Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: standard equipment for typical Lone Star officer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
zero skill LPB
What are the typical items a Lone Star officer would carry while on duty?
What about beat cop vs. plain clothes officer? Detective?
What about additional gear in the squad car?

Thanks.
fistandantilus4.0
IMO
Ruger Thunderbolt
Armored jacket
sunglasses w/ smartgunlink, lowlight vision
camera - cyber,glasses, mounted somewhere
spare pistol
popper of Jazz (combat drug)
handcuffs
stunbaton and/or gloves
encrypted commlink/radio
credstick reader/ID verification
STIM patch

If they have a car, toss in a shotgun, medkit, magemask, general crash equipment (flares, etc).
Blade
There are some samples cops p275 of the BBB.

With non burst-firing guns being able to do something in SR4, maybe they don't need to be equipped with Thunderbolts. Tasers (or Stick&Shock ammo) are also really nice and useful.
I don't think the Jazz is too common, I seem to remember (but maybe I'm wrong) that the Lone Star dropped it because of its side effects. But some cops may still have some handy.
Credstick Readers aren't that useful know that credstick are limited to carrying money. Now, they just remotely scan with AR.
And I'd add grenades (partly because I'm fond of them) such as CS/Tear gas.
It's a shame that it doesn't exist in SR (as far as I know) but vomiting-inducer stun baton ala Minority Report would be great.

It also depends on the area and on how you want the cops to look. If you want to go for the cyberpunk fully-armored look you can equip them with security armor (with helmet) and SMGs.
Butterblume
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
If they have a car, toss in a shotgun, medkit, magemask, general crash equipment (flares, etc).

Assault rifle instead of or in addition to the shotgun.
X-Kalibur
The Thunderbolt has always been the staple weapon of Lonestar, I don't see why they would change it. It also had rules for it on the side stating that all Lonestar knew exactly how it sounded and looked and would hassle anyone who had one. Somewhat of a balancing point given that it was a really nice sidearm that wasn't very costly... at least Nuyen wise.
fistandantilus4.0
The Salvette Guardian was a good option instead of the Thunderbolt, but IIRC, it was a comples action to use it's burst fire. I love it when a player gets all excited about getting their new big bang bang, starts getting their gun off, and the Star comes down on them like a ton of bricks. A good lesson learned there.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
The Salvette Guardian was a good option instead of the Thunderbolt, but IIRC, it was a comples action to use it's burst fire. I love it when a player gets all excited about getting their new big bang bang, starts getting their gun off, and the Star comes down on them like a ton of bricks. A good lesson learned there.

You have no idea how much I loved the Savalette Guardian. But yeah, the burst fire on it was a Complex action, I did use it to down a nice big troll in one burst however.

I think the 'Star gets underestimated alot, in numbers they can pose a problem for even the most prime of runners, and they aren't lemmings either.
Mistwalker
I have them use laser sights on their pistols (either a manhunter or a thunderbolt if/when I stat it out).

The reason for the laser sights is that it is more intimidating for a perp to suddenly have several little red dots floating on his chest and head. If you are using smart linked weapons, there is no (or less) intimidation factor.

The SWAT team (HTR or whatever you want to call it), has smart weapons. Thought, even there, sometime the sniper has a laser sight mounted on top for intimidation purposes, with the smart link being used for firing the weapon.

Butterblume
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
I think the 'Star gets underestimated alot, in numbers they can pose a problem for even the most prime of runners, and they aren't lemmings either.

Since my response teams and most patrols use at least 2 Citymasters, my players fear the Star again. The Squad Car is for areas where the security is high anyways.

Blade
QUOTE ("X-Kalibur")
The Thunderbolt has always been the staple weapon of Lonestar, I don't see why they would change it.

I don't see why, but that's how it is in the BBB.
For me, the Thunderbolt has always been the gun made so that Lone Star Officer could stand a chance against runner abusing weapon and armor rules.

... And I didn't know it was a staple-gun eek.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Blade)
QUOTE ("X-Kalibur")
The Thunderbolt has always been the staple weapon of Lonestar, I don't see why they would change it.

I don't see why, but that's how it is in the BBB.
For me, the Thunderbolt has always been the gun made so that Lone Star Officer could stand a chance against runner abusing weapon and armor rules.

... And I didn't know it was a staple-gun eek.gif

bu-dum psh!

I got a laugh out of that actually. I'm hoping once Arsenal comes out it will be reintroduced and the day will be saved for Lonestar.
zero skill LPB
Thanks for the responses so far! Keep the replies coming, please.

Checking the BBB (p. 275-276) they do have Armor Jackets, but with Body at 3 they're gonna be suffering encumbrance penalties (p. 149). Keystone cops, anyone? Too funny.

eidolon
QUOTE (Blade)
Credstick Readers aren't that useful know that credstick are limited to carrying money. Now, they just remotely scan with AR.

Wait, what the crap? No, let me take a guess. The rest is on your commlink now?
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Blade)

Wait, what the crap? No, let me take a guess. The rest is on your commlink now?

Yup, ID is on the commlink, which is why they're required to carry.

Which was why I said credstickreader/ID verification

As in - some damn way to verify identification. I'd figure taht would be included in the officer's commlink, but I felt it important enough to sepcifically state.

Besides that, the typical Star beat cop needs a credstick reader to verify funds so that he can accept bribes quicker.
eidolon
Yeah, definitely worth mentioning (and yeah, bribes quicker, heh). Just checking my assumption on SR3/SR4 difference there.
WhiskeyMac
You forgot the most important thing: A Big Ol Can O' Whoop Ass!

I'm sure Jones Soda will still be around by 2070. They'd have to make big cans for orks and trolls anway biggrin.gif
Wakshaani
Standard issue patrolmen?

Heavy Pistol (Thunderbolt, but you can fake it with a Colt Manhunter for now)
1 spare clip of ammo, all of which is standard
Baton (Treat as a club)
Defiance EX Shocker (Taser) ... can use a stunrod instead.
PepperPunch (Five doses) ... basicly a can of Mace.

Armored Vest

Novatech Airware Commlink with Iris Orb O/S
Several Lingasofts at Rating 3 (Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, whatever's appropriate for where stationed)
ID reader with Rating 3 (Please present yoru Fake SIN now.)

MicroTranceiver (Rating 3)

Imagelink Glasses with Flare Compensation
Earbuds (Built in to glasses)

Metal Restraints (2) each with an RFID tag implanted
FirstAid Kit (Or possibly trauma patches)

This is a standard 'Patrol Load', fitting into a budget ... poorer areas probably only have Rating 2 Commlinks and readers.

In the car (Assuming all patrols are two officers in a patrolcar) would be a combat shotgun and a Commlink relay with a bigger Signal. The trunk holds two helmets with Thermographic and vision mag, two fireproof (Rating 3) Riot Shields, 2 fireproof (Rating 3) Armored Jackets, two Tear Gas grenades, two Insulated (Level 3) blankets, 2 chemically resistant (Level 1) ponchos and resperators (leve 1), six microflares, six traffic cones, and a teddy bear in a hermeticly sealed bag.

This allows the officers to gear up for heavy assignments, serve traffic detail, handle adverse weather conditions, and be prepared for domestic disturbances and similar calls. Combat situations, even for Lone Star, are only about 5% of the calls, if that. Shots are fired in roughly 1% of all confrontations (And paperwork sucks)

There are also 'Brute Squads' which patrol in force on foot (Half a dozen officers) or in a CItymaster, which are much more spookily setup, as well as teh SWAT officers and/or High Threat Response Team.

Officers are trained to handle the common street thug, but bitch about being underequiped when facing Trolls, leading to heavy handed responses when Orks or Trolls are involved. They assume that, if they wait, teh larger Metas will do some serious harm, so, they stick the boot in early with tasers and pepper sprays... In short, being an Ork ups your Threat level by 1, while being a Troll ups it by two. Gunfire brings backup fast (Commlinks are left up and running when responding to a mission, so, if gunfire is heard, the dispatcher knows instantly and can call for help) and *everything* is filmed. (In some areas, the Brute Squads have famously unreliable equipment which tends to turn off when Tuskers are involved. Funny that. Guess they need a bigger budget for upgrades.)

When heavier problems are encountered (Ork on PCP!), then teh High Threat Response Team is called in. These guys are cybered, with Smartguns, a handful of Adepts, and spirit backup brought in by an Astral Projecting magician. This level of response is generally held back for Shadowrunners or their level of oomph.

The average Star, tho, isn't all that tricked out.
zero skill LPB
Excellent info. Thanks! This in particular

a teddy bear in a hermeticly sealed bag

initially made me go 'huh?' then, after just a moment of thought, 'duh!' -- a great bit of detail.
Fortune
Gotta agree. Real nice work, Wakshaani. smile.gif
Butterblume
I had a good chuckle about the drop bear in the hermetically sealed bag.

I still advocate the assault rifle. Even today, lots of police forces allow them, even in the US. Today, they are mostly civil or police variants, meaning mostly semi-automatic. In 2070 it's not a great stretch to allow military variants.
hobgoblin
i dont think i get that teddy bear thing.

edit:

ah, butterblume explained it (i think).
never followed that thread so...
Fortune
Alternately, it could just be a real Teddy Bear that could be given to a distressed kid to help calm them down when they are caught up in a frightening situation. wink.gif
Eleazar
Here is a link a great link from pavao.org's Shadowrun Resources page. They have the stats for the Lonestar, Knight Errant, HRTF, Swat, and others.

http://www.pavao.org/shadowrun/cheatsheets...s/SR4Squads.pdf
James McMurray
Most definitely a Panther Assault Cannon.

What? smile.gif
zero skill LPB
QUOTE (Butterblume)
I still advocate the assault rifle. Even today, lots of police forces allow them, even in the US. Today, they are mostly civil or police variants, meaning mostly semi-automatic. In 2070 it's not a great stretch to allow military variants.

As patrol car issue, totally. Shotgun in that locked collar thingie in the cab, rifle in the trunk.

I've recently taken to watching Dallas SWAT ( http://www.aetv.com/dallas_swat/ for those interested parties - not great, but fun enough to merit Tivoing ) and seeing those officers casually handle their (.223?) rifles is a beautiful/sobering thing.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (zero skill LPB @ Oct 27 2006, 03:26 PM)
I've recently taken to watching Dallas SWAT ( http://www.aetv.com/dallas_swat/ for those interested parties - not great, but fun enough to merit Tivoing ) and seeing those officers casually handle their (.223?) rifles is a beautiful/sobering thing.

There's also that tv show on Discovery channel, the fugitive task force in las vegas where they follow either US marshals, North Las Vegas SWAT, or some bounty hunters.

What tickled me pink (where the heck did that term come from?) was when I recognized the EOTECH holographic sights on their MP5's. Very similar setup to my rifle. Though what really looks sweet is adding the sight on top of my black fs2000 rifle.
James McMurray
On a more serious note I'd say don't give them set gear. Instead go by the "would they reasonably have it" method. Otherwise you either end up with a giant list or you miss something that should have been blatantly obvious.

The only time this would be a problem is if the players for some reason decide they want to start attacking cops with the intent to loot. But if this happens you've got much bigger issues than a gear list.
ChicagosFinest
I remeber reading in SOTA 64' that the Star is afraid of runners and they will most often call in fast respnce teams to handle runners. Remember the stigma runners get as uber baddies to the public eye and the two patrol cops who dont have magic back-up and families at home.

They report it in and keep the hell away abd ket the professionals handle it.

My suggestion: Lone star source book for the skinny on what they carry and convert it to SR4.
zero skill LPB
The list is useful for my nefarious purposes (bwahaha!).

I'm having the players make members of a strike team ala The Shield. I'm requiring the PCs maintain a set of 'standard' gear (regardless whether they use it or not) and it looks like it'll all fit inside a single BP. No worries.
zero skill LPB
My suggestion: Lone star source book for the skinny on what they carry and convert it to SR4.

I've looked into that, but I only see used copies for $30+ on ebay/amazon. Not so interested in that.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Fortune)
Alternately, it could just be a real Teddy Bear that could be given to a distressed kid to help calm them down when they are caught up in a frightening situation. wink.gif

Bingo.

Handy for domestic dispute fallout, live-fire rescues, kidnapping, or even just "Lost kid in teh street" situations.

Firefighters generally keep one or two on hand in their trucks as well, BTW, to give to kids when a house burns down.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)

...man I love that stuff, usually down a couple each gaming session.

The name says it all.

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
I'm sure Jones Soda will still be around by 2070. They'd have to make big cans for orks and trolls anway biggrin.gif

For trolls, it comes in the handy 55 gal drum. size...

...with a straw
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)

...man I love that stuff, usually down a couple each gaming session.

The name says it all.

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)

For trolls, it comes in the handy 55 gal drum. size...

...with a straw

... A bendy straw.
Critias
To a troll, every straw is bendy. To a troll that's strong enough almost everything is bendy.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Critias)
To a troll, every straw is bendy. To a troll that's strong enough almost everything is bendy.

And for some insane reason, this made me think of a Troll getting "Girl Drink Drunk".

Which lead to me thinking about a Troll sipping from a cocanut from a straw, with lil' flowers on the side.

Which somehow turned into a giggly "Anime Schoolgirl" Troll.

So now I have this mental picture of some doe-eyed teenaged Troll hacker whose VR persona is a cute lil' anime type, who finally agrees to meet a hacker she met online, who expects cutegirl2000 but, instead, gets a TrollGlomp.

At 6 AM, the brain, it does strange things.
Fortune
QUOTE (Wakshaani)

Sure, blame it on the time. That'll work. wink.gif biggrin.gif
Wakshaani
While I'm here, I should detail some of the other things that we've had pop up over the years ... the most successful was the "Tusk and Ears" team. Lonestar was being called on the metahuman bias that was pretty evident in the field, and finally decided to act on it by forming "Tusk and Ears" teams. One Ork, one Elf, one car. They did the basic car patrol work, but were on call for Metahuman-related calls (Usually domestic disturbances or basic crime reports) ... and were specially trained in psychology and acting (Psych 3, Con 2). The basics were simple ... replace the image of a thuggish human who wanted to blow you off with a sympathetic face. To play it up a bit, the opposite number would play to stereotypes, to ingratiate the positive closer. That is to say, if they were called in to an upscale Elven home, to take notes on a reported burglar who'd been scared off, the Elf would take a sympathetic role while the Ork would come across more brutish and snuffling over fancy art, vases, etc. The 'Bad cop' to the Elven 'Good cop', who the civilian would be more likely to trust. When in an orkish area (For example, to report on a Humanis hate crime where a clinic was spraypainted), teh Elf would act a bit more 'hoity' and distant, possibly complaining about the smell, and so forth, letting the Orks see past the badge and trust teh Ork cop enough to give more detail (Thus teh Elf was the 'Bad cop' and teh Ork the 'Good cop'.)

These patrols were a smash hit, but are still limited in number, with promotions out of them pretty rare (To detective, but higher is still hard ... glass ceilings, what a bitch). Due to their 'Social Justice' aspects, Tusk and Ears patrols are a bit more vulnerable to working with Shadowrunners, but only on a case-by-case basis. Should a Runner be known for Hooding, or working to defend a Metahuman community, the Tusk and Ears patrol would try to track them down at some stage, to have a chat, and, just maybe, talk about helping one another out in the future (Mmmm, contacts!). Those that preyed on these same communities, or were more inclined for simple B&E jobs or wetwork would get no such approach and treated like any other crook.

Tusk and Ears teams have standard Lonestar loadouts, despite being often sent into some truly low-rent areas. They trust good communication skills and a good street reputation to keep them safe, often bending rules to better situate themselves. In partcular, they *do* go in for crime calls to the area, despite the lack of a profit margin, to help. This was grumbled about at higher levels, but the guys in marketing found that it was great PR, so it's allowed to continue, so long as it doesn't get out of hand.
Critias
Neat idea.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Wakshaani)
QUOTE (Critias @ Oct 28 2006, 09:56 AM)
To a troll, every straw is bendy.  To a troll that's strong enough almost everything is bendy.

And for some insane reason, this made me think of a Troll getting "Girl Drink Drunk".

Which lead to me thinking about a Troll sipping from a cocanut from a straw, with lil' flowers on the side.

Which somehow turned into a giggly "Anime Schoolgirl" Troll.

So now I have this mental picture of some doe-eyed teenaged Troll hacker whose VR persona is a cute lil' anime type, who finally agrees to meet a hacker she met online, who expects cutegirl2000 but, instead, gets a TrollGlomp.

...damn, you just gave me a good charater concept to go with my Troll Face Adept, Babydoll. I'll have to fire up the ol charater generator after I'm done here.
Wakshaani
Got a whole storehouse fo characters and contacts up in my noggin. Still a fan of Olga Kranpirsdottior, aka "The Lady Sif" .... she's a Giant from Wisconsin with classic Nordic features (Blonde hair, blue eyes, 3 meters tall ... the usual) who was picked up to do a few guest spots on "Thor, God of Thunder", which later became "Thor and the Aesir" and, later still, her own spinoff, "Sif, Warrior Goddess" ... sadly, Winternight pretty much killed her career. She moved to Seattle (Had family there and was too well known in Wisconsin), and started to run her own meeting house for Trolls. The whole place is scaled up for Troll sized people to have a nice meal, something to drink, even has a "Big and Troll" clothing store attached, plus furniture. There are a couple of "Kiddie tables" for humans, mind you.

Does good biz, really nice lady, keeps swords and axes around the walls on display, plus memorabelia from her SimActing career. Place has never been robbed... seems that twenty or more Trolls in one place, having a nice night out, is a tad intimiating for Joe the Average Robber. She still goes by "Sif", since it's prettier than 'Olga', but no longer dyes her hair black.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Wakshaani)
While I'm here, I should detail some of the other things that we've had pop up over the years ... the most successful was the "Tusk and Ears" team. Lonestar was being called on the metahuman bias that was pretty evident in the field, and finally decided to act on it by forming "Tusk and Ears" teams. One Ork, one Elf, one car.

That's actually a really nifty idea...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012