and deleted them all.

I'll simply go with "I can see the roleplaying fun in occasionally running someone who's way out of their depth, but if your entire team is full of people that are 400 points, but ineffective at running, it could be difficult."

Hrmmm strangely I agree. I didn't say everyone had to be from the movie Office Space even though that would be damn amusing, the casulties would be enormous. Might work as a one shot.
Even I can get nutty sometimes. wobble.gif I usually have to take a step back and remember this isn't a novel I'm writing and I do have to play longer than 300 pages. wink.gif

Ok hmmm let me cut to the barest. I guess my take home message is:

Not everyone is special forces.

Think of your characters flaws. Real people have them, 3 dimensional characters have them.

You better have a damn good reason to be a freelance criminal.

I'll shut up now I think i'm getting incoherent and my wife thinks I need to be muzzled I'm scaring the dumpshock people.
biggrin.gif

Steak and Spirits
Think of your characters flaws. Real people have them, 3 dimensional characters have them.

Sure. For instance, one major character flaw I keep find popping up is the indecision of what to do with all these $#@!ing bodies...
Draconis
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Oct 20 2006, 02:25 AM)
Juan Guapo 
Went to technical school but no corp will employ him even after repeated attempts to get a good job. Runs the shadows for extra income to help his ailing grandmother out and pay for the private school his two kids go to.  Started by making deliveries for a 'friend' of his brother. Did his first B&E job last week and fired the gun he bought at a pawnshop for the first time. Scared he might be in over his head and might actually kill someone.     

That's a very cool character idea. Mind if I... *yoink*... thanks. wink.gif

Aw thanks, be my guest. smile.gif I have a million.

Draconis
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits @ Oct 20 2006, 04:04 PM)

Sure. For instance, one major character flaw I keep find popping up is the indecision of what to do with all these $#@!ing bodies...

Heh Ignite if you're a mage, or a bathtub and a really strong base if you're a sam. I.E. The Big Hit.
Thank you come again.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Cheen)
Dudes... this is ridiculous. The dragon has a 24init and 6edge. How is the mage winning? I'll be dragon, you be mage. Turn 1: 1edge to go first - I go first as my 24init beats you. ... Influence 13chr+12mag+1edge to reroll failures that's 18hits vs your willpower. Influence: Check and see how many cavities I have.

The question was really whether or not a small group of noob mages can take out a GD, and the answer seems to be a fatty NO.
In retrospect and thinking about the 2nd and 3rd edition flavor text that I've read, I think everyone agrees that nobody gets to prepare for their meeting with a GD, getting all their spirits in line and setting their foci properly. It just happens.
Bull
Hrmm, I haven;t really looked at or played with dragons in 4th ed (After unintentionally running Mecurial, Dragonhunt, and a homebrew run that involved a dragon all back to back to back a few years ago, my group threatened to go on strike if I used any more dragons, so I've purposefully avoided them ever since.).

1) Dragons have powers not in the book. The GM is free to make shit up smile.gif

2) "Named" Great Dragons, espically Hestaby, Lofwyr, etc all have much, much higher skills and stats than the "default" GD stats in the book.

3) Didn't some great dragons have some kind of spirit armor, or astral armor, or some such at one point, which was basically hardened astral armor? Dunno if that made the transition to 4th ed or not. Hell, I'm not even entirely certain off hand if that ever made it into any of the books... I remember it from some playtest or another. There was a discussion at the time about astral armor allowing Dragons to fly in space, for a limited amount of time, with enough of the armor (as it'd protect their astral form from the effects of the Void). Or something. Maybe I was just hitting the Freelacner Crack a bit too hard that day.

4) GD's will always be three or more steps ahead of a runner, at all times.

5) IF, by some miracle, a newbie twinked out mage manages to catch a dragon sleeping, unguarded, unwarded, unshielded, etc etc etc... Well, yeah, he should have an outside shot at cacking the dragon smile.gif

Bull
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Bull)
5) IF, by some miracle, a newbie twinked out mage manages to catch a dragon sleeping, unguarded, unwarded, unshielded, etc etc etc... Well, yeah, he should have an outside shot at cacking the dragon smile.gif

And if he doesn't smoke the Dragon on the first shot...
dead.gif
FrankTrollman
3) Didn't some great dragons have some kind of spirit armor, or astral armor, or some such at one point, which was basically hardened astral armor?

Great Dragons have 20 points of hardened armor and 20 points of hardened mystic armor. That means that astral attacks can pretty much fuck off.

But a Manabolt, while it has been established to be rather underwhelming in its chances of hurting a GD at all, will bypass Mystic Armor if you fire it off on the physical plane.

Still, you are much better off with an APDS round out of a sniper rifle and a called shot from long range.

-Frank
Butterblume
QUOTE (Bull)
4)  GD's will always be three or more steps ahead of a runner, at all times.

5)  IF, by some miracle, a newbie twinked out mage manages to catch a dragon sleeping, unguarded, unwarded, unshielded, etc etc etc...  Well, yeah, he should have an outside shot at cacking the dragon smile.gif

What Bull said.

I have never done it, but I'm thinking dragonhunt for my players sometimes in the future, campaign-style. Of course not a named GD wink.gif.

I lived for a few years in eyeshot of the place where Siegfried reputedly killed the dragon Fafnir... just wanting to share that tidbit of information biggrin.gif. Hey, that story even has dwarfs in it nyahnyah.gif.
Steak and Spirits
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Still, you are much better off with an APDS round out of a sniper rifle and a called shot from long range.

-Frank

I'm not even too sure about that. I think if you're going to go dragon hunting, your best bet would be to pack a few nuclear devices in your knapsack.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
This was inspired by the Mages are overpowered thread. The guy who plays a mage in my team just posited the following:
QUOTE (LPHK)
A starting mage has a good chance of taking out a great wyrm in one swift stroke.
-15 Initiative
-19 Spellcasting dice (not min/maxed...you could get up to 25+ for a starting character with not too much trouble)
Over cast stunball for a base damage of 12 + net hits.
...and takes out allies of the Dragon in a 45+ meter around the dragon.

Add a second starting mage and that Great Wyrm is BBQ
Add a third starting mage...

One or two starting characters can take out the butchest thing in the game? Tell me thats not broken.

Sure, a Great Dragon has 10 counterspelling dice, but the Mage only needs one hit to get the stunball off, and the GD has around 14 stun damage boxes. So two beginning Mages seem to be about enough to smoke him... is this right?

So what? My starting sammy, built with 300 bps, can kill Damien Knight in 1 hit. He walks up to him, and shoots him in the head. I win.

This is of course to illustrate that the diffulty with killing anything or anyone does not lie in stat vs stat. It lies in getting the opportunity to strike at the target.

You will likely never get that opportunity with a GD.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Backgammon)
So what? My starting sammy, built with 300 bps, can kill Damien Knight in 1 hit. He walks up to him, and shoots him in the head. I win.

This is of course to illustrate that the diffulty with killing anything or anyone does not lie in stat vs stat. It lies in getting the opportunity to strike at the target.

You will likely never get that opportunity with a GD.

Yeah, the way I explained to LP (the mage in my game) is that the stats in the critters section are only part of a Great Dragon's stats. The rest are connections and wisdom. It's totally reasonable for a Dragon to have 10 wagemages nearby to counterspell for him. If our GM tried that type of backup with an A level corp, we'd complain. I also told him that a group of noob mages would never get to prepare for a meeting with a GD. They would either meet an emissary or the Dragon would appear unnanouced.
The only Great Dragon that did keep any kind of predictable schedule was Dunklezahn, and he did get taken out (if you don't beleive the conspiracies).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012