Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: xbox, playstation, or wii?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Hocus Pocus
i think i might buy a console system by the end of the year, i'm trying to decide which one i should go with. Xbox seems to be more shoot'em up games and sports games. I love rpg and stragety which i dont' know if the playstation will keep it's dominace in the field. Yeah they got Final Fantasy series, but since the last great one (tactics) I haven't held much confidence (though the new one looks good). WII will be the cheapest, with 2 kids and a nagging wife I"m constantly strapped for cash, and i think it would have more kid friendly games as well.

thoughts?
Garrowolf
I'm going to get the wii because I like the controllers. I've been wanting those kind of controllers for years now. Plus it's alot cheaper thn the others.

Second choice is the PS3. I just can't EVER afford it.
Firewall
Wii first, then I might buy a 360. There is nothing about the PS3 that excites me, nothing that won't have a release on the other consoles. I never got into Final Fantasy, I was too busy playing Zelda. My wife likes the Suikoden games but I can grab her a PS2 to play those on. Well, a PS1 if I am honest; she prefers the older ones to the newer ones.

I played the 360, though I don't like its emphasis on FPS games. If I want an FPS, I will buy it for my PC.
eidolon
PC.

Best, console, ever. wink.gif
Moon-Hawk
I already have a great PC, an XBox, and a Gamecube. (just for background)
I have a Wii on reserve. They seem to be more focused on innovation and gameplay, rather than OMFG-GRAFFIX!!!!1
I plan to buy a 360 when they get a larger game base, and I might pick up an old PS2 when they're super-cheap, 'cause they do have some good titles.
A PS3 would pretty much have to fall on me. I don't plan on buying one, ever.
Zolhex
Wii to start with till say 3 or 4 years from now when the PS3 is finally reasonablely priced. till then I'll stay with my PC and PS2 and yes Hocus Pocus I do like FF12
2bit
Chances are you won't be able to get a PS3 this year anyway, just considering their ridiculous shortage. 360 and Wii you'll have no problem getting ahold of.

360 will have good rpg and strategy titles, but is really a "boy's club" system just like the xbox was. Depending on your home situation, that could be disruptive.

Wii will have a lot more family friendly games, and will have more of a "toy" feel to it. It's also the only system of the three that doesn't feature a DVD player, if that makes any difference to you.
PBTHHHHT
boy's club?! whatever do you mean? I mean, sure they had that DOA volleyball game... wink.gif
Hocus Pocus
what's the deal with the controlers of wii?

wii has no dvd player?, been using my PS2 as the dvd player ever since our dvd/vhs one gave up the ghost

PC-i really want to be able to play with my older kid. My wife used to play games while we were going out. I want to try to get her interested (if she ever was to begin with or was just faking) and have something else we enjoy doing together. And the only thing I'ved noticed that i might need to use a PC is online games which I've realised monopolized my time away from the family

overall if i can get a system with alot of kid and family games first, and then my favorites of stragety and rpg along with the cheapest I"d be happy

Final fantasy- never got into it?!?! then you must not have played 1,2,3(the best) i highly reccomend it, then you'll know what a video game masterpiece is yes indeedy!
(oh celes my darling I'm here for you!)
Kagetenshi
For what it's worth, I'm probably going with a PS3. Amazing first-party titles, backwards compatibility, potential for seven simultaneous players on a single console, and the fact that Team Silent is almost certainly making SH5 for it makes it compelling, and the news that it will apparently be highly general-purpose with a Linux base just barely makes the (extremely high) price swallowable.

~J
Zolhex
QUOTE (Hocus Pocus)
Final fantasy- never got into it?!?! then you must not have played 1,2,3(the best)

you mean 2,4,6 right? lol
Hocus Pocus
1,2,3(the best)

*disclaimer...US versions*

nyahnyah.gif

played my final fantasy VI soundtrack today while I was cleaning up the house. Pluperfect masterpiece.
Kagetenshi
I've been kinda down on pluperfect music lately. Give me a good future perfect album any day.

~J
Hocus Pocus
nyahnyah.gif

saw my first wii commercial today. kid was playing a ww2 game and pretending to shoot and punch and the controls responded and the game emulated what he did. Hmm i dunno about that...
Hocus Pocus
read some stories of people camping for the consoles.
hyzmarca
Wii, from the reviews I've seen it delivers what it was created to deliever, a new type of gaming experince for both hardcore and casual gamers alike.

The Playstation 3 is tempting, but not until they've worked the bugs out. The PS1and PS2 emulators don't work right, potentially rendering hundreds of popular games unplayable.
Kagetenshi
Report is that about two hundred games don't work correctly, where "don't work correctly" ranges between "totally unplayable" to "cutscenes don't play sound" (which varies widely in importance by game) to "background music sometimes doesn't play" (which, granted, again can be very important for some games).

As for which games they are, some of them are popular. Most of the ones I've seen, though, I've never heard of, and a decent chunk I'm pretty certain aren't even available outside Japan. If you go for importing, though, that'd be an issue (but your first issue would be, if living outside Japan, getting a Japanese PS3—while PS3 games aren't region-locked, the console apparently obeys the region-locking on PS2 and PS1 titles.), but most people shouldn't be bothered much.

Most of the big-name problems stem from the fact that there's no emulation of the PS2 hard drive. That one's a showstopper for several big games, FFXI most notably.

~J
hyzmarca
One of the big problems (I dare say the biggest) is that the emulator isn't really an emulator, it is an interpreter. This is true for all of emulators for all of the later generation consoles simply because emulating advanced graphics hardware is so processor intensive that it isn't feasible on any modern computers. Instead, the "emulators" are programed to interpret the game software and run it on the hardware that is present.

Sony uses their own SDKs as the basis for their interpreter and this is the most obvious solution. The only problem is that many games use nonstandard techniques in order to get the most out of the available hardware. While they would work fine on perfect hardware emulation, one must program the interpreter to recognize those programing techniques.

Because of this, they have to implement customs fixes for every nonstandard programing technique and this takes time.
Kagetenshi
The PS2 hard drive would have to be emulated, as unless I remember very poorly indeed, the PS2 didn't handle multiple partitions on its hard drives and the PS3 needs its own chunk of the hard drive.

As for PS2 support, it's handled with an entire hardware PS2 (actually, I think calls to video hardware are interpreted). It's not emulated, but there's no interpretation going on there either.

Short answer: apart from the hard drive issue, most major issues are due to developers doing things they shouldn't have been doing. Most developers that are willing to do things they shouldn't be are smaller outfits, hence most games that have trouble are not what you might call "widely known".

~J
BlueRondo
At this point, I don't have much interest in any of the new consoles, but I must give kudos to Nintendo for actually making some innovative hardware. None of the games using the technology really interest me right now, but I think it definitely has potential. I hope someone figures out a way to make a game with fun swordplay (Red Steel, from what I hear, failed to deliver in that regard.)
Kagetenshi
"Innovative" is debatable. It's an idea that's been done before a number of times, Nintendo just is doing it when it's actually feasible (or at least that's what it looks like).

No one used a remote-control interface for the motion-sensing before, granted.

~J
eidolon
A man in Minnesota was shot and robbed walking out of a Wal-Mart with his new PS3. Fucking. Ridiculous.

I mean, fuck. Where are our damn priorities and how fucked up are our perspectives when we FUCKING SHOOT PEOPLE OVER A DAMN VIDEO GAME MACHINE?????

Disgusting.
clegrady
There were also three similar incidents in WI, KT, and CT.
Fortune
Is it bad to say that I am not in the least surprised?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 18 2006, 04:57 PM)
"Innovative" is debatable. It's an idea that's been done before a number of times, Nintendo just is doing it when it's actually feasible (or at least that's what it looks like).
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (eidolon)
A man in Minnesota was shot and robbed walking out of a Wal-Mart with his new PS3. Fucking. Ridiculous.

I mean, fuck. Where are our damn priorities and how fucked up are our perspectives when we FUCKING SHOOT PEOPLE OVER A DAMN VIDEO GAME MACHINE?????

Disgusting.

A friend of ours that works at a gamestop jhere in aOhio was robbed at gunpoint, the last 3 PS3s he had that morning were taken. I personally feel it pretty much sums up the amount of assinine energy people put into these things. I mean, someone got on Ebay and bid all the PS3 auctions up to 15K yesterday too...

I might get a 360 here in a few months (after the holidaze rush) when the HD comes standard and they have bigger hard drives. But I have more pressing multimedia concerns for my new place right now (cause its new PC time... plus 2 media center PCs, plus the 50 inch screen, and the 37 inch one for the game room... oh, and the payments on this place wink.gif )
Adam
There are probably 50+ awesome games I haven't played for the PS2, all of which could be found used for under 20 bucks at this point, and with the amount I play video games, I'm good for another 10 years or so... wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (eidolon @ Nov 18 2006, 09:10 PM)
how fucked up are our perspectives when we FUCKING SHOOT PEOPLE OVER A DAMN VIDEO GAME MACHINE?????

Less fucked up than when we were fucking shooting people over a damn pair of sneakers?

Expensive item causes involved in theft. News at 11.

~J

(Edit: corrected self)
clegrady
QUOTE (Fortune)
Is it bad to say that I am not in the least surprised?

Nope.. Because the same thing happened in the 80's with the cabbage patch kids..
eidolon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Nov 18 2006, 09:10 PM)
how fucked up are our perspectives when we FUCKING SHOOT PEOPLE OVER A DAMN VIDEO GAME MACHINE?????

Less fucked up than when we were fucking shooting people over a damn pair of sneakers?

Expensive item causes involved in theft. News at 11.

~J

(Edit: corrected self)

No, not different at all. And not lessened in sheer idiocy because there's precedent. Especially when the assholes (read: Sony and Microsoft) are Creating a False Shortage to incite this kind of jackassery.

I'm with Caine and Adam here though (to get away from my vitriol on the subject wink.gif). I just bought a new notebook PC, and I'm far enough behind on good PC games that I'll never need a console.

On a somewhat related/random note, a friend and I were discussing the old "PC vs Console" debates of times past (not that they don't still occur, but I'm getting to that). We basically boiled it down to the following observations:

- PC gamers also tend to want to be able to do other things with their machine/investment, whereas console buyers are happy with (and indeed just want something) that it plays video games really well.
- In cases where money is no object, someone is likely to have both (best of both worlds scenario, if you will)
- Given setups specifically geared toward gaming, both a PC and a console perform well, as opposed to Olden Times™ when PC games surpassed the depth, breadth, and graphics of console games
- The market is different for PC gamers and console gamers; the PC market is generally games that are a significant time investment (CPRGs, etc) and that go longer between releases, whereas the console market is "flavor of the week"-ish, with games coming out that you're expected to get bored with after a few weeks of intense play and then move on to the next release (that's not to say that games of the other type don't come out for the opposite system, see Oblivion for X-box and "quickie shooters" for PC)

That's what we came up with (in like, 2 minutes of um...deep and well thought out discussion...yeah). I'm sure other people have different takes on it.
Moon-Hawk
The Wii is amazingly fun. Wii sports are pretty simplistic, but they're designed to be accessible, not 100% realistic. There will be more realistic sports game coming for those who want to worry about the difference between an 8-iron and a 9-iron.
Zelda: Twilight Princess is really fun. I've heard it being critisized as 'dated', but accusing it of being too much like Ocarina of Time, arguably one of the best console games ever made, isn't all that bad.
I'll admit Red Steel isn't quite what I'd hoped it would be, but it is still a lot of fun. Definitely worth renting for the experience of playing it, even if you don't buy it.
The Wii has worse graphics than the other next-gen consoles, and a heck of a lot less processing power, but it is, IMHO, the most fun console I've ever laid my hands on.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (eidolon)
Especially when the assholes (read: Sony and Microsoft) are Creating a False Shortage to incite this kind of jackassery.

I can't speak to what Microsoft did or didn't do. For Sony, though, bull-fucking-shit there's a false shortage. Seriously, they had less than half a million consoles available worldwide. That is disastrous. I find it inconceivable that anyone could believe that something that stupefyingly bad in terms of supplies could have been deliberate. I'm not saying that deliberate shortages are never caused (though I find it questionable), but saying this about the PS3 launch is about on the level as saying that, I don't know, John Kerry rigged the 2004 elections to remove votes for him. You're going to have to provide some serious evidence if you want me to take that seriously.

~J
eidolon
If you honestly thought that what Sony did doesn't count as deliberate, maybe you're just not paying attention. Do you really think that nobody at Sony knew, prior to the release date, that having less than a half a million consoles ready to ship at release was a bad idea? Or do you think that nobody bothered to check to see how many there were and how much demand there would be?

These are the guys that made the PS1, the PS2....they're not exactly new to this.

Don't agree if you don't want to, but I don't think I'm the one that has to prove anything here.
Moon-Hawk
I'll ask the naive question, Eidolon. What's the purpose in this? Why create the false shortage? Doesn't that cause them to make less money, by selling less units? If PS3s are selling for $9,000 (I almost put 9000 nuyen) on ebay, Sony isn't seeing anything past their initial sale anyway. So why?
Witness
Despite being a Playstation fan and owning a PS2, I weakened and treated myself to a X360 last month (reward for having completed my thesis at last).

First X360 unit was faulty and had to be returned in about a week. Not had that problem with a console before, but the replacement has been fine.

I got it mainly for Oblivion, which I couldn't have run on my PC or laptop without massive investment (that and in some ways I prefer gaming on consoles- it's just a more social activity that way).

The wireless controllers are great. But you'll get them for PS3 as far as I know.

Have played Oblivion for hours and hours. Great game- though would presumably be just as good or better on a top-level PC or PS3.

Borrowed various original xbox games off friends, and managed- for most of them- to do the downloading nonsense necessary to make them playable on the X360. No way to get Chronicles of Riddick working though, which is a shame, as I'd heard good things.

Other X360 games acquired so far: Test Drive Unlimited- which is huge and looks great but hasn't entirely held my attention; Dead Rising- which is fun and wonderfully cinematic, and it's great to see hundreds of zombies on screen at the same time, but it's seriously hampered by almost illegible text (we don't all have HD TV's, Capcom), and an annoyingly sparse savepoint system.

Nevertheless, all these games are good showcases of next-gen console gaming.

Just acquired Gears of War. Yes it's another FPS, albeit with tactics, but it certainly is very very good, beautiful to behold, and almost painfully intense.

So thats the X360. I don't regret buying it, and I think there are some good games out there for it. What worries me about the PS3 is that I haven't seen any particularly appealing games for it yet. But knowing Sony that'll change.

Still, not sure I'll bother getting a PS3 unless I've got an HD TV (which won't be for quite a while) and can take full advantage of the blu-ray. May well pick up a Wii at some point, just because it looks like a fun thing. Will depend on the games though. It's all about the games.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (eidolon)
If you honestly thought that what Sony did doesn't count as deliberate, maybe you're just not paying attention. Do you really think that nobody at Sony knew, prior to the release date, that having less than a half a million consoles ready to ship at release was a bad idea? Or do you think that nobody bothered to check to see how many there were and how much demand there would be?

Worse than missing the holiday season, thus not only giving the 360 a second holiday season without Sony's new entry but giving Nintendo one?

Maybe someone else can reality-check this, but from where I stand you've got a huge burden of proof here. "Think horses, not zebras" and all that.

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
If PS3s are selling for $9,000 (I almost put 9000 nuyen) on ebay, Sony isn't seeing anything past their initial sale anyway.

They do if they hold back a fair number of units and then put them up on e-bay themselves. wink.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Nov 21 2006, 08:43 AM)
If PS3s are selling for $9,000 (I almost put 9000 nuyen) on ebay, Sony isn't seeing anything past their initial sale anyway.

They do if they hold back a fair number of units and then put them up on e-bay themselves. wink.gif

That has to be illegal.
Doesn't it?
And even if it isn't, could they really get away with that without anyone finding out?
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 20 2006, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Nov 21 2006, 08:43 AM)

That has to be illegal.
Doesn't it?
And even if it isn't, could they really get away with that without anyone finding out?

I don't know about legality, but I do know that at least 100 units were "disappeared" before delivery. Which was probably less than Sony was expecting to write off, and I'll be there are warehouse/shipping folks who will make a pretty profit before Christmas.

Not that this kinda thing happens all the time....
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
That has to be illegal.
Doesn't it?

Serious question: why would (or should) it be?

That said, even Sony must be bright enough to recognize the PR nightmare it would be (despite the fact that it's pretty much the only sensible way to handle a launch this small… c'est la vie).

~J
eidolon
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I'll ask the naive question, Eidolon. What's the purpose in this? Why create the false shortage? Doesn't that cause them to make less money, by selling less units? If PS3s are selling for $9,000 (I almost put 9000 nuyen) on ebay, Sony isn't seeing anything past their initial sale anyway. So why?

Hype. Create a false shortage to ensure initial sales are 100%, then leak them onto the market until it's not the "it" thing as much anymore, keeping the sales up, and then ship normal numbers. Yes, later demand will be slightly lessened, since all of the early adopters and "have to have it nows" have already stood in their riots to get one, but look at stores that still couldn't keep PS2s in stock a year or so after their release.

And as far as not seeing the profits off of resold units, they know it's going to happen. And all it does is further the hype. Hype is sales, especially in these kinds of markets.

Kage, look at reality man. Do you think that Sony couldn't have upped production? Couldn't have just contracted a couple more manufacturers to build components? I'm sure at a certain point it stops being a good enough ROI, but fuck man, look at every other electronic component on Earth. They ship more initial units of a home theater system than they did the PS3. Yeah, okay, maybe the market is larger for speakers and a DVD player. But 500k units for "the" next console mother of all consoles we're gonna roxxor your soxxors? And "miss the holiday season"? Last I checked, it's not even Thanksgiving until this Thursday. Want to sell every unit in about 5 minutes? Launch on the day after turkey-fest.

But hey, think what you want. I'm not saying I know 100% beyond any doubt period end of story that I'm totally the rightzorz. I'm just saying it makes far more sense than thinking that Sony
a: didn't know what the demand would be
b: couldn't up production.

Hype hype hype.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (eidolon @ Nov 20 2006, 10:25 PM)
Kage, look at reality man.  Do you think that Sony couldn't have upped production?  Couldn't have just contracted a couple more manufacturers to build components?

Yes.

Seriously. They would have sold out trivially at one million units. At eight hundred thousand units, it would have been vaguely believable that it would have been deliberate. At six hundred thousand I wouldn't believe it, but I wouldn't argue against it, either.

At, from all reports, well under 500,000? There's no way the hype is making up for that, and word on the street says that the next shipment is at least ten days out, meaning that launching on Black Friday gets them nothing.

With a launch so tiny, I find it preposterous to think that even Sony would do it deliberately.

~J
eidolon
Okay. Agree to disagree.

Whale's vagina. wink.gif
[ Spoiler ]
Moon-Hawk
Could be. I don't know enough to form a strong opinion, so I'll just stockpile rumors in my head. smile.gif
Personally, I think Sony is going to lose this round of console wars, and their next console won't be called the PS4.
I doubt I'll ever buy a PS3, because for the money I could get 12+ Wii games. I can't say enough good things about the Wii. It's just more fun. (more fun than any other console I've played, although I admit I haven't played a PS3, and have barely touched an XBOX 360, so take that for what it's worth)
Oh, and I picked up Trauma Center: Second Opinion yesterday. I never played the DS version, but this game is also extremely fun.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (eidolon @ Nov 21 2006, 10:11 AM)
Agree to disagree.

No!

wink.gif

Moon-Hawk: define "lose"?

~J
eidolon
@Moon-Hawk,

It'd be interesting. I wonder what they'd call it? NPS4? wink.gif

What games have you played on the Wii so far?

edit: Oops, a few posts up. I can read...
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Moon-Hawk: define "lose"?

By "lose", I mean in the same sense that Nintendo "lost" the last round with the Gamecube. It was, by far, the least successful, and was really only saved by their exclusive titles like Zelda and Metroid. It didn't fail, of course, it lasted the whole generation and continues to be somewhat successful, but the XBox and PS2 definitely beat the pants off of it, and I think Nintendo took a bit of a reputation hit from it as well. I think the same thing will happen with the PS3. I think it will be the least popular of the three, and that Sony's reputation will take a bit of a hit, but I think it will continue to release games and be played throughout this generation. But if it does poorly, they might want to change the "Playstation" name to distance themselves from the "shame", if there is any. I don't know, it's way too early to say anything for sure, just idle speculation.

@eidolon (so people don't have to search up the tread): Wii sports, Zelda, Red Steel, and Trauma Center, all with short reviews earlier in the thread. I'm happy to answer any specific questions about the console or the games.
I haven't actually used it to play any Gamecube games yet, I just haven't gotten around to it, and I don't have a wireless router at my apartment, and I haven't bought the USB network adapter thingy for it, so I haven't used any of the online features either.
Kagetenshi
Well, it would be worse than that—it would be how Nintendo "lost" with the N64 (overwhelming market dominance to merely existence within the market). That said, I was trying to clear up whether you meant that kind of loss, the Dreamcast kind of loss, the XBox kind of loss (possibly-pyhrric victory), or the "came in something other than first" kind of loss, as they're all losses of a kind but very different.

Edit: I should add that the Gamecube outsold the XBox by a small margin on the worldwide front, and actually made (as opposed to losing) money. It's far from "definite" that the XBox beat the pants off of it.

~J
Moon-Hawk
I meant something in the Gamecube to N64 level of loss. I guess you're right, N64 is probably a better analogy than Gamecube in some ways. I don't expect Dreamcast levels of loss. Sony can weather one bad console, as long as they don't have two in a row. Nintendo was only able to get away with two weak consoles in a row because they're Nintendo, and I think the Wii is really going to either return them to the head of the pack or boot them out of the console market, 'cause not even Nintendo can handle three weak consoles in a row.
But, from the looks of things so far, Nintendo is going to come out of this round in pretty good shape.

edit: regarding your edit: Good points about the Gamecube. I just always got the impression that the XBox did better. I have both, and I've really enjoyed both.
mintcar
Sony had troubles with manufacturing, that's a fact. I don't believe they deliberatly delayed release in Europe until March next year. Eidolon is right in a way, though. Because even if they didn't have problems with getting enough components for the blueray player, they would still have had a minor shortage that would have been deliberate. There was a delay with Sony's stand alone blueray player too, so it's not just the PS3. And the lack of a Sony blueray on the market was not a good thing for Sony, as it's their format and there were already HDDVD players out, so that delay was absolutly not deliberate.

Nintendo makes money off of every console they sell, and they rule the handheld market. They're not even bothered by this console war.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012