Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the dark future is upon us
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
lorechaser
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Oops, I should say something about Shadowrun, too.
They do mention that many people are illiterate, by our standards. However, even in the case of the educated and literate, I would imagine that most people's penmanship is atrocious. I mean, more than it already is today. How often would someone in SR actually put pen to paper and write something?

At one point, I had a character in mind who was specifically trained in several languages, living and dead, and would make a living writing down messages, transporting them, and then reading them to people when he got there.

If he got mugged, what are the odds that J. Random Ork Ganger could read Arabic, or would even know what to do with it?

Course, he was fairly useless in terms of actually being a team player, so he never materialized.
Dawnshadow
School, class.

Most of my writing is done for university assignments or gaming. Because I find it just too annoying to have to add symbols to documents. So, assignments are done on paper. If they insist on an electronic copy and it's got a bunch of things that aren't single-keystroke, I'll do it on paper and scan it as a jpg.
nezumi
While 90% of our work touches (or could touch) digital devices, there's always that 10% of the time, when a cute girl gives her your phone number in the subway or an equipment malfunction forces you to memorize the recipe for dinner, where normal writing will be valuable.

Just because the motor and the wheel have made transportation easier doesn't mean that running ceases to have any value.
Fortune
QUOTE (nezumi @ Nov 30 2006, 05:41 AM)
While 90% of our work touches (or could touch) digital devices, there's always that 10% of the time, when a cute girl gives her your phone number in the subway or an equipment malfunction forces you to memorize the recipe for dinner, where normal writing will be valuable.

That would merely require a mental twitch to exchange the info between Commlinks in 2070. Even taking notes to yourself, or stuff like shopping lists would be down to almost purely a mental exercise.

And I don't really think equipment would meltdown 10% of the time.
Ryu
With mind-controlled wireless communication, 2070 will have you experience how your fellow citizens think. And I don´t mean this in a good way. So far, they need focussed concentration to put something in text. Not so in the dark future...

And the average ability to express thoughts will suffer. Learning a language teaches the mind. If large parts of society never learn formalised communication, intelligence will suffer, too. A vicious circle. Hello trog speak.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Ryu @ Nov 30 2006, 06:14 AM)
A vicious circle. Hello trog speak.

What, you mean like: OMFG u suck i cant beleive u r so stupid rotflol!!!!1
sarcastic.gif
edit: Next thing you know they're going to start allowing crap like that in universities!
........shit.
PlatonicPimp
Actually, I kinda see it the other way. With typing removed from the equation, DNI means that when a person thinks the, there is no chance of it coming out Teh. Grammar will always be a problem, but spelling issues will go away, and people won't be tempted to shorten what they say merely to aviod having to type it out.
mfb
well, you'll still end up with ebonics-type issues. you just won't have them in writing.
nezumi
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Nov 30 2006, 05:41 AM)

That would merely require a mental twitch to exchange the info between Commlinks in 2070. Even taking notes to yourself, or stuff like shopping lists would be down to almost purely a mental exercise.

And I don't really think equipment would meltdown 10% of the time.

I think it's difficult for us to completely anticipate the difficulties of a hypothetical device 70 years in the future. However we can look at current trends to determine the likelihood of problems in the future.

For instance:
Cars have made transport fast and convenient. Even though almost every family in the US has at least one car, walking, running and biking are all common activities.

Cell phone use has risen dramatically and certainly fill almost all the roles older phones filled, yet most homes still pay for landline phone service.

The availability of pre-made food is tremendously high and is often more cost effective (if included the value of time spent) than making food by scratch, yet people continue to grow their own gardens and bake their own bread.

E-mail has made communication fast, efficient and cheap, yet people continue to pay for the privilege of sending snail mail letters.

I simply cannot easily accept that just because a more convenient method of writing has come along, we'll all simply give up on normal writing and see it as useless. It flies in the face of previous trends. There will still be a large contingent in two generations that think the written word on paper is valuable, and I can't imagine anything but the ultra-liberal or the ultra-poor schools will choose to drop two of the three r's.
Penta
Counterpoint, nezumi:

That situation has come about in part because there is still societal memory of when those services either did not exist or were disrupted.

People cannot walk, run, or bike as a normal, day to day method of mobility in most of America. I dare most of you to try to live your day *without* your car. No points for using mass transit.

People have seen cellphones fail when landlines worked. Often.

Most people either remember a time before email, or have experienced email not being as reliable as snail mail. (Additionally, snail mail is legally and constitutionally protected from interception to a greater degree than email.)

However, I will grant your point re impact.

Within 50 years, people have seen the electronic infrastructure of civilization collapse - twice.

I sense, therefore, that hardcopy means of communication and data storage will still be used, *especially* for vital records and documents.

As such, reading and writing will still be necessary. And more than likely, eloquence in composition and speech will still be valued.
Ryu
QUOTE (Nezumi)
Cars have made transport fast and convenient. Even though almost every family in the US has at least one car, walking, running and biking are all common activities.

You are right in that some people will not be affected negativly. I would however say that exactly this example demonstrates why many people will express themselves worse than now.

What will be really interesting is the effect on the japanese and chinese languages, as those will adapt real well to literal images instead of kanji. No longer will all of the kanji look like "train station". (Yeah, they don´t. Except for one. But the difference is sadly beyond my grasp).
Bodak
QUOTE (Lindt)
Your right. We are doomed.

I c'aunt tell weather this miner whole in you're grammer cheque was diliberite awe ironic.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Penta)

People cannot walk, run, or bike as a normal, day to day method of mobility in most of America. I dare most of you to try to live your day *without* your car. No points for using mass transit.

Not even if that mass transit doesn't use fossil fuels? Damn, taking the train to work doesn't count, huh?

Oh well. I still did it for two years, back in 2002 and 2003. Got to work, got home, went to school, got my wife to work, got the kid to day care, Did all my shopping, and saw all my friends without having a car. The only times we bummed rides were when we had to get to the hospital, or those few times we took our laundry over to the dorms so we could hang with folks while we did it. It's ever so possible, but only if you specifically move so that you are within walking distance of everything you need. Also if you define walking distance as 3 or more miles. I can't manage these days because my office is dowtown, and I can't afford a loft. But the public transport still gets me there. I think It's very important to be able to live your life without a car.
DV8
QUOTE (mfb)
western civilization continues to decline.

That's funny, since NZ is in the eastern hemisphere and all. wink.gif
Bodak
That whole thing about which countries are more western and which ones are more eastern just doesn't make sense in a spherical world especially when political geographers distort it to make Greenland larger than China, and about the size of Africa (when it is 7% of Africa's area and 22% of China's area) and the former USSR larger than Africa (when it is only 75% of Africa's area).

My favourite map is by The Wizard of New Zealand (that's the name on his official passport) which demonstrates America is not the only nation comprised of supposedly "united" states.
hyzmarca
Canada doesn't have States. It has Provinces. Well, Quebec is a nation, apparently.
Bodak
In the 21st Century of Shadowrun when cartographers are no longer limited to 2d representations of the globe I bet there will be all sorts of world maps. The traditionalist will orient his globe with the Orient at the 'top'. The ultramodernist's world map might simply detail Seattle whereas someone slightly more open-minded might consider the UCAS to be 'the world'. Instead of names in words, each country or region might be represented by an icon typical of that locale and its people. A giant cockroach for Chicago, for example, Big Ben for London, Eiffel Tower for Paris, etc. What would Seattle's icon be I wonder...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Bodak)
political geographers distort it to make Greenland larger than China

Political geographers? I want some of whatever you're smoking.

~J
mintcar
QUOTE (Ryu @ Nov 30 2006, 06:14 AM)
With mind-controlled wireless communication, 2070 will have you experience how your fellow citizens think. And I don´t mean this in a good way. So far, they need focussed concentration to put something in text. Not so in the dark future...

And the average ability to express thoughts will suffer. Learning a language teaches the mind. If large parts of society never learn formalised communication, intelligence will suffer, too. A vicious circle. Hello trog speak.

I've seen nothing to indicate that text will be a method of communication belonging to the past in the year 2070 Shadowrun. Voice messages could easily have been the standard on the internet even today, yet it's clearly not. So we are talking about computers translating thoughts into text, that is then read much the same way as it is today.

Remember that mindcontroled text creation will also have to conform to lexical and grammatical standards if it is to be understood by readers. Just like today there would be genres with different demands on formality, as well as subject matters that require different levels of linguetic complexity.

No computer program could ever translate the thoughts of a person—who does not understand the proper way to communicate his message—into a text that perfectly mediates what he was trying to say. Most of the time a human expert couldn't even do that! Because of the coralation between language and knowledge that you talk about, the person propably doesn't even have the right idea anyway until he has learned to express it in words.

In truth I can't see the difference between mind-controlled text creation and today's digital word prossesing as something more significant, then the difference beween the latter and writing stuff with a pencil.
hyzmarca
There is no need for thought-to-[anything]. Just plain thought will do.
mintcar
About the original topic: Isn't it just the popular words of text messages that they plan to allow? I think it's a pretty radical step, but it doesn't have to mean they throw away every formal demand there is.

I wouldn't let students write these words in essays if it's not appropriate for the genre, but that has more to do with genre-competence then it has to do with linguetic morals. To claim that this particular change in the language will bring about the days of doom is rather rediculous and shortsighted. People don't think about what our language would look like, if every change that someone claimed would ultimately render us imbicils was stopped. I think that you certainly may dislike the new expressions, mainly because they are currently associated with a culture that you want to distance yourself from, but resorting to moral panic is far from warranted. At least if you learn from history.

(Disclaimer: I do understand the humor of the dooms-day claims. There's still some moral panic in here, I think smile.gif)
mintcar
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Dec 1 2006, 08:37 AM)
There is no need for thought-to-[anything]. Just plain thought will do.

Were does it say that? And what kind of format does these thought messages have? Is there actually a mechanical way of reading minds? That's not what I've gathered, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Still, even if messeges are actually pure thoughts trasfered from one person to the next, they would have to undergo some kind of formating. My thoughts are horribly irratic before I write them down or speak them. And I think most people would shy from leaving that formating to a computer.

The way I see it; the only way we could dumb down communication in every feild would be to give up vast amounts of our collective knowledge. The knowledge is already there, and we have to manage it somehow in order to evolve. It doesn't seem to me like the people of the sixth world have less knowledge then we have today (but rather the opposite), so there's propably an even bigger need for formalized communication. And I think that any new form of communication that would somehow make such a thing impossible simply wouldn't catch on.

That being said, I think that people are getting dumber in some ways as technology evolves. We are getting worse and worse memory, but are getting better at scrutinizing information, for instance. Concidering AR and the matrix in Shadowrun, that development will propably have taken some extreme steps.
hyzmarca
Just transmit the DNI info as pure simsense.
mintcar
See my edited post. In addition, isn't DNI a non-standard way of taking advantage of AR in SR4?
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Dec 1 2006, 06:04 AM)
Not even if that mass transit doesn't use fossil fuels? Damn, taking the train to work doesn't count, huh?

I'd point out that much mass transit still uses fossil fuels, even the trains and buses with electric motors and batteries.

It's just where you can't see it. Coal or other fossil fuel-fired electrical power generation is still very common.

I wonder. How are the pollutants from a normal car, compared to the pollutants produced by a power plant for the equivalent amount of electricity, to go the same distance?

Much worse. Big and centralized beats out tiny and distributed, efficiency-wise.

EDIT: no, I'm wrong. Rather, I might be wrong. Everything I said above is correct except for "much worse", which I don't know about. There's another conversion involved that may or may not outweigh the rest of the efficiency gains.

Plus, abstracting things out to running on electricity allows for easy changeover to cleaner power sources. An electric car doesn't care if its electricity was generated by gas, coal, nuclear, wind, solar, or zero-point energy (well, maybe it cares about that last one wink.gif ). A gasoline car wouldn't be too happy if you stuck a lump of uranium into it.

~J
mintcar
Also, it's very hard to predict what enviromental hazzard is worse and to what degree. What's more dangerous, carbon dioxide or nuclear wase? Global warming is currently the big scare, but we don't know what will happen in the future.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mintcar)
What's more dangerous, carbon dioxide or nuclear wase?

Carbon dioxide. Nuclear waste can be reprocessed and reused until it's barely radioactive, and our current coal plants emit vast amounts of radioactive material to boot (along with their carbon dioxide!).

And, like I said, even if all current evidence turns out to be false and in a hundred years nuclear power plants are going to kill the planet, we can switch to something else. That's the power of adding a layer of abstraction, whether it be to electricity, hydrogen, or any other energy-storage mechanism.

~J
nezumi
When calculating efficiency, also keep in mind that the mass of goods (or people) transported in a train or bus is generally much higher than that transported by a car. So we're comparing say a metro train, which generates its power off-site in what is hopefully a reasonably efficient fuel generator, makes fewer stops and starts, carries 10-80 (or more!) passengers per car, to an automobile which is limited in efficiency by different factors, carries 1-4 people per car and makes frequent stops.

The metro train will take more energy per car moved over that distance, but far less per person.
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Penta)

Been there, done that. Two years. Live on campus, walk anywhere that's needed.

Followed by living a 20 minute walk from campus, and walking everywhere. That's including an hour+ walk to a few different destinations. Far enough it used to worry people, in fact.
mintcar
In Gothenburg there is no reason to have a car. I had one for a few years, and sure it was convenient when stocking up with large amounts of groceries, but other then that I barely used it. Trams take you anywere conveniently and fast. Cars get stuck in endless traffic jams under the Tingstad tunnel and it's impossible to find a parking space for them. And even when the car's tax and insurence was payed for, it was still cheaper to take the tram then paying for the gas it took to drive somewere with the car.

The reason everybody has to have a car in America is because of how you built your cities.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (mintcar)
In Gothenburg there is no reason to have a car.
. . . . .
Cars get stuck in endless traffic jams under the Tingstad tunnel and it's impossible to find a parking space for them.

No one uses cars, there's too much traffic! biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (mintcar)
In Gothenburg there is no reason to have a car. I had one for a few years, and sure it was convenient when stocking up with large amounts of groceries, but other then that I barely used it. Trams take you anywere conveniently and fast.   

<edit>   

The reason everybody has to have a car in America is because of how you built your cities.

...yeah this country sucks when it comes to other forms of transportation.

The reason we don't have good train service is not because of city planning, but because of shortsightedness and profiteering. One of my theses in college concerned the demise of the intercity passenger rail, interurban, and streetcar lines after WWII. Basically the systems were sold out by a bloc which included Standard Oil, Goodyear Rubber GM, Ford, Chrysler, and the Highway Construction Lobby.

At one time Los Angeles boasted one of the finest transit systems in the world (the old Red Car). Now the running joke about the transit system there is "RTD - Reason to Drive" wink.gif

For some good background check out The Progressive Magazine - "Off The Track, How America Lost a Sane Transportation System" This was written in the late 70s and details how Amtrak (then called the NRPC) was purposely set up to fail (the appointed chief executive was from the airline industry - no conflict of interest there sarcastic.gif) and how the "Auto Bloc" basically destroyed the streetcar and interurban lines. I remember taking the old North Shore line from the south side of Milwaukee (it made several neighbourhood stops) to Chicago with the run taking about 70 min. At that time, driving the same route took nearly 2 hours yet the excuse for dismantling the line was because it was "outdated" mad.gif

The popular movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" also dealt with the issue of dismantling the old LA Red Car lines.

Keep in mind Truman's old adage, "...a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage" silly.gif
Butterblume
Where I life now, we had a tram from 1917 to 1961, when it was dismantled. It connected the Deutsche Bahn (german railways) to the factory of Dynamit Nobel. You may have heard of Dynamite or the Nobel Prize spin.gif.

Hm, how did we get from language to this?

There are several towns in germany that use (test, actually) busses powered by hydrogen oxygen fuel cells. Makes sense. After all, the submarine U212 is powered b fuel cells and about the best non-nuclear-driven submarine there is.

I just walked by the gas station today, regular gas was about 1,589 US-$ per litre there.
Fortune
QUOTE (Butterblume)
I just walked by the gas station today, regular gas was about 1,589 US-$ per litre there.

Ours is about a buck a litre [US] here in Sydney right now, but it just dropped quite a bit.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Butterblume)

eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif
Oh wait, you're from one of those countries that uses commas and periods opposite from me. You mean one dollar, fifty-eight and nine tenths of a cent. At first, I thought you meant one thousand five-hundred eighty-nine US dollars, which, by US numerical conventions, is exactly what you wrote.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Where I life now, we had a tram from 1917 to 1961, when it was dismantled. It connected the Deutsche Bahn (german railways) to the factory of Dynamit Nobel. You may have heard of Dynamite or the Nobel Prize spin.gif.

Hm, how did we get from language to this? 

There are several towns in germany that use (test, actually) busses powered by hydrogen oxygen fuel cells. Makes sense. After all, the submarine U212 is powered b fuel cells and about the best non-nuclear-driven submarine there is.

..I take it the Tram was replaced by a diesel bus.

As I understand, The CTA (Chicago) is testing fuel cell busses. FC power makes more sense than some of the other exotic fuels (such as LPG). A few years ago, Portland's Tri Met was experimenting with LPG. The busses had poor range and very mediocre performance. Currently Tir Met is evaluating several Hybrid vehicles which is at least a step in the right direction.

In Seattle and San Francisco, they brought back the"Trackless Trollies" but the only strike against this is that they can only operate on fixed routes. While a good portion of Seattle's fleet are also dual power diesel/overhead electric, FC electric would still be better since it is not restricted to overhead wires and does not need an auxiliary powerplant to operate "offline".

A good website to check for more info is Fuel Cells 2000

When I was running SR2/3 I wrote up Fuel cell powerplants (before Rigger 3 was released) and had two companies, Delta Vee (Later Aeon technologies) and I-Motive which manufactured Fuel Cell vehicles and powerplants exclusively. There were six models of cars, several utility vehicles (in co-operation with other firms) and even a UDF (unducted fan) cargo aricraft and LTA that were all fuel cell powered. I am currently translateing these over to SR4 stats.

BTW: Do you have more info on the Maglev that is currently being tested in your country? I know they had a terrible accident a while back where it hit a service vehicle.

Sorry for sort of derailing embarrassed.gif this thread, but transportation technology and systems are two of my specialties & I couldn't resist.
Bodak
regular gas was about 1,589 US-$ per litre there.

Australia has only recently started using gas in cars though at 3 - 20 times atmospheric pressure it's stored as a liquid (and therefore can be sold per litre; a gas has no fixed volume). Currently the main advantage of having a gas car rather than a normal petrol car is that gas is less than half the price of petrol (though in a few years a tax on gas will reduce that advantage).
Fortune
When he said gas, he actually meant petrol, not LPG-type stuff. The word gas is pretty much used as standard for the word petrol outside of Oz, and maybe England still. wink.gif
Link
No, I think he meant LPG. (He also referred to petrol) Unless you meant the other he.
Link
If Seattle 2050 has eco-friendly fuel cell cars and its electricity is generated by nuclear plants (Shiawase?) why is the air pollution so bad?
Fortune
QUOTE (Link)
Unless you meant the other he.

He as in Butterblume, whom Bodak quoted. wink.gif
Bodak
QUOTE (Fortune)
When he said gas, he actually meant petrol, not LPG-type stuff. The word gas is pretty much used as standard for the word petrol outside of Oz, and maybe England still. wink.gif

According to Wikipedia 'petrol' is the most common name for petrol although North America and Canada are peculiar in calling it Gasoline. The original gasoline was a different oil, burnt in lamps while 'petrol' was a trade name for fuel sold by chemists for combustion engines.

QUOTE (Link)
If Seattle 2050 has eco-friendly fuel cell cars and its electricity is generated by nuclear plants (Shiawase?) why is the air pollution so bad?

Probably because of all the space-shuttle launches and volcano eruptions between now and 2060 smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
...also, the majority of cars in 2060 still burn Petrol and other liquid fuels which still produce greenhouse gasses.

Because Seattle is between two mountain ranges, inversions are fairly common which act like a lid to trap pollutants.

Now the TT before the crash in '64, they had an "electric only" vehicle and "Green Industry" policy.
Fortune
QUOTE (Bodak)
According to Wikipedia ...

Technically, according to Wikipedia, the sky could at this very moment be literally raining pink fluffy kittens that shit gold bullion. That wouldn't make it true. biggrin.gif
Bodak
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 2 2006, 01:25 AM)
Technically, according to Wikipedia, the sky could at this very moment be literally raining pink fluffy kittens that shit gold bullion.

Really? Can you link the page that describes such a meteorological precipitation of juvenile aureate felines? It sounds like it should appear on the page about H2G2 along with a thousand flying lightly fried eggs.

While quoting an online encyclopaedia doesn't make something true, it does lend authority to a claim. Merely claiming that gas is the standard reference for petrol outside Australia (and perhaps England) would be an opinion. It may be true or false but it lacks authority. Also a wiki entry is scrutinised by many more people than read this thread smile.gif

While on the topic of degenerating the English language and the clash between cultural meanings of valid words, I'm reminded of the Niggardly farce when uneducated people force erudite people with superior vocabulary to apologise for their own ignorance. Niggardly coming from Scandinavian hnøgger, meaning "stingy" hundreds of years before nigger was derived from Latin niger, meaning "black". Such unfounded objections will likely proliferate as literacy becomes less essential and spelling and grammar are an arbitrary subjective creative expression more than an objective prescription. While at university I met people who had never read even a complete book, and had only read portions of texts they were required to for their studies. The overwhelming majority of language they read is informal (SMSes, emails, IRC, etc) or tokenised (menus, street signs, etc). Deprived of exposure to many words, the incidence of pejorative meanings mistakenly assigned to legitimate words based on phonetic similarity to a word in an impoverished lexicon will sadly increase. 'Easy' entertainment has its price.
wargear
QUOTE (SL James)
But I can't help but think of how the idea of English purity is tossed around whenever something like this is in the news. As someone mentioned on rpg.net several months ago, "English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words... We pursue other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

Given the English language habit of swiping words and concepts from other languages, exactly what is the point of having Cityspeak and English separate?
mintcar
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Dec 1 2006, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (mintcar @ Dec 1 2006, 12:46 PM)
In Gothenburg there is no reason to have a car.
. . . . .
Cars get stuck in endless traffic jams under the Tingstad tunnel and it's impossible to find a parking space for them.

No one uses cars, there's too much traffic! biggrin.gif

A lot of people use cars. I was saying that it's stupid to do so, not that no one did wink.gif. But technicly your statement is actually nearly true. Like in most european cities, the city center is really small and most people live in appartment complexes surrounding it. The streets in the center of the city has too much traffic all the time, even if most people take the tram.
Butterblume
QUOTE (Link)
No, I think he meant LPG. (He  also referred to petrol)

I actually meant petrol aka petroleum spirit wobble.gif.
Dog
QUOTE (wargear @ Dec 2 2006, 12:20 PM)
Given the English language habit of swiping words and concepts from other languages, exactly what is the point of having Cityspeak and English separate?

Because linguistic drift in some areas, say rundown inner cities, will be a different process than in other areas, like say the corp world. Teenagers in rural midwest USA pick up some new language, and at the same time kids in the slums of London pick up completely different new language. Both fit these new grammar structures and vocabulary into their idea of what English is, and neither is wrong to do so. I imagine that English could easily split into two (or more) languages, given the vast cultural differences of the people who use it. (Remember the B.I.T.C.H. test?) Of course, the folks in power get to say which one is the "real" English and which is the offshoot.

Languages are very fluid from region to region and generation to generation. They are not fixed. Our systems to categorize them for convenience have to adapt as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012