Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Multi-tasking Adept Power...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Triggerz
QUOTE (Xenith)
While I wish the opposite were true, I don't think multi-tasking should be used in such a way. Not to mention that you don't get that extra free action in combat situations... XD

No, but you can still "Observe in Detail" as a Free Action. I guess you could require the adept to spend a Free Action to focus on the two dots simultaneously. That limitation alone would prevent the bonus to stack with Centering (in combat situations, at least - both could probably apply in a shooting contest, for example, since you do get extra free actions outside of combat situations).
Steak and Spirits
QUOTE (Triggerz)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Oct 27 2006, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits)
Option E - Give the adept a salty fish, and a pint of warm beer.

...actually I prefer Option F: slap the adept with the salty fish, [preferably an Halibut] using Improved ability: Fish Slapping 6, and drink the pint of warm beer.

Under what circumstances could you benefit from 6 levels of Improved Ability (Fish Slapping)? The BBB errata version 1.3 states: "The power increases the rating of a specific Active skill by 1 per level. A skill's maximum modified rating equals its base rating x 1.5." Therefore, with a skill of 4, you would only benefit from 2 levels of Improved Ability, and even with Aptitude and a skill of 7, I do not see how you would benefit from more than 3 levels of Improved Ability for any particular skill. Am I missing something here? biggrin.gif

Yes. You're missing fish.

Mmmm. Fish.

FiiiIIiiiIIIiiIIIiisssshhhhh.
Triggerz
Is the fish attuned? Is it a weapon focus? nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Triggerz)
Is the fish attuned?

Does it really have to be a tuna fish?
Steak and Spirits
It could be. Just for...

...The...

...Halibut? (Ouch?)
lorechaser
He said I'd blown a seal. I said "Just fix the damn thing and leave my personal life out of it."

Jaid
QUOTE (Triggerz)

...actually I prefer Option F: slap the adept with the salty fish, [preferably an Halibut] using Improved ability: Fish Slapping 6, and drink the pint of warm beer.

Under what circumstances could you benefit from 6 levels of Improved Ability (Fish Slapping)? The BBB errata version 1.3 states: "The power increases the rating of a specific Active skill by 1 per level. A skill's maximum modified rating equals its base rating x 1.5." Therefore, with a skill of 4, you would only benefit from 2 levels of Improved Ability, and even with Aptitude and a skill of 7, I do not see how you would benefit from more than 3 levels of Improved Ability for any particular skill. Am I missing something here? biggrin.gif

clearly he's either a dragon or a spirit. or maybe an immortal elf.
Ben
you could just make up a new super-expensive special smartgun system, that is meant to be used with two weapons.
i'd say like 1500 nuyen.gif for the new system (as an upgrade needing smartguns on both weapons, and requiring Response to run on the commlink), that gives an overall +2, as if the two guns were just on weapon (therefore, the +2 has to be split in two dice pools, giving +1 to each gun at the end).
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Triggerz)

...Yeah, I was thinking SR3 (#&*$! SR4 skill caps, takes the fun out of everything).
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Triggerz @ Oct 28 2006, 09:30 AM)

...only attuned since it would fall apart after repeated blows and rot after time (unless it was kept frozen, but then, that could increase the base DV).
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Ben)
you could just make up a new super-expensive special smartgun system, that is meant to be used with two weapons.
i'd say like 1500 nuyen.gif for the new system (as an upgrade needing smartguns on both weapons, and requiring Response to run on the commlink), that gives an overall +2, as if the two guns were just on weapon (therefore, the +2 has to be split in two dice pools, giving +1 to each gun at the end).

...hmm...

I wonder if this would work with fish? KK does have Ambidexterity.
Ben
perhaps with attuned tuna only...
Kyoto Kid
...potted or fresh?
Ophis
QUOTE (Triggerz)

What skill do you use to make fish? it's important for the test to attune the fish...
Triggerz
You're right. Attuned sushi then? With Cooking as the skill? Getting hit has never been so delicious. nyahnyah.gif
Steak and Spirits
Mmmm. Sushi. I think this thread has taken attune for the better...
wilcoxon
Just do it the simple way. Toss out that garbage rule. There is no reason that someone (with practice) could not effectively use two guns with laser sights or smartlinks. At the absolute worst, I'd cut the bonuses in half or only cut the off-hand in half. That's one of the few non-Matrix rules I read and thought "WTF?".
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Triggerz)
Unless you have an answer to my second question: what *else* can you use that power for?

Frankly, until the cyberware version of this power comes out (the encephalon will probably do this), I can hardly imagine making a Hacker character WITHOUT this. Being able to observe in detail as a free action means that using the analyze program to keep on top of things just became so much easier. So long as you aren't in cybercombat, all those extra free actions mean you are just full of knowledge. Additionally, you can split your attention between multiple nodes easier. I am going to ask my GM to house rule in the encephalon as a cyber multi-tasker so I don't have to play a hacker adept.

The drone rigger is even more fun. Go read up on drone control to see just how many things are free actions. And you'll continue to get them because so long as you aren't jumped into a drone, you aren't "directly" participating in the combat.

By the power's rules as I read it, you couldn't use it to get the bonus from smartlink while dual weilding because it doesn't work as well when a character is in combat. At least, you lose the extra free actions when your character is in combat.
Triggerz
How hard can it be to follow two dots at once? I'm not talking about reading two novels at the same time. Two f***ing dots in your field of vision!?!?! indifferent.gif How hard can it be to keep track of both?

Oh! Well... I don't like the power, but you make pretty decent suggestions for it though.
lorechaser
The rule is really there for game balance. If you allow smartgun links on both guns, which would apply after the dice pool was split, two gun fighting becomes better in almost every circumstance than single gun fighting.

Given the number of things that you can add on after your "dice pool", you could shoot two guns with 1-2 less dice than a single gun. It becomes foolish to use anything else.

wilcoxon
QUOTE (lorechaser)
The rule is really there for game balance. If you allow smartgun links on both guns, which would apply after the dice pool was split, two gun fighting becomes better in almost every circumstance than single gun fighting.

Given the number of things that you can add on after your "dice pool", you could shoot two guns with 1-2 less dice than a single gun. It becomes foolish to use anything else.

How's that? I can't think of a single thing that adds to firing two weapons more/differently than firing a single weapon.

Currently, the ultimate weapon seems to be a pair of Ruger Super Warhawks with ambidexterity - firing once per IP each - you get two shots made at 6P base with *lots* of dice each shot (dice below = total dice including smartlink for firing one weapon) with no penalties.

Firing two pistols, you get 4 attacks at 5P base with (dice-2)/2 dice per attack. Unless you're just clearing putzes, you're almost never better off doing that. Allowing smartlink would give dice/2+1 per attack (or dice/2 if giving smartlink at half).
Butterblume
QUOTE (wilcoxon)
Currently, the ultimate weapon seems to be a pair of Ruger Super Warhawks with ambidexterity - firing once per IP each - you get two shots made at 6P base with *lots* of dice each shot (dice below = total dice including smartlink for firing one weapon) with no penalties.

I'll laugh at you, standing 61m away and gunning you down with my SMG.

My point: there is no ultimate weapon in SR4.

Btw: Without ambidexterity you only loose 2 dice on your off-hand. Not really that bad if you are good at shooting, so everybody good at shooting can potentially use 2 weapons.
lorechaser
Indeed. You're much better off with any of the 5p SMGs, which can also be dual wielded.

Fire short wide bursts with each one, to reduce the number of dodge dice the defense rolls by 2, because that's where you're going to have problems - getting enough successes to get the hit. You then get your DV added on. With gas-vent 3, you aren't taking any recoil penalties. You can use Ex-Ex or Stick n' Shock ammo for best results....

PlatonicPimp
The dual weilding gun bunny in my group used a different tactic.

Nothing in the rules says you have to split your dice pool evenly. So she would use 1 die with the first shot. The second shot would use the rest of her pool, and the target had a -1 to their dodge test because of the multiple dodge rule. Her second simple action would then do the same thing. Shot 3 with 1 die gave a -2 to the dodge pool, and shot 4 would use her dice pool -1, while the target was dodging with -3.

She also had hella initiative passes, so if the target didn't get a rest before her next pass, she'd then use wide long bursts on the sucker, and usually leave them with no dodge pool at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012