Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Health Spells and Ritual Magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
chazuli
Near as I can tell from the RAW, health spells can not be cast with ritual magic unless the target is present at the ritual. Is this in fact the case, or am I missing something?

I had this idea to target a PC with a Reduce (characteristic) spell cast via a symbolic link (ie the classic voodoo doll that caused a character to become crippled until they managed to find the source of the spell). But from what I read it doesn't appear to be possible.

Any thoughts or ideas on this regard?

Best,
Charles
Ancient History
Well, I can see how an astral spotter would be a bit weird under the rules (unless the spotter touched the subject), but material, sympathetic and symbolic links should work fine.
Crowley
I might allow it to work if the spotter cohabitated in astral space with the target the whole time, which basically means that anyone who has any idea what's what with magic will find someone to help, and quick.
chazuli
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Well, I can see how an astral spotter would be a bit weird under the rules (unless the spotter touched the subject), but material, sympathetic and symbolic links should work fine.

Of course the spotter can only interact with the target if the target is astrally active, though. so... by that logic a spotter could only deliver a touch spell on a mage or a dual natured creature?

As to the links, I can't see anything in the rules addressing ritual magic and touch range spells working with a link. Is the logic that so long as the link is within touch during a ritual it will work?

best,
Charles
Ancient History
Nah, a bound spirit could act as a spotter materialize and touch (or, I suppose, possess) the target as necessary - but again, the point of ritual magic is to overcome the typical range limitations of conventional sorcery, so it's likely a normal spotter would work fine. Depends on how the GM rules until the errata comes in.

As for material, sympathetic, and symbolic links, the astral link is the important part of the process - touching the link is essentially touching the target.
jervinator
...the astral link is the important part of the process - touching the link is essentially touching the target.

That is what I always thought; material links are as effective as LOS for purposes of spell-casting as both allow a caster to sync up with the target's aura and channel mana.
chazuli
QUOTE (jervinator)
...the astral link is the important part of the process - touching the link is essentially touching the target.

That is what I always thought; material links are as effective as LOS for purposes of spell-casting as both allow a caster to sync up with the target's aura and channel mana.

Oh no question on ritual magic and LOS spells. The rules are pretty explicit on that situation. My concern is about Health spells which all MUST have a range of touch, b/c the description of ritual magic only mentions LOS, not touch.

I'm probably going to rule that links work w/ touch spells, but I'm still unsure whether spotters will need to 'touch' the target to deliver the spell or not. Obviously a spotter can touch an astrally active target, but only a spirit could materialize to deliver a touch spell on a mundane or a non-percieving mage.

Best,
Charles
jervinator
I mispoke. What I mean is that for purposes of spellcasting, having the link in your hands pretty much negates the range requirement as you are (metaphysically) touching the target. If it weren't that way then ritual sorcery would be practically useless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012