Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RL] Mob War - France
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fistandantilus4.0
Camorra fighting for control of the drug trade. Good tie - in for Shadows of Europe mob struggles.
Butterblume
Camorra is italian, not french...

Edit: Heard in the news today the italian government is sending an additional 1000 police. Haven't checked, but that will most likely be Carabinieri, italians paramilitary police force. (another edit: the article states this already biggrin.gif).
fistandantilus4.0
yup, the article is about the camorra. The brewing war is starting in France, but Italy has lots goign on, just lower key.

Over the past few weeks the suburbs of Naples have turned into a battle zone, as rival clans within the Mafia, known as the Camorra, battle for control of the drug trade.

Butterblume
I still don't get the french connection wink.gif.

This is a good example how a major country (Italy is a G8 state) can't cope effectively with gang violence one a greater scale.
Grinder
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Camorra is italian, not french...

Edit: Heard in the news today the italian government is sending an additional 1000 police. Haven't checked, but that will most likely be Carabinieri, italians paramilitary police force. (another edit: the article states this already biggrin.gif).

No, they'll gonna send soliders of the army. But most experts doubt that it will have a real impact on hte mob war. Besides, last year had a slightly higher body count than this year.
fistandantilus4.0
Also reminds me of Boondock Saints. High body count in just a few days, mob war blamed.
Butterblume
QUOTE (Grinder)
No, they'll gonna send soliders of the army.

Technically, the Carabinieri are part of the military, and therefore could be called soldiers, while they are still police.
I don't really know if those reporters know enough to to actually report the facts...

I don't want to be a wise-ass, but I don't think the concept of national (para)military police forces is that well known, especially outside of europe.

Snow_Fox
What the article is missing is that the mafia is on the ropes. The italian government has been squeezing them successfully for the last few years. The reason this is getting violent now is that they are fighting for a larger piece of a shrinking pie.
fistandantilus4.0
There were some interesting related link stories there too, some with stories about exactly what the police are doing, what the situation is like. good stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012