Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
SamVDW
I'm running into problems with running for the Technomancer in my group. The Technomancer seems to take up a ton of gameplay time compared to the rest of the group. When he's in the Matrix searching for info or cracking into a place, there is basically nothing the other players can do except for sit around and wait till he's done. Last gaming session the others basically had to wait an hour of REAL time for him to do something. But in gametime, it only took a few minutes. It just seems too time consuming.

Secondly, it seems like some things are too easy too do in the Matrix. Data Search rolls don't seem like a matter of skill, they seem like a matter of time. Just keep rolling until you get the proper amount of successes and the GM has to tell you the info.

How can you effectively GM for a Technomancer without leaving the group out? It just seems to time-consuming and wasteful to me to even deal with.
Serbitar
Look in my SGM and my SGP in my sig for ways how to deal with the matrix, open ended tests and such things.

Some hints: Restrict open ended tests to skill+1 rolls. Make matrix runs short, just a few standard dice rolls (if the stuff is not really important), try to generalize things.
fistandantilus4.0
you could also have other runners 'hitch a ride', similar to last eidtions hitcher jacks. Have him keep them updated so they can make decisions as a group.
Konsaki
Ok, this first line is my opinion, but if your technomancer is doing the matrix junk himself, then he is either playing gimp or spent alot of BP on CFs.
Personally, I play my TM as a sprite master. If I need to crack into a node, I just make a crack sprite and have it do the work while I hang out in the real world. I do the same for if I need some other task done, like data searches, decrypting, editing, yada yada.

If your player starts doing that, then you can just take into account that the sprite has 2x its rating in dice for any roll and just fudge the rolls. If he wants to crack into a node, have his sprite take 3-6 seconds and tell him if there was an alarm triggered or not. If he is smart and has his sprite create an account profile in the node's registry, the TM could just log on as normal after that and then do whatever he can with his account clearance.
Personally, I always go for a Admin level account so I have full power over the system and whatnot. It also lets most actions be legal instead of hacking and you dont have to roll them for the most part.

The best part about using Sprites to do the work for you is that the TM can continue talking or whatever in the meat world and no one would be the wiser. Just have a 3 second pause in the TM talking and there you go, sprite created and sent to do whatever. The only problem with that is, if the TM takes damage from compiling a sprite, it has meat effects that people might pick up on. Stun damage = wincing and instant headache, maybe with some heavy breathing. Physical damage - hasnt come up, but I'm guessing bleeding of the nose, eyes and mouth in severe cases.

Oh well, thats my 2 nuyen.gif
Serbitar
Bad idea. Hackers could use rating 6 agents on rating 6 comlinks and make themself mostly useless (and TMs, too, as agents have unlimited services).

Sprites for TMs are broken at the moment, as the registering of sprites does not take any resources except time. Spirits on the other hand, cost money.

Thus, most TMs, underpowered as they are, rely on pure sprite power. Two broken rule mechanisms that fix each other, but that does not make it good.
Konsaki
If your GM has you running up against rating 6 commlinks with rating 6 sprites on it, something is wrong, unless you are in a high end game.

As for the sprites being broken, they work as it is. Not costing anything make sense if you think about the fact of, how is something in the physical realm going to effect the digital realm like that? OK, I have this pile of X at my feet that I need to register a sprite. OK, now I'm full VR in a virtual setting and the Pile of X is just sitting there at my feet. I dont see it doing anything to help or hurt me in the act of registering the sprite.
Its not like a sprite is a tangeble thing, like a spirit is. Plus you can bind up to a rank 12 spirit (I salute you if you have the balls to do so), but you max out at 8 for Sprites. (I have no idea why 8 instead of 12)

Yeah, TMs use sprites for the most part because it plays to their strenghts and protects their weaknesses. (The fact that their health bars are the same and that they need an assload of karma to play a TM just like a hacker)
One thing that Sprites have over agents is the fact that they dont reduce response on the node they are on. And if destroyed, they can be compiled again in just 1 IP. I'm pretty sure Agents are scrapped or something. (Havent read too much into them since I dont use them)
Blade
Searching for info : Consider it the same way you consider the face when he's searching for info on the streets. Do you play every encounter ? Do yo describe everyone he's talking to, do you role play entire conversations ? No, you just roll Charisma+Etiquette and give some info depending on the number of hits. It's the same for the Technomancer looking for info on the Matrix, if you don't want to spend time doing this just have him roll Logic + Data Search (or Data Search + Browse if searching specifically on the Matrix) and decide what he finds out depending on his successes.

Cracking into a place : If it's not vital, thrilling or interesting, just have him roll Logic + Hacking. If it is, make the matrix run interesting : describe the nodes as you'll describe a building during a B&E, play the hackers and the ICEs as you'll play guards and drones. If you do it right, the players will listen to you as they listen to what happens to the rigger when he's on the highway, chased by the Lone Star and 3 gangs.
If you want the other player to interact, you can have them go with the technomancer, or even have them play the sprites.

If the other players do something in the same time, split your time between each one of them. This way, they'll have time to think about their next move while you're busy with another player. If the other players don't do anything, find them something to do : be it planning or just some roleplay (the discussion they had this morning before the meeting, while they were waiting for the technomancer (who was late) to come)
For example, the team is working on a way to break inside a factory. The technomancer is trying to break into the matrix system of the factory. You consider this matrix system to be too important to play this just by rolling a Logic+Hacking test, so you decide to play the entire scene. Let the other player discuss the plan while you deal with the technomancer.

Every kind of character has his own parts : the face does the negociation, the mage goes in the astral plane, the streetsam plays 2/3 of the combat scenes, the hackers goes in the matrix. The solutions are the same each time : resolve it quickly with some rolls, make it interesting so that the other players are interested and listen to what happens, split your time between each player.

For extended test, you can limit the number of rolls you allow for a test : maybe the information cannot be found, no matter how hard you search, maybe the technomancer isn't good enough to find it, maybe he just get frustrated and gives up after 5 hours, maybe he has to wait for people to answer on the BBS he asked... You're the GM, you don't have to blindly follow the rules.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Konsaki)

If your GM has you running up against rating 6 commlinks with rating 6 sprites on it, something is wrong, unless you are in a high end game.

I was talking rating 6 agents on rating 6 comlinks, and that is pretty much standard for a runner group. Prices are low, availability is moderate.
A hacker will definately have this after his first couple of runs.

As for the sprites being broken, they work as it is. Not costing anything make sense if you think about the fact of, how is something in the physical realm going to effect the digital realm like that? OK, I have this pile of X at my feet that I need to register a sprite. OK, now I'm full VR in a virtual setting and the Pile of X is just sitting there at my feet. I dont see it doing anything to help or hurt me in the act of registering the sprite.
Its not like a sprite is a tangeble thing, like a spirit is. Plus you can bind up to a rank 12 spirit (I salute you if you have the balls to do so), but you max out at 8 for Sprites. (I have no idea why 8 instead of 12)

You can have only have so many sprites, but you can have unlimited services.
And please do not underestimate the matrix. The matrix rivals if not surpases the power of mages in SR4. You can control everything you want.

Yeah, TMs use sprites for the most part because it plays to their strenghts and protects their weaknesses. (The fact that their health bars are the same and that they need an assload of karma to play a TM just like a hacker)
One thing that Sprites have over agents is the fact that they dont reduce response on the node they are on. And if destroyed, they can be compiled again in just 1 IP. I'm pretty sure Agents are scrapped or something. (Havent read too much into them since I dont use them)

At the moment TMs are nothing but empty hulls that register sprites all day long. They can do NOTHING else. Every starting hacker eats a TM for breakfast, twice.
Agents are not scrapped. And you can buy a seperate comlink to run multiple agents at the same time.

Facts:
Agents rating 5-6 make hackers almost superfluous
TMs are severly underpowered
Sprite registration is out of bounds

Fixes:
Cap agents at 4
let TMs buy complex forms like spells on resonance rating
cap maximum number of services a sprite can owe at resonance
Serbitar
QUOTE (Blade @ Nov 3 2006, 06:43 AM)

Cracking into a place : If it's not vital, thrilling or interesting, just have him roll Logic + Hacking.

Inconsistent. You can not let a hacker roll logic+hacking, when a standard hack would never involve logic at all.

A short roll should, at least in principle, provide roughly the same result as a lengthy hack procedure. At the bare minimum it should use about the same attributes, skills and programs.

Maybe somebody should program a GM tool for shortcutting "standard" hacking runs. For the output, there is already "randomjoe" (though it is german . . .)
Draconis
QUOTE (Serbitar)
And please do not underestimate the matrix. The matrix rivals if not surpases the power of mages in SR4. You can control everything you want.

Uh if you say so. Last time I checked mana was everywhere but space and a few exceptions of background count and mana voids. The matrix is not as ubiquitous as some would like to believe.

Send me a sprite and i'll send you a fire elemental. nyahnyah.gif

Silly Technos.
PirateChef
Agreed. My sprites are of very little use when I'm looking down the barrel of your Pred IV. Yes, I know I could have a machine sprite hack your commlink to gain access to your smartlink and eject your clip, or mess with the targeting, but when it comes down to it, you pull hte trigger, I die.
Serbitar
@draconis:

A spirit can only kill you, which would be very obviously murder.
A sprite/agent/hacker can convince your wife that you cheated her, fire you, take away all your money, put you on a ciminal list, print in the local newspaper that you do it with goats, send in the bug hunters 10 times a day, deliver 100kg of apheshit to your flat, drive you over with a car, control your comlink and cyberware, whatch you through the cameras and sensors of your own house. ando so on . . .
Serbitar
QUOTE (PirateChef @ Nov 3 2006, 08:24 AM)
Agreed.  My sprites are of very little use when I'm looking down the barrel of your Pred IV.  Yes, I know I could have a machine sprite hack your commlink to gain access to your smartlink and eject your clip, or mess with the targeting, but when it comes down to it, you pull hte trigger, I die.

same goes for spirits, whats the point?
Blade
QUOTE ("Serbitar")
Inconsistent. You can not let a hacker roll logic+hacking, when a standard hack would never involve logic at all.

A face may have to use intimidation, negociation, con or disguise when he's gathering information on the streets, but if you don't want to spend too much time, you just ask him a charisma+etiquette test.

I also consider that Logic is useful when hacking. I often ask hacker for Logic+Hacking tests. After all, there's a reason why Hacking is linked with Logic. Of course, you can add some modifiers according to the average programs rating. This also helps preventing script-kiddies and agents from being the best hackers ever.

QUOTE ("Serbitar")
Agents rating 5-6 make hackers almost superfluous

Agents rating 5-6 don't have any logic : you can fool them by exploiting some weaknesses their program will fall for.
Also, commercial agents aren't made for hacking. If you want a hacking agent, you'll need to find someone willing to sell you one : either a military/corp hacking agent or the agent of another hacker. Either way you better double check the code if you don't want any bad surprises and that'll take some time.

QUOTE ("Serbitar")
Cap agents at 4

This way ICE won't be a problem for hackers...

As for technomancer, there is much to do about them but I don't have time right now. Maybe later.
Serbitar
With RAW the agents do not care about what programm they use. And a rating 6 agent is definately not stupid but a highly developed expert program (though still a programe and not sentient).

Give IC auto reality filter in their home system (upping the rating by one) and there you go.

Id very much like to hear your ideas for TMs.
Blade
For sure, rating 6 agents aren't basic stupid programs, but they still are programs and act the way they are programmed to (I don't think agent can learn (at least for now... spin.gif), or they'd be AI). So most security system will be upgraded several time a day to counteract new agents. So, if you don't update yourself (or get updates for) your agent before sending it to attack a node, he'll likely fail while a hacker will still be able to adapt himself to new situations.

For TMs :

First of all, TM lack a lot of description (I guess we'll have to wait Emergeance to get a good idea of what they really are), so GM and TM players have to agree on how they see TM. I know some GM who simply let TM out of their universe, but I think there's a lot that can be done if you work hard enough to make something out of the idea.

This whole roleplay aspect is important when dealing with TM, even on the rule aspect, because it will change the way the TM players will interact with the Matrix and it is what will really make them different from hackers.

For sure even with complex form and threading, at chargen a TM won't be as poweful as a maxed hacker (except that a hacker risks addiction if he abuse of his hot sim +2 dice pool due modifier). But that also prevents the hackers from being totally useless, so one should be cautious when trying to tweak rules.

My take on the whole issue is that you don't consider nor play a hacker the same way as a TM. A TM is at home in the Matrix, he will instinctively feel what hackers will take some time figuring out. A TM will always be aware of what's happening in the Matrix whereas a hacker will have, at least, to glance at some AR display. When hacking a node, a TM will understand things faster, be more aware of his surrondings and things like that. It's mostly roleplay, but that may affect some rolls or what the GM tells the player.
You don't consider the same way a specops infiltrating with a ruthenium polymer vest and a mage using an invisbility spell ? Then don't consider the same way a hacker and a TM.

While a chargen TM may not be as powerful as one could hope, they have access to very powerful sprites. Sprites are the exact Matrix equivalent of spirits : powerful, extremely dangerous when you don't have you own TM/Mage to go against them but also a good way to get the attention of your opponent. Don't forget that TM are rare, strange and well sought after by megacorps. In the Matrix, a TM won't be conspicuous, a sprite will. And if a corp security system report sighting a sprite somewhere, you can be sure that you'll have a lot of people looking for the TM behind this. So sprites are quite like assault choppers : you're quite sure they'll solve your problem but if you want to live long you won't use them all the time.
Konsaki
One thing to note, Blade, is that sprites arnt wearing glowing neon signs that say "I'm a sprite and not an agent." They have a resonance tag on them that shows that they are a sprite and to which TM they belong, but TMs are the only ones that can see and feel the resonance.
When I summon my sprite it could look like a purple dragon, but I could program my agent to look the same way.
Blade
Sure, but their behaviour and efficiency may tag them as "strange and extremely powerful agents needing further investigation". Especially if you use them against a corp node.

PS : Hey South Korea ! I'll spend 4 months there starting march 2007 (but in P'ohang not Kunsan).
Serbitar

For sure, rating 6 agents aren't basic stupid programs, but they still are programs and act the way they are programmed to (I don't think agent can learn (at least for now...  spin.gif), or they'd be AI). So most security system will be upgraded several time a day to counteract new agents. So, if you don't update yourself (or get updates for) your agent before sending it to attack a node, he'll likely fail while a hacker will still be able to adapt himself to new situations.

Negative. This is your invention. There are nor rules for this. You can do it if you want, but per RAW agents are just like hackers with hacking skill= agent rating.

For TMs :

My take on the whole issue is that you don't consider nor play a hacker the same way as a TM. A TM is at home in the Matrix, he will instinctively feel what hackers will take some time figuring out. A TM will always be aware of what's happening in the Matrix whereas a hacker will have, at least, to glance at some AR display. When hacking a node, a TM will understand things faster, be more aware of his surrondings and things like that. It's mostly roleplay, but that may affect some rolls or what the GM tells the player.

Thats the +2 matrix perception dice pool modifier. Not that powerful . . .

You don't consider the same way a specops infiltrating with a ruthenium polymer vest and a mage using an invisbility spell ? Then don't consider the same way a hacker and a TM.

My point is not difference, my point is balancing. TMs ARE different, but also severely undederpowered.

While a chargen TM may not be as powerful as one could hope, they have access to very powerful sprites. Sprites are the exact Matrix equivalent of spirits : powerful, extremely dangerous when you don't have you own TM/Mage to go against them but also a good way to get the attention of your opponent.

As I said: TMs are broken (underpowered), sprites registering is broken (no service restriction except time). Both cancel out and make the TM a "sprite regegistering machiene". I do not think that this was the intention of the rules designers.
Blade
Of course, there aren't rules for everything. There aren't rules to explain that shooting someone in the knee will prevent him from walking. Per RAW someone can survive a shot in the head at point-blank range with a heavy pistol. That's why there's a GM.

Your way to handle things is to houserule, the way I like to do it is to find some explanation that doesn't contradict the rules. It's not written that most nodes have protections against agents, it's not written that they don't, but it sure is written that an agent can exceed rating 4.

Ok, your point is balancing. But do you also want to balance technical tools and mage powers ? You can balance them, up to a level but then you'll have to admit that there are completely different things and can't be compared.

What I think we really miss is access to special complex forms for technomancers. Sure guns and combat spells do almost the same thing just like a technomancer's attack complex form and a hacker's attack program do the same thing, but a mage's shapechange power isn't something a mundane can do easily and that's what makes a mage so special.

For now, we don't have anything (except sprites) making TM different from hackers, so they may look like underpowered hackers. But roleplaying their affinity with the Matrix (and consquently giving some modifiers in some situations) can help considering them differently.
Serbitar
I get your point, but hacking is something very rules heavy. Especially when you do not want to take 1 hour for every hacking run but just "roll it out". (Which will be about 90% of all hacks in game, at least if your TM or hacker behaves like one)

90% of the time you want to just roll and see whether you could hack the commlink of this guard over there to get his dutiy times, just hack this camera over there to loop it, or just hack this shops website through the matrix to get the stored camera data of the in store camera. And there it comes down to simple number crunshing.

I think no GM with an active hacker/TM can afford to roleplay every single hack, instead of just (mabye) 10%.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (PirateChef)
Agreed.  My sprites are of very little use when I'm looking down the barrel of your Pred IV.  Yes, I know I could have a machine sprite hack your commlink to gain access to your smartlink and eject your clip, or mess with the targeting, but when it comes down to it, you pull hte trigger, I die.

Which is why I prefer playing a Hacker than a TM. For one, Agents can do pretty much the same things as sprites. Second, a hacker can get augmentations to help them in such situations without having to sacrifice from their primary ability (Resonance).

QUOTE (Serbitar)
same goes for spirits, whats the point?

However, Mages and Shamans have spells that also can help them deal with this situation (like Increased Reflexes, Increased Attribute on Sustaining foci).

Meanwhile, the TM, has but one IP and pretty much nothing else. Yeah, she'll pretty much be dead meat even if she manages to dodge the first shot.
Blade
QUOTE ("Serbitar")
And there it comes down to simple number crunshing.

No problem for TM when you use Logic+Hacking to quickly resolve hacking. wink.gif (with modifiers for hotsim/TM and modifiers depending on the rating of the hacking programs (so TM may get modifiers by threading and fading))
blakkie
QUOTE (SamVDW @ Nov 2 2006, 07:48 PM)
I'm running into problems with running for the Technomancer in my group.  The Technomancer seems to take up a ton of gameplay time compared to the rest of the group.  When he's in the Matrix searching for info or cracking into a place, there is basically nothing the other players can do except for sit around and wait till he's done.  Last gaming session the others basically had to wait an hour of REAL time for him to do something.  But in gametime, it only took a few minutes.  It just seems too time consuming.

Can you please describe what kind of things you are having your Technomancer do? Is it fundementally different than a hardcore hacker?

Because I've never seen even a 1/2 hour spent. Did you used to play SR3? Are you structuring your interaction that way? Hoping through lots of nodes? Because I keep offline rolls to what is important. Just like any legwork, be it face or force or astral recon or stealth recon or whatever.

Once again: Only what is important. Everything else cut viciously, like you were editting a movie. Also break it up into seperate parts if something is getting big, and keep things moving around the table. Pacing, pacing, pacing.
Secondly, it seems like some things are too easy too do in the Matrix.  Data Search rolls don't seem like a matter of skill, they seem like a matter of time.  Just keep rolling until you get the proper amount of successes and the GM has to tell you the info.

Often in SR ingame time is a precious commodity. If you aren't structuring your game that way then you might look at doing that to put the pressure on. When hacking in On The Fly of course this certainly isn't the case because you are up against the Firewall noticing the attempt.

That aside if you actually want Extended Tests (for Data Search and really all other Extended Tests) to fail somewhat commonly, especially if they are attempting tough things with little ability and not using Edge, I would recommend you limit all Extended Tests as per the limited of rolls optional rule, 4 rolls maximum works really well.

How can you effectively GM for a Technomancer without leaving the group out?  It just seems to time-consuming and wasteful to me to even deal with.

What is the TM trying to do during the run? I'll give an example. Last session I GMed the team was highjacking a tractor-trailer hauling a shipping container. It was travelling with some escort. A "technical" pickup with a LMG on a pintle mount in the back and 4 outrider motorcycles.

The TM sent a couple Registered sprits to screw with the pickup (they failed, but the mage did succeed) while he himself, assisted by a 3rd sprite, hacked into the tractor-trailer. I used a vehicle parts store as the metaphore for the tractortrailer, and the rigger was seen driving via a video game at a desk in the back using one of those old clamp on the desk game driving wheels. smile.gif All this happen simultaneous with the everyone's initiative, with a small gun battle and everything.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Blade)
QUOTE ("Serbitar")
And there it comes down to simple number crunshing.

No problem for TM when you use Logic+Hacking to quickly resolve hacking. wink.gif (with modifiers for hotsim/TM and modifiers depending on the rating of the hacking programs (so TM may get modifiers by threading and fading))

Hehe, ok, but then you are fixing things by inventing new rules . . . (not a bad idea, though my hacker would complain that this rule does not reflect his superiority to the TM, he bought his programmes with hard currency and would want something for it)

Shadowrun is not a fantasy game, where you can just follow the plot and expect the GM to save you from everything. It is criminals versus a setting. If you are not good enough, you die. That is the setting SR4 promotes.
Draconis
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Nov 3 2006, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (PirateChef)

Which is why I prefer playing a Hacker than a TM. For one, Agents can do pretty much the same things as sprites. Second, a hacker can get augmentations to help them in such situations without having to sacrifice from their primary ability (Resonance).

Meanwhile, the TM, has but one IP and pretty much nothing else. Yeah, she'll pretty much be dead meat even if she manages to dodge the first shot.

Hackers have better game flavor as well. I mean there's a long history of skilled hackers and the subculture of course. Technos have handwaving and mumbo jumbo. I can see why they would try to further integrate magic and technology, this is shadowrun after all, but the combo is horrible. Otaku where akin to eating broken glass, grown up they're not much better.
Cheops
QUOTE (Serbitar)
@draconis:

A sprite/agent/hacker can convince your wife that you cheated her, fire you, take away all your money, put you on a ciminal list, print in the local newspaper that you do it with goats, send in the bug hunters 10 times a day, deliver 100kg of apheshit to your flat, drive you over with a car, control your comlink and cyberware, whatch you through the cameras and sensors of your own house. ando so on . . .

And while the sprite is doing all that it is largely untraceable.

One of my buddies tried to GM a game instead of me. We were supposed to infiltrate a government building (which turned out to be some sort of DOD/CIA data bank) but someone got wind of us before hand. We noticed a black sedan following us. We drove a little while to confirm then got out and went to a pub. The face waited at the bar and talked to everyone who came in.

Made contact with the people following us. Some words were exchanged. Both sides left and waited for their chance to kill the other (we were downtown during the day). We cross a bridge to go uptown. I conjure up a rating 6 crack sprite and ask the GM what vehicles are on the bridge. There's a tanker so I tell the sprite to deal with our problem (so to speak).

The only way that I could get traced is if Lone Star or the FBI was able to bring a technomancer in within 6 hours (which is possible but worth the risk). Otherwise it would just look like a sudden massive programing glitch that forced failures in most of the vehicle's programing -- like a hacker might but with no trace!

We later found out from our Johnson (who turned out to be Ares) that the guys following us were a bunch of maxed-out cybersoldiers from S-K. Everyone was pretty happy we didn't have to shoot it out with them.
Blade
QUOTE ("Serbitar")
Hehe, ok, but then you are fixing things by inventing new rules . . .

Not exactly. Logic is the attribute linked to hacking. Hacking is the skill used for hacking devices. To sum up a hacking sequence, it consists of hacking a device. So to sum up an hacking attempt, you roll Logic+Hacking. It's up to the GM to determine the exact modifiers for any action, and here I decided to take into account the program ratings.

Ok, I know that if you strictly follow the rules, Logic+Hacking is solely used when hacking a device directly (without using any program). But then again if you follow the rules you can't quickly resolve an hacking attempt for there aren't any rules for that.

QUOTE ("Serbitar")
Shadowrun is not a fantasy game, where you can just follow the plot and expect the GM to save you from everything. It is criminals versus a setting. If you are not good enough, you die. That is the setting SR4 promotes.

question.gif
I don't see how this is linked to the discussion

QUOTE ("Draconis")
I can see why they would try to further integrate magic and technology, this is shadowrun after all, but the combo is horrible. Otaku where akin to eating broken glass, grown up they're not much better.

Technomancer can fully integrate in a cyberpunk setting, just take a look at Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive, there are technomancer there. I don't think it should be seen as magic mix with technology but rather man mixes with machine. It's just like Laney in the San Francisco Trilogy, or Cayce Pollard in Pattern Recognition : human data finds resonnance in the human mind. There's a lot that can be done with that, but you just have to find the right way to integrate this.

Besides, throwing orks and trolls and magic in a cyberpunk isn't that an horrible combo ? Take a look at D20 modern : yes it is. But in Shadowrun, it's done cleverly and that's why it works. Give the Technomancer a chance, just try to see the whole thing your way.
ChicagosFinest
Yeah there still a young archtype. I want to try one out I think there more of support players as of right now until people toy with them. Let the Hacker do al the dirty data work but when you need to sneek around or have extra eyes out the technomancer might be the one person who can help get the job done.
Draconis
QUOTE (Serbitar)
@draconis:

Yes very cute, wacky little prankster technos. I won't deny that TMs can inflict all kinds of harm on average people. Average people are firmly integrated into technological society. Average people don't take above average steps to protect themselves because they simply don't have to. Why for instance would I want to hack the commlink of the supermarket checker?

There's just one minor problem.... if you're anyone of importance you have defenses against crap like that. This goes for shadowrunners. If they're smart they're not cogs in the machine, they're "below the radar". I.E. try and take that paper money away, print all you want that's a fake name, try to deliver that shit that address it's not listed, his cyberware has no wireless, he doesn't use a commlink, those cameras and sensors are sure as fuck not wireless or hooked to the matrix, that gate has a good old alphanumeric code not some wireless transmission. That paydata is on an old Apple IIE from almost a hundred years ago and not hooked to the matrix. Get the point?

TMs are weak because you can "insulate" yourself from them. If a TM is doing something to you it's because you're letting them.

Our street sam uses an old AK-47 with a laser sight and the words "Hack This!" scrawled upon the side.

Serbitar
Ok, then try to live in the SR4 world without a comlink (you can buy things only in the barrens, you are not able to communicate in a world where everybody can communicate almost telepathically, you can not get the information everybody can get in seconds, you can not open your car, or house without a fallback device, you can not use public transport . . .). Have fun. There is a bare minimum of technology everybody has to have in a highly developed technological and wireless world with sensors and RFID everywhere.

The only thing that can protect you from a hacker is another hacker.

You can "insulate" yourself for hours, maybe days, but not your whole life. If you want to do this, you have to live in a cave.
ChicagosFinest
QUOTE (Serbitar)
Ok, then try to live in the SR4 world without a comlink (you can buy things only in the barrens, you are not able to communicate in a world where everybody can communicate almost telepathically, you can not get the information everybody can get in seconds, you can not open your car, or house without a fallback device, you can not use public transport . . .). Have fun. There is a bare minimum of technology everybody has to have in a highly developed technological and wireless world with sensors and RFID everywhere.

You can "insulate" yourself for hours, maybe days, but not your whole life. If you want to do this, you have to live in a cave.

Or be a dragon
Dentris
And even a wired device is not unhackable by a technomancer. He could always hack a wireless commlink, then physically link it to the device.
Draconis
QUOTE (Serbitar)

I must disagree. You're saying such things as Green anarchism is entirely impossible in 2070, that's an interesting notion.

When I feel like buying something I could use paper money or corp scrip, still exists you know. I could have someone else with a commlink buy it for me then just give it to me.
Car? Why bother with a car? I could actually use public transportation as not everyone has a 'link you know, I could walk, I could have a bike and have a spirit movement me. I could take a taxi and have a friend pay in advance or hell I could trade a pretty seashell to a random passerby to get him to pay for the ride.

My point is whatever you come up with I can get around, illegal immigrants do today you know. You can exist in a technological society and not be a part of it. Magic makes this even easier to do.

I think your premise is just because the technology/service is there you have to utilize it. The whole bare minimum thing.

My character uses people who DO have commlinks and who ARE part of technological society but he is in fact not part of it. Ergo Technos can kiss my....

And yes he did in fact live in a cave a couple years ago. nyahnyah.gif
Serbitar
QUOTE (SR4)

Almost everyone in developed nations uses the Matrix on
a daily basis for work, education, and recreational purposes. In
fact, most people are online all of the time, constantly interact-
ing with the Matrix
via their commlinks and augmented real-
ity (AR) overlays. Most people have their own personal area
network (PAN), a micro-network linking together all of their
personal devices using their commlink as the central router [...]

Almost everybody simply beams funds back and forth using their commlinks and online accounts [...]
If you look hard enough or travel to enough places, you’ll
run into areas where they still use hard currency, but since it’s
a lot more convenient to keep your money in electronic form,
it’s getting rarer every day.

The SIN, or System Identification Number, can be your
best friend or your worst enemy. Without one, it’s very diffi-
cult to do otherwise simple things like rent an apartment, buy
a car, or check into a hotel. With one, however, the system can
track almost every move you make—what you buy, where you
go, what you connect to on the Matrix.
    Technically, everybody is supposed to have a SIN (it’s
illegal not to), but in reality, many people don’t. Some had
them erased; some lost them when the Matrix went down in
’64 and getting a new one was too much of a hassle; some nev-
er had one at all because their births were never recorded. The
SINless, as they’re called, tend to operate outside the system
and have a hard time doing anything legitimately, since not
having a SIN marks you as either an alien or a person subject
to lesser rights.

Most people by now
have embraced the new technology, to the point where even
the poorest sprawl denizens are likely to have commlinks
that connect them to the Matrix on a constant basis.

In Shadowrun,  nearly everyone is part of this interlinked
electronic world, whether they will it or not. Your personal
commlink allows you to be online wherever you go, 24-7 [...]

Commlinks are the ultimate personal networking tool,
used by almost everyone.

Commlinks typically carry all of your personal data, re-
placing the registered credsticks
of old. Your ID, SIN, licenses,
passport, medical history, insurance data, educational diplo-
mas, credit balance, and far more can be securely stored on
your commlink and instantly beamed over for transaction pur-
poses—with proper authorization, of course.

Everyone using the Matrix has a personal commcode, or
Matrix address—the equivalent of a cell phone number or
email address—to which their calls and messages are directed.
Your commcode is usually registered with a paid Matrix service
provider
[...]

If you lack a SIN, many activities that normal citizens
take for granted become impossible for you. For example, you
need a SIN to get a legal job, open a bank account, own prop-
erty, go to school, rent an apartment, establish utility services,
and so forth. Most importantly, a SIN is now required for any
form of legal travel—including just buying a bus ticket.
Draconis
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Nov 6 2006, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (SR4)

Almost everyone in developed nations uses the Matrix on
a daily basis for work, education, and recreational purposes. In
fact, most people are online all of the time, constantly interact-
ing with the Matrix
via their commlinks and augmented real-
ity (AR) overlays. Most people have their own personal area
network (PAN), a micro-network linking together all of their
personal devices using their commlink as the central router [...]

Almost everybody simply beams funds back and forth using their commlinks and online accounts [...]
If you look hard enough or travel to enough places, you’ll
run into areas where they still use hard currency, but since it’s
a lot more convenient to keep your money in electronic form,
it’s getting rarer every day.

The SIN, or System Identification Number, can be your
best friend or your worst enemy. Without one, it’s very diffi-
cult to do otherwise simple things like rent an apartment, buy
a car, or check into a hotel. With one, however, the system can
track almost every move you make—what you buy, where you
go, what you connect to on the Matrix.
    Technically, everybody is supposed to have a SIN (it’s
illegal not to), but in reality, many people don’t. Some had
them erased; some lost them when the Matrix went down in
’64 and getting a new one was too much of a hassle; some nev-
er had one at all because their births were never recorded. The
SINless, as they’re called, tend to operate outside the system
and have a hard time doing anything legitimately, since not
having a SIN marks you as either an alien or a person subject
to lesser rights.

Most people by now
have embraced the new technology, to the point where even
the poorest sprawl denizens are likely to have commlinks
that connect them to the Matrix on a constant basis.

In Shadowrun,  nearly everyone is part of this interlinked
electronic world, whether they will it or not. Your personal
commlink allows you to be online wherever you go, 24-7 [...]

Commlinks are the ultimate personal networking tool,
used by almost everyone.

Commlinks typically carry all of your personal data, re-
placing the registered credsticks
of old. Your ID, SIN, licenses,
passport, medical history, insurance data, educational diplo-
mas, credit balance, and far more can be securely stored on
your commlink and instantly beamed over for transaction pur-
poses—with proper authorization, of course.

Everyone using the Matrix has a personal commcode, or
Matrix address—the equivalent of a cell phone number or
email address—to which their calls and messages are directed.
Your commcode is usually registered with a paid Matrix service
provider
[...]

If you lack a SIN, many activities that normal citizens
take for granted become impossible for you. For example, you
need a SIN to get a legal job, open a bank account, own prop-
erty, go to school, rent an apartment, establish utility services,
and so forth. Most importantly, a SIN is now required for any
form of legal travel—including just buying a bus ticket.

Cute, look at all those quotes. How will I ever reply? wink.gif

How about the word "Almost" and "Nearly" in "Almost" all of those quotes?

Once again proving that you can hack the supermarket checker or average Joe because they don't really expect it coming.
Serbitar
These quotes show the standard in SR4 world. Somebody who does not conform to standards has to go great lengths to work around them.

It can be done, but it is neither easy, nor comfortable, nor are there only small drawbacks. Examples what you can not do are given in the quotes.

Most important point: When you are non-standard you attract attention. Runners should never attract too much attention.
Garrowolf
The Technomancer is supposed to be a super hacker of some kind but the rules made them too hard to deal with as stated. I ended up rewriting all of the Matrix rules in order to fix them and several other issues I had. In the broadest strokes it looks the same and from a prose perpective it is similar but the logic of it is different.

I have two technomancers in my game now. One is an NPC that I retired when someone made a PC. They are powerful and balenced with the rest of the group when using my rules changes.

The problem is in the execution. I usually try and step back and figure out what they are trying to say, what they want it to look like or work out at as and then create a system that does that. Sometimes just changing one or two rules doesn't fix the problem - it patches it.
SL James
Maybe that's what Emergence and Unwired are going to fix, because you aren't alone.

I mean, Runner Havens already posited a new ability (as far as I can tell) that they can upload their memories to external media/Matrix memory.
Lord Ben
TM's are competitive. Especially in a game where the PC's self-regulate themselves. A no-holds bared min-maxing competition might favor hackers (though I'm not convinced). But in a game where people just make runners (competent pro's, just not maxed everything) TM's are right in there.

Threading makes a huge difference. Hacking on the fly is much safer with 9 stealth than with 6. I'd have to check the rules but is 9 even the max or is threading not really a skill bonus?
Konsaki
IIRC, Threading does not increase the skill, just the CF, and the CFs have no caps on them, except the whole cannot thread above Res X 2. Even then, you have to have a sprite sustain it or else the TM takes a -2 dice hit to every test, which makes registered sprites important if you go that route.
Personally, I just use unregistered sprites compiled at rank 6 to perform all the tasks I need, which is equivalent of creating a super hacker on the spot. I only have certain CFs that my TM needs to operate basic stuff on the Matrix, like stealth, armor, ECCM, Command and Scan. Saves on BP and I can still thread what I need at the time if I dont want to or cant create a sprite.
mintcar
I don't understand how anyone can say that "by the rules" agents can do just about anything a sprite can. Or worse, that agents can do anything a hacker can. Do you allow agents to make decisions? Do you allow drones to make decisions? This is were cold rules lawyery can't cut it. We know that agents and drones are not sentient. They can't handle anything that's unpredicted. Hell, a drone can't even protect itself when attacked unless commanded to, if it doesn't have a special autosoft for it. Sprites on the other hand are actually living beings. That's in the rules, right? But it's irrelivant to you because both roll the same amount of dice on tests? Does that mean that you never throw in any surprises when you GM? Hackers never have to make decisions on the fly? Because any time a hacker would have to make a desicion to be able to proceed, an agent would have hit a wall. There wouldn't even be a test.
mfb
i would compromise between Konsaki and mintcar's extremes. agents and drones are not sentient; therefore, they can't automatically make reasonable decisions, especially regarding self-preservation. however, that doesn't make agents and drones stupid; they've got very complex decision-making trees. they should be able to roll their rating in order to act effectively in situations where they have no specific instructions.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mintcar)
I don't understand how anyone can say that "by the rules" agents can do just about anything a sprite can. Or worse, that agents can do anything a hacker can. Do you allow agents to make decisions? Do you allow drones to make decisions? This is were cold rules lawyery can't cut it. We know that agents and drones are not sentient. They can't handle anything that's unpredicted. Hell, a drone can't even protect itself when attacked unless commanded to, if it doesn't have a special autosoft for it.

Agents and Pilots aren't sentient, but neither are wild hell hounds. Surely, wild hell hounds are able to feed themselves without a human handler telling them what to do every second.

Nay, the ability to make decisions based on outside stimuli does not equate to sentience in SR4, these things can be accomplished with base instincts alone. An agent is no different. Of course they can make decisions on how to best accomplish their orders. Agents of a sufficient rating can make rather complex decisions in these regards. What they can't do is give themselves orders.

And no sprites are not people. hey are just a different type of agent, really. They may have more personality but they lack sentience and free will as is evidenced by their complete lack of the Sapience power.
mintcar
Come on, agents don't have instincts. They're even further from having instincts then they are from having abstract thought. (Because instincts are closely related to feelings. Can an agent feel scared or happy? If they can't know fear, they can't have instincts. And if they can feel scared, that would sort of make them alive, wouldn't it?)

They do have complex programing, however, so I would allow a rating roll for some unexpected situations. But only if the situation is generally in line with the agent's purpose. And even then, the action it takes will always be the least creative solution imaginable. The point is that agents will be at a disadvantage compaired to a sprite when left to themselves, no matter how high the rating.
mintcar
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
And no sprites are not people. hey are just a different type of agent, really. They may have more personality but they lack sentience and free will as is evidenced by their complete lack of the Sapience power.

If you choose to see it that way.

I see them as the equivilent of spirits in the matrix, myself. And I happen to think that downplaying or ignoring spirit's willful and sentient nature is a mistake a lot of Shadowrun GM's seem to make. Letting spirits and sprites act on their own aganda (within the bounderies the rules set up) is both a great tool for storytelling and flavour, as well as a means to ballance different aspects of the game.
mfb
there's no reason an agent or drone should be completely helpless in the face of unexpected challenges. their solutions might not be creative, but anything keeping the agent/drone from completing its assigned task can be handled with, at minumum, a fight or flight response, which is very simple to program. heck, the bad guys in many video games can handle that.
mintcar
QUOTE (mfb)
there's no reason an agent or drone should be completely helpless in the face of unexpected challenges. their solutions might not be creative, but anything keeping the agent/drone from completing its assigned task can be handled with, at minumum, a fight or flight response, which is very simple to program. heck, the bad guys in many video games can handle that.

I agree, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. To put it in short terms; there's plenty of reasons and arguments for giving sprites an edge or for putting agents at a disadvantage to hackers without caping ratings or otherwise changing the rules.

If you want agents to be just as good as hackers or sprites, you just treat them the same. If you don't want hackers to be made obsolete by agents, all you need to do is make a point of the usefulness a human mind with all it's creativity can have.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mintcar)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

If you choose to see it that way.

I see them as the equivilent of spirits in the matrix, myself. And I happen to think that downplaying or ignoring spirit's willful and sentient nature is a mistake a lot of Shadowrun GM's seem to make. Letting spirits and sprites act on their own aganda (within the bounderies the rules set up) is both a great tool for storytelling and flavour, as well as a means to ballance different aspects of the game.

I agree that spirits should have their own agendas, but spirits (except watchers) do have the Sapience power. Sprites may be the spirits of the Matrix, but they're the watcher spirits of the matrix according to their stats. If one ere explicitly statted with Sapience then it would be different.

mintcar
Judging from the descriptions, I choose to see them as sentient entities. I think their lack of the sapience power is due to them having a different type of stats then physical beings. They don't share powers with beasts, so it's not that surprising they don't have the creature power sapience. The fact that there's no equivilent of that power among the sprite powers is an oversight, I think. But that's just an opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012