Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Conspiracy theories
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
L.D
We're pretty close to starting our first game of SR4 and I've decided to play a... I'm loathe to call him conspiracy nut, but something along those lines. He'll have a couple of conspiracies he'll believe in and a knowledge skill out it.

But I need some help with finding some good conspiracies. Do you guys have any? Maybe something from Lone Gunman? Or something of your own?
fistandantilus4.0
Who blew up Dunkelzahn.

The death of Pres Haefner

New Revolution

Ordo Maximus

Lowfyr. Anything with Lowfyr

New Islamic Jihad controlled by a shedim

Sleeper WinterNight Agents
Draconis
QUOTE (L.D)
We're pretty close to starting our first game of SR4 and I've decided to play a... I'm loathe to call him conspiracy nut, but something along those lines. He'll have a couple of conspiracies he'll believe in and a knowledge skill out it.

But I need some help with finding some good conspiracies. Do you guys have any? Maybe something from Lone Gunman? Or something of your own?

Sounds like a good concept.
In our game our rigger has the Conspiracy Theories knowledge skill.
There's been some wacky results.
fistandantilus4.0
"Old "MK Ultra Brainwashing

NASA/ARES/EVO Mars landing

Immortal Elves

Project Omen (read Shadows of Europe)

The Black Lodge

Bug Spirits EVERYWHERE!

The catholic Church/The Vatican/The Curia/ The Templars/New Jesuits/Vigilia

Dr Halbestrom

Edit: I guess i should ask jsut how familiar you are with these things before I go off with more. Doesn't help naming things if you've never heard of 'em I guess. smile.gif
Butterblume
Hey, L.D's title is Harlequin. He probably knows a lot about true conspiracys, and nothing about the fake ones, which are way more fun biggrin.gif.
fistandantilus4.0
The trick of course is knowing which is which
Jack Kain
Dunkelzahn is in hiding with Elvis who was in reality an immortal elf.
fistandantilus4.0
Of course he is. Enjoying the view from the mother ship.
ChicagosFinest
Tupac is rapping to him his serene lyrics and Osoma bin Laden is teaching them how to avoid the UCAS smile.gif
Nasrudith
Anticorporate Conspiracies:

Deus is still in charge of Renraku, he's just in hiding.

Invae are the result of Ares in an attempt to increase weapon sales.

Toxic spirits were a failed experiment of the corperations to make their polution useful.

Humanis Conspiracies:

The Tiers hold the goal of clensing the earth of humanity.

Ghouls are the first step of a project to make goblinization contagious.

Religious Conspiracies:

The great dragons are manifestations of the devil.

Being awakened is not something that one is born with, merely someone who sold their soul to satan.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Project Omen (read Shadows of Europe)

Care to refresh my memory? I seem to have forgotten this one.

QUOTE (Nasrudith)
Invae are the result of Ares in an attempt to increase weapon sales.

Sort of related but going in a slightly different direction, how about the Betrayal section from Threats 2 and Ares current, well at least 2062 current, dealings with the bug spirits?
fistandantilus4.0
Project Omen, SoE, what was started by the aristos / Black Lodge to get a bunch of young diviners available not long after the awakening to help them take control of France. Yohan DeKervelek is a survivor after they killed them off once their job was done. You'd think a bunch of diviners would've seen that comin'. Go fig.

Happy to explain any others, the conspiracy 'theories' are probably my favorite part of SR. LoneGunmen and Conspir-I-See are my heroes. cool.gif
FlakJacket
Ah yes. I know the plot but forgot the codename they used for it.

Hey L.D, jsut out of interest where is your group going to be set? Got a few Euro-centric ideas nut that's not really very helpful if your PC's are never going to be setting foot outside of Seattle. smile.gif
Cognitive Resonance
Here's a nice low scale theory:

The Firewatch teams moved to Seattle are there to take care of undesirables, not deal with any sort of threat.
fistandantilus4.0
For what purpose? Practice? Otherwise they could just hire the runners on tail chaser runs against each other.
Cognitive Resonance
For what purpose? Practice? Otherwise they could just hire the runners on tail chaser runs against each other.

You'd need lots of well trained runners to keep a large scale, extermination of Sinless quiet.
fistandantilus4.0
Why exterminate the SINless? Then who are they gonna sell the Ares Predator to?!

More Conspiracies:
Human Nation

The Exchange

Church of the Dragon (pervy dragon fanciers!)

Aleph Society

Proteus AG

The Draco Foundation (suuuuure they're non profit)

Atlantean Foundation (suuuuuure they're searchign for Atlantis)

Anything with Aztechnology
Grinder
QUOTE (L.D)

Hehe, had the same idea a while back: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...piracy+theories
nezumi
Make your own conspiracy theory!

Person
Present tense verb
Nationality
Plural noun

Person was last seen Verb with a naked Nationality man at Location. His/her/its pockets full of Flavor Pl. Noun!
OneTrikPony
OOOO! MadLibs! I love them.

Hmm... Wait, are we allowed to use any dumpshock members?

i pick
1, OneTrikPony
2, Grindering
3, Nezumi
4, Cognitive Resonance
5, Fistandantilus3.0

grinbig.gif
L.D
Wow. Cool. Thanks! I'll try to shoot some answers to everyone. But first to all who contributed. I'll pick a few that he'll believe in and the rest he'll know about but think too "far out" to be believable. I'm trying to make him a bit more mellow than the Lone Gunman... more like Mother in Sneakers. I want him to belive in at least one that I as a player know is wrong (got it covered with a wrong Jetblack conspiracy) and something that is right (but which no one else believes in) and of course a lot more than that (but whether or not they're true doesn't really matter).

@Grinder
Thanks for the link. It hold a lot of good ideas. I'm definitely gonna let him believe in a cult that worships Eris. biggrin.gif

@Draconis
Just what I was thinking and hoping for. smile.gif

@fistandantilus3.0
I've heard about most of 'em and know a bit about most of those, but some I've never heard about (like "Old "MK Ultra Brainwashing) and... well... If you could tell me in which books I can find more info that'd be really helpful. I like the "Anything with Aztechnology" part. biggrin.gif

@FlakJacket
I don't really know... We're starting out in Seattle (or rather on a burning boat in the middle of the ocean with a cargohold full of wasps and shapeshifters grinbig.gif or not...), but there's a strong possibility for travel. I wouldn't mind knowing about them anyway. Just so he can throw them out in the middle of conversation. smile.gif

Edit: That's what I get for taking too long to write a post. Thanks nezumi! rotfl.gif
Smed
Who blew up Dunkelzahn.

That's easy: He was killed by a secret cabal of UCAS IRS agents that were upset that Dunk hadn't paid his taxes in a few centuries and felt he was setting a bad example fo the rest of the country (or at least that's what a conspiracy theory nut character I play believes)
OneTrikPony
IIRC Part of Dunk's bid for Pres. was that he did pay back taxes when he became a citizen of the UCAS. I think there was some kind of audit when he decaired his primary residence to be in the 'states.

Download the copy of Dunk's will from SRRPG.com there's 101+ conspiracies right there and most of them will never be developed so you can do anything you want with them.
lorechaser
QUOTE (L.D)
@Grinder
Thanks for the link. It hold a lot of good ideas. I'm definitely gonna let him believe in a cult that worships Eris. biggrin.gif

Hail Eris!

All hail Discordia!

I'll just toss a few general conspiracies out there. Sadly, these are all ones I've heard in person, and are present day, but they could be expanded....

The Illuminati (They sort of count - I know they exist - I used to work for them. Well, their online counterparts.) The Illuminati contains hundreds of minor conspiracies. The Gnomes of Zurich - a group of bankers that control the world's money supply are my favorites.

Charlemange's line - all politicians and rulers of europe and the us are descended from Charlemange. His family was far more profilic than is generally known, and you can trace ever major politician back to him. They all use their influence to insure that any candidate that has a chance is also part of their line. People that know this are typically part of his line themselves. (That was the weirdest conversation I've ever had with a live person. It started out with general discussions of history, and let to them telling me they were destined to become president).

Russian weather satelites. Hurricane Katrina was caused by the russians retaliating against the US. Apparently, the US government evaporated a number of lakes in Russia, and sucked the water up in to large cloud formations, which were then routed via jetstream back to the US. However, Russian former-KGB learned of this, and used satelites to divert the course of the clouds, and disrupt them, causing Katrina.

The CIA introduced crack cocaine to the slums, in order to combat drug lords in South America - if the junkies picked crack instead, the drug lords would lose their customers, and the CIA could wipe them out, then just stop the flow of crack.

Tom Cruise is the reincarnation of Xenu the greek.
nezumi
I've considered keeping the USSR together in my SR games both because it contributes towards the 80's feel of stuff, but also because it gives so much ammunition for conspiracy theories.
FlakJacket
Well there's always the question of who the Vendra*ahem*Pendragon over in the UK is and what they're really up to. wink.gif
ChicagosFinest
Pen and Dragon hhhmmmm I hope this isnt another dragon in disguise. Dunkie mentioned he lost it in hiw will does that mean that someone might have stolen it during the down cycle or when he was active in the 4th world?

If it was stolen... was it stolen by another dragon or a mere mortal?

questions and speculation!? grrr.....

Dont forget the emoporer in Japan to. how he came out in that glow from under the volcano. Things are getting interesting in Asia t say the least and the rest of the world as well.
Fortune
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
Pen and Dragon hhhmmmm I hope this isnt another dragon in disguise.

Rest assured. He isn't a dragon. biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
MK Ultra, the short version.

Aztechnology, you've got blood mages, you've got a goverment controlled by a corp, a possible dragon behind it all, a secret Board of Directors taht inlcudes people liek drug czars (Domingo Ramos) and living blobs (formerly, Thomas Roxborough of Universal Omnitech). The sky is the limit with the big A.

I really would like to see more on the Pendragon. Who should I ask for an ETA on that? Synner?
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (lorechaser)

The CIA introduced crack cocaine to the slums, in order to combat drug lords in South America - if the junkies picked crack instead, the drug lords would lose their customers, and the CIA could wipe them out, then just stop the flow of crack.

Actually, this one is a little more factually based than others. The CIA and Reagan admit there was CIA drug trafficking involved with the Contra scandal, and there has been a lot of investigative reporting that suggests it goes beyond that.

Of course, take me with a grain of salt because the only source I can site right now is wikipedia and it's sources. So really, I bring nothing to the table.
lorechaser
Just because it's a conspiracy theory doesn't mean it's wrong. wink.gif

I have a couple books on the topic that I picked up at Half-Price books tent sales for about .50 a piece. They have *lots* of sources, but still come off sounding like the mumbling guy on the corner.
Butterblume
In 2003, the federal government, the Bundestag, and the Bundesrat jointly attempted to ban the NPD in a trial before the Federal Constitutional Court, the Bundesverfassungsgericht, the highest court in Germany with the exclusive power to ban parties if they are found to be "anti-constitutional." However, the case was thrown out when it was discovered that a large percentage of the NPD's inner circle were in fact undercover agents or informants of the German secret services. Since the government assemblies were unwilling to fully disclose their agents' identities and activities, the court found it impossible to decide which moves by the party were based on genuine party decisions and which were controlled by the secret services in an attempt to further the ban.

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Demo...rty_of_Germany)

Oh, the possibilities to create (true or not-so-true) conspiracys from this. Like, Humanis is actually controlled by metahumans (I think I read that on board before somewhere).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012