Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Direct Combat spells: Common misconception WRONG?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Mal-2
Lightning Bolt (Indirect, Elemental)
Type: P • Range: LOS • Damage: P • Duration: I • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 3

The part highlighted in yellow is what's got people confused. The spell explicitly states that it does physical damage. If it really does stun damage, shouldn't it say Damage: S instead?
Eryk the Red
Seems pretty simple. Electricity normally does Stun. But the spell does Physical, and it just uses the elemental side effects of electricity. Works for me.
knasser
QUOTE (Mal-2)
Lightning Bolt (Indirect, Elemental)
Type: P • Range: LOS • Damage: P • Duration: I • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 3

The part highlighted in yellow is what's got people confused. The spell explicitly states that it does physical damage. If it really does stun damage, shouldn't it say Damage: S instead?

Ah, okay. Clearly I've been worshipping totem Twat. +3 dice when not realising what I'm quoting is actually the opposite of what I'm saying. biggrin.gif

It does indeed say Damage: Physical which is a bit confusing. I'm inclined in that case to go with physical damage and the secondary effects of shocking living targets or frying electronics as detailed on pg.154. But not the stunning effect.

Apologies to all who I kept incorrecting. smile.gif
lorechaser
Indeed. The confusion stems from the fact that SR makes use of the word physical as part of two different dichtomies - the Physical/Mana choice of spells, and the Physical/Stun type of damage.

The question is really is Physical (Spell) equivalent to Physical (Damage)? I say no. I say Physical (Spell) simply defines whether you resist with body or will, and how it functions astrally. You can have a Physical (Spell) Stun (Damage) spell.

Substitute the word "Material" for "Physical (Spell)" and it's easier to read.
Big D
Err, yes you can have a (Physical) spell that does (Stun) damage.

It's called Punch/Clout/Blast.

Lightning spells are listed as P/P, and described as having electrical secondary damage. Looks simple enough to me.
2bit
it's not even a question, that's how spells like Clout work. indirect, physical, stun damage. dead.gif
James McMurray
It seems to me a case o fthe specific overriding the general, so the spell does physical damage and has all the other side effects of an electrical attack.
Blade
There's something I don't understand (anymore) after reading this :

As I used to understand things :
- You cast a level 3 direct combat spell, and you get 3 hit. The target makes a body/willpower + counterspelling test. If he gets 3 hits or more, the spell doesn't work. If he only does 1 hits, the spell does 3 (level) + 1 (net hits) damage boxes

- You cast a level 3 indirect combat spell, and you get 3 hits. The target makes a reaction test. If he gets 3 hits or more, he dodges the attack. If he only gets 1 hit, he makes a resistance test against a 3 (level) + 1 (net hits) DV attack.

Is that correct ?
If not, can you please explain it to me in a simple way ? (preferably using my examples)

Thank you.
Dentris
Blade: you are correct
James McMurray
Except that 3 hits for you - 1 hit for them is 2 net hits, not 1.
hyzmarca
For those who don't undcerstand why Lightening does physical damage I propose a test. Get the longest conductive metal rod that you can possibly find, wait until the next thunderstorm. During this storm go outside with the metal rod and hold it up in the air veritically. Make sure that it is not grounded.

If you have any doubts that Lightening should cause physical damage after successfully completing this test then please feel free to post them.
Fortune
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 27 2006, 10:54 AM)
For those who don't undcerstand why Lightening does physical damage I propose a test. Get the longest conductive metal rod that you can possibly find, wait until the next thunderstorm. During this sorm go outside with the metal rod and hold it up in the air veritically. Make sure that it is not grounded.

If you have any doubts that Lightening should cause physical damage after successfully completing this test then please feel free to post them.

Alternately, walk up to the biggest speciman of humanity you can find, and have them beat you until you are right at the point of unconsciousness. Then come back and tell us that is not Physical damage. wink.gif
toturi
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 27 2006, 08:54 AM)
Make sure that it is not grounded.

How the hell isn't it going to be grounded?! You are holding it! You are grounded.

If the person survives the experiment, he could try to post.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 27 2006, 10:54 AM)
For those who don't undcerstand why Lightening does physical damage I propose a test. Get the longest conductive metal rod that you can possibly find, wait until the next thunderstorm. During this sorm go outside with the metal rod and hold it up in the air veritically. Make sure that it is not grounded.

Alternately, walk up to the biggest speciman of humanity you can find, and have them beat you until you are right at the point of unconsciousness. Then come back and tell us that is not Physical damage. wink.gif

If one were beaten to near unconsciousness then it would, by definition, be stun damage. If one were killed in a single strike then it would be physical damage.
fistandantilus4.0
stun overflow to physical?
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
stun overflow to physical?

Not usually without unconsciousness involved. wink.gif
laughingowl
WHile it is pretty clear the intent is the 'lightning' bolt spells does
override' the default rule of electricity does stun, (just as how it is going to be physical damage it you grab a high voltage line), that raises the question.

Anyone see a problem with a 'STUN' version of the lightning spells (and the corresponding -1dv).

(edit fixed spelling / typo: passed spell checker but was wrong, and I hate laptop keyboards)
Critias
Lightning.

Not Lighting.

Not Lightening.

Lightning.

Thank you.
Narmio
Ahh, Critias. You're such a rouge.
knasser
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
For those who don't undcerstand why Lightening does physical damage I propose a test. Get the longest conductive metal rod that you can possibly find, wait until the next thunderstorm. During this storm go outside with the metal rod and hold it up in the air veritically. Make sure that it is not grounded.

Dude! You are aware that people in the USA read these forums. You're going to get yourself soooo sued. Disclaimers man! Disclaimers!
Oracle
"The author of this post takes no responsibility for injuries or death resulting from the readers own stupidity."
Critias
QUOTE (Narmio)
Ahh, Critias. You're such a rouge.

My world-weary cynicism and tendency towards expecting the worst from internet forum-goers has blinded me -- are you trying to be clever by spelling "rogue" wrong, or was it an accident?
toturi
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 26 2006, 07:54 PM)

Dude! You are aware that people in the USA read these forums. You're going to get yourself soooo sued. Disclaimers man! Disclaimers!

Probably why we (almost) all use pseudonymns. Internet anonymity!
Narmio
QUOTE (Critias @ Oct 27 2006, 06:37 AM)
QUOTE (Narmio @ Oct 27 2006, 04:06 AM)
Ahh, Critias.  You're such a rouge.

My world-weary cynicism and tendency towards expecting the worst from internet forum-goers has blinded me -- are you trying to be clever by spelling "rogue" wrong, or was it an accident?

I'm afraid I was just trying to be clever. "Lightening" and "rouge" have plagued me endlessly on the internet in discussions about That Other Game. I entirely understand why you'd want to clear that up, though.
Ophis
The effect of the Lightning Bolt spell is to do ELECTRICITY damage, this is stun as per the rules and in real life. Note if it stages up far enough it becomes physical, to simulate a lightning strike cast at force 20. having stick my fingers in plenty of plug sockets (no I'm not kidding, just foolish) mains power doesn't hurt much just leaves you woozy, prolonged exposure would probably kill. The spell has a butch name dont read to much into it.
James McMurray
Ophis, the spell itself specifies that it deals physical damage. It's a fairly common conept in games, especially CCGs and RPGs, that whenever a speicific rule seems to do something different from a general rule you follow the specific rule, but only in that case.

So if Lightning Bolt says its electricity damage is physical, it's electricity damage is physical. It doesn't matter what the effects of putting a finger in a socket are any more than it matters what the effects of an actual lightning bolt are. The spell does what the spell does.

It certainly wouldn't be a broken or abusive house rule to rule otherwise though.
lorechaser

Don't be rediculous.

edit: Clarified to insure asshattery is clear. wink.gif
James McMurray
If you're wanting to make a case for your viewpoint you might try a little more words, perhaps some rules quotes, or something. If you're just being rediculous yourself, then disregard this post. smile.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Narmio)
QUOTE (Critias @ Oct 27 2006, 06:37 AM)
QUOTE (Narmio @ Oct 27 2006, 04:06 AM)

I'm afraid I was just trying to be clever. "Lightening" and "rouge" have plagued me endlessly on the internet in discussions about That Other Game. I entirely understand why you'd want to clear that up, though.

Makes me with I still had the picture for the cover of "Star Wars: Rouge Leader". Nothing like seeing Wedge with a little make-up on.
Ophis
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Ophis, the spell itself specifies that it deals physical damage. It's a fairly common conept in games, especially CCGs and RPGs, that whenever a speicific rule seems to do something different from a general rule you follow the specific rule, but only in that case.

It certainly wouldn't be a broken or abusive house rule to rule otherwise though.

Yep your right the spells header does say it does physical. The write up only says it does electricity, and the right up of electricity damage in cobat says that it is treated as stun damage, a term that implies to me that L.B. counts as physical for determining drain and it does Electricity damage so is treated as Stun. I'd love an actual developer to give us the clear answer on this one.

The other instance for a similar oddity is Killing Hands and Elemental Strike, the feel I get is that the elemental damage replaces your killing hands physical with whatever is appropriate for the chosen element. I hope this is so or sonic become ludricous.
Magus
Nope, Killing Hands and Elemental Strike as well as another can all stack and the damage is cumulative. Meaning your base DV for your Killing Hands (AFAIK Critical Strike do not have my BBB and SM at hand right now) and Elemental Strike each add their requisite damage to the target.
Ophis
So what your saying is that Elemental strike means I do my killing hands damage and my elemental damage as two seperate lots on each hit? Ie my high karma phys ad does 9P fro killing hand and 9S (ignoring armour) for sonic Elemental strike. No way I'm letting that one through.
Magus
It is a challenge, but luckily you cannot use some of the other hand to hand additives with Killing Hands/Elemental Strike. The text states they require too much concentration. If you want to limit it more require centering metamagic prior to utilizing that combo.
Ophis
Or i could just rule that Elememtal strike modifies the magical effect of Killing hands into instead generating the elemental effect, which is considerably less broken. Only Distance strike is disallowed for combining with elemental strike.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ophis)
Or i could just rule that Elememtal strike modifies the magical effect of Killing hands into instead generating the elemental effect, which is considerably less broken. Only Distance strike is disallowed for combining with elemental strike.

Which is, as far as I know, the correct interpretation. The effects are most definitely not cumulative.
Ophis
This is what i thought, Magus seemed to be applying it differently.
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Ophis @ Oct 28 2006, 06:55 PM)

Which is, as far as I know, the correct interpretation. The effects are most definitely not cumulative.

Elemental Strike "enhances the effects fo Killing Hands with an elemental effect." To resolve this in a consistant manner (since I can sertainly see both sides on the argument and I think both arguments have their own merits), ask yourself how would you resolve someone wearing Shock Gloves and was punching with them? The Shock damage only? The stun from the punch and the shock from the glove?
knasser

Elemental effects usually have a primary damage type and an secondary effect.
E.g.
Lightening does Stun damage plus a chance of temporarily incapacitating the target.
Blast does Physical damage plus a chance of knock back.
Light does Physical plus a glare penalty.

I took Elemental Strike to mean that the primary attack is always as normal (physical damage) but the adept gets the secondary effect as a bonus, too. Some of the elemental effects are therefore pretty good (e.g. Electricity), and others are quite weak or impossible to visualise (Sand?)

The questions remaining are what to use as Force for things like Blast which requires it, and whether or not Elemental Strike halves the target's impact armour. I think I'm going to go with Magic rating for the force. That's potentially quite powerful, but close combat types tend to get shot a lot in my game, so I don't mind. And I'm ruling out the half-impact.
Fortune
The Secondary Elemental Effects would be the actual enhancement. Same damage code, but added side effects of the chosen Element.

[edit] As knasser beat me in stating. nyahnyah.gif [/edit]
James McMurray
QUOTE (Ophis)
Yep your right the spells header does say it does physical. The write up only says it does electricity, and the right up of electricity damage in cobat says that it is treated as stun damage, a term that implies to me that L.B. counts as physical for determining drain and it does Electricity damage so is treated as Stun. I'd love an actual developer to give us the clear answer on this one.

Yeah, because when something states quite clearly that it does physical damage it means that it does stun damage. I mean, it's obvious, right? LOL
Chandon
Yea... the text "electricity damage is stun damage" needs to be removed from the elemental electricity damage description. That way Lightning Bolt and Killing Hands can do physical, tazers and stun battons can do stun, and there won't be any contradictions in the rules.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Ophis)

Personally, I'd allow Distance Strike to be combined with Elemental Strike if it were geased to a particular hand gesture and a chant of "Ha-doo-ken."
Magus
So how is it? Does it stack or not?

BBB page 188 1ed
Killing Hands
Cost: .5
Th is power uses magic to turn unarmed attacks into lethal,
physical damage. When participating in unarmed combat,
you may do normal Stun damage or declare the use of Killing
Hands and infl ict an equal amount of Physical damage instead.
Killing Hands may be used with Critical Strike (p. 187).

SM page 176
Elemental Strike
Cost: .5
This power can only be developed by characters who
already possess the Killing Hands power (p. 188, SR4).
Elemental Strike enhances the effects of Killing Hands(emphasis mine) with an
elemental effect (see pp. 164–165 of this book and pp. 154–
155, SR4). The specific elemental effect must be chosen at the
time the power is bought, though an adept may take this power
more than once to achieve different elemental effects (only
one elemental effect may be applied per strike).

So an adept with a Str of 5 Unarmed skill of 5 Imp Unarmed combat of 3 levels would throw 13 dice at what DV (P) using Sonic Elemental Strike? Would the Elemental Strike enhance the hit as a secondary effect?
Narmio
Magus, the way it says "The specific elemental effect" and references the lists of secondary elemental effects, plus some basic reasoning from sanity since it is not a ranked power...

It doesn't increase damage. Whether it makes the damage you do absorbed by half impact is an entirely different question.
Ophis
QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (Ophis @ Oct 28 2006, 03:14 AM)

Yeah, because when something states quite clearly that it does physical damage it means that it does stun damage. I mean, it's obvious, right? LOL

Mostly I was pointing out ambiguity in the rules. I'm off to PM a designer to see what the intention was...

The write up clearly states it does P, and also clearly states it does Electricity damage(which is equally clearly stated as doing stun).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012