Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Instead of reviving the Thor Shot thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Frag-o Delux
Deep Digger. Is a new weapon used to reach into those deep down bunkers and kill them.

Not really 100% SR related, but there was a debate about bunker busting weapons a while back.
Fix-it
*groans*

pleas tell me this doesn't involve Bruce Willis.
Butterblume
I am a little sceptical about how this approach would work...
Fix-it
oh it'll work, but it assumes that there's no one up on the surface that will blow this thing away with an RPG.
Kagetenshi
They can drop a regular bomb first.

~J
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 20 2006, 06:35 PM)
They can drop a regular bomb first.

~J

I was thinking several conventional bombs first. Well, at the same time, seeing that the Deep Digger parachutes down. By time its on target the regular bombs have already landed and cleared a path for the deep digger(s).
Kagetenshi
I was thinking either a regular cluster bomb or a really big regular bomb, but yeah, same idea.

No doubt there's a proper path that someone with the right knowledge of the interaction between explosives and terrain could identify. I am not such a someone, especially not while this tired.

~J
Austere Emancipator
It will have to manage much more than 10 meters if it intends to beat systems like SHOC, but it's an interesting method of getting explosives deep into rock and concrete.

Since the Deep Digger is a high-drag munition, any low-drag dumb bombs would have to be dropped beforehand anyway since they will travel down at a much greater forward velocity. And might as well drop several CBU-87/103s, just to make sure.
KarmaInferno
Am I the only one who was immediately reminded of this?

Now if we could only equip drop bears with similar technology...
Lindt
No KI, you were not.

I suppose its all a good idea and all, but its going to rapidly run into the problem of spoil disposal. Never mind the problem of getting it land in a vertical position on top of concrete.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
Am I the only one who was immediately reminded of this?

Yeah, I got the reference too. Took me a minute, but I got it.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
It will have to manage much more than 10 meters if it intends to beat systems like SHOC, but it's an interesting method of getting explosives deep into rock and concrete.

Since the Deep Digger is a high-drag munition, any low-drag dumb bombs would have to be dropped beforehand anyway since they will travel down at a much greater forward velocity. And might as well drop several CBU-87/103s, just to make sure.

I think they said it was only a demostration. I mean you wouldnt want to broadcast to the world exactlly how far the thing could actually go. Like everyone already siad, theyll just go deeper. But being human, they will only go as deep as they have to. I guess do to cost.

20+ year aircraft still have things classified about them. You dont want people to get a leg up on you, just because you dont use that technology any more.

Im also curious why everyone seems to say this thing can only go as far as it can clear the muck. Worms and other borrowing animals can dig so much, then pass the refuse around it self to continue to dig. Why couldnt this thing? My thoughts on limitions would be the amount of .75 caliber ammo it has on board.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
I mean you wouldnt want to broadcast to the world exactlly how far the thing could actually go.

I don't know what I'd do, but the guys in charge often do broadcast all that information to the world. They penetrating capabilities of all the BLU-series bombs is public knowledge, as are the test results for various kinds of penetrators at different velocities vs. earth, rock and concrete which are/have been used as a basis for threshold and target capabilities (which are also public knowledge) for several different weapon projects.
Butterblume
Yeah, security through obscurity doesn't really work in the long run.
nezumi
Worms and moles move the earth around but largely travel laterally through soft soil. A drilling bomb would be moving straight down through solid rock. Gravity would work against it being able to continue to move the rock because it isn't just pushing up the rock its just broken up, but also all the rock above it.

Additionally I'm under the impression that, when boring through rock, the drill bit has to be regularly replaced because its worn down very quickly. That means we can expect this device to have similar equipment malfunctions when it goes beyond a certain depth.

Finally, worms and moles eat food. Bombs don't. It has to carry its own continuous fuel source, including the explosive payload, guidance systems, so on and so forth. I imagine it's pretty fuel inefficient to bore through solid rock, so I don't think we'll have something that gets 20 mpg here or anything.
Frag-o Delux
Who ever is broadcasting those specs really is doing a dis-service to their own fighting men and women. I mean really, why would you tell everyone what you can and cant do?

And yes, drills routinely do need their bits replaced. But this isnt using bits. Its firing .75 caliber projectiles into the rock/concrete in its path, then shoots the debris back out behind the deep digger.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Nov 21 2006, 06:38 PM)
Who ever is broadcasting those specs really is doing a dis-service to their own fighting men and women.

Edit: not worth getting into this discussion, suffice it to say that I find that position absurd.

~J
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Who ever is broadcasting those specs really is doing a dis-service to their own fighting men and women.

That would be the Department of Defense and all the organizations underneath it, and the whole defense industry.
Moon-Hawk
Of course, the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost, if you *keep* it a *secret*! Why didn't you tell the world, EH?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012