Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weapon Foci in the hands of a mundane
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheRedRightHand
Just a quick question.

I know that only a mage who has bond himself to a Weapon Foci can gain the magical benifits from it (+'s to melee combat pools), but what if a mundane picked up the mage's sword foci and swung it at an Air Spirit with the immunity to normal weapons power?

Would the magical sword still hurt the spirit (because it is still magical no matter who is using it) or would it be considered a "normal weapon" in this case because the user wasn't a mage or bound to it?

Basically I could go either way on this. I don't like the idea of the mundanes in my party buying magica sowrds,clubs, etc... that they can't bond to but can still use as magic weapons against spirits (obviously without the +melee benifits), but at the same time I can see magical foci causing damage to a spirit no matter who is using it, because there are always magical in nature, wether bound to a mage or not, so they should be able to hurt/disrupt a spirit if it hits one.
Konsaki
All weapon foci start out as a standard weapon but have that little bit extra that adepts can unlock due to bonding with it. Mundanes can use them, but they dont get the special stuff the adept would, just treat it like a normal weapon though really expensive...
TheRedRightHand
But would they count as a "Normal weapon" against Spirits with the "Immunity to Normal weapons" power, or would they count as being a magical weapon?
Glyph
They would count as normal weapons, because they would not be active in the hands of a mundane. The rules are very specific that only the owner can use a focus, so it wouldn't even be possible for a mage or adept to activate their weapon focus and let someone else use it. Only the person who has bound a weapon focus can use it as such.
TheRedRightHand
But wouldn't even an inactive magial foci, still be considered magical? I mean wouldn't it show up as magical if you looked at it astrally? Wouldn't it still have a magical aura?

*I'm just playing the devils advocate here. This situation has just come up in my campaign, and I am on the side of it not working, but I know what my players are going to say next time we get together. So I want to be ready for what they ask/come up with.*
Cold-Dragon
Only an active Focus actually cause problems as far as Interacting with other astral things goes - that's why the elevator situation comes into play, but only against something active.

A weapon foci is considered active when you use it -provided it's yours to use. Since the Mundane isn't linked to the weapon, they can't activate it with the swing, so it wouldn't be magical at the time (sad but true. would have been a nice way around some problems).

As far as how it looks, when active it will have the obvious aura and color, but when not active, it will just look like an object. Assensing it will reveal the magical potential however.
yoippari
Seems like bonding is like turning the foci Anyone can swing a chainsaw, but only someone who knows how to turn it on will be able to use it to its fullest extent. So unless the foci is "turned on" by being used by it's bonded owner it would just be shaped like a weapon.
TheRedRightHand
Sweet. Thanks guys for the quick replies.
Onyx
This then bring up a question that I have had for a while...How could you have a magical weapon that can be used in the hands of the mundane?

From a previous post someone mentioned the Potato Gun with the Devil Rat shoved down the barrel. But in my opinion makes the ammo and the reloading difficult to manage. wink.gif

Would it be however possible for someone to simply have a spirit Materialize in the form of the users desired weapon and hope that the need to use it doesn't extend past dawn or dusk? Then based on the force of the spirit it would provide its bonuses toward the skill used?
hyzmarca
A weapon focus doesn't bypass Immunity to Normal Weapons because it is enchanted. It bypasses Immunity to Normal Weapons because it is dual natured. You're attacking the spirit on both the physical plane and the astral plane at the same time.
You can achieve a similar effect by grabbing a ghoul by the ankles and swinging him around as an improvised club.
Wakshaani
Note that you can still "Will Attack", which can mess with a spirit.

IIRC, it's Willpower + Banishing (Or raw Willpower) to hit, (Defended by Force? Unsure...) with damage equal to your Charisma (Reduced by Force)

So, while the thing might not work for you, it might make you willing to pick it up and *try*, starting a Will Attack on the thing.

Mind you, I've always been a sucker for that.

"Foolish mortal! Your feeble weapons have no effect on me!"

"YEah, well..." *punch* ... "Holy Frak! That worked!"

*recovering* "Your will be a most PAINFUL death for that!"

"Yipes!" *runrunrun*
hyzmarca
If you're going to will attack use a fishing pole for the reach bonus. Mundanes without ghoul clubs or dual-natured elves in gimp suits to use as weapons should always carry a Ronco Pocket fisherman just in case.
Mikado
Reach bonuses do not apply when making an "attack of will" as per pg 94 SM.
And as far as I can tell from the paragraph, base damage is (Charisma)P and that is not reduced by the spirits force
Cold-Dragon
It's not, but using an attack of will is resisted with force or twice force - it's a very limited fashion of fighting, especially without training. It's essentially just Banishing, but hurting the spirit instead of attacking the services...

Very nutty thing, banishing and attacking.
Jaid
QUOTE (Onyx)
This then bring up a question that I have had for a while...How could you have a magical weapon that can be used in the hands of the mundane?

theoretically, you could make a unique enchantment that would allow this. then again, theoretically you could make a unique enchantment to do anything; that doesn't make it easy, it just makes it theoretically possible.
mfb
QUOTE (Onyx)

have it be a free spirit that takes the form of a weapon. or stretch the imp rules, allowing the imp to inhabit something besides a focus. granted, in either of those cases, you'd be having the weapon itself make astral attacks against targets you bring it into contact with (by stabbing them). so you'd be doing normal weapon damage (halved for I:NW, if applicable), plus your weapon would get a 'free' astral attack (not really free, just holding its action until your turn).
Cold-Dragon
The simplest method, imo, is to just make a basic manipulation spell that saturates an object with energy - enough to make a spot on the astral that can hit something. I figure if you can make a mana barrier that can bite back when poked, you can borrow that concept and slip it onto a bullet so that it bites on impact, yes?

At which point you either make it sustained, and it works on a certain amount of material (So the lone star mage has more work) or else you make it pseudo-permanent - 24 hours for giving it a charge (also more work for the mage, but can be done in advance).
Lord Ben
If you want to harm a spirit, just shoot it really hard. They're really not THAT tough.
Ancient History
The simplest method, imo, is to just make a basic manipulation spell that saturates an object with energy - enough to make a spot on the astral that can hit something. I figure if you can make a mana barrier that can bite back when poked, you can borrow that concept and slip it onto a bullet so that it bites on impact, yes?

No. For one thing, manipulation spells are pretty complex. Secondly, adding energy (of any sort) to an object is likely to cause it to heat up, possibly explode. If you're going for an elemental attack against the spirit, that would work, but what you're looking for is essentially an SR equivalent of the magic weapon spell - and there is no such beast, with good reason.

A mana barrier is also a really bad example, because it's a very passive spell. If you want a bullet that bites on impact, you're looking at Anchoring.

PlatonicPimp
which is how I'd do it. An anchoring focus with the appropriate combat spell attached, (slay spirit) set to go off whenever it hits said spirit.

of course, that's one shot, so eh.

I've always wanted a sustained combat spell. The visual I've always worked on was the summoned swords of light from like half the cartoons ever (though ryoko from tenchi muyo specifically).

Touch spell, damage equal to hits on the test, sustained. A mana version makes a great assassin's weapons and spirit killer, the physical version would be more overtly useful. Attack using your blade skill. The damage is treated as being from a manabolt for the mana version, powerbolt for the physical version.

A sustaining focus would help, of course. Even with the focus, however, it can't be used by anyone but the mage. A Quickened or Anchored version would be able to be handed off.

I'm thinking drain as (force/2)+1.
Jaid
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
which is how I'd do it. An anchoring focus with the appropriate combat spell attached, (slay spirit) set to go off whenever it hits said spirit.

of course, that's one shot, so eh.

I've always wanted a sustained combat spell. The visual I've always worked on was the summoned swords of light from like half the cartoons ever (though ryoko from tenchi muyo specifically).

Touch spell, damage equal to hits on the test, sustained. A mana version makes a great assassin's weapons and spirit killer, the physical version would be more overtly useful. Attack using your blade skill. The damage is treated as being from a manabolt for the mana version, powerbolt for the physical version.

A sustaining focus would help, of course. Even with the focus, however, it can't be used by anyone but the mage. A Quickened or Anchored version would be able to be handed off.

I'm thinking drain as (force/2)+1.

the old energy aura spells could sorta do this kind of thing. sorta.
Jack Kain
Remember that immunity to normal weapon is just a kind of Harden Armor that is overcome by magic weapons and isn't effected by armor penetration as it isn't actually armor.
Lord Ben
The minimum Modified DV from a long narrow burst with an Ares Alpha with EX rounds does 14P -3ap which could defeat the immunity to normal weapons that the critter has if it's a Force 8 spirit or less. Figure that the force 8 spirit gets it's 8 average successes on a body roll it still takes 6P damage. And that's the bare minimum of successes against a force 8 spirit.
Jaid
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
Remember that immunity to normal weapon is just a kind of Harden Armor that is overcome by magic weapons and isn't effected by armor penetration as it isn't actually armor.

actually, yes it is subject to armor penetration. you treat it as hardened armor. hardened armor is subject to armor penetration modifiers. therefore, immunity to normal weapons is subject to armor penetration modifiers, unless you've got a quote to back that up from somewhere.

personally, i think it would be best if almost everything that has immunity to normal weapons had at least one allergy so that a mundane could actually be able to do something against them, but that's just me.
Lord Ben
Only thing I need is the ability to affect mages who materialize in the room and listen in or blab stuff. Or watcher spirits who do the same.

Spirits I can always kill with my street sam without issue.
Jaid
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Only thing I need is the ability to affect mages who materialize in the room and listen in or blab stuff. Or watcher spirits who do the same.

Spirits I can always kill with my street sam without issue.

so get yourself an FAB II filled club. it will probably only do stun damage (since the FAB is likely to move) unless you really jam it full, but that's all you need to disrupt them.

assuming you mean manifest, that is, since materializing is what spirits do and includes a physical body, which you can beat into nonexistence normally wink.gif
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Nov 26 2006, 10:33 PM)
The minimum Modified DV from a long narrow burst with an Ares Alpha with EX rounds does 14P -3ap which could defeat the immunity to normal weapons that the critter has if it's a Force 8 spirit or less.  Figure that the force 8 spirit gets it's 8 average successes on a body roll it still takes 6P damage.  And that's the bare minimum of successes against a force 8 spirit.

The bonus damage from burst doesn't apply when seeing if the modifed DV is converted to stun or dropped in the case of hardend armor. Check under burst fire on page 141.

Hmm Jaid, so AP does apply to immunity to magic weapons, I figured it didn't as the hardend armor was in written in qoutes. Guess that means by street samurai shouldn't worry about immunity to magic weapons when he attacks with his monowhip. I also figured that as harden armor was overcome by magic weapons anyway it make the immunity to rather pointless.
Lord Ben
I have a thing against inventing new equipment that may make sense in a game world but might not be a good balance to a game world.

Not saying your bacteria club is unbalanced, I am just saying I like to stick to book equipment lists.

Lord Ben
Ah, thanks Jack. My example may have been flawed but the underlying point is still solid.

BTW, how do you attack stuff with willpower?
Jaid
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
Hmm Jaid, so AP does apply to immunity to magic weapons, I figured it didn't as the hardend armor was in written in qoutes. Guess that means by street samurai shouldn't worry about immunity to magic weapons when he attacks with his monowhip. I also figured that as harden armor was overcome by magic weapons anyway it make the immunity to rather pointless.

actually, the quotes are around "armor rating". it also says to treat it as "hardened" armor. i'm not sure what they were trying to say with the quotes around hardened, but it doesn't say it differs in any way from hardened armor as relating to AP, therefore it does not differ in any way relating to AP.

also, hardened armor does apply to magical attacks, provided the magical attack normally allows armor.

that is to say, a manabolt, which normally ignores armor completely, would be unaffected by hardened armor of course, but a flamethrower spell (which normally faces half impact armor) would face half of the hardened impact armor of a given creature.
Fortune
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
how do you attack stuff with willpower?

Mechanically, you roll Willpower (+ Banishing if available) and do your character's Charisma as base damage. You can use your bare hands, or anything else as a weapon, but that does not affect either the attack test or the damage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012