Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Stars are not Far
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 10 2006, 11:02 AM)
Instead of endlessly repeating "You're wrong Frank", maybe one of you should actually take his numbers (as he keeps asking you to) and prove him wrong. Don't make up other numbers and equations to muddy the waters (unless his figures are in fact actually incorrect). He has given you the numbers and equations he used to come up with his theory, but as yet nobody has fully addressed the issue as he portrays it.

That would be too easy.

Let's step-by-step it:

Our reaction produces 18.4 MeV. That's a tremendous lot. We whip out our Conversion Factors and find that that is equivalent to 21340000000 Kelvin. Ouch.

Now we put these temperatures into the Kinetic Temperature Equations for our products (80% He-4 and 20% H) and find that our most probable speeds are 29787994 for He-4 and 59575988 for the H - an average mass speed of 35745592 m/s.

Now, this is all plasma, so it's magnetically active, we can bounce it off of magnets. It's already super-fast so we don't need a magnetic accelerator, just a magnetic bottle with a hole in it for the plasma jet to shoot out of. Assuming that it shoots out the back at its current speed, we are now caught up in the wild world of Conservatin of Momentum. See, if part of the original mass is going out the back at an average of 35745592 m/s, then remaining vehicle will have to go forward at a speed proportional to its mass so that the momentums (velocity times mass) sum to zero.

Or to put it another way, we now have the magic equation:

9.8 m/s * (100,000 kg - N) + -35745592 m/s * (N) = 0

Where N is the mass of the ejecta out the back. I assume we can all do basic algebra, and we are left with an N being .002798 kilograms. For the first second

Now as the vehicle continues to hurl mass out the back, it will have to throttle down some or the acceleration will increase. Our ratio stays constant each second. .000027 % of the total mass every second, for 187200 seconds round about.

So we now have a compound interest problem, where we have .9999997258^187200 and we have 94.9978% of our original mass at the end. Since our original mass was 100 tonnes, will still have about 95 tonnes left, so we've shot out about 5 tonne of ejecta out the back.

OK, now that we've done all the math with the actual inputs instead of just made up stuff, can we call it a day? Or rather, 2 days?

Edit: Sorry, I plugged in for 1 m/s. We're looking for 9.8 m/s. 1 m/s thrust needs only 522 kilograms of reaction mass for the trip. It's 5 tonnes for the full 9.8 m/s.

-Frank
Demerzel
Okay, where do you want me to start?

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
after the reaction it's temperature shoots up to 18.4 MeV

You’re confusing temperature with energy. This is a common problem you are having, thinking one thing is as good as another and calling it done. Frank you keep making absurd claims like Energy is as good as speed, energy is as good as temperature. In fact you may see Temperature expressed in terms of energy, but then they are using it as an average Kinetic Energy. What you’re claiming as a energy is the energy released by a reaction.

In fact if you look at your Artemis project site that 4He gets 3.7MeV not 18.4, that energy is shared between the proton and the 4He.

Then you also seem to think that we can just collide these two things and get the directionality we want and no further interactions, when in fact much of that energy will go into interactions with the remainder of the plasma heating it and allowing it to further fuse and allowing your reaction to keep going. In the end you’re getting an averaging effect within the plasma.

As you add feedstock to maintain the reaction, and you have to add it at the same rate you eject it for propellant, you’re cooling the reaction by introducing a cooler gas.

So Frank, you see 18.4 MeV and you find a conversion factor to temperature and you wildly misinterpret both!

You interpret that 18.4 MeV as going exclusively into the 4He.

Then you take your already wrong 18.4 MeV and wildly misinterpret it as an average kinetic energy. Where in fact that has only to do with the energy out of the reaction that will have to undergo an immense series of interactions within the plasma, distributing that energy and averaging it out with all the other particles in the plasma.

So basically all that work you did in your above two posts are based on a flawed premise processed through a flawed set of assumptions and it outputs worthless information.

QUOTE (Frank)
OK, now that we've done all the math with the actual inputs instead of just made up stuff, can we call it a day? Or rather, 2 days?

Or rather:

QUOTE (What you should have said)
OK, now that we've done some of the math with wildly ill-conceived inputs instead of just accurate stuff…

I do really want to believe you’re just trolling here, and just trying to get a rise out of me and others and that you don’t actually believe this. But the frightening thing is I don’t think that is the case.

Take this advice, your local community college or university will have physics professors, they will have office hours where you can go in and ask a question, and most would have no problem with you doing this even if you’re not a student, so long as you don’t happen to come to them the week before they are giving an exam and have a flood of students trying to cram for the last minute.

For me to point out all of these flaws over a forum such as this I basically have to write a textbook because the level of interactivity is not nearly what you would find in a one on one setting.

But be careful you may actually learn something, that is if you’re more willing to listen.
Big D
The catch with allies is that a F24 has 48 dice on the bind. Good luck making that.

But that said, there's always one other option... burn 2 points of edge. One for the bind, one for survival. Edge is cheap when it buys you a F24 ally, just make sure it has everything that it needs up front.

That is awfully hard to RP, though, since edge is supposed to by luck and not something that you intentionally budget for.

You also have to get the karma into the mage--best option is probably (sorry to sound like a broken record) to get a power pact with a succubus and use LOS karma drain on employees or SINless.

But, yeah, if you invest that kind of time and effort in one mage, you can pull it off. Better have some serious leverage over the mage, though, and some spare copies of the formula locked away to use against the spirit, because you just gave somebody the power to not just move spaceships at high C, but a completely loyal spirit with something close to GD powers.
Jaid
QUOTE (Big D)
That is awfully hard to RP, though, since edge is supposed to by luck and not something that you intentionally budget for.

edge is *partially* luck. it is other things as well.

you're not just luckier than a gang of random thugs, you've got experience under your belt, etc etc... and therefore you have a higher edge.
Big D
But burning edge is something that you don't generally intentionally set yourself up to do.

It's that old thing of "if I'm going to do something improbable, I might as well make it as improbable as I possibly can".

Y'know, if you take the spirit up to F30 (240 karma + skills + spells + 2 edge), it can take, what, a ton to orbital velocity with an overcast levitate and average successes?

It won't get you to Mars very fast, but a spirit could make each trip up to LEO in about a minute, and shortcut right back. It wouldn't have a lot of reserve velocity left in levitate unless it got more successes than normal, so launch windows might be tight; but with 60 drain dice and guard, it could recast until it got what it needed.

That takes care of the hard part. From there, you can use whatever means of propulsion you like; the spirit can zip them to Mars (or wherever) at 30x their delta-v, then drop the warp... err, movement field on approach, and the velocity that has to be shed to make orbit instantly drops by 30x as well. The spirit can also fly the ship all the way in, with 60 dice on the pilot rolls. Once landed, the spirit shortcuts back home.
lachattenoire
Hey Frank, the Mars mission is set for Jan 4, 2071, right?

I followed the movement of the planets during the 2063 mission and during the 2071 mission. And yes, it was a 2063 mission. I just checked SotA:2064.

The 2063 mission was planned rather shoddily. True, Earth and Mars were within 1 AU the entire time but the ship was forced to travel much farther than that. Using only graphics and envelope-calculations, the craft was forced to travel just under 1.5 AU.

Now, 1.5 AU in 6 months ain't bad. In 2004 the Pluto Express managed to cross Mars's orbit ( >0.5 AU) in 6 months. Although I would have hoped ion engines would have increased in power, efficency, and general coolness in 59 years (especially since the Pluto Express is being powered by passively sucking the heat off of decaying plutonium, no different than the Voyager missions).

But on Jan 4, 2071 Earth and Mars will be 351 million kilometers away from each other. For a space mission this is the definition of ass. Yes, Frank, Earth and Mars will be on opposite sides of the sun by then. And Earth and Mars stay on opposite sides of the sun for the first half of that year, keeping a distance of greater than 2 AU until August.

I'll use mathemagic to create a fusion drive that'll get us there in a short time period but it won't be two days. Remeber, the "two days" figure came from your assurance that the Earth and Mars weren't two friggin' AU away.

note: 1 AU = 149.6 million kilometers
FrankTrollman
But on Jan 4, 2071 Earth and Mars will be 351 million kilometers away from each other. For a space mission this is the definition of ass. Yes, Frank, Earth and Mars will be on opposite sides of the sun by then. And Earth and Mars stay on opposite sides of the sun for the first half of that year, keeping a distance of greater than 2 AU until August.
Actually, it's January 4th 2072 in our game, (timelines move forward when you're playing a game a week) which according to a Mars/Earth orbit site I looked at would put it well within 100 million Kilometers.

Unfortunately, I've seen variations in different mars sites. I have no idea why this would be the case because these orbits have been studied for thousands of years and don't really change.

-Frank
lachattenoire
I'll check 2072 but I feel the University of Michigan to be a little more accurate than all those high school websites I found.

Dammit, I miss my 486. It had a program that'd do all this shit for me, now I gotta spend time searching online.

Edit: on Jan 4, 2072 Earth and Mars are .64 AU away.

Taking the 2063 mission as a base and doing basic arithmatic one can see that if a 1.5 AU trip takes 6 months than a .64 AU takes about 2 and a half months with no change in technology from canon 2063. I'm going to assume that technology is not horribly stagnant in the intervening time. And it's not, the Wireless World is proof of that.

Thus a mission to mars where mars is about 2/3rd of an AU from earth, using Shadowrun canon, would take less than 2.5 months. Two days is still gonna take a doozy of a reactor core and would likely require a strange flavor of quantum mechanics mixed with relativity to account for the fact that your plasma stream is in fact moving greater than 20% of c. If we want to bore the others then David and I can try to design the math surrounding one. But I warn you, Frank, this math will likely have no numbers in it.

Comeing out of high speeds into a gentle orbit is hard but possible. NASA is right now doing calculations for a probe mission to Neptune (on the drawing board, possible launch mid 2020s) that'll use aerobraking to come out of a 37,000km/s trip into a gentle orbit. The probe would need to be designed like a snowboard but the designs have still been penciled. (Astronomy magazine, Nov 2006). The probe is only allowed one aerobraking manuver. True, Neptune's atmosphere is much thicker but I did similar calculations last spring as part of my Planetary Astrophysics class. Mars has enough atmosphere if we go deep in on the summer side.
Demerzel
QUOTE (lachattenoire)
Comeing out of high speeds into a gentle orbit is hard but possible. NASA is right now doing calculations for a probe mission to Neptune (on the drawing board, possible launch mid 2020s) that'll use aerobraking to come out of a 37,000km/s trip into a gentle orbit. The probe would need to be designed like a snowboard but the designs have still been penciled. (Astronomy magazine, Nov 2006). The probe is only allowed one aerobraking manuver. True, Neptune's atmosphere is much thicker but I did similar calculations last spring as part of my Planetary Astrophysics class. Mars has enough atmosphere if we go deep in on the summer side.

Amazingly enough, in Franks defense, he proposed an equal time accellerating as decelerating. Ideally you'd be coming into a stable orbit fairly simply...
ronin3338
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Nov 10 2006, 09:41 AM)
"You see this?", says Damian Knight, "This is a billion nuyen note. It is the only billion-nuyen note ever made. It is actually worth 6 billion nuyen in the currency collector's market because it is so rare.  Do you know what I'm going with this billion nuyen note? I'm going to wipe my ass with it. Why? Because I'm rich, that's why. Because I'm so rich that I can wipe my ass with a billion nuyen every time I go to the bathroom and I wouldn't even notice.

Wait... does that mean Damian Knight will only wipe his ass once? Ever? wobble.gif
lachattenoire
Amazingly enough, in Franks defense, he proposed an equal time accellerating as decelerating. Ideally you'd be coming into a stable orbit fairly simply...

True. But as the "two days" thing is still going around I'm gonna suggest an extended period of acceleration. And it's not like aerobraking hasn't been field tested. That's what the Mars Reconiasance Orbiter was for. Well, that and observing.

Also, it's not like they won't see us coming anyway. They have to have an observatory up to watch for things coming by.
Fortune
QUOTE (Demerzel)
But be careful you may actually learn something, that is if you’re more willing to listen.

Your tone has been really condescending from the very beginning of this thread. Maybe if you threw in fewer insults you might find yourself a little less frustrated.
knasser
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 10 2006, 08:00 PM)
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Nov 11 2006, 06:31 AM)

Your tone has been really condescending from the very beginning of this thread. Maybe if you threw in fewer insults you might find yourself a little less frustrated.

And myself? I like to think that I've been consistently polite ever since I joined these boards, and I've been repeatedly disregarded where I've pointed out errors in Frank's understanding. And Demerzel's comment is hardly a wild insult, but rather acurate - numerous criticisms have been ignored. Happily physics doesn't follow the laws of etiquette.
hyzmarca
Demerzel's specific objections are not unreasonable. However, where this argument is failing is that fact that both sides seem to be forgetting and none of these problems really matter. At this point we're talking about the efficiency of the operation rather than its possibility. It is possible with a conventional chemical rocket of substantial size and it is even more possible with a classic nuclear thermal rocket or a conventional nuclear pulse rocket. Demerzel is also forgetting that, specific numbers aside, fusion rockets like that one that Frank described have been on the drawing boards since 1973. They aren't exactly way-out-there science fiction. In fact, Project Daedalus, which used a system very similar to what Frank described, was intended to take a crew to a nearby star within a single lifetime.

The fact is that the specific numbers don't matter unless your actually designing and building the damn things. If you aren't then we'll just leave those details to the fictional engineers in the fictional universe. If they have funding then it can be done. The spacecraft may be larger and more expensive than intended, but it can be done.

ronin3338, wash and reuse.
Demerzel
Actually project Daedalus is similar to what I'm describing, what Frank is describing is sigificant steps beyond Project Daedalus.

Project Daedalus is a two stage booster, the first stage running for two years bringing the ship to 7.10% of the speed of light. That is an accelleration of 0.34 m/s^2, or 0.035g. The second stage is is to run for 1.8 years and bring the probe to 12% of the speed of light, that's an acceleration of 0.26 m/s^2 or about 0.026g.

Frank is talking about a drive 30 times as much accelleration as the one you're describing as the enabling technology. Not to mention he's talking about a payload that will be capable of landing on Mars and lifting off again (with all the required reaction mass for that).

Project Daedalus is not a model to describe what Frank is asking for, it's a model to describe the realistic alternative I'm suggesting.

lachattenoire
Not to mention he's talking about a payload that will be capable of landing on Mars and lifting off again (with all the required reaction mass for that).

To make the science easier, try a lander. The ship never has to land, never has to waste energy taking off again. And the lander could be run on whatever chemical propellant you want, even the abysmally inefficient magnesium reaction used by the space shuttle.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Demerzel)
Actually project Daedalus is similar to what I'm describing, what Frank is describing is sigificant steps beyond Project Daedalus.

Project Daedalus is a two stage booster, the first stage running for two years bringing the ship to 7.10% of the speed of light. That is an accelleration of 0.34 m/s^2, or 0.035g. The second stage is is to run for 1.8 years and bring the probe to 12% of the speed of light, that's an acceleration of 0.26 m/s^2 or about 0.026g.

Frank is talking about a drive 30 times as much accelleration as the one you're describing as the enabling technology. Not to mention he's talking about a payload that will be capable of landing on Mars and lifting off again (with all the required reaction mass for that).

Project Daedalus is not a model to describe what Frank is asking for, it's a model to describe the realistic alternative I'm suggesting.

Ah, but acceleration is a function of the rate at which the fuel is burned. By burning the same amount of fuel in 1/365th the time, such a craft could achieve remarkable acceleration. All you need is an engine that can accommodate that rate of burn, which is what I'm trying to point out. It is a matter of scale, rather than a matter of absolute limitations. 9.8m/s^2 acceleration is a fuckton more expensive than 0.34m/s^2 acceleration but it is most certainly possible. It is possible with plain ole' chemical rockets if you have the fuel to waste.
Demerzel
First of all, Project Daedalus is a pipe dream of futurists today, so even if you accept that it could be accomplished with a future technology decades away you've then got to scale the technology up 30 times beyond what these futurists are proposing.

Then you have to ask yourself what are the ramifications of such technology and do we see any that in SR4?

If you can boost ridiculous ammounts of mass into orbit so cheaply how is it only the super rich can afford the longevity benefits of retirement in freefall?

If you can boost rideculous ammounts of mass into orbit so cheaply how is it that zurich oribtal is such a safe place when any space installation is inherrently fragile and their primary advantage is a huge potential well necessary for any attacker to overcome.

What is the evidence in SR cannon that indicates any of this or other necessary miraculous technologies exist.

And why would anyone go to so much effort when they can take a little longer and do the same thing just with less of a rush.

There is evidentally already a permanent Mars base probably doing biennial milk runs everytime Earth and Mars come into conjunction (Every 2.135 years). You're going to blow all this effort and cash to be number 2? If that's your corps grand strategic plan good luck maintaining AAA status.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012