Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Illegal Ammo
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DarkLight
A question about obtaining ammo...

The SR4 rulebook mentions that ammo prices are per pack of 10...

So if the characters are trying to obtain black market ammo... Let's say they want 100 rounds of EX-Explosive... how do you roll it?

Do they need to roll 10 times? Or just once?

I'm worried about setting a precident to allow them to roll just once because it could make it too easy...

Thoughts?
kzt
Ammo is typically packaged in boxes of 20 (fancy pistol and rifle), 50 (cheap pistol or LE ammo), 200 (rifle battlepacks), and cases of 1000. The 1000 and 200 boxes typically contain numerous 20 or 50 round boxes.

The ammo prices in Shadowrun are insane. Of course, the rules for they work are worse. There are many ways to learn how guns really work. Shadowrun designers seem to have chosen bad novels and cheap movies as their only reference material. It would be like writing the vehicle rules based solely on Speed Racer episodes.
DarkLight
I agree... but I need some kind of system so the players can't get too many too easily.
Adept_Damo
Why, just let them have their ammo. What possible reason do you have for runners not to be able to purchase ammo for their guns, that's stupid.
Mistwalker
Part of it will depend on what kind of setting you want.

My players have bought Ex-Ex ammo by the case of 1000. They asked a Fixer of theirs to acquire it for them. It took a couple of game sessions before it was available. We play once a week.

Other problem you have to worry about, is what do you equip your NPCs with? Regular and have the problems of not being able to seriously hurt the runners, or specialty ammo (APDS or Ex-EX or S&S)? If so, then your players will loot at least the ammo.
DarkLight
QUOTE (Adept_Damo)
Why, just let them have their ammo. What possible reason do you have for runners not to be able to purchase ammo for their guns, that's stupid.

The idea is to keep them from having tons of the stuff. Obtaining illegal ammo should be hard for a beginning group.
Butterblume
Personally, I go with regular ammo most of the time. That's why it is called regular. If most people used APDS, APDS would be called regular (and the regular ammo might be called archaic wink.gif).

If my players really wanted to, they could buy truckloads of ammo at once. Of course, buying several tons of forbidden ammunition might just call the attention of some government agency, like the ATF (or whatever is appropriate in SR).
blakkie
QUOTE (DarkLight @ Nov 19 2006, 01:26 PM)
I'm worried about setting a precident to allow them to roll just once because it could make it too easy...

Thoughts?

Rolling once is probably fine, because it does take longer. Going from 10 rounds to 20-100 rounds doubles the time to obtain (interval increases from 12 hours to 1 day). 110-1000 rounds quadruples the time (interval 2 days).

P.S. Of course there are issues with ammo, but just clogging up the game with rolling, rolling, rolling is a crappy way to deal with that. Especially since it generally doesn't.
blakkie
QUOTE (DarkLight @ Nov 19 2006, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (Adept_Damo @ Nov 19 2006, 03:16 PM)
Why, just let them have their ammo.  What possible reason do you have for runners not to be able to purchase ammo for their guns, that's stupid.

The idea is to keep them from having tons of the stuff. Obtaining illegal ammo should be hard for a beginning group.

When was the last time you saw runners use 'tons' of ammo and things worked out well? Yeah, sometimes it happens, but usually when there is 'tons' of ammo involved very bad things have happened....or the GM set up a senario that assumed lots of shooting. If the later then what's the problem with letting characters have access to the ammo? Oh yeah that's right, the special ammo stats are ---insane---. So what is the real problem then, assuming there is one? The ammo stats.
Jaid
if you wish to limit it a bunch, increase the availability per 10 rounds wanted.

thus, reasonable amounts of ammo are not usually very hard to get, but insane amounts (for example, enough ex-ex to refill a half dozen drones) is gonna be a different matter entirely.
Fortune
The only time I'd even think of limiting the amount of ammo my Players could get is if we were talking about really special ammunition ... PAC or Barrett rounds and the like.

Normal (meaning most other kinds) ammo should be readily available. Keep in mind that just because they buy a lot, doesn't automatically mean they can carry it all.
Penta
Or store it all, particularly safely.

Any of our veterans here have any stories to tell about why that may be a relevant factor?smile.gif
ElFenrir
Im cool with letting the folks get the ammo they need, if the availability rolls go through. However, increasing availability per 100 rounds is pretty decent, i think. 100 rounds is a good amount, shouldnt need more unless stuffs really gonna fly...and i can see every 100 it become a little harder to get(maybe 1 increase per 100.)

Barret rounds, they test per box. That stuff is so damned powerful anyway most Barrett PCs usually load about 300 rounds of the stuff at chargen, once they see the availability per box is rougly that of a monowhip.

Thing is, Barret rounds can be hard to get. One box, 10 shots, 10 targets dead. Yeah, that can stay tough grinbig.gif
IvanTank
IMO, i think that the growth rate of availability should be logarithmic, not linear. ex.
10 bullets -> +0 availability
20 -> +1
50 -> +2
100 -> +3
200 -> +4
500 -> +5
1000 -> +6

and so on.

The above is not strictly logarithmic, but its easier for people who don't like thinking in base 2.

I wouldn't use this for char gen, only when looking for ammo, or other stuff in large amounts, in game.
Wakshaani
Combine it to get the total price, then note how Availability and Price interact. (IE, a Y50 order takes a few hours, a Y50,000 takes QUITE a bit longer) ... feel free to season with inflated Street Index as well.

"You want EXEX? Chummer, do you *know* how much demand there is for ... alright, alright, that's what I'm here for after all. Just don't complain when it shows up..."
crash2029
I have a story about ammo storage difficulties. My character John and my friend's character Dagger were hired to break a colleague out of a 'Star intermediary holding facility. IE: jail. Anyways we busted in and found some heavy resistance against the guards. Dagger, being his usual brilliant tossed an IPE HE grenade through a port in the armaglass window that protected the quartermaster. Yeah. Boom. Inside were about 15 cases of grenades and over 15000 rounds of EX-ex ammo. In a small room. The resulting not only chunky salsa-ed the guard but the entire jail as well. At that point the fireball hit the propane tank next to the wall. And then engulfed the main 'Star armory and motor pool in downtown Seattle. We ended up with a quarter-mile long crater in downtown. The moral of the story, my friend doesn't get grenades anymore. Period.
Jack Kain
It should be remembered that the ammo isn't very interchangable. Assualt rifle rounds won't work in a machine pistol. So if the party uses heavy pistols and assault rifles. They won't be able to use the EX-Explosive ammo from light pistols and submachine guns.

As a GM you can easily increase the cost ALOT for a bulk buy like that.

"Hey AL I need some more EX-Explosive rounds for my machine pistols"
"Well sure Jack, I can hook you up how much you looking for?"
"Oh about 300 rounds, that be 10 clips" (That be 6000 nuyen)
"Dear god Jack, listen its going to take along time to get a hold of that much EXEX unless you want to pay a premium mark up. Say 300%? plus my usual percent"
"That stuff already cost me 10 nuyen per shot and you want to jack it up to 30. FINE how much and how long for 60 rounds?"
"Oh well in that case I can get it to you in three to four days for at standard price plus my usualy percentage"
"You've got a deal Al"

hyzmarca
There is such a thing as a bulk discount for a reason. Large quantities are actually cheaper per unit for both the manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers.

The way I see it, illegal to own does not equal illegal to sell. With extraterritoriality there is no good reason for legitimate arms dealers to not sell military weapons to civilians. Just get your Ex-ex rounds from Weapons World like everyone else. If Weapons World is out of stock then try the Crime Mall.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Nov 19 2006, 10:32 PM)
There is such a thing as a bulk discount for a reason. Large quantities are actually cheaper per unit for both the manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers.

The way I see it, illegal to own does not equal illegal to sell. With extraterritoriality there is no good reason for legitimate arms dealers to not sell military weapons to civilians. Just get your Ex-ex rounds from Weapons World like everyone else. If Weapons World is out of stock then try the Crime Mall.

Bulk discount doesn't exactly work in a high demand ilegal product. It doesn't take much of a scanner to detect a massive quanity of the special ammo. It also assumes they have that much on hand. Attempting to buy a 1,000 rounds of EXEX ammo from your dealer can be hard if he only gets that much every month and isn't prepared to screw his other clients just for you. Buying in bulk is cheeper for various reason One is you save a but load on shipping. Its easier to ship 10,000 units to one location then to 1,000 locations. However "bulk" usually means alot. I don't thing 600 rounds is very bulk. A ten thousand rounds of ammo would be bulk

When dealing with extraterritoriality you have to deal with checkpoints (which has tighter secturity and mroe scans) or border jumping, where you won't be taking a bulk shipment while trying to sneak across the border unnoticed.
Jaid
yeah, bulk doesn't mean cheap necessarily. if there's low supply, then increasing demand just makes the price go up.

now, i'll agree that getting regular ammo isn't gonna cause this problem, but ex-ex is the kind of thing that governments make a point of not letting you have. hence the 12F availability.

furthermore, most of the reasons buying in bulk makes things cheaper don't apply to buying stuff illegally. generally, you're looking at smuggling things out in small quantities at a time (comparatively speaking), so buying in bulk does not get you a discount because the seller isn't 'producing' it in bulk.
Konsaki
I'm with Jaid on this one. It makes more sense.
Crusher Bob
You can always break info an ammo storage facility and make off with some. Or have you hacker forge a valid end user certificate and order a few hundred thousand rounds.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
You can always break info an ammo storage facility and make off with some. Or have you hacker forge a valid end user certificate and order a few hundred thousand rounds.

oh yeah just break into the place where they make the weapons. Why not just rob a gunshop with knife? You can bet that place would have high security and quick responce from local law enforcement or even military. Every crate would have a secruity and stealth tag. (which by the way are immune to the tag eraiser) It be a nightmare to find and remove each one.
And I'd wager those guards would be using the very ammo you've come to steal.

And just how would a hacker forge a certificate that would allow them to buy all those rounds? If the security had an average logic of 2 or more, they'd see through it. Either from payment coming from a private off shore account as opposed to a corparte or military one. Or payment in the form of credsticks. Not to mention they'd have top of the line backround checks on the runners fake sin cards. If a runner happens to have a real sin the card they could just kiss it goodbye as the card would be linked to the sale of a truck load of bullets.

Not to mention buying a bulk shipment could cost you a couple million.
Crusher Bob
Not all 'valid end users' have air tight security. Pretending to be the UCAS army, or a representative of Areas marcotech will almost certainly fail. Pretending to be a purchasing agent of the Democratic Peoples Republic of the Congo (or whatever) will be much simpler. Ammunition for small arms is just not that big of a deal.

If your runners can't defeat the moderate security of an ammo storage facility, then how can they hope to defeat the security of the typical run target. The typical run target is much more heavily protected that a lot of things the runners might want to steal.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Nov 20 2006, 01:13 AM)
Not all 'valid end users' have air tight security.  Pretending to be the UCAS army, or a representative of Areas marcotech will almost certainly fail.  Pretending to be a purchasing agent of the Democratic Peoples Republic of the Congo (or whatever) will be much simpler.  Ammunition for small arms is just not that big of a deal.

If your runners can't defeat the moderate security of an ammo storage facility, then how can they hope to defeat the security of the typical run target.  The typical run target is much more heavily protected that a lot of things the runners might want to steal.

Maybe you think a weapons depoy storing military hardware would be low to moderate security but I don't.
If it was so easy, as you make it claim it wouldn't have availbility 12F. (I am talking about EXEX here)
I also don't think that they'd just accept the card or what ever from the backwater country and say here you go now fork over the cred. They'd do the legwork and check up on it. So near as I can tell buying from the source really isn't an option until the runners become really powerful and skilled. Or just live where its legal to carry the stuff.

Those kind of forge'd IDs are supposed to fail with a little checking, at least according to the rules.
Making valid SIN card's requires a vast underground network. Your talking about the same kind of thing. (you'd also need a valid attached sin card) your UCAS sin card won't help if the "end user lisence" is for Peru.

And if the hacker just orders it via the matrix. I think they may notice the odd shipping address.

You make it sound way to easy, like a team of four fresh 400BP runners could make off with a few million in weapons. I don't buy that.

I don't think the basics of smuggling would have changed to much in 2070. Most of that ilegal gear is bought where it is legal then smuggled to where it is ilegal.
Crusher Bob
We are talking about small arms ammuntion, billions of rounds are made, shipped, and stores in the UCAS alone.

If security was so airtight everywhere, then running would not be possible at all. Having the security provider of a sight be officially military rather than corporate/military does not make them magically better.

hyzmarca
QUOTE (Jaid @ Nov 20 2006, 12:15 AM)
furthermore, most of the reasons buying in bulk makes things cheaper don't apply to buying stuff illegally. generally, you're looking at smuggling things out in small quantities at a time (comparatively speaking), so buying in bulk does not get you a discount because the seller isn't 'producing' it in bulk.

But if you have a semi-load of illegal products then you're going to want to get rid of that semi quickly because it is rather traceable. The easiet way to do this is to sell in bulk.

Besides, there is still no good reason for any legitimate extraterritorial arms dealer to respect the legality codes of any particular nation.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
We are talking about small arms ammuntion, billions of rounds are made, shipped, and stores in the UCAS alone.

If security was so airtight everywhere, then running would not be possible at all. Having the security provider of a sight be officially military rather than corporate/military does not make them magically better.

The Army protects stuff well, but, a lone Ninja can sneak in, take a pocketful of stuff, then Ninja back out.

This is why you can't get a bulk discounton APDS ammo ... Ninja pockets are teensy.

Yuo don't wanna know about the Rocket Faeries.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Wakshaani)
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Nov 20 2006, 08:27 AM)

If security was so airtight everywhere, then running would not be possible at all.  Having the security provider of a sight be officially military rather than corporate/military does not make them magically better.

The Army protects stuff well, but, a lone Ninja can sneak in, take a pocketful of stuff, then Ninja back out.

This is why you can't get a bulk discounton APDS ammo ... Ninja pockets are teensy.

Yuo don't wanna know about the Rocket Faeries.

"What do you mean I cant get a bulk discount on twenty nukes?"
Fortune
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Nov 20 2006, 07:27 PM)

And a fair amount of that is then stolen from guarded military depots and armories every year as well. (This applies equally to real life)

If you think it would be that difficult to steal a bunch of small arms ammunition that 'beginning runners' could not peform the task, then just what kind of runs do you think would be an appropriate challenge?
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Fortune)
And a fair amount of that is then stolen from guarded military depots and armories every year as well. (This applies equally to real life)

Heh, not to mention how much of it is stolen by the people who are supposed to be guarding it.

The easiest way to get your hands on this kind of thing is to find a quartermaster who is willing to "expend" some ammunition in a bogus training exercise for a nominal fee.
Ryu
The availability rules got better, but should still be discarded.

If you want to buy 500 rounds from your resident gun nut, you may be out of luck. You could just go to weapons mart, where much more is sold.

That said, donīt limit your characters advancement by availability. Not in the case of mass-manufactured items. Short-term buys may pose a problem, but long-term, demand will meet supply. I never liked the general unavailability of APDS. That one does not get more plausible with extraterretoriallity and Ares Arms.
kzt
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
If your runners can't defeat the moderate security of an ammo storage facility, then how can they hope to defeat the security of the typical run target. The typical run target is much more heavily protected that a lot of things the runners might want to steal.

Ever seen an ammo depot? The ammo is in bunkers with big heavy blast doors. Locked with really good locks. With an intrusion detection system. Inside a fence, usually patrolled and monitored. Inside a military base, typically several miles inside. A base full of bored MPs hoping for some excitement.

And there is no sign on the outside as to which of the 40 or so bunkers has the ammo you might want, or where in 500-2000 sq meters of floor space in the bunker it might be, as all the pallets stacked ceiling to floor tend to look fairly alike. So you also have to break into the logistics system for the ASP to find the warehouse records.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)

We are talking about Forbidden ammo like APDS and EXEX. That are never shipped to UCAS stores.
Not standard ammo you only need a sin card to buy.
TheOneRonin
My old National Guard unit had (and probably still has) a vault that stored all the M-16s/M-4s, M203s, M249s, M-60s, M-9s, M2s, and more ammo/grenades than you could shake a stick at. And while the vault door was pretty heavy duty, the vault itself had a regular glass window to the outside. The only security to that window was a single sensor that would trip if someone would open it from the outside.

Not to mention that we had a pretty untrustworthy supply Sgt, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he was at least selling ammo on the side. No weapons ever went missing, at least not that I was aware of, but that doesn't mean they didn't.

Any 2-bit, half-skilled, technically competent criminal team with a little bit of inside info could have easily made off with dozens of mil-spec small arms and ammunition.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Nov 20 2006, 02:27 AM)

If security was so airtight everywhere, then running would not be possible at all.  Having the security provider of a sight be officially military rather than corporate/military does not make them magically better.

We are talking about Forbidden ammo like APDS and EXEX. That are never shipped to UCAS stores.
Not standard ammo you only need a sin card to buy.

I do believe that Crusher Bob was referring to the ammo stored on military bases and such, which is stored and shipped and bulk.

However, one should remember that possession, purchase, and distribution are three different acts and just because one is illegal that doesn't mean that all three are illegal.
In this case, SR4 explicitly states that it is illegal to purchase or possess a forbidden item but it says nothing about selling illegal items. One could extrapolate that a store would not be committing a crime by selling forbidden weapons, only the buyer would be liable and thus stores could stock and sell such weapons with impunity.
This is even more true considering that legality codes apply only to the UCAS and not to extraterritorial facilities. In a world where every other convince store and fast food joint is the sovereign territory of a foreign government, anyone should be able to buy a grenade launcher at a retail store.

My opinion is that one shouldn't worry too much about availability or legality codes. The more hoops your PCs have to jump through to obtain vital equipment the more your game devolves into The Price is Right. When you have to roll separate availability for every 10 bullets then you're PCs are going to spend entire gaming sessions doing nothing but shopping. Personally, I ain't Bob Barker and I don't want to be Bob Barker. I'm not going to spay or neuter anyone's pets.

So I say that they should just make their lists and make one availability test for everything on it because that's faster and easier than doing the Showcase Showdown. Unless your ammo rhymes with 'buclear' it ain't worth spending so much time on.
Crusher Bob
Well, it can also depend on what level of firepower you gaming group is comfortable with.

Is a rigger with a drone network of mobile 60mm automortars over the top? Or a guy with a grenade launcher?
kzt
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
My old National Guard unit had (and probably still has) a vault that stored all the M-16s/M-4s, M203s, M249s, M-60s, M-9s, M2s, and more ammo/grenades than you could shake a stick at.

Wow, I never ran into anyone who was in a Guard unit that actually stored ammo regularly, much less grenades. No unit I was ever in did it, as it just wasn't that hard to get a truck or a helicopter from bulk storage, which made the risk of having it on hand excessive. The 100% monthly inventory process must have been pretty fun, given the requirement to report even a single lost/stolen explosive grenade to HQDA and OSD.

Dod 5100.76-m wants much more secure arms rooms than some of the ones I saw in the Guard, but I'm not sure how effective the upgrade process has been since the early 90s.

Oh, and the DA/OSD reporting threshold on small arms ammo (under 40mm) is 5,000 rounds lost or stolen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012