Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skinlink jamming
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Jack Kain
QUOTE (lorechaser)
QUOTE (ixombie @ Nov 11 2006, 11:47 PM)
I guess you could skinlink your devices to your datajack or trodes, but that begs the question - can a datajack give you mental control over whatever device you want?

What *is* the point of a datajack in SR4?

I would very much be in favor of datajacks being the interface for skinlinked, hardwired devices, and comms being the interface for wireless.

Course, I brought back cyberdecks too. wink.gif

Some corp systems are still hard wired and require a datajack to access. Also a datajack can be used in place of a sim module.
A datajack allows the user to interface with any electronic device via a fiberoptic cable.
You can link cyberware devices to each other at your option. So you have smartlink instailed in your eyes and you link it to your datajack. Thus you could string a cable from your datajack to the smartgun and bam. Wireless.

Also there could be various storage devices with out a wireless signa, so a datajack might be requried to access it.

RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
Also a datajack can be used in place of a sim module.

I wasn't aware of that. Do you have a page reference for that?
Moon-Hawk
I had the same reaction, RunnerPaul. But the description of the datajack (edit) on page 331 (/edit) says that you can use it to access BTLs, which leaves me very confused.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Nov 15 2006, 11:57 AM)

I wasn't aware of that. Do you have a page reference for that?

read the various programs that require a sim module they say a datajack can also be used.
"Datajacks also allow users to slot and mentally access chips, softs, and BLTs"

How do you think people hacked before sim modules.
RunnerPaul
Knowsofts and Linguasofts only require a "direct neural link" (p.320-321). The term "direct neural link" only appears one other place in the book, but it would appear to be synonymous with "direct neural interface" (see descriptions of "Change Linked Device Mode" p.135 and p.160) Direct nerual link/interface is not the same thing as the full-blown Simsense signal provided by a Sim Module.

BTL chips come in two playback flavors: dreamdeck chips and direct input chips. The direct input chips are the ones that you can slot directly into a datajack, but that's because there's a limited functionality Sim Module built right into the circuits of the BTL chip itself. (p.250)

As for how people hacked before sim modules, I'd say current day real life hackers get by fine without them, but I'm guessing that's not what you meant. However, even in the context of Shadowrun Era hacking, it was always some device external to or added on to the standard issue datajack that converted computer data to Simsense, and not the datajack itself. You couldn't hack/deck by datajack alone, you always needed the cyberdeck, or at the very least, the program carrier implant. Even Otaku, with their magical cyberdeck brains, needed a bit of hardware called the ASIST converter, a piece of hardware similar in function to SR4's Sim Module, either as an external box that they connected to the matrix through, or as an internal upgrade to the datajack implant.
Fortune
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
Some corp systems are still hard wired and require a datajack to access.

You can use 'trodes.

I don't think so. There is a seperate piece of cyberware that fills this function.

A datajack allows the user to interface with any electronic device via a fiberoptic cable.

You can use 'trodes.

You can link cyberware devices to each other at your option. So you have smartlink instailed in your eyes and you link it to your datajack. Thus you could string a cable from your datajack to the smartgun and bam. Wireless.

You can use 'trodes.

Also there could be various storage devices with out a wireless signa, so a datajack might be requried to access it.

See above answer concerning the 'trodes. wink.gif

RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Fortune)
You can use 'trodes.

I take it, then Fortune, in your games, you allow 'trodes to allow data transfer between implants and outside devices?

Because the way I've always interpreted 'trodes, was that they provided direct neural interface only.
fistandantilus4.0
Oh, and you can use tro.... oh .. hehe.. sorry biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
I take it, then Fortune, in your games, you allow 'trodes to allow data transfer between implants and outside devices?

Because the way I've always interpreted 'trodes, was that they provided direct neural interface only.

I'm not comprehending the difference then. I'll freely admit that this whole part of Shadowrun is my weakest area.

The way I see it is that a 'trode net (or datajack) will allow you to interact with a Commlink. This then allows you to interact with other things. Where am I going wrong?
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Nov 16 2006, 08:49 AM)
Oh, and you can use tro.... oh .. hehe.. sorry

question.gif
Chandon
Some commlinks are going to have a standard port for a data cable on them. Given that, a commlink and trodes should allow you to access any external (i.e. not implanted in you) resource that you could normally access with a datajack.

A datajack is needed in order to connect a standard data cable to your cyberware. That is, in order to get a wired connection to any of your internal cyberware you need a datajack.

How skinlink interacts with this is sort of vague (at least by my quick reading). My interpretation is that only external gear can be equipped with skinlink - so if you want your skinlinked Ingram Smartgun to connect to the smartlink in your cybereye with no wireless the signal needs to be routed as follows:

Ingram -> Commlink (via skinlink on both)
Commlink -> Datajack (via a wire)
Datajack -> Cybereye Smartlink (a datajack is connected to all internal cyberware automatically)

I'd tend to allow an optimistic reading that lets you skinlink your datajack (allowing you to avoid the commlink / wire step), but I don't think that's supported by the RAW.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 15 2006, 05:38 PM)
I'm not comprehending the difference then. I'll freely admit that this whole part of Shadowrun is my weakest area.

The way I see it is that a 'trode net (or datajack) will allow you to interact with a Commlink. This then allows you to interact with other things. Where am I going wrong?

Direct nerual interface: a way to issue commands from your brain to an electronic device. Also allows the device to output information to your brain, but in a limited fashion when compared to a full blown simsense signal.

Data transfer: Moving files or streams of data from one device to another. Keep in mind, the section on Technomancers establishes that the metahuman brain is not capable of data storage.

The former is akin to a keyboard/mouse, or more properly, a force-feedback game controller, since it allows for limited bi-directional communication. The latter would be analogous to using a USB cable to copy music from your computer onto your iPod.

Where the difference matters is when you have data on an implant that has no external connections of its own, and you want to move that data to an external device without using wireless. Say a runner records a video using their cybereyes. They later want to download that video into their external commlink, but don't want to risk someone eavesdropping on the transmission.

If 'trodes can pick up data directly from implants, then all the runner has to do is slap a bit of 'trode paste next to their eye, stick the end of the connection cable into the paste, and download the file.

If 'trodes only provide DNI to the brain, and don't ever interact with implants, then you run into the problem that the brain can not store or process raw computer data. The runner would have to have their cybereyes internally connected to a datajack and plug into that. Alternately, if you have access to a simrig, you could play back the video on the cybereyes' built in image link, and use trodes to make a simsense recording of the runner watching the video (a less than optimal solution, since the video is then filtered through the runner's sensorium). As another alternative, I've heard quite a few GMs allow cyberware implants to be skinlinked, which would provide another means of data transfer.

QUOTE (Chandon)
(a datajack is connected to all internal cyberware automatically)
Implants can be connected to other implants, but nothing says that any implant has to connect to all other implants automatically. If you want want one datajack that connects just to your cybereyes, and a separate datajack that connects to your skillwires, you can have the doc put them in that way.
Fortune
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Direct nerual interface ...

That's cool ... and thanks. I just wasn't quite understanding the distinction you were making.

I always disliked the idea of 'trodes anyway, and have rarely used them in games I have played in (or GM'ed). I prefer the image of ubiquitous Datajacks.
ixombie
I have combed the core book very thoroughly on the difference between 'trodes and datajacks. The difference is: datajacks can link to anything, trodes only link to sim modules.

The crux of it is that trodes are only mentioned as interacting with sim modules, while the datajack specifically says it can directly interface with any electronic device.

Furthermore, you can't use a datajack by itself to access BTLs and other programs which require a sim module - if you could, why does it say in the next column "Sim Modele: An implanted version of the external sim module, popular with sim lovers and BTL users." Obviously, if it was a totally unecessary piece of gear which was replaced by a datajack, they wouldn't have an implanted sim module, and wouldn't pretend it was popular with anyone...

Finally, I don't think datajacks can connect to other devices wirelessly or through skinlink. The "wireless connectivity" rule that states that everything has a "wireless enabled computer," which doesn't necessarily mean that a datajack can link to devices wirelessly. If it could, why would it say it needs a fiber optic in the description? Also, if it could, why would anyone use a PAN? If you could wirelessly or skin-linkingly control all your devices directly, what's the point of slaving them to your commlink?

As for trodes, I think they can connect wirelessy to a sim module, but they only function with a sim module. Furthermore, I don't think you can actually interface with a device via trodes, only recieve simsense from it. Hence why Sketchy Alex uses a scroll wheel since she lacks a datajack on p.209...
Vaevictis
QUOTE (TonkaTuff @ Nov 10 2006, 01:12 AM)
I'm not quite sure what a white noise generator would do in this instance.

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean an sound wave white noise generator, he probably meant an electrical white noise generator.

-----

As far as whether it's possible to jam a skinlink, if you want a physics explanation of it, the answer is absolutely yes.

The skinlink supposedly sends a voltage across the skin to transmit a signal.

You could interfere with this by introducing noise voltage to the skin. You could use a stick-n-shock type device for this if you wanted to, but if you had a strong enough electrical field noise generator, you could generate much the same effect.

Basically, if you can generate an electrical signal in a medium, it's possible to introduce noise into it. It's just that some media are easier to interfere with (ie, introduce noise to) than others.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Chandon)
so if you want your skinlinked Ingram Smartgun to connect to the smartlink in your cybereye with no wireless the signal needs to be routed as follows:

Ingram -> Commlink (via skinlink on both)
Commlink -> Datajack (via a wire)
Datajack -> Cybereye Smartlink (a datajack is connected to all internal cyberware automatically)

I'd tend to allow an optimistic reading that lets you skinlink your datajack (allowing you to avoid the commlink / wire step), but I don't think that's supported by the RAW.

In my games, I simply assume that the 50 nuyen price of a skinlink includes an adapter that connects to your datajack on one end, and your skin on the other, which allows you to circumvent the comm. It's just like when you buy a ps/2 mouse, and it includes a ps/2 -> USB connector. They don't know which you'll have, so they just throw in the tiny piece of electronics to avoid having to accept returns.

I'm very much in favor of allowing the fully hardwired setup, because I can't imagine that certain hard core individuals don't require that. And I figure if you're adding skinlinks, it implies the ability to remove wireless completely.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (ixombie)
I have combed the core book very thoroughly on the difference between 'trodes and datajacks.  The difference is: datajacks can link to anything, trodes only link to sim modules.
Or devices that have built in sim modules.

Furthermore, you can't use a datajack by itself to access BTLs and other programs which require a sim module
I'm not 100% sure of what programs Jack Kain was refering to with his statement about "programs which require a sim module", but I'm thinking he was referring to Knowsofts and Linguasofts. However, if you read closely for the entries on those two, it's merely the "Direct Neural Link" that a sim module can provide that is what's required. Datajacks can also provide this "Direct Neural Link" according to the rules for knowsofts and linguasofts on p.320 and p.321.

As for BTLs, the most common class of BTL, the direct input chip is accessible by direct slotting into a datajack. The section on BTLs on p.250 leaves no question about it; I suggest that you re-read this section before declaring that you can't use a datajack by itself to access BTLs.

Finally, I don't think datajacks can connect to other devices wirelessly or through skinlink.  The "wireless connectivity" rule that states that everything has a "wireless enabled computer," which doesn't necessarily mean that a datajack can link to devices wirelessly.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. it'd be downright silly to put a "wireless enabled computer" into a datajack, if said computer couldn't directly access data going to said jack.

If it could, why would it say it needs a fiber optic in the description?
The word "needs" doesn't appear anywhere in the text on datajacks. It "allows" fiber optic to be used, but in a wireless world there I belive there are other options.

Also, if it could, why would anyone use a PAN?  If you could wirelessly or skin-linkingly control all your devices directly, what's the point of slaving them to your commlink?
Security for one. Bodyware has a device rating of one and Headware has a device rating of three; commlinks can do better than that in the firewall department, and have the system and response available to run beefier IC. Plus, by PAN'ing everything together, you reduce the number of entry points an outside hacker can use to get into your stuff to one: the commlink that's the hub of the PAN.

Furthermore, I don't think you can actually interface with a device via trodes, only recieve simsense from it.  Hence why Sketchy Alex uses a scroll wheel since she lacks a datajack on p.209...
Interesting observation. It feels wrong to me, but I didn't find anything in the SR4 book to refute it on a casual flip through.
Penta
A brief question to the freelancers: One of the books to come will answer all these questions re skinlink, right?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Penta)
A brief question to the freelancers: One of the books to come will answer all these questions re skinlink, right?
One would hope. Unless of course, they get covered in the FAQ. (Though I can't remember if anyone had skinlink questions when Bull solicited questions for the Matrix/Wireless portion of the FAQ a while back).

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Furthermore, I don't think you can actually interface with a device via trodes, only recieve simsense from it.  Hence why Sketchy Alex uses a scroll wheel since she lacks a datajack on p.209...
Interesting observation. It feels wrong to me, but I didn't find anything in the SR4 book to refute it on a casual flip through.
One thing did occur to me after I posted this: trode users accessing the matrix in full VR could not be placed under a full body RAS override, because a limp-asleep body couldn't manipulate thumbwheels or AR Gloves or any of the other common input methods used as an alternative to Direct Neural Interface. While partial RAS override is not unheard of in SR (previous editions made allowances for partial RAS overrides, to allow deckers to use the keyboards on their cyberdecks while immersed in full VR), SR4's description of RAS override is a superficial one, only describing the full-body effect.
Chandon
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Unless of course, they get covered in the FAQ.

I'm not sure if I really believe in the FAQ any more. I was looking through my old forum posts and there's one from over a year ago whining about the FAQ not being out yet.
Fortune
I work better with examples ... I'll use my favorite ...

Quik Rik has lately become concerned about cyber-security, having listened to one too many horror stories told over late night Starbucks' soycafs by his hacker pal ARson.

He has Cybereyes with an internal Smartlink, a Datajack which has been adapted to also be Skinlink-compatable, an off-the-rack Novotech Airwave with a pre-installed Iris Orb Operating System, and an array of pistols, each and every one of them with an internal Smartink and Skinlink capability.

Can he set up a system whereby his guns communicate with his Datajack, and hence his Cybereyes via Skinlink, independant of his Commlink, while at the same time running a wireless PAN incorporating his Commlink and, of course, the Datajack/Eyeware combo?
Chandon
Fortune: Given a skinlinked datajack, the answer should be yes. You do run into an amusing situation though where a Hacker can hack your gun wirelessly by going through your commlink and eyes.
Fortune
So I'd need a seperate Firewall installed somewher along the way ... maybe the Cybereyes?

But the Skinlinked 'PAN' would be all but unhackable if the 'Commlink-wireless PAN' was deactivated, correct?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fortune)
But the Skinlinked 'PAN' would be all but unhackable if the 'Commlink-wireless PAN' was deactivated, correct?

Unless a technomancer or another skinlinked person shakes your hand, yes.
I suppose that the prefered greeting gesture of 2070 is going to be the thumb-in-ear finger wave.

Skinlink hacking is actually a very good use for subdual combat.
Fortune
I told you I worked better with examples. Thanks. smile.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Chandon)
I'm not sure if I really believe in the FAQ any more.

The fact that FanPro has the freelancers actively soliciting questions for the FAQ on Dumpshock, and Adam is saying it's coming "real soon now" gives me hope.

I haven't gotten to the point to where I'm factoring perusing the SR4 FAQ into the decision of whether or not I want to read Shadows of Latin America while listening to Guns & Roses Chinese Democracy before or after playing Duke Nukem Forever on the day that they all come out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012