Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New books
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tanegar
I picked up Awakenings and The Grimoire yesterday. Suddenly, I know WTF you freaks are talking about when you refer to things like centering and initiatory grades. smile.gif
mfb
ee-yow. so, 1st or 2nd ed?
BookWyrm
I believe they are 2nd & 3rd edition.
mfb
neither are 3rd. 3rd ed magic book was Magic in the Shadows.
Ancient History
The Grimoire was published for 1st edition and again for 2nd edition. Awakenings was published for 2nd edition.
Tanegar
My copy of The Grimoire is for SR2. The deal is, there's a huge used-book store near me, and since I'm basically flat broke ATM, I've been trading in books that I don't read or use anymore for credit. I may not be getting the latest and greatest, but overall it's not a bad arrangement.
Fortune
Absolutely nothing wrong with either of those books. Thers is some great flavor contained amongst those pages.
emo samurai
What does Awakenings have? Is it basically a SOTA book?
SL James
Sort of. Since the Grimoire was the main magic book, it was a combination of SOTA (new metamagics, adept powers, stuff like that) and a bunch of in-character flavor text about growing up magical, life as a magicians, fighting magical threats (to runners, so cops and corpsec), and so forth. There was also a large middle section which introduced Voudoun, first IC and then followed by a pretty lengthy rules section.
Glyph
It had new adept powers, new spells, and new archetypes, so it had more "meat" to it than a typical SOTA book - it was more like a second sourcebook. Lots of shadowtalk (which is something I miss), and the section on Voudoun was much more detailed and interesting than the more cursory treatment that it would receive in later editions.
FrankTrollman
Yeah, our primary design goal with Street Magic was to basically condense the rules section of Awakenings into a manageable package. Ultimately, I think Peter and I succeeded.

That being said, there wasn't nearly enough space in Street Magic to do justice to the in-character section of that book. As such, I still think Awakenings is a great resource for Shadowrun. It's not just hubris that makes me say that I think the 4th edition rules handle Voodoun in a better way, I honestly think that in eleven years of hindsight we managed to pare down the rules a bit to cover the requisite effects with less rules - but this remains the source material for that tradition in the Shadowrun world. Everything we write about it now goes back and looks at Awakenings for versimilitude.

And hey, the story of Azroth the God is wicked sweet.

-Frank
Ryu
My Grimoire is 2nd edition, my second SR rulebook. Good times, alltough Awakenings was much better.

@Frank:Kudos for street magic! Good book. Seeing as the core mechanic of SR is off-limits, I look forward to your next work!
Butterblume
The grimoire must be the most boring RPG book I ever owned. I much prefered reading Rolemaster's damage tables (stuff like 'your bones turn into lead and your blood begins to boil, you are dead in 3 rounds. Until then your are writhing in pain, -50 on all actions' or 'your brain explodes out of your ears. You die instantly').

I was so traumatized by my (german) grimoire, I couldn't even look at the 3rd edition magic rules book. However, I like Streetmagic.
eidolon
I have 1st ed Grimoire, 2nd ed Grimoire, and 3rd ed MitS. Love 'em.

@Tanegar

I have the best luck getting OOP stuff using a combo of Ebay, Amazon, and Stiggybaby. Occasionally I'll see stuff for cheap at some other sites, but those are the holy trinity. 1st rule of OOP shopping is no matter how good the deal or low the price, check everywhere else anyway before you buy. I've scored several great SR books for 99 cents + three buck media mail. Mmmm.
Synner
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Nov 24 2006, 08:36 AM)
Yeah, our primary design goal with Street Magic was to basically condense the rules section of Awakenings into a manageable package. Ultimately, I think Peter and I succeeded.

I know all the authors and I would dearly have liked to include more fiction throughout Street Magic, but it simply wasn't feasible with the space we had to work with (people tend to overlook the fact that SR4 and Street Magic condense and update most of the magic rules that were spread out over 6-7 old books in a single volume). That said, I'm very happy with all the fiction that we turned in. We're looking forward to giving you more of the same in upcoming books.
SL James
QUOTE (Butterblume)
I was so traumatized by my (german) grimoire, I couldn't even look at the 3rd edition magic rules book. However, I like Streetmagic.

You didn't miss anything.
Tanegar
@eidolon

Dude, you rock so hard. I didn't even know about Stiggybaby.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Ancient History)
The Grimoire was published for 1st edition and again for 2nd edition. Awakenings was published for 2nd edition.

Thanks for the clarification, AH. cool.gif
Ancient History
One is glad to be of service.
eidolon
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Nov 24 2006, 05:51 PM)
@eidolon

Dude, you rock so hard.  I didn't even know about Stiggybaby.

I try. wink.gif

Stiggy is great, primarily because they don't jack up prices for things that are "rare" and "hard to find". If they get a used book, they go "well, this used book sold for 15 bucks, but it's used, so we're going to charge 6 bucks". Their stock seems to change pretty often too.

edit:

Oh, and if I find out that any of you have bought a book out from under me at Stiggy's...well, let's just say that I know a guy that knows a guy.

biggrin.gif wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012