Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Change to combat spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
laughingowl
Obviously many have seen my other post and the post flurry it started. Trying to keep the 'intent' style but also limit it somewhat (and make it combat spells work closer to every other type of spell).

What do people think of this house rule:

Combat Spells:

Base DV equals the total hits on the spellcasting test (capped by force of spell as always since this is the maximum hits you can have).

Applied Damage equals: Base DV + Net hits.

Every other spell type Force does nothing directly for the spell (save making it harder to dispel) but raises the 'potential' for success. The 'casting' is what determines how powerful it is.

This change would weaken mages somewhat, but follow the established concept for all other spells types and be more consistent with the other types of spells.

No longer is a force 12 spell (if it works) guaranteed to do 13 boxes of damage... WHile it still has the potential to do a base DV of 12, it requires the caster to get 12 success to get the base DV of 12.

This seems to follow how other spells work much closer.

While it obviously does 'weaken' the mage somewhat, it only really becomes a problem at the huge overcast spells, which is where most people will agree it can get a little silly.
Fortune
As I implied in the other thread, I think it sucks the life out of Direct Combat Spells, totally screwing the Magicians.
toturi
Overcasting has its own sets of drawbacks and I think that the combat spells' drain values are balanced to their strengths. If you weaken the effects of Direct Combat Spells, then you'd need to look at lowering the Drain as well.
Glyph
You would be severely weakening combat spells, especially compared to things such as firearms, which do have a base damage, often a pretty high one. Would you be combining this with your interpretation of the rules which lets the target make an additional damage resistance test after making the spell resistance test? If so, combat spells will be all but useless.
Garrowolf
I did a few things to balence out the power level a bit.

First off I capped Magic at 9. You can initiate up to your magic rating up you can't raise your Magic rating itself above 9.

Then I capped overcasting at Magic + 3.

Then I added an additional type of overcasting called "Pushing a Spell". This allows you to cast a spell at a force less then or equal to your magic rating but to greater effect. It still causes the shift to physical damage. You can't Push and Overcast at the same time.

Pushing a spell gives you your force as base damage + successes. Your successes are still limited by your force but this means you can potentially do double your force in damage with a good roll.

Your drain is Force + Drain Modifiers, not Force/2. It is harder and potentially more dangerous to cast this way but it is very effective. Because of the caps on magic there is a hard limit on spell power levels.

This brings it more in line with the SR3 Deadly damage spells but people have a choice on what drain amount they want to take.

If you want to you could make the ability to Push a Spell be a metamagic technique if you wanted to limit it.
laughingowl
How so?

Non-overcast spells: Force 6 < for starting mages.

Most any mage build will get 6+ GROSS hits and do exactly the same damage..

What it does limit is high level overcast spells (well statistically force spells > 1/3 your total casting dice pool).

However as other threads are pointed out as they exist right now a 'noob' mage actually has a pretty good chance of totally dropping just about any listed creature in the rules up to and including the 'base' stats for a great dragon.

ALL other spells the 'spell casting' test determines the strength of the spell NOT the force, the force only sets the maximum effect.

Why do combat spells get stronger from force NOT potential for being stronger.
cybertrucker
i launched a smart thermal smoke grenade blinding the mage that was casting those powerful combat spells then proceeded to shoot him from cover using ultrasound site smart goggles...It worked well. Thank you Ares alpha with APDS ammo, with all that smart gun technology you saved my bacon!
laughingowl
Hmm well first.

I have never stated I intended to use the damage resist for direct damage; jsut a in-depth reading gives a possiblity that they SHOULD.

I totally agree that BOTH would drastically weaken and in fact gimp mages.

However this as a stand-alone I do not think would weaken normal mage combat.

My problem is two-fold in looking at them:

1) No other spell gains power from 'force' but rather spellcasting sucesses. Raising the force of a direct combat spell by 1 is the equivilant of THREE dice on the 'reistance' roll.

2) Direct Combat spells (when pushed) are very much all or nothing. A newbie mage that can safely (my bleed a little but minor wounds) be relatively assured of doing 13+ stun damage to even a great dragon is pretty darn powerfull.

With this change that same noob mage would likely be doing 8-10 (minimum) damage. still not bad, but still a very reasonable hit.

I am not sure I like changing 'overcasting' rules since that can seriously limit the ability to do some other spells. (anyone try increase body on a troll smile.gif to me the only real painful place overcast comes is combat spells and that is because force measures strength not the potential for strength.

Well wanted peoples opions on this one, and despite others seems to think overcasting (especially) is overpowered, looks like so far people dont like this one. Although think I will actually run it in my next game and see how it fully works out. Working the number 'in my head' doesnt seem like it will change the average one bit for 'normal' casting and will only weaken drastic overcasting and does follow the precedent set by all other spells closer.

Garrowolf:

While you limits work very well for players. Is tha magic 9 cap hard.

What about the old force 12 spirit of man. Is it magic 9, or 12, overcast to 15?
Garrowolf
The magic cap is for metahumans. Dragons and great form spirits and what ever other powerful magical baddies you want can go higher. That is part of the point. I wanted any PC magic users to know that they are not the top of the magical food chain. That reality check exsists for every other character type but magic just kept on going so I decided to stop it.

I haven't sat down and worked out what would happen with pushing a spell other then a combat spell. I guess that it wouldn't work so it may be a combat only technique.

the thing about trolls is I use a rule that says that when a metahuman increases their attributes that have a bonus they pay for the increase without the bonus. This way they are not screwed when spending karma in game. I would do the same for the spell Increase Attribute.
laughingowl
QUOTE (cybertrucker)
i launched a smart thermal smoke grenade blinding the mage that was casting those powerful combat spells then proceeded to shoot him from cover using ultrasound site smart goggles...It worked well. Thank you Ares alpha with APDS ammo, with all that smart gun technology you saved my bacon!

First doesnt really have anything to do with this thread. Not really trying to compare your can kill mine, nor comparing magic to firearms.

Was looking at inconsitancy with combat spells and other types of spells (and is overcast cast combat spells too powerfull).

But if you bring it up:

Hmm ok all you have done is taken 4 dice out from me and likely 4 dice of your coutnerspelling mage. (or only two if either of us are an elf (or otherwise have low-light).

You are by the way at a -2 even with your ultra-sound due to the visiblity modifiers.

Also I just happen to be wearing mage-site google with a 30m cable attached.

Sure I am a -3 dice, but 30m of hardened steel and your Ares Alpha aint gonna touch me.

Bye bye sammy!

Its easy to come up with I cna beat you under these specific situations if one side can pick the choices after the other, so really has nothing to do with this conversation.
Big D

Yeah, the average beginning mage starts with 18 combat spell dice...
laughingowl
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
The magic cap is for metahumans. Dragons and great form spirits and what ever other powerful magical baddies

Forgot all the NPCs...

Force 12 by your rules spirits of man (which I why I used it) is possible for a player to summon.

So what is its maximum casted spell. 12+3, 12+6 (if it hard set maigc+3 or magic*1.5)

Also is the magic cap 9 BEFORE essence lost or after.

Or the ultimate guy now:

Magician Essence 1.01 Magic 9 Initiate 8 (or 9)

(not necessarily dishing your system and in truth I do sort of like it just trying to work out the 'problems'. The magic limit is reasonable since it is (well along with its equivilant ressonnace) the only 'uncapped' value in the game.)
laughingowl
OK since the vast majority see this is too weakening.

What about.

Combat spells base damage equal: MAGIC + net hits (capped by force)

You are assured of doing you magic damage (if it works) and overcasting can up this IF you can well; however an overcast is by no means an instant kill.

Note this would be a standalone. Not intended for other changes (over casting rules, etc).

So a powerbolt-6 cast by a magic 6 mage: with 2 net hits:

Damge (Base damage 6+2 = 8, capped at 6) + net hits = 8.

If cast at force 8 instead:

Damage (base damage 6+2=8 capped at cool.gif + net hits = 10

If cast at force 12:

Damage (base damge 6+2 = cool.gif + net hits = 10.

non-overcast work exactly the same way.

Overcasting now has limits based on your spellcasting skill.

Still makes 'combat' spell works totally differnt then every other spell, but limits overcasting and puts them a little closer inline to other spells.
laughingowl
QUOTE (Big D)

Yeah, the average beginning mage starts with 18 combat spell dice...

Plenty of people on the forums here have posted 'begining' mages that can/do.

While none of mine have, either as my characters in other games, nor my players in the games I run. The 'possibility' is there.
ShadowDragon
This might be balanced if you forget that casting is a complex action. Direct combat spells have a nice punch to them, but you can't fire off as many spells as a sammy can fire off bullets.

If you want to balance direct combat spells with indirect, try buffing indirect somehow.
Garrowolf
9 is the magic cap so Force 12 is only possible with overcasting. I don't allow spirits aiding casters to increase the Force, only add dice.

I am also harsh on characters that get cyberware and have magic. Each point of magic that they loose to cyberware increases their casting threshold by that much. Geasa does not remove this. If you take physical damage from drain and you have a cyberlimb then you have to check for damage to the cyberlimb.

I limited Geasa to only 3 points of loss possible. If you loose more then 3 points of essence, even if you counter it with geasa, you loose your magic ability.

Also you take any essence loss as a penalty to social tests with spirits as you are unnatural. This doesn't help in binding tests (it's not an intimidation bonus).

On the other hand clonal replacement is cheaper then cyberware and costs no essence loss. If you remove the cyberware then you get the essence back in my game.
Narmio
Owl, I think you are basing your nerfs on the upper extreme of twinked out players, and therefore screwing everyone else over. Those of us who don't play Shadowrun 4: Mindmeltingly Munchy Edition can't see a problem. Perhaps your style of play is what's making you think the change is necessary?

Oh, and I find it seriously difficult to believe that any starting mage can do ten boxes of damage to a great dragon with only minor bleeding.
knasser
QUOTE (laughingowl @ Oct 24 2006, 11:18 PM)
Combat spells base damage equal:  MAGIC + net hits (capped by force)

So if I, as a respectable mage with Magic 5, hurl my mighty Powerbolt at my enemy, I can at most get DV5 without overcasting and risking physical harm? Have I actually read that correctly? Meanwhile my mate with the SMG is doing 7P every simple action with narrow bursts (before staging up due to his skill and smartlink)?

Or if I really throw everything I have into it and go for maximum overcast, I can get 10P, which is likely to give me a few boxes of physical damage for my trouble. While my mate says "Oh, are we being serious, here?" and tossess a 45 nuyen.gif explosive grenade that does the same damage to an area effect. Or else pulls his assault rifle with all the recoil mods and squeezes off a long narrow burst as a simple action, with no drain so he can carry on all day, and not subject to counterspelling which would render him useless.

As to the slaughter of great dragons. I think you underestimate how powerful they are, but yes, dragons are physical creatures, this isn't D&D and someone with the drop on one and a machine gun can bloody well hurt it. And that's as it should be. I suspect you've brought some preconceptions with you from another game. The priniciple in Shadowrun tends to be one of strong on attack, weak on defense. This runs through both firearms and magic. It's what lends Shadowrun its realism, and the dependency on stealth, tactics and strategy. A dragon has an Logic of 7 normally. That makes it smarter than almost any modern day human on the planet. And that is what makes it scary.

Don't underestimate how important the lethality of offense is in Shadowrun. It's a subtle but vital part of the flavour of the game. Picture it as chess with exploding pieces.
Crusher Bob
Erm, I think it would go something like this:

Spellcasting 6 (combat spells) + appropriate mentor spirit
Magic 5, edge 6 (assuming human)

Rolling 21 dice w/ edge

Assuming a dragon has 9 counterspelling and 12 willpower (rolls 21 dice to resist).

The mage can cast at force 10, gets ~8 sucesses, the dragon gets 7. With one net sucess, the dragon takes 11 boxes.
laughingowl
QUOTE (Narmio)
Owl, I think you are basing your nerfs on the upper extreme of twinked out players, and therefore screwing everyone else over.  Those of us who don't play Shadowrun 4:  Mindmeltingly Munchy Edition can't see a problem.  Perhaps your style of play is what's making you think the change is necessary?

Oh, and I find it seriously difficult to believe that any starting mage can do ten boxes of damage to a great dragon with only minor bleeding.

Narmio:

Actually as this and the other threads have said. My games (played in or run) it hasnt been a problem. 20+ years of role-playing me and the two others that regularly run, easily handle even the worse munchkin.

The catch is the rules 'approve' munchkinism right now. I am looking at ways to make rules that balance that out and or explain inconsitancies in the rules logic.

As to you doubt about dropping a Greater Dragon:
[ Spoiler ]

laughingowl
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (laughingowl @ Oct 24 2006, 11:18 PM)
Combat spells base damage equal:  MAGIC + net hits (capped by force)

So if I, as a respectable mage with Magic 5, hurl my mighty Powerbolt at my enemy, I can at most get DV5 without overcasting and risking physical harm? Have I actually read that correctly? Meanwhile my mate with the SMG is doing 7P every simple action with narrow bursts (before staging up due to his skill and smartlink)?

Or if I really throw everything I have into it and go for maximum overcast, I can get 10P, which is likely to give me a few boxes of physical damage for my trouble. While my mate says "Oh, are we being serious, here?" and tossess a 45 nuyen.gif explosive grenade that does the same damage to an area effect. Or else pulls his assault rifle with all the recoil mods and squeezes off a long narrow burst as a simple action, with no drain so he can carry on all day, and not subject to counterspelling which would render him useless.

As to the slaughter of great dragons. I think you underestimate how powerful they are, but yes, dragons are physical creatures, this isn't D&D and someone with the drop on one and a machine gun can bloody well hurt it. And that's as it should be. I suspect you've brought some preconceptions with you from another game. The priniciple in Shadowrun tends to be one of strong on attack, weak on defense. This runs through both firearms and magic. It's what lends Shadowrun its realism, and the dependency on stealth, tactics and strategy. A dragon has an Logic of 7 normally. That makes it smarter than almost any modern day human on the planet. And that is what makes it scary.

Don't underestimate how important the lethality of offense is in Shadowrun. It's a subtle but vital part of the flavour of the game. Picture it as chess with exploding pieces.

Knasser I think you mis-read (or didn't read entirely) the post:

You are assured of doing you magic damage (if it works) and overcasting can up this IF you can well; however an overcast is by no means an instant kill.

Note this would be a standalone. Not intended for other changes (over casting rules, etc).

So a powerbolt-6 cast by a magic 6 mage: with 2 net hits:

If cast at force 12:

non-overcast work exactly the same way.

Overcasting now has limits based on your spellcasting skill.

Still makes 'combat' spell works totally differnt then every other spell, but limits overcasting and puts them a little closer inline to other spells.

THE BASE DAMAGE is magic+net hits (capped by force)
The Damage taken (as with standard combat now) is BASE DAMAGE + net hits.

Presently:
Magic 6

Force 6 power bolt Base damage 6, damage taken 6+ net hits.
Force 8 power bolt Base damage 8, damage taken 8+net hits.
Force 12 power bolt. Base damage 12, damage taken 12+net hits

My system:

Force 6 power bolt Base damage 6, damage taken 6+ net hits.
Force 8 power bolt Base damage (6+net hits, capped at cool.gif, damage taken 'base'+net hits.
Force 12 power bolt. Base damage (6+net hits capped at 12), damage taken 'base'+net hits

So non-overcasting spell casting works EXACTLY like it does presnetly.

OVER-Casting give you the potential to do more damge, but to do more damage you have to get the hits...

As to over-rating greater dragon, please build me a starting character that will stand a reasonable chance of taking out a Greater Dragon in a single shot.

Also if 'over-rating' please tell me how a single friggin dragon turns back the entire forces of Tir when invading California. You mean to tell me three armies of elves didnt have one single machine gun?!!!
Narmio
Spellcasting 6 (combat spells) + appropriate mentor spirit
Magic 5, edge 6 (assuming human)

Rolling 21 dice w/ edge

Assuming a dragon has 9 counterspelling and 12 willpower (rolls 21 dice to resist).

The mage can cast at force 10, gets ~8 sucesses, the dragon gets 7. With one net sucess, the dragon takes 11 boxes.

No, the dragon uses edge too, and the spell fizzles completely by a margin of two or three successes. Gotta play fair!

The catch is the rules 'approve' munchkinism right now.

Rules never approve munchkinism (unless you're playing Rifts, Hackmaster or Munchkin d20). They might enable munchkinism, but in the end the GM is the one who sets the game's tone and approves any munchkin characters.

As to you doubt about dropping a Greater Dragon:

Right, so a totally tweaked to the gills horrific abortion of a custom-built "starting" mage, with preparation and using all the resources he has at his disposal, can *very marginally over half of the time* seriously inconvenience a bog-standard great dragon who is not spending any of its resources at all.

Oh Wow.

Epilogue: And then the drake uses edge (which the mage couldn't possibly keep up with even with the Twist Fate rules broken) and resists the spell completely. And I don't have to go into what happens next.
knasser
QUOTE (laughingowl)

The catch is the rules 'approve' munchkinism right now. I am looking at ways to make rules that balance that out and or explain inconsitancies in the rules logic.

I don't think many people will be able to help you with "balancing" these rules as what you call balancing is what they call gimping and what you call munchkinism is, as you point out, what the rules support and what many of us consider normal. Essentially you want to make combat magic less powerful. I think it's worth going over assumptions that may differ between yourself and some others here. Once these assumptions are clarifed, then it might be easier to discuss how you change the rules to work for you and prevent arguing.

1. You don't think starting-level mages should be able to get a likely one-shot kill.
2. This definitely shouldn't apply to killing creatures like dragons.

Going through them:
(1)
The examples you have given are what many of us consider to be very min-maxed. Using the SR3 to SR4 conversion rules, a Magic of 6 in SR4 is actually the equivalent of Magic 9 in SR3. (SR4 GM Screen, pg. 26 & 28). The old SR3 magician has a Magic of 4 now. And likewise that Sorcery 6 in SR3 should be Spellcasting 4. It may be that you just have a skewed idea of what power levels should be. You'll note that if you adjust your thinking to these sorts of ranges, then it comes a little back into line with what you're after. This may be one reason why others here think you are "gimping" magic.

You should also be aware that your issue with magicians applies very well to mundane characters also. I can make a Samurai build that is almost as capable of getting those one shot kills and he is able to get them off round after round as simple actions without risk of drain. If you allow assumption 1 to stand, then you're making mages less effective compared to other character builds. And to be fair to mages, you'd need to gimp firearms and explosives as well. I said this earlier, but you didn't confirm or deny - I think you have a preconception that characters shouldn't be able to be quite so lethal. One of the selling points to me (and others) is that Shadowrun has this 'eggshells armed with hammers' concept built into it at a very fundamental level. That's part of its realism and what sets it very much apart from games like D&D. Skills and power improve, but "hitpoints" don't increase. Rather than fight this, I've gone with it and I find that it makes Shadowrun very much a game of strategy, stealth and deception.

(2)
There are two rough schools of thought on dragons. One is that they are terribly powerful creatures akin to those in D&D, and the other is that they are dangerous, but nevertheless flesh and blood creatures that are still vulnerable to being surprised by a machine gun on full auto. The RAW tend to support the latter case. I think using dracoforms as a barometer for whether magic is overpowered or not is a bad idea for this reason. You've several times used the example of a starting mage taking out a dragon. RAW, that's hard, but theoretically possible. It must be said that the example you gave was very min-maxed, but it's doable. Again, many of us are fine with that. If specifically, you want dragons to have more of a D&D feel to them, then it might be better to bump up their power with either higher attributes or some sort of spell resistance, rather than consider the problem to be magic. They can just as easily be taken out by a few mundanes with the right weaponry. RAW, they aren't intended to be invulnerable.

In your example previously, by the way, your dragon didn't use Edge. And dragons have a lot of edge.
knasser
QUOTE (laughingowl @ Oct 25 2006, 04:52 AM)

So non-overcasting spell casting works EXACTLY like it does presnetly.

Apologies - I misread your post. But you are wrong when you say that non-overcasting works identically to the RAW system. You have now made undercasting significantly more powerful. Are you going to ban it for Direct Combat spells? You will need to do something.

Other than that, your system seems to limit the upper reaches of damage for overcasting mages which is what you want. I'm not disputing whether it will have this effect. I'm simply warning of the consequences of this efffect. See my previous post for my reasoning on this and the balancing with mundane characters using firearms, grenades, etc.

QUOTE (laughingolw)
As to over-rating greater dragon, please build me a starting character that will stand a reasonable chance of taking out a Greater Dragon in a single shot.

I'm puzzled by this. Why should I try to make a starting character that can take out a greater dragon with a single shot? I was saying that RAW, they are very tough but not invulnerable. It's theoretically possible for a starting character to take out a Great Dragon. It's not likely.
knasser
QUOTE (laughingowl)
Also if 'over-rating' please tell me how a single friggin dragon turns back the entire forces of Tir when invading California. You mean to tell me three armies of elves didnt have one single machine gun?!!!

Well, the Shadowrun rule is strong on attack and weak on defense and that preparation and tactics make huge differences. This is going to show up quite a lot on Great Dragons that have high initiation and attributes.

This is all off the top of my head as I haven't thought it through in any detail. But for some starting ideas:

Let's give the GD, Magic 12, Will and Logic 13, Spellcasting 10, Conjuring 8 as per the BBB.
Great Dragons are also undoubtedly powerful initiatiates. I'm going to give this one a plausible Initiate grade of 8. Some would say this takes her magic up to 20, some would say it doesn't. I'm going to compromise for the sake of example and say she's boosted magic by just four points, so magic 16. The BBB does say that the statisitics are guidelines so I don't think Magic 16 is contestable.

Now what can we do with all this and a little preparation time.

Great dragon has given herself quickened Armour and quickened Deflection (SM). I could use foci or sustaining spirits, but what the heck. If a multi-millenia old dragon doesn't have a few karma to spare, no-one does. Lets cast them both at Force 20 and some of that nice old edge. Say I get 13 successes. That's a nice 13 points of ballistic and impact armour on top of the 12 points of hardened armour she already has, rendering her immune to small arms fire. I can assume the same scores for my deflection spell giving me a +13 dice pool modifier for turning aside ranged shots of any sort. Basically, Ms. Greta Dragon is unconcerned with even most air to air missiles. If I want to round it out, and I think a great dragon involved in such a massive operation as preparing to take on an army would, I might get me an improved invisibility spell that no-one short of Harlequin is going to penetrate, and certainly no technological sensors. A spirit can sustain that if I want. You'll note that no-one has a hope of dispelling these quickened spells.

Now the morale effects of a dragon you can barely hurt are going to be pretty severe on any army. But I haven't even touched on offensive capability, yet. If I want to do a basic full-frontal attack (which I don't, but more on that later), then I can rain down Force 10 manaballs at 4 per round (of course I have 4IP) with minimal chance of drain. Heck - drop it to Force 7 and discount drain altogther. I have LOS range and over the course of an hour ( 1200 combat turns ) can probably decimate an army.

Of course, I'm not going to be anywhere near that direct. I have a Logic of 13 (twice that of the world's smartest man), and the ability to disguise myself (Masking through up wazoo) and go anywhere as anyone. I'm going to spend the whole day wandering from platoon to platoon Mob Minding, Influencing, assasinating and generally wreaking havoc. Heck, I'm a super-genius-ultra-spy-mind-controlling-impersonator with spirits at my command. I can probably have every access code and communication channel in an hour. And it takes time to mobilise an army so let's face it. This has already been done.

And then just to round it out, there are the big things. You know, Force 8+ Great Form earth and air spirits bringing vast regions to a halt with Storm power and Quake power.

Heck - I don't have to stop the army. I just have to scare the shit out of them. They wont get far when none of them can reach the upper command because I ate them. biggrin.gif

But the nice thing is, that a well-prepared team with the drop on that dragon probably could kill her. It's just incredibly difficult to get that drop on her. Strategy, planning and tactics. That's what Shadowrun is about. smile.gif
laughingowl
QUOTE (knasser)
Apologies - I misread your post. But you are wrong when you say that non-overcasting works identically to the RAW system. You have now made undercasting significantly more powerful. Are you going to ban it for Direct Combat spells? You will need to do something.

Knasser:

How do I make undercasting significantly more powerful.

Current system:

Magic 6 casting a force 6 spell. base damage 6 damage taken base+ net hits.

Magic 6 casting force 4 spell. base damage 4 damage taken base+ net hits.

My system:

magic 6 casting force 6 spell. base damage (magic+net hits, CAPPED at force) so 6 damage taken base is base+ net hits

magic 6 casting a force 4 spell. base damage (magic+net hits, CAPPED at force) so 4, damage taken base + net hits

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The base damage 'capped' at force means if Magic >= Force base damage will equal force.

(exactly like RAW, where Force = base DV)

ONLY when magic < force will the base DV be potentially differnt then 'RAW" and only when vastly overcasting.

magic 6 overcasting force 8

'RAW" Base damge 8 damage taken base+ net hits.

'Mine' Base damage (magic + net hits, capped at force(cool.gif) damage taken base+net hits.

If the caster scores 1 net hit. 'raw' he does 9 points, mine he does 8.
If the caster scores 2+ net hits, mine and raw work out identical.

Magic 6 Overcasting force 12

"raw' base damage 12, damage taken base + net htis.
"mine' baase damage (magic+net hits, capped at force(12), damage taken base + net htis.

If caster scores 1 net hit.
'Raw' damage taken is base(12)+1=13
'mine' damage taken is base(7)+1 = 8

If caster scores 3 net htis
'raw' damage taken is base(12)+ 3=15
'mine' damage taken is base(9)+3=12

If caster scores 6+ net htis then they work out identical
'raw' damage tkaen is base (12) + net htis.
'mine' damage taken is base (12 (magic 6 + net htis(6)) + net hits.

The effect is overcasting is effective only to the number of net hits you can get.

if you think you are going to get 1-2 'net hits' dont overcast by more then about 3.

If you think you are going to get tons of 'net' hits, but still also want to up the damage, then overcast all you want.

As to the min/max effect.

Havent had a single problem in my game. HOWEVER, as a developer and coder the potential in the system is problematic.

'normal' use magic, guns, everything works fine.

My problem is predomiately with large scale overcasting.

Combat spells benefit consdierably more then any other spell due to overcasting and IMO due get 'too good' if pushed to legal (but defiantely into the munchkin range) rules.

I am looking to curve the damage. '99%' of the players / casters see no difference or a very slight difference.

The ones that are trying to bend the system to get maximum effect see a noticable drop but will generally still get 'more for their money' jsut with diminishing returns.
laughingowl
Well the views are pretty fixed, though I really wonder has a single person actually read the description, since EVERY one that has tried to give specifics has incorrectly quoted / reference it.

Though seem like people really dont like it.

Might have to go with garrowulf system then of limit magic to a hard maximum (base+half) (metahumanity = 9) (I would allow Greater Dragons to initate up to 18 (12+6) and probably limit overcasting to 1.5* magic.

(a slightly stronger verision that garrowulf's)

I still think trying to limit overcasting on 'combat' spells would work better, since most spells dont get any more powerful automatically casting ad maximum overcast, they just get the ability to use the hits socred. (as opposed to combat get directly more powerful regardless of number of hits); but everyone here is pretty much saying its gimping, though I do wonder.

Can anyone answer how much damage is done if a magic 8 caster, casts a powerbolot at force 12 and gets 4 net hits how much damage he does, 'raw' and 'mine'
Fortune
QUOTE (laughingowl)

[snip]

magic 6 casting force 6 spell. base damage (magic+net hits, CAPPED at force) so 6 damage taken base is base+ net hits

magic 6 casting a force 4 spell. base damage (magic+net hits, CAPPED at force) so 4, damage taken base + net hits

Under your system, If a character with a Magic of 6 (why do all of your examples seem to have this?) chooses to cast a Spell at Force 1, then with only 1 net success the Spell would have a DV of 7. Per canon, it would have a DV of 2.

Quite a bit of difference.
Fortune
QUOTE (laughingowl)
Well the views are pretty fixed, though I really wonder has a single person actually read the description, since EVERY one that has tried to give specifics has incorrectly quoted / reference it.

See my post in your other related thread.
Eleazar
I have reread laughingowl's post a couple of times and notice one thing he didn't cover. What happens when Magic > force. As far as I can tell Fortune is correct. Though usually this is suboptimal. I doubt I am going to be the opponents willpower to ever get off this force 1 spell. Most people have at least 3 willpower. That is enough to get 1 hit and resist the force 1 spell. Though it is rather bad when I have a magic 6 casting a force 5. I get 1 DV for free and can reliably hit most targets. I also get less drain as well, where normally I would be taking the drain of a force 6 spell for this kind of damage.

Those rules just don't make sense either, in regards to Shadowrun flavor. I would rather see rules that are inline and compliment how magic works in the SR4 universe.
lorechaser
The way I read Laughingowl's newest change is that your hits are capped by either your magic, or the force, whichever is lower. Everything else is exactly the same.

If that's the only change, I'm fine with it. It's a little weaker overall, but if he feels that overcasting is too powerful, it's a reasonable fix, imho. Edit: It seems like people are reading it as the base damage is *always* your magic. I think LO meant that it would be the lower of magic/force.

Is that your proposal, LO?

And if it's not, how do you feel about that? wink.gif

Here are a couple examples.

Elf Mage, Magic 4. Spellcasting 5, focus in Combat spells, Adversary mentor spirit, spellcasting (combat) focus 2.

1. Casts a force 4 manabolt. Rolls 15 dice, gets 5 hits. Hits are capped at 4, damage is 4 + 4, or 8, in either system.

Too much drain taken, need less power cap'n!

2. Casts a force 2 stunbolt. Rolls 15 dice, gets 5 hits. Hits are capped at 2, damage is 2 + 2, or 4, in either system.

OMG, IT'S A MUTANT KILLER WHALE!!

3. Casts a force 8 death touch. Rolls 15 dice. Gets 5 hits. Hits are capped at 4, as magic is 4. Damage is 8+4, drain is physical, in his system. In RAW, damage is 8+5, as hits aren't capped at 4.

So this system results in a slightly less powerful overcast (by 1 hit)

3a. Casts a force 8 death touch. Spends Edge, rolls 19 dice. Gets 9 hits after rerolling 6's. Hits are capped at 4 (magic). Damage is 8+4, drain is physical. In RAW, damage is 8+8, as hits are capped at 8.

In the higher end overcast, it's a bigger impact. In situations where your dice pool far outweighs your magic, you can't deliver the biggest impacts.
knasser
QUOTE (laughingowl @ Oct 25 2006, 08:35 AM)

Knasser:

Fortune has already covered this one. If a mage with Magic 4 (I'm picking something I feel is a bit less munchkinny than the maxed out Magic 6), casts that Manabolt at Force 1 and gets four successes, he's doing DV5, whereas in the RAW system, he'd get 1DV.

But again, my issue isn't so much with how you choose to limit magic, but that doing so will cause balance problems and a shift in game flavour.

On the subject of overcasting, which is what your rules are designed to limit, I'm not sure why you feel the need to limit it so. If a player is daft enough to routinely cast Manabolt at twice his magic (which seems to mean Force 12 for all your examples), then he's going to face a DV6 physical drain. Even with Will and Log of 6 each, that's going to be 2 boxes of damage on average. I'm wondering if you have some other oddity in your game which is throwing your balance out, such as mages commonly having Increase Attribute spells on sustaining foci boosting their drain attributes, or you allow healing of drain damage as per the optional rules in SM, or something. Or possibly you refresh edge more than once per session? Your example characters have had 6 edge where mentioned. That's also quite high.
Chandon
laughingowl, Here's my question: Have you actually tested the official rules? Are they really a problem?

Sure, direct combat spells don't follow the exact same pattern as other spells. That's the way the game designers designed it. That's the way it was playtested. Have you considered that it might work fine that way?
DireRadiant
Guns have no drain.
Combat spells do have drain.
Guns and Combat Spells both have reaction and damage resistance checks.
Therefore guns should have the same drain as combat spells.

Everything needs to end up with the exact same mechanics or else it just not fair!

Fix guns!
kzt
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Guns have no drain.
Combat spells do have drain.
Guns and Combat Spells both have reaction and damage resistance checks.
Therefore guns should have the same drain as combat spells.

Everything needs to end up with the exact same mechanics or else it just not fair!

Fix guns!

And don't forget, guns also need to be insubstantial, work on the astral plane and allow you to double their damage at will. So yes, Fix Guns! indeed.
laughingowl
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (laughingowl @ Oct 25 2006, 11:35 PM)

[snip]

magic 6 casting force 6 spell.  base damage (magic+net hits, CAPPED at force) so 6  damage taken base is base+ net hits

magic 6 casting a force 4 spell.  base damage (magic+net hits, CAPPED at force) so 4,  damage taken base + net hits

Under your system, If a character with a Magic of 6 (why do all of your examples seem to have this?) chooses to cast a Spell at Force 1, then with only 1 net success the Spell would have a DV of 7. Per canon, it would have a DV of 2.

Quite a bit of difference.

Actually once again I restate. Guess nobody has ever read it.

Combat Spells:

Base DV equals the total hits on the spellcasting test (capped by force of spell as always since this is the maximum hits you can have).

Applied Damage equals: Base DV + Net hits.

What about.

Those are the intial posts for either my original or modified verision.

If you notice there are very important words in there 'capped by foce'

Then we look at all of the examples I did:

o a powerbolt-6 cast by a magic 6 mage: with 2 net hits:

If cast at force 12:

Ok we wll take yours and apply the above rules:

magic 6 Force 1 cast with 1 net success

"raw' Base Damage 1 (force) Total Damage Applied: 2 (base(1)+Net Success(1))
'mine' Base Damage 1 (6 (magic) capped by force(1) equals 1) Total damage applied 2 (base (1) + Net Successes(1))

Magic 2 force 1 cast with 200 net successes
'Raw' base damage 1 (force) Total Damage: 201 (base(1) + Net sucesses(200))
'Mine' base damage 1 (magic(2) capped by force(1)=1) Total Damage: 201 (base(1) + net successes (200))

Magic 4 force 8 spell with 3 net successes (what mine limits)
(this is an example of a 'maximum' overcast (and since you dont like no magic 6)

'Raw' base damage 8 (force) total damage 11 (base(cool.gif + Net successes(3))
'Mine' Base Damage 7 (Magic(4)+Net successes(3) (capped at force(cool.gif = 7) Total Damage taken: 10 (base(7)+Net successes(3))

My system works out IDENTICAL to 'RAW" EXCEPT when the amount the spell is 'overcast' less then the 'net successes'

X-Kalibur
The problem isn't the magic system, it's the min-maxing/munchy players. Please feel free to slap them with a trout if their beginning combat mage has 18+ spell casting dice. Also feel free to use imaginative means to incapacitate their abilities, such as a mage sitting in astral dispelling them nyahnyah.gif
lorechaser
To some degree, yes.

But at the same time, simply saying "People with 18 dice pools should be slapped" avoids the issue, and implies that there should never be people with 18 dice pools. Seeing that it's relatively easy to get, and any mid level runner will likely hit that in their prime skill....

And mechanics are pretty much in place to negate the 18 dice abuse - magic is capped by force. Overcasting is capped by physical damage. LO feels that isn't enough, and wants a bit more - I can see that.

But simply hand waving 18 dice as "bad gaming" doesn't work. Hell, the majority of my characters have at least 15 dice (stat of 5, skill of 5, specialization for 2, then some booster, whether it's muscle toner, smart link, adept power, etc) in their primary ability - otherwise, why hire my runners, instead of John Q off the street?

Hell, the example street sam has 14 dice to roll for combat!
X-Kalibur
There are plenty of innovative, creative, and outright useful ways to hinder a mage's magical ability in combat. First and foremost is LOS. Things such as smoke and cover help play a role in this, flash grenades as well.

Then you have mage backup, be it astrally dispelling the mage or actively in combat providing counterspelling. You also of course have the ever famous "Geek the mage first". As they are generally worse at taking a 9mm to the chest than the Sammy or Phys Ad or the rigger's drone.

Also of course is that someone tossing around that much mojo is going to traced by it fairly easily unless they always have time to clean up the astral traces, which they won't.
laughingowl
QUOTE (Chandon)
laughingowl, Here's my question: Have you actually tested the official rules? Are they really a problem?

Sure, direct combat spells don't follow the exact same pattern as other spells. That's the way the game designers designed it. That's the way it was playtested. Have you considered that it might work fine that way?

Yes I have smile.gif

'normal' gamers it is no problem, which generaly is what 90% of the playtester will do. They know what the system is 'supposed' to be and they play it accordingly.

Very few will actively 'try to break' and twist the rules for abuse.

Atleast a few other (garrowulf) seem to think there is some problems as they have looked at limiting overcasting.

Playing the only real balance problem I see is when overcasting starts reaching the +4 or greater range. (say force 8-10 for starting characters)

At this point it becomes a instant take-out (or nothing) for equal powered characters. (or very close to it). With no dependable counter. Guns/knives/fists all ahve direct counters. Direct combat magic has body/will + counterspelling + LOS modiferes.

Well generally any LOS modifers will usually offset the counterspelling if any (both the casting and the counterspelling require LOS, so both would be hampered by visiblity modifiers)

"hitting' with a direct combat spell will happen generally. which means 'full' damage is taken. At forces equal to your magic I dont find this unreasonable. up to 6 damage (no chance to lower if 'hit') is reasonable. A mage that could take out an average person 'if hit' with no chance of surviving would need a force 10 spell (standard person track of 10). If they had a magic 10 they have spent a crap load of karma and are a very prime runner. Any prime runner can drop a 'standard' person period.

The problem is with overcating a begining mage can cast high enough to take out even 'prime' characters with no chance of a partial kill. It is this impossiblity of 'wounding' that I dont like.

Very rarely will you have a person hit with melee/gun for either nothing or 10+

While the potential is there, normally they will get hit for some median. High force spells unlike anything else in the game, become 'dead' or 'fine' with no middle ground. This is what I dont like.

While mages should drop unprepared foes, mages should be able to damage (and wear down) prepared foes. Were as now it is either 'drop' or 'do nothing'.

Flip a coin. You live, You die is NOT suppsoed to be what Shadowrun is about (at least to me).

Sure lethal is good, 'Perfectly fine' vs 'toast' shouldnt normally be determined by a single success or failure.

But in any given situation.

A non direct combat 'fight' while 'kills' are entirely possible. If the opponent is at all prepared a 'wound' is far more likely. that some damage will be done, and a few shots, grenades, punches will take out the person.

With direct combat it is far more likely that either the target is fine, or the target is dead/out of fight. Which I find wrong
Triggerz
LaughingOwl, I think your system is an extremely elegant solution to the problem you mentioned. I, too, would like to see slightly more granularity in the damage caused by direct combat spell and will likely adopt your proposal when I finally get around to playing a bit.

Concerning min/maxing, I think people have to be aware that they are real-life people who pursue power in various forms - money, social status, political power, influence, big muscles, etc. - and these people do think seriously about how to best spend their time and money to achieve their goals of world domination or die trying. I don't think the world of SR is any different. As such, choosing powerful combinations of abilities, skills and gear are not necessarily munchkinism. If some characters are way too powerful relative to the standards of the game universe, it might be due to bad rules, but it can also be due to an overly generous GM - in terms of karma awards, among other things. Sometimes, yes, the Raw will have loopholes allowing abuse. The developers might have let something slip by. In the end, each gaming group has to determine what they will allow in their game and what is just going to break it.

My main character is a min/maxer. It's in his personality. Think Wise Warrior (but without the bonus dice nyahnyah.gif). He wants to be an effective fighter in certain specific situations and trains accordingly. He is ambidextrous but, in his background, it is an ability that he developed through training - because he considered it important and worked hard for it - rather than something he was born with. He is not a one-trick pony. He has interests, goals, family, friends, etc. He has limitations. He is human - well, elf, actually nyahnyah.gif - and fails every now and then, just like everyone else. He's good at what he does, and I don't see anything wrong with that. As long as the character has an *interesting* concept and background, I don't think munchkinism will be much of an issue. The problem usually arises when the player's character concept is: "I want to throw 50 dice when shooting with an assault rifle." In my group, I am the one who knows the rules best, so I am the default GM. As such, my players expect me to help them learn cool tricks that won't make the game boring for everyone else. When something is broken, I either don't allow it or try my best to fix it. I limit my own min/maxing by interpreting rules in a way that keeps things sane. If you interpret one rule generously, it can make for a cool trick. The problem comes when you interpret all rules generously and stack them to create a god-like creature that destroys the game. If the rules allow full overcasting at no drain too easily, then LaughingOwl's proposal and other such houserules can come in handy. I, for one, will look into it seriously.
lorechaser

'normal' gamers it is no problem, which generaly is what 90% of the playtester will do.  They know what the system is 'supposed' to be and they play it accordingly.

Yeah, but you always test for those 10%. wink.gif

At this point it becomes a instant take-out (or nothing) for equal powered characters. (or very close to it).  With no dependable counter.  Guns/knives/fists all ahve direct counters.  Direct combat magic has body/will + counterspelling + LOS modiferes.

I've actually found that guns/knives/fists are more often than not fine or toast as well.

The key to not dying in SR, far more than high body + armor, is high reaction. If you beat the 4 hits someone got to target you, it doesn't matter if the DV of their shot is 19. They didn't hit you. It seems that, generally, the amount that a character soaks with armor/body is about equal to the amount a good combatant adds on with ammo, burst fire, etc. So you typically end up taking Base DV + Net hits or so in damage.

In fact, that may be the rationale behind not allowing a resistance test. Consider:

Mage: Casts a Force 6 spell. Rolls combat dice against Body/Will.
Sam: Shoots an Ares Alpha, with Ex-Ex ammo, using a short narrow burst. Rolls combat dice against reaction.

So far, we're both using a 6 DV base, rolling our combat pool against a single attribute. All is basically equal.

Mage: Gets 2 net successes, final DV = 8, unresisted.
Sam: Gets 2 net successes. Modified DV is 6 +2 + 2 + 3 = 13. Target resists with Body + Ballistics (Say 4 body, 8 ballistics from Armor Jacket) -2 for AP. So target rolls 10 dice to resist. Let's say that's.... 4 hits to be generous. Final DV = 9.

Just about equal. If the mundane had rolled body + impact? Ha! Sorry mage. And the Sammy can do it again the same pass, with the target getting a -1 to reaction.

Now, revised, for maximum damage:

Mage: Overcasts a Force 12 spell. Rolls combat dice against Body/Will.
Sam: Shoots an gyromounted or bipod steadied Ares Alpha, with Ex-Ex ammo, using a full auto burst. Rolls combat dice against reaction.

Mage: Gets 2 net successes, final DV = 14, unresisted.
Sam: Gets 2 net successes. Modified DV is 6 +2 + 2 + 9= 19. Target resists with Body + Ballistics (Say 4 body, 8 ballistics from Armor Jacket) -2 for AP. So target rolls 10 dice to resist. Let's say that's.... 4 hits to be generous. Final DV = 15.

Once again, it's just about the same.

The key to remember is that the ranged weapon guy has any number of options to boost his DV before it gets resisted. The mage doesn't. And in both of those cases above, if the mage's target were protected by 3-4 dice of counterspelling, it goes worse for him.

The Sammy has to pay money to do that, the mage has to deal with drain. I think that's about fair.

So, in summary: Balanced. smile.gif

I worry that your samurai/gunslingers aren't living up to their potential.

Because a Magic 6, Spellcasting 5 mage with a spellcasting/power focus is "A high end caster."

An agility 7, Automatics 5 ranged specialist who has an alpha with a gyromount is "A twink."

Throwing in edge, and the true randomness of dice can skew things - the sam has two different rolls that can go badly against him, but also two that can go well. The sam's target can spend edge on two tests, whereas the mage's only once. But overall, I think that's okay.
knasser

@lorechaser: I've made that point about four of five times now in this thread, but have never had a reply to it.
X-Kalibur
The only part I saw unbalanced by magic was overcasting, and thats easily fixed by messing with the drain mods. Such ideas as when overcasting, the force is not divided by two for drain, or for every level of force you exceed your magic by you add that much drain to the end of the calculation.
lorechaser
@knasser: I used more numbers. wink.gif

I don't really mind LO's proposal, at least as I understand it (Limit to magic or force, whichever is less).

But generally, I worry that the bulk of the "Mages are sooooooooooo overpowered" threads are made possible by the fact that it's simply easier to pull out an overpowered mage than an overpowered non-mage. Mages can overcast with the aid of a spirit. Those are both fairly easy topics. Sams can pump damage via gear and builds, and recruit themselves a nice Steel Lynx to help. That's harder to do. And somehow, buying 5.5 essence worth of ware and dedicating it to certain purposes is more munchy, and less acceptable, than buying magic 6 and Conjuring 5/spell casting 5 + foci.

Case in point: My pc has a cybernetic gyrohand. This was done specifically so she could fire long bursts w/o recoil penalties. Several people called that out as "cheesy" or simply said "Yeah, I don't allow gyrohands in my game." Yet that gyrohand is basically the equivalent of overcasting - it allows her to push to the upper bounds, with a cost in essence and nuyen, rather than drain.

*shrug*
knasser
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Oct 26 2006, 11:34 AM)
@knasser: I used more numbers.  wink.gif

Numbers! I forgot the numbers! dead.gif

Yeah - I agree with you on the balance although I think combat magic actually is more powerful in several ways, but is compensated for by risk to the caster and certain situation specific limitations. In either case though, it's balanced.

What I feel with some of these threads is that people have a preconception about how hard it should be to kill someone or something, when in fact Shadowrun has always been set up to be an eggshells armed with hammers sort of game. That's what lends it some of it's edge and the motivation to plan, deceive and sneak about. Personally, wouldn't change it at all. Although smearing out the Direct Combat spells so that they're less all or nothing, I can understand wanting to do. But this system doesn't really address that.

EDIT: Oddly enough, I'd never really looked at the Cyberarm Gyro Mount. No-one's ever wanted cyberlimbs and I've not put it on any NPCs. By RAW, it actually does fit in a hand and is quite nice. Cheers - gyromounted villains coming up. biggrin.gif
laughingowl
Triggerz:

Glad you seem to like it.

Lorechaser:

You still dont quite get it, my limits are actually even a little 'higher' than you state:

"Limit to magic or force, whichever is less"

Is incorrect.

Damage from direct combat spells is determined by two thing Base DV and then you add the 'net successes' from the spellcasting vs body/will+counterspellign roll.

My systtem:

Instead of a flay 'base dv= force'

I limit the effect of overcasting (to hamper the very high end overcasting).

base damage value - Magic + net sucesses with a hard cap of the 'force' of the spell.

Magic 2 casting a force 4 spell.

One net success: base dv = 2 (magic) + 1 (net successes) = 3
Two net sucess: base dv = 2 (magic) + 2 (net successes) = 4
three+ net successes base dv = 2 (magic) +3+ (net successes) however the cap of 'force' has been reached so base DV = 4 (force)

Actual damage taken from those would (as always) be base DV + net successes

Another way to expresses it (in 'character terms' not game mechanics). Is while there is a certain amount of mana you can control easily (magic rating). Up to this effect you are assured the mana will flow properly.

You can TRY to use more mana, but there is downsides. One you tend to damage yourself (physical drain as opposed to stun) AND the additional mana you may or may not be able to control (the extra force dice only are added equal to your net successes), sometime a portion of the 'extra' mana is wasted as you channel it through you but are unable to focus that much extra mana into the desired effect.

One thing to 'be fair' your first example is slightly possible for a 'ordinary event' while hard to conceal the Ares Alpha is nto quite impossible.

For you second situation the sammy suddently got a gyromount, or has deployed the weapon on a bipod

You mage example has no 'loaded for bear' gear mentioned. Ex-Ex ammo, Ares Alpha, and especailly popping bipod or even worse gyromount, pretty much means serious heat. mage would almost certainly have foci, spirits, etc in the above situation.

Your example pits the sammy in full battle gear against a naked mage, not quite a fair example.

Now if you want to make the same 'laoded' for bear.

Give the mage a spell-casting foci 3 and a pair of mage-site googles with a 30m cable.

mage is behind 30m of hard cover totally unreachable, and is casting exactly the same (mage sight googles -3 dice, foci + 3 dice).

The first example I dont really disagree with.

While the mage 'could' be in the sky needle, has nothing gear wise to attract attention and the sammy is carrying a fairly heavy weapon (Alpha are going to attract attention)., I dont have a problem with non-overcasting 'balance'

The overcasting (especially at the high end) is where it seems to get a little funny. which is why I wish to limit it.

As described above.

Mine changes nothing non-overcasting. (functionally, tehcnically how it is calculated changed, but function will ALWAYS work out identical).

Overcasting you ONLY get the 'extra' force if you can sucessfully channel the mana (as determiend by your spellcasting test). if you are going to over cast by 6 points, you need to get 6 net successes (or more) to get the full effect.

Knasser:

unless I am reading wrong the cyberARM gyromount wihle the capacity is such it would fit in an obvious cyberhand, I would have to say the name pretty much means it HAS to be a cyberARM item.

Lorechaser:

CyberHAND gyromount or Cyberarmor gyro mount?

As I read a cyberhand wouldn't be possible the 'CyberARM gyromount' is specifically called a cyberarm. Even if allowed, the cyberhand would be at max capacity (for an obvious, (synthetic it wouldnt fit), so doesnt that mean shotting the gun you are capped at a 3 agility for shootting? (since no room to upgade the cyberhand?)
DireRadiant
Just go with Lower Arm. Capacity 10. Easy to add the gyromount and upgrade Agility to 7. (Ag = Rating * 4 availability, otherwise it would be fun to raise it to 9 agility).
lorechaser
Huh.

I see your difference now. I'm fine with your system too. Basically, you have to get as many net successes as the difference between your magic and the force. Fair enough.

One thing to 'be fair'  your first example is slightly possible for a 'ordinary event'  while hard to conceal the Ares Alpha is nto quite impossible. 

I didn't want to expand it to things like concealability. Now we're talking about style differences. If you include that, you have to start including wards, background counts, is the Star around, etc. Too many variables, and those basically boil down to mage vs mundane. The thing we're looking at in this question is "Are combat spells too powerful in combat?" We don't want to expand it, or we can't do a good comparison....

For you second situation the sammy suddently got a gyromount, or has deployed the weapon on a bipod

You mage example has no 'loaded for bear' gear mentioned.  Ex-Ex ammo,  Ares Alpha,  and especailly popping bipod or even worse gyromount, pretty much means serious heat.  mage would almost certainly have foci, spirits, etc in the above situation.

But none of those things add to the DV of the spell. They all add dice. That's my main point - the mage never adds DV beyond force + net successes (capped by force). Spellcasting foci, spirits, etc allow the mage to roll more dice, and get more successes. Sammies can also get stuff to add successes. But ranged combat has +DV options, which requires a 2nd resist. Magic combat doesn't, so doesn't.

And really, Gyro + alpha + Ex-ex is hardly "loaded for bear" - it's basic dv pumpinp. It's again the perception that a mage with magic 6 + spellcasting 5 is just a "basic mage" where as a samurai with gear is "Loaded for bear." Buying magic 6 is loading your mage for bear.... And the Alpha was used only as the iconic weapon. Anything that is in the Assault Rifle category would work - simply needs dv 6 and BF/FA. If you want to step down away from the Gyro, then we'll take the mage down to magic 4, which is a reasonable starting magic. The sammy can then simply use long narrow bursts, which are covered by gas-vent 3 + shock pad + bipod

The equivalent of foci and spirits would be reflex recorders, muscle toners, etc. I purposefully hand-waved all of that in to the "combat rolls" - the original example was pure attr+skill. And they were equal. The buffed example is attr+skill+misc stuff. For a magi, foci + spirits. For a sam, reflex + toner + smartlink + whatever. Basically, I assume that they are relatively equal. Because for the purpose of this discussion, we're assuming that a mundane and a magician are otherwise equal, simply that a mage has overpowered combat spells. The mage might come out a couple dice ahead with a good spirit helping out. But that adjusts the net result by 1 point, at most, which means we're still strongly within approximately equal range.

And a data point: The Alpha, Ex-Ex and gyromount are all available at character creation. They cost a total of 5,250 (with 50 rounds of Ex-Ex). If we only use a bipod, that's 2,250.

Compare that to a foci, which is 15k to 25k for a rank 1 focus. Plus Karma. So "loaded for bear" is spending less than a single rank 1 focus. Even adding in Muscle Replacement 2 and a reflex recorder (automatics), you're looking at 20k for ware and 6k for gear. That's a power focus 1, or a spellcasting focus 2.

That's what I'm on about. wink.gif A mage is considered standard if they have 6 magic, 5 skill, and a small foci. A sammy is considered hardcore if they have 7 agi (boosted with ware), 6 skill (via ware) and 5k worth of dangerous weaponry, their stock in trade.

Give the mage a spell-casting foci 3 and a pair of mage-site googles with a 30m cable.

mage is behind 30m of hard cover totally unreachable, and is casting exactly the same (mage sight googles -3 dice, foci + 3 dice).

Again, we're getting too broad.

Because I'll say "Oh, okay, then the sam is wearing thermal dampening 6 armor with 4 ranks in infiltration, and has laid an ambush for the mage. He also has a grenade smartlinked in the middle of the cover." We can go round and round on that for months - threads already do.

We're looking specifically to see whether combat spells, cast in combat, require houserules because they don't allow a body+armor test to resist. Don't go beyond that. Our hypothesis (Combat spells, since they do not allow a body+armor test, are too powerful, and need limiting) *assumes* that the spells and the attack will both hit, to compare the need for limits.

Now, to other points:

unless I am reading wrong the cyberARM gyromount  wihle the capacity is such it would fit in an obvious cyberhand, I would have to say the name pretty much means it HAS to be a cyberARM item.

I'm not a fan of arguing restrictions like that based on a name. It fits within the cyberhand's capacity. The flavor is:

When activated, counterweights pop out of the user’s wrist and provide her with better balance and reduced recoil for improved firing capability.

Wrists are part of arms. So I'm okay with it. Cyberhands are listed under cyberlimbs. Gyromounts go in cyberlimbs. Even if you aren't okay with it, get a partial limb. I can see that going either way, but to me, the fact that the gyromount is based in the wrist, and fits perfectly in a cyberhand's capacity makes it nice.

so doesnt that mean shotting the gun you are capped at a 3 agility for shootting?  (since no room to upgade the cyberhand?)

That really depends on your GM. If your GM feels that shooting a gun is a hand only action, then it would limit it to 3. If your GM feels that shooting an assault rifle or the like is more of a full arm or full body action, then no. What is and isn't affected is never defined. And again, if you feel that it is, get a partial limb, and add 3 agi. The difference is .2 essence. Partial limbs have 10 cap, so gyro+3 agi still leaves 3 slots open.

Punching is an arm based action. I'd say that firing a gun is as well, but again, GM's call.

Edit: I'm enjoying this thread far too much. Thanks, LO! wink.gif
laughingowl
QUOTE (lorechaser)
We're looking specifically to see whether combat spells, cast in combat, require houserules because they don't allow a body+armor test to resist. Don't go beyond that. Our hypothesis (Combat spells, since they do not allow a body+armor test, are too powerful, and need limiting) *assumes* that the spells and the attack will both hit, to compare the need for limits.

Lorechaser:

Actually I think that might be one of the problem.

My other thread about misconecption, was one based off a possible read of what also prompted this thread (which is really is high end overcasting too powerful) and a detaield read, grammar checking of the manual.

The OTHER thread's whole attention was the fact that by a techncial reading of the core rules. It is possible to interrupt that situation to say you do get the second resist and I could find nothing that postively proves that wrong. While admitedly everyone (and to be honest msyef) belive that you do not. A sitrct reading of all the listed rules section wouuld say you do. The OTHER thread, was to see if anyone had a direct 'offical' example proving it wrong, which to date nobody has been able to provide. I fully understand everyone belives that you dont (and again belive the itnent is you dont myself), however, as written you do... (poor editting / examples).

This thread has NOTHING to do with the 'misconception' thread. As stated at the start of this thread (and Why a seperate thread and NOT in the misconnception thread), this is about, min/,maxxed overcasting and how to limit it.

[quote]Edit: I'm enjoying this thread far too much. Thanks, LO! wink.gif[/quote}

I am glad you are, and looking at it as debate / discussion. atleast I hope that was a serious comment not sarcasm.

A quick sideline on the 'loaded for bear' lets change that to dressed for work.

The sammy is NOT going to the meet, with all that, most likely is not travelling around downtown with all that, is not naked in bed with all that.

The mage in your example is.

The sammy probaly normally is packing a few pistols, maybe a SMG, coming up with the damage with one of those gets alot harder.

Also I am not generally one of the 'mages' are overpowered (expecially since my preferred play style is mage followed my Mystic Adept, followed by an Adept, followed by a rigger. So not mana envy smile.gif I personally do find myself often a little 'overpowered' but then again am usually smart enough to arrange things in my favor (as a player) and am pretty sure if I was playing a sammy in SR4, I would feel pretty much the same way smile.gif

I do feel though that HIGH overcasting is a little too strong.

Sure the sammy can do a full burts and up his base damage by a huge amount.

The mage can 'overcast' to bumped his damage by a huge amount..

the difference is the sammy is taking a noticable hit is his chance to succeed to do so (recoil) and paying signficantly more to do so (ammo)

the mage does 'pay' more for doing so (drain), though then while MAGIC can need heal overcasting drain, First Aid is a VITAL skill for any mage (or idally a friend of the mage) (unless you house rule that out, which I am considering that NOTHING but time can heal drain)

However, the mage doesnt lose any 'chance' to succeed. That the sammy is getting.

Another possible 'hamper' to high end overcasting. Use the force rules as listed.... however: When overcating for for every two full points of force over you magic, subtract lose one die from your spell casting pool. (effectinvely 'recoil')

I would allow cenering to offset this (like most die pool penalties) and wuld even consider possible foci to elimnate this (recoil mods) and to get around the 'only one foci can add dice' techcnially the foci do not ADD dice, the remove penalties so no harm smile.gif They would count against the maximum number of active foci, have to be bought, bound, etc...

My biggest problem with the above is it limits non-combat spells, where force DOESNT make them directly more powerful, but just harder to dispell and potentially more powerful. so weakens them some.

I would rather 'limit' the force on combat spells, then weaken ALL magic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012