Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Aid
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Fortune
So, successes on the First Aid test are limited to a person's Skill level, so Suzi Homewrecker with her First Aid of 3 would be limited to healing a maximum of 3 boxes of damage.

We also have the option of using a Medkit to perform First Aid. Nik Noskill could hook up a rating 6 Medkit, and even with no Skill level, could let it run itself with the possibility of healing 6 boxes. If Nik chose, he could interact with the Medkit, thereby adding his Logic (-1 for defaulting, I assume) to the Dice Pool, but would still be limited to healing a maximum of 6 boxes.

Now ...

What if Suzi ( First Aid 3) wants to hook up a rating 6 Medkit and interact with it to heal herself. The Medkit supposedly supplements a person's First Aid Skill (or replaces it if nonexistant), but how does this affect the total maximum boxes that Suzi can heal? Would it be 9?

What if she was healing gunshot wounds and had the Combat Wounds specialization. Would her maximum then be 11?
Konsaki
I would rule that if you are using a medkit to supliment your dicepool, you use your skill + 1/2 the rating of the medkit to determine how many boxes you can heal. The medkit will help with directions, but your first aid training determines how well you perform those actions.

The medkit gets its full rating on its own because its only getting its own rating in dice to throw.
Jack Kain
These are all really good questions,
The way I see it is thus, the max wound boxs healed is equal to your medkit's rating or your skill level. So either way your dealing with six. Could be wrong though.

Specialization is an interesting issue, but specialization doesn't actually increase your skill level it just grants a bonus in a specialized area.
Fortune
So, in either of those answers, there is no benefit really to Suzi having the First Aid Skill at all.

In the first (Skill + 1/2 rating), that would work out to 6 boxes maximum. She might as well have plugged the Medkit in and let it run.

In the second (either/or), there still is really no need for the Skill.
Fortune
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
These are all really good questions

Thanks.
Iceman
If am reading this right you got to apply the healing modifiers, on p.244, to your dice pool.

ShadowDragon
Healing is already tough enough as it is if you enforce the modifiers. I'd allow the 6 max hits from the medkit.

There's still a point to taking the skill because you roll the medkit's dice in addition to your first aid skill and logic instead of medkit plus logic minus 1.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Fortune)
So, in either of those answers, there is no benefit really to Suzi having the First Aid Skill at all.

In the first (Skill + 1/2 rating), that would work out to 6 boxes maximum. She might as well have plugged the Medkit in and let it run.

In the second (either/or), there still is really no need for the Skill.

With only the medkit, you only roll 6 dice.
With skill+Attribute+medkit, you get >6 dice.

Which one is better to use?
DarkNataku
I would rule the same as Konsaki. Don't forget that the device's rating and skill rating both get added in full to the dice pool. So it still pays off to have the skill there.

edit: An untrained user still gets to add their attribute. Still its:
Attribute + Medkit vs Attribute + Skill + Medkit in the dice pool.
FrankTrollman
If you have a skill and a medkit your dicepool is:

Logic + Skill + MedKit Rating.

If you have no skill, your dicepool is:

MedKit rating.

If you have no MedKit, your dicepool is:

Logic + Skill - 3 (-0 if you have supplies for a MedKit but no MedKit).

and the maximum number of boxes you can heal is your skill or the MedKit rating, whichever is greater.

There is never an advantage to not having skill when using a MedKit. There is never a reason to use a trained individual without medical equipment if such materials are available.

-Frank
DarkNataku
If a trained medtech uses a medkit/autodoc when healing a character, she receives a dicepool modifier equal to the device's First aid or Medicine rating. If the character is untrained, she can still make the test using her own attribute and device's rating in place of the skill.

You always get the attribute.
Mikado
Of course you could go the route of skillwires...
You can't use edge when just using the medkit without having firstaid.

IIRC: Firstaid works like magical healing, you can only try the skill once to heal a given set of wounds. Rerolling (or adding dice) could be important in some (combat...) situations.
shadowbod
I like the following...

1. Person with first aid skill = attribute + skill

2. Person without first aid skill = attribute - 1 (i.e. defaulting)

3. Person with meditkit and first aid skill = attribute + skill + medkit

4. Person with meditkit and no first aid skill = attribute + medkit (not defaulting as medkit replaces skill)

5. Medkit running itself hooked up to injured person = medkit
Big D
So, you're never going to heal over 6 boxes (unless you have First Aid 7, you masochist), but adding your skill to the medkit will get you a lot closer to 6.
Konsaki
Well, thinking about it, you have to throw 18+ dice to get enough hits to heal 5-6 boxes of damage consistantly. Considering that most people wont get that high of a dice pool, it's no biggy having that 6box cap.
mfb
sounds reasonable to me--maybe even a bit too good. first aid shouldn't, realistically speaking, cure huge amounts of damage.
Butterblume
Yeah, but healing injuries is one of the things I waive realism in favour of fun.

(Of course, healing 6 damage is enough, if you can even pull it off).
Konsaki
QUOTE (mfb)
sounds reasonable to me--maybe even a bit too good. first aid shouldn't, realistically speaking, cure huge amounts of damage.

I just took a panther to the chest. See this 3" hole?
With just one easy step using the 'First Aid' brand band-aid, I'm able to cover the hole like so... Tada, good as new!
Errr.... NO.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Well, thinking about it, you have to throw 18+ dice to get enough hits to heal 5-6 boxes of damage consistantly. Considering that most people wont get that high of a dice pool, it's no biggy having that 6box cap.

You need more: Effectively, two Hits are substracted.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Oct 21 2006, 09:46 PM)

You need more: Effectively, two Hits are substracted.

So it matters even less that the healing cap is 6 then.
Fortune
So the best Medic in the world (First Aid Skill 7), using the best tech you can get (Medkit 6), would still only be able to heal 6 boxes maximum, while Slimy Joe the BTL junkie with no Skill and a Logic of 1 could also heal that amount with luck (or Edge)?
zero skill LPB
Force 10 Heal ftw?
Fortune
QUOTE (zero skill LPB)
Force 10 Heal ftw?

Which is cool and all, but somewhat irrelevant to the discussion at hand. wink.gif
Jaid
actually, the best medic in the world is an adept with improved first aid (3) as well as aptitude for 7 ranks in first aid and a rating 6 medkit and a logic of 9 (cerebral booster or otherwise boosted), thus throwing 24 dice in the skill. maybe toss in an edge of 8, just for the heck of it, allowing them to re-roll failures, on average getting an extra 16 dice, for a total average of 13.33 hits.

since improved skill increases the actual skill rating, they could thus heal up to 10 boxes of damage fairly reliably (could do 11 if they could get their skill up one more point). mind you, they paid through the nose for that privilege though eek.gif

alternately, they could spend edge for rule of 6 goodness... thus rolling 32 dice for an average of 10.66 hits, half of which will be 6, thus allowing an addition 1.66 successes on average (for a total of 12.33 on average, thus still allowing a maximum of 10 boxes healed... but with a theoretical potential for more healing if they roll well).

or, alternately, you could create a first aid autosoft (not too improbable, imo), and get a high rating machine sprite, and give it control of an autodoc. no edge to spend, but it can theoretically heal a number of boxes of damage equal to it's rating, if it rolls really really well. this stunt obviously also works with spirits, naturally, provided you can get one with first aid, plus spirits have edge...

so, in theory... the absolute best medic in the world is a spirit whose force is best defined by 1/0, provided they have the first aid skill. of course, i imagine you don't often see spirits much past force 12 or so, let alone spirits who can approach 1/0...
hyzmarca
Damage is abstract. 7 boxes of physical may be painful but they are neither life-threatening nor debilitating. A little superglue and some ultra-strength asprin may be just what the doctor ordered.

Remember the MASH creed. There is no wound that can't be fixed with duct tape and a stapler if you get to it soon enough.
Fortune
I just find it very difficult to picture how the best Doctor in the world could reliably heal 7 (or even 10) boxes maximum. The presence of any medical equipment, nor the quality of such equipment does not really factor into the matter (except for improving his already pretty good chances).
hyzmarca
But we must ask outselves one question; "what are 7 boxes of damage?" Damage is abstract but there are a fwew hard facts. Damage does not hinder movement so there are is no to any important muscles, tendons, ligaments, or bones in the arms or legs. It doesn't make damage resistance any more difficult so there is no damage to bones in the torso or head. They don't cause dangerous bleeding or complications so there is no damage to internal organs or blood vessels. 7 boxes of damage are pretty uncomfortable but they aren't major at all.
Fortune
Ok then. Given one specific set of injuries, for example, the blast from a grenade that has done 9 boxes of damage to poor Bobby Butthead. The best (non-awakened) doctor in the world could reliably patch up 7 boxes, and only a maximum of 7 boxes, whether he was using a paper straw and a dried-out onion ring (penalty for poor tools, but still a decent chance), or the latest state-of-the-art DocWagon™ Platinum Medkit.
mfb
the problem lies in the abstract damage system--or, really, the lack of continuing damage, not in the first aid rules per se. first aid doesn't really fix anything; it just keeps you from taking more damage (bleeding, broken bones poking new and more useful holes in your extremities, etcetera), or makes sure your body doesn't screw up the process of healing itself (shock).

if bleeding and shock were included in the damage system, first aid would have a useful, realistic application. as it stands, the two options are to either make first aid realistically useless (since the things first aid fixes don't exist in SR, first aid shouldn't be fixing much of anything), or make it unrealistically useful (see SR4, pg 242).

or... well, i guess you could get a bit more complex. say that the first aid skill can only heal 1/6 of the practitioner's skill--eg, 1 box, for a skill 6 EMT. however, using the first aid skill can also ameliorate the effects of up to, say, (skill) boxes for one hour. the damage is still there, it just doesn't affect the victim--like pain resistance.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Fortune)
Ok then. Given one specific set of injuries, for example, the blast from a grenade that has done 9 boxes of damage to poor Bobby Butthead. The best (non-awakened) doctor in the world could reliably patch up 7 boxes, and only a maximum of 7 boxes, whether he was using a paper straw and a dried-out onion ring (penalty for poor tools, but still a decent chance), or the latest state-of-the-art DocWagon™ Platinum Medkit.

with poor tools you are looking at on average 3-4 boxes (6 stat + 7 skill - 2? penalty gives between 3-4 success) the reliable 7 in that instance is witrh edge IE the hollywood deal fo it is dramatically appropriate so House gets it right with shit tools
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Yeah, but healing injuries is one of the things I waive realism in favour of fun.

(Of course, healing 6 damage is enough, if you can even pull it off).

Here's fun in healing.
IN d6 starwars by charater with us Uber tech skill. Used a medkit on an ally an inch from death brought him to full health while driving a speeder.
Iceman
"Each net hit over the the threshold reduces 1 box of damage" p.242

So if we say first aid 5 + logic 3 + medkit 4 - conditons bad -3 = 9 dicepool (threshold is 2)

now cus he's got first aid of 5 meaning that his max damage he can heal is 5 boxs.

now this is where i think some ppl are forgetting. cus you got 9 dice's to roll doesnt mean you are goin to heal all 5 wound boxs. the max you can do is 4 without using the edge (thats if you have got any edge?)

sorry but abit off topic now,that i need to say.

there something that i dont really believe in and thats Assistance on the healing modifier P.244.

surly it should be change from "skilled assistant" to "assistant". why? well if you are a skilled first aid person and someone who aint skilled but wants to give you a hand then, the skilled person would say something like "ok apply pressure here while i bandaged his other wound",etc. which i think should give the +1 for assistant, even if aint skilled.

iceman
Iceman
Here's fun in healing.
IN d6 starwars by charater with us Uber tech skill. Used a medkit on an ally an inch from death brought him to full health while driving a speeder.

wtf? biggrin.gif
Fortune
Kage, I understand your point, but I don't think I am explaining myself correctly.

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
with poor tools you are looking at on average 3-4 boxes (6 stat + 7 skill - 2? penalty gives between 3-4 success) the reliable 7 in that instance is witrh edge IE the hollywood deal fo it is dramatically appropriate so House gets it right with shit tools

... and ...

QUOTE (Iceman)
... now this is where i think some ppl are forgetting. cus you got 9 dice's to roll doesnt mean you are goin to heal all 5 wound boxs. the max you can do is 4 without using the edge (thats if you have got any edge?)

I get both of these points, but they are not really the issue. Edge could be used in almost all situations, and I'm not really talking about averages, but potentials.

As to the Threshold thing, I believe that the First Aid test has a Threshold of 2, and each success after the threshold is reached heals one box. So rolling only 9 dice, you could potentially heal 7 boxes (barring Edge use).

I'll try to illustrate my problem better ...

In the following I am really only interested in the potential maximum result. I understand averages, but that isn't my point. Here we go ...

Dead Meat Dan is lying in a pool of his own blood, surrounded by the shattered remains of his favorite McHugh's. He has taken 9 boxes of damage from a grenade, leaving him alive and conscious, but very badly wounded. His options are ...

* He can use his undamaged, top-of-the-line rating 6 Medkit on himself. If he does this, he either lets the Medkit do the work itself, or help out with his Logic of 2 and First Aid Skill of 1. If he helps the Medkit, he takes any appropriate Pool modifiers for Wounds. In this case, either way (Medkit 6 alone or Medkit 6 + Logic 2 + First Aid 1 - 3 Wounds = 6) he could potentially only get 6 successes, thereby healing 4 boxes (6 - 2).

* Wally Slobberthumbs has a Logic of 1, is Incompetent in First Aid, Illiterate, Uneducated, Uncouth, etc. He lumbers in from taking out the trash and is leaning against the shrapnel-pocked wall watching our wounded hero. If he were to slap the Medkit onto Dan, he wouldn't have the option to lend it assistance, but he could still let it run itself. Only 6 possible successes can be achieved, so the net potential healing of this option is 4 boxes (6 - 4).

* Average Jane Quicktypist just happened to be pulling her Jackrabbit into the parking lot, ready for a fast lunch, when the grenade exploded, and is peeking surreptitiously through the broken window. If Dan were to call her over to help, she could apply the Medkit. Of course, leaving it running by itself will net the same results as the first two options, but if she can force herself to touch our bloody hero, she could use her Logic of 3 and untrained Skill rating of 0 in First Aid, to help (Logic 3 - 1 Defaulting = 2 dice). This could result in 8 successes, and therefore potentially heal 6 boxes of damage.

* The blare of an alarm announces the arrival of Eric the Paramedic, still sipping on his Stuffer Shake™ and glad that he never eats at McHugh's while he's on the job. He could rush in and lend the wounded Dan a helping hand, using the wounded man's Medkit because it is better than the one he is supplied with. Again, just letting the kit run would gain the above results, so he goes right to work putting his Logic of 3 and First Aid Skill of 3 to good use. This could potentially garner 12 successes, which would unfortunately translate to only 6 boxes of healing (the other 4 net successes being wasted).

* As it happens, Doctor Rob M. Blind saw the whole incident from the back seat of his taxi, which is now, of course, stuck in traffic. Realizing he'll never get to his conference on time, he pays off the cabbie and strolls over to see what can be done. Spotting our bleeding friend, he makes his way to the wounded man, gingerly stepping around the debris in order not to scuff his polished leather shoes. He grabs Dan's Medkit and immediately puts his formidable talents to work on the injuries. Adding the doctor's Logic 6 and First Aid 6 to the test, we could potentially come up with 18 successes (16 net successes), but would still only be restricted to healing 6 boxes of damage.

If the Medkit was not available to the doctor in the above example, he could still have garnered 12 successes on the test (barring other modifiers), or 10 over the Threshold, but could still only put 6 of them to use.

It's only when you get into the realms of the superdoc does it make a difference, and not much of one. The greatest living non-awakened doctor in the world, using the best equipment money can buy, can only ever heal 7 boxes from First Aid, only 1 better than most of the options above.

Of course, we have the Adept with his Improved First Aid Power, potentially adding up to 3 more boxes of healing, but maxed-out Biotech-Adepts are somewhat few and far between in my experience.
toturi
So the best (skilled) docs in the world are adepts or magician adepts and the best anyone can do without Edge is 10 boxes. I think the writers never intended for Medkits or First Aid to function like the Health boxes we find in FPS games.
Fortune
I understand that. My problem is with the relative uselessness of the First Aid skill at levels 2 through 6 when used in conjunction with a Medkit. Without a Medkit, there is a tangible effect to each level of Skill, but the Medkit makes it almost redundant.

To fix this, I think a Medkit's rating should be added to its user's First Aid skill to determine the potential maximum amount of damage healed.
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune)
I understand that. My problem is with the relative uselessness of the First Aid skill at levels 2 through 6 when used in conjunction with a Medkit. Without a Medkit, there is a tangible effect to each level of Skill, but the Medkit makes it almost redundant.

To fix this, I think a Medkit's rating should be added to its user's First Aid skill to determine the potential maximum amount of damage healed.

The wonders of technology my friend. To take a "primitive" example, it is like spelling and spellchecker. A guy with spelling 1 could spell very well with spellchecker, you could say the spelling skill is useless with spellchecker.
Edward
Under SR4 we seem to have established that the best mundane emergency surgeon can heal 7 boxes of damage (6 being far more common) with some degree of reliability.

That is a heavy pistol shot against an unarmored target completely healed with no more than a slight stiffness remaining. And no chance that extreme exertion will cause the wound to pull open, no chance of infection.

And you people want it made better.

Fortune
QUOTE (Edward)
And you people want it made better.

I don't necessarily want to make it better. I want to make using First Aid 6 with the appropriate tools mean more potential healing than First Aid 1 with the same tools.
Kremlin KOA
When the tools include a SK program that can do the diagnosis and give exact treatment intstructiuons in laymans terms...

Which is what a rating 6 medklit is listed as having

also when you have the R6 medkit, your skill is really just working to help correct the kit if it misdiagnoses

hence it does not increase the potential from a perfect diagnosis, but increases the reliability of a good result
Fortune
I understand your point. I'm just not convinced. A tool is a tool. Take a hammer ... a poor builder will use it to do a shabby job, while a good builder would use the same tool to do a better job.

Really, I just think there should be something ... even if it is +1 box of maximum healing possible if a Medkit is utilized in conjunction with the actual First Aid skill (and maybe +2 potential boxes for ratings 4-6 in Medkits and First Aid).
Kremlin KOA
now take a programmable workshop asembly system

a shoddy builder who is innately good at math and programming (high logic and maybe a couple of levels in computer) will do very well on that 'tool'
Fortune
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Oct 23 2006, 03:26 PM)
now take a programmable workshop asembly system

a shoddy builder who is innately good at math and programming (high logic  and maybe a couple of levels in computer) will do very well on that 'tool'

Because, hey look, he has the skill to do the job. Probably much better than the guy with only 1 in Computer, but not as good as the guy with Computers 6. That 'high Logic' should have some small effect on the end product as well. And all of these people should have a better end result than the default workshop assembly unit could do on its own, without their input. wink.gif
Kremlin KOA
but a master architect and builder would do how well using it?
mfb
QUOTE (Fortune)
I understand that. My problem is with the relative uselessness of the First Aid skill at levels 2 through 6 when used in conjunction with a Medkit.
I don't necessarily want to make it better. I want to make using First Aid 6 with the appropriate tools mean more potential healing than First Aid 1 with the same tools.

why? what logical reason is there for a person with first aid and a medkit to do more maximum healing than a medkit alone? why isn't the increased average healing enough of a bonus?
zeb.hillard
I think the big deal around this is that a well-trained medic can heal up to 6 levels of damage, over the course of 6 combat turns (Per first aid rules, hits on the healing check take as many turns as you scored). Oh no! You easily do enough good work to stabalize the man who was hit by the Panther Assault cannon and make certain that he doesn't die.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that First Aid is around just to do enough patch-up work on a poor schlub that got shot so that he can get out of the fight, or live through it. That's when the best doctor in the world takes over with his Medicine ability and makes certain that the same man that was shot by the PAC is also up on his feet the next day by adding his hits to the victim's body test to heal damage.

Then, he's back in perfect form in 24 hours after getting hit with a gernade/PAC/Anti-Tank Missle. In my opinion, I think it's ABSOLUTELY fine for the best medic in the world to only be able to heal 7 levels of damage...because that effectivley breaks out the 100% Use Bandage skill from Ultima Online, reattaches the guys head with duct tape, and gets him to the experiences long-term-care people.
Iceman
I think a lot of people are forgetting that First Aid is around just to do enough patch-up work on a poor schlub that got shot so that he can get out of the fight, or live through it. That's when the best doctor in the world takes over with his Medicine ability and makes certain that the same man that was shot by the PAC is also up on his feet the next day by adding his hits to the victim's body test to heal damage.

Yeh i total agree
Fortune
QUOTE (mfb)
why? what logical reason is there for a person with first aid and a medkit to do more maximum healing than a medkit alone? why isn't the increased average healing enough of a bonus?

Because as it stands, there's not much OOC reason to take anything other than First Aid 1 (Combat Wounds +2) ... if indded any Skill at all The small increase in dice is not really a big enough reason when you don't even have the possibility of healing even one extra box of damage.

I am not asking for instant heals each and every time someone is wounded. Even if using both skill and tool in conjunction aloowed an extra box of maimum healing over and above the use of either individually, the test would still have to be made, and a large number of net successes would still be needed.

I just think that there should be the potential ... maybe just for flavor, or out-of-game reasons.
Fortune
QUOTE (Iceman)

Yeh i total agree

Except that is not what I am trying to say at all, as I have stated on more than one occasion.
zeb.hillard
That's what I get when I don't read the entire thread and misjudge the intent of the initial post, my apologies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012