Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would you allow PC's to play magical threats?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hyzmarca
No, it wouldn't be x/6^600. In actuality, it would be [1/6^(600-n)]*[1/3^n] where n is the number of dice that have to succeed but that don't have to get the rule of 6. This is oversimplified, unfortunately.

You should remember that the probability of any die coming up 6 is 1/6 so the probability of all die coming up 6 is 1/6^m where m is the number of dice. 6^m gives you the number of possible combinations when order matters and since only 1 combination can be all 6s the probability of that is 1/6^m. In the case of the rule of 6, the last dice only have to be 5. Assuming that you only gain the exact number of dice that you need the above equation is correct.

Basically, you probability will usually be (the number of successful results)/(the number of possible results)

Good point about the 600. Make it a fireball, instead. It doesn't require LOS and is resisted like a ranged attack. It also has the advantage of pretty much leveling a 4.5 square kilometer area.
Wanderer
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Bringing back the old ghoul rules, specifically those concerning ghouls that can pass for normal metahumans, asymptomatic carriers, and infection may make come characters think twice about using Cannibalize and Sacrificing on random enemies.

Huh?

While the disease rules are strangelly missing from the big basic book, and catching diseases is the #1 reason to not eat people in the real world, Ghoul Transformation is in no way a limitting factor on anything.

First off, if you happen to be eating people anyway and have access to Increase Willpower, becoming a Ghoul isn't a problem. But more importantly, the old rules had a vaccine you could take after you were exposed to Ghoul Transformation Viruses that would 100% allow you to stay human forever.

"You might turn into a ghoul!" has never been a meaningful stick to hold over the heads of the PCs. "You might catch Kuru and fucking die of spongiform encephalopathy!" is a pretty good stick to hold over the heads of would-be canibals.

-Frank

Smart users of Cannibalize drink blood. Less messy, quicker to do, and prion diseases aren't transmitted by blood.

nyahnyah.gif nyahnyah.gif nyahnyah.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Plus you stil have room for a Cinnabon later.
Wakshaani
Quick question while Insect Shaman questions are flitting about ...

Why are Spider Mentors for normal magicians, rather than a Spider Insect Shaman?

If only because I have two players who are *really* skeeved out by spiders and dropping some Force 3 Insects on 'em wound get the right reaction from the team. smile.gif

-- Wak, composed of chocolate, but with a thin coat of evil.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Wakshaani)

Why are Spider Mentors for normal magicians, rather than a Spider Insect Shaman?

If only because I have two players who are *really* skeeved out by spiders and dropping some Force 3 Insects on 'em wound get the right reaction from the team. smile.gif

Because spiders are arachnids, not insects. They're completely different things. Spider is more closely related to Scorpion than any Insect. Spider seems to actively oppose the Insect Totems and tends to choose magicians who were hurt by the Invae and desire retribution.

But, if you really want to get technical, Spider was, at one time, a bit extreme in her views. She created inhabitation merges (personally, without the assistance of any shaman) and used them to launch some nuclear missiles in an attempt to cause widespread destruction. However, Sam "I'm not a munchkin, really" Verner knocked some sense into her and she's really mellowed out since then. (Yes, he fought a Totem and won.)
Chandon
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
But, if you really want to get technical, Spider was, at one time, a bit extreme in her views.

This whole situation is interesting, in that it makes spider the only totem that, in cannon, is a clearly defined specific entity with an objectively consistent personal agenda. Depending on how you want to look at totems, they may all work this way in your game, but the potential difference with a "totems are a largely psycological result of cultural reflection on magic" theory of totems could make for some interesting storylines in the right game.
Wanderer
QUOTE (Wakshaani)

Personally I explain it by the fact that the Spider archetype has accumulated a large amount of mythological lore that has made possible for the Totem to have a non-destructive relationship with humanity. It gives it a mask human mystics can understand and reason with. This hasn't happen for any Insect figure.

Or alternatively, since Invae spirits seem to be something quite different in anture from Mentor spirits, and the 10 classic spirit categories, who seem to be an embodiment of natural and human qualities, while Invae are more akin to Horrors and shedim, rapacious extradimensional "aliens", such belief has *created* a Mentor spirit, which stands as a barrier against the Invae subtype that resemble it.
ThreeGee
Smart users of Cannibalize drink blood. Less messy, quicker to do, and prion diseases aren't transmitted by blood.

Tell that to the families of nCJD victims who caught it through blood transfusions.
knasser

Spider just has too much personality to be a bug spirit. There's a long mythological history of Spider running through many cultures. It just works to have her as something more individual.
FrankTrollman
Less messy, quicker to do, and prion diseases aren't transmitted by blood.

Wow. Just wow. Next you'l tell me that you can avoid pregnancy by douching with pepsi, or perhaps you can avoid rabies by biting the dog right back?

Holy crap. Prions are malformed proteins, if you consume a portion of another creature that contains proteins, you can potentially get a prion in that manner. Now, blood hasrelatively few proteins in it comparatively, and the nastiest prions are generally limited to the nervous system. But you can get prion diseases that way. Hell, they recently managed to transmit chronic wasting disease through herds of deer via saliva, and that's less proteinalicious still.

So sure, blood drinking is safer than eating the brains of fallen opponents - but so is playing mumbeldepeg. That doesn't mean that Elmer the Safety Elephant approves.

-Frank
Wanderer
Sorry for the mistake. It's kuru that is only transmitted by eating brain. It's how it was discovered. I'll have to do a bit of research. I wasn't aware there had been cases of human CJD transmitted by blood transfusions. By contamination with bits of nervous system (contaminated brain needles, infected donors of human growth hormon _extracted by corpse brains_), yes.
fistandantilus4.0
Without the dash of spicy sarcasm next time please. The flavor is much more agreeable.
ThreeGee
Sorry for the mistake.

Don't worry about it, I'm a UKer, so prion diseases are a little more relevant to me than others...

<<stumbles sideways into computer>>

dead.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012