Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spell Locations
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
gh0st.walk3r
I went a little crazy this afternoon, I was trudging through the sourcebooks looking up spells of the various mages and shamens in my group, and I got pissed off flicking through the books looking for the casting info, duration, drain, etc.

So, I wrote a cheat sheet up for them. Basically its the list out the back of MITS with a few extras added to it from newer sourcebooks, along with page numbers for each spell and its spell category. (Spells arranged alphabetically for easy searching)

So far I've been through the following sourcebooks:
  • SR3 Core Rulebook
  • Magic in the Shadows
  • Target: Awakened Lands
  • Target: Wastelands
  • State of the Art: 2064

Can anyone think of any books I've missed which have other spells in?
Kagetenshi
You might want to suggest to them that they write things like drain code, TN, and other frequent needfuls next to the spell on their character sheets.

~J
Ryu
That would be old-school Kage. You might even suggest physical punishment for both character and player if said scribbling does not commence the next time the player is not involved in the gaming action. wink.gif
Tanka
Using the Wordman sheets, I tend to just jot down basic notes on what something does, if it isn't self-explanitory or we know it by heart (various bits of 'ware, guns, armor, a few spells/adept powers).

If it's something they don't use frequently, I'd definitely suggest they write down which book it's detailed in, and what page it's on for quick reference. Much easier than hunting through five different books just for one spell.
gh0st.walk3r
While I am of the old school player, where I don't need to look in a sourcebook during play I have that many notes, I would have to define my players as n00bs, or occasionally cheating powergamer n00bs (depending on how little they want to get hurt) and at least one of them has, on more than one occasion 'forgot' the negative side-effects of at least 1 piece or grea/spell/'ware, so this is more for me to keep an eye on them.

I mean, I'm all for fun roleplay/spcial/hangout with buddies time, but if its gonna resort to cheating to make it easier I might as well sit them all cross-legged in the reading corner for story time, and read some of the novels to them

[/RANT]
Ancient History
I knew I had this lying around somewhere.
Ryu
Yes of course you had. Its SR knowledge after all wink.gif

Fortunately, the days of cheating are long gone for the players of my group. Occasionally a glitch might be "overlooked" in critical situations, but if they cheat habitually my awareness needs improving.

For the purpose of player supervision I´d do a list of negative effects for each player rather than a list by spell. "Might glow due to armor being sustained" is more to the point than a list of spells. But I´d rather talk to the player about cheating if need be. I´m not a biocomputer programmed to run an SR campaign.
Bodak
If you open the NSrCg SPELLS.DAT file with a text editor you could copy out many of the spell stats from its table.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012