Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of a new bit of Cyberware.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wakshaani
Bodyware: AR Manipulators

Similar to AR gloves, only implanted, AR Manipulators are usually found for those who need to interact with AR whenever, and wherever, they are. Most users prefer relatively minor implants in the fingertips and forearms, layered under the skin and out of sight, but the 'Cool kids' often have them on the outside instead, chromed up and shown off for status.

AR Manipulators ... 0.1 Essence ... [1] capacity ... 1000 Y

Draft version. Should the essence/capacity be doubled? Should the cost be higher? Would anyone be interested in this? Thoughts, overall?
kzt
QUOTE (Wakshaani)
Bodyware: AR Manipulators

Similar to AR gloves, only implanted,

Why? You just tap into the tactile nerves upstream. In order to make working cyberlimbs you have to already know what the brain is expecting when your fingers touch something.
Xane
See, what I don't get is why you need AR gloves when you've got simsense to begin with? If you're a hacker, you've got a sim module on your deck, wouldn't that also work for AR, allowing you to type on a virtual keyboard, or anything else you want for that matter?
TonkaTuff
Well, really, you don't.

But not everyone is a Hacker with rating 4-5 in the Electronics skillgroup. Joe Average, with his 1 computers probably doesn't know he can get full AR with the Sim Module that comes standard with his commlink. In fact, the companies that make them have a very good reason to convince him that it's simply Not Good Enough, and would he like to improve his AR experience with these nifty AR gloves that, hey, we just happen to have behind the counter? And don't you want to wire your entire wardrobe while you're at it? What, an electrode headset? Haven't you ever heard of Trode Itch? A discerning customer such as yourself certainly wouldn't want an unsightly rash, would you? Of course not. Nanopaste? Didn't you hear? The UniOmni Medical association has determined it'll give you terminal skin-failure. What sort of saleman would I be if I let that happen to my customers... Perhaps you'd like to talk to our in-house surgeons? We're running a deal this week on sense link implants...

Although, speaking of implants and the hassle of having to re-configure or re-apply your trode sets whenever you take them off, I wonder why there isn't an option to get the electrodes implanted subdermally (or tattoo'd in). The reception through your skull would have to be even better w/o skin and hair getting in the way, and since they're not wired to anything but themselves, there'd be no resultant essence loss, as there is with a datajack.
Ryu
IŽll take an internal simlink module if you donŽt cut the price.
Mal-2
QUOTE (Xane)
See, what I don't get is why you need AR gloves when you've got simsense to begin with?

As far as I know, you don't need both. To interact with AR you need a comlink and either
  • A simsense rig connected via DNI (trodes, a datajack, or direct implantation)
  • Image Linked eyeware and AR Gloves. An earpiece and subvocal mic might be useful too.
Wakshaani
Huh.

I was udner the impression that a Simrig was needed for VR, but, for AR, you needed the gloves and an image link.

Thus the idea of making a cybergloves option.

A simrig gets rid of teh need for gloves at all?

Which is kind of odd, since a Simrig attachment for your commlink is, IIRC, cheaper than AR gloves.

Huh.
Suitcase Murphy
QUOTE (Mal-2)
QUOTE (Xane)
See, what I don't get is why you need AR gloves when you've got simsense to begin with?

As far as I know, you don't need both. To interact with AR you need a comlink and either
  • A simsense rig connected via DNI (trodes, a datajack, or direct implantation)
  • Image Linked eyeware and AR Gloves. An earpiece and subvocal mic might be useful too.

For the sake of precision:

A simsense module for your commlink and a DNI connection is what you need. Simrig refers specifically to the gear for recording sensory input, and I believe that even with this, to interact with VR, you'll need goggles or cybereyes, as it would be reasonable to assume by the existence of the image link retinal mod that simsense is incapable of the editing required for VR (though, of course, it is adequate for full VR, which I guess is different in that it's completely overwriting the signal rather than modifying it?

If you don't have the simsense option, imagelinked eyeware is indisputably neccessary, but I would argue that a fully manual option would exist as well, for some commlinks, where one could just use the device's physical interface buttons. That'd be not so good for typing, though.
Rotbart van Dainig
You only need a DNI link (datajack or implanted comlink) to control AR with mere thoughts.

While a sim module may be used to percieve AR, it is not necessary - any display, etc. will do.
It is, however, required to experience VR.
Wakshaani
Wow. About five different ideas of what you have to have.

Anyone have anything official-ish to trot out?

Now I'm getting interested in figuring the situation out!
WhiskeyMac
The SR4 BBB states that the Sim Module is used to directly experience simsense programs and VR. pg. 318

So in order to interact with AR you just need a display link of some kind (AR goggles, Image link, etc.) and a commlink. AR gloves can help you work AR without needing to use the physical or voice controls.
Garrowolf
what does BBB mean?
WhiskeyMac
Big Black Book, it's an older reference to SR3 days when the special edition had an all black cover. I think it goes back even further, not sure.
Crusher Bob
SR1 was blue, SR2 and 3 were black. So it started out meaning the big blue book.
Garrowolf
ok so it's just refering to the core book then?

What about RAW?
I keep on reading that one too.
Fortune
RAW = Rules As Written
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012