Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking a Vehicle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Metus
Despite being with Shadowrun for awhile, I've always had problems with the matrix. I'm trying to play a hacker(decker) for the first time ever, and I read a post on here about how someone hacked a vehicle. I tried to figure out how to do such a thing, but I was unable to.

I assume you can go through someone's commlink to get to their vehicle(right?), but is there a way to hack the vehicle itself, without going through its owner's commlink? I assume there is, since there is a device rating for vehicles on page 214 of the BBB. If so, how would you go about it?

Also, if a vehicle (or commlink for that matter) is right in front of you, do you need to search the matrix for its commcode, or can you easily obtain it due to its proximity?

I'm really confused on this.
Lord Ben
A signal jammer and a high hardware skill is what I did. Jam the wireless, break the lock, hotwire the car and remove the wireless signals, then just drive away.
Jaid
depends on how you want to go about hacking the vehicle, really. there are several ways.

generally speaking, if you just mean a straight hack, then you hack it the same way you hack everything else. only generally speaking, there won't be IC, agents, or security hackers in it nyahnyah.gif (certain vehicles, such as a lone star citymaster, would be exceptions to that).
ixombie
It all depends on if the vehicle is subscribed to another node, like the owner's commlink. If the vehicle is subscribed to the owner's commlink, it will only accept wireless transmissions from the commlink. Jamming the local wireless won't help, since you still aren't sending your signal from the only source the vehicle's node trusts...

When a vehicle is not subscribed to another device, and its wireless is active, you can hack it directly. A vehicle might be in that state because it's got a beefy firewall with IC and doesn't need to be subscribed, and the owner doesn't want it to take up a subscriber slot on their commlink. Or, the vehicle might be stolen and the thief doesn't want to link it to their commlink, since someone could trace the signal to find that they're the thief. But they leave the wireless active because they want to be able to talk to the car from a distance... Those are the only situations I can think of where a vehicle would have its wireless active without being subscribed though.
Lord Ben
Jamming still works when it's subscribed though.
DireRadiant
Stealing Car and Bikes thread
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Lord Ben)

Yeah, it works, it just won't help.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (ixombie)
When a vehicle is not subscribed to another device, and its wireless is active, you can hack it directly.  A vehicle might be in that state because it's got a beefy firewall with IC and doesn't need to be subscribed, and the owner doesn't want it to take up a subscriber slot on their commlink.

...such was the case with the "Johnny Cab" which Violet hacked on a recent mission. Since it functioned off the vehicle's internal autosoft & used the local Grid Guide, it was basically unsubscribed. For extra security, it had an agent (IC) to thwart any jacking attempt which also sent a signal to the Star if an alert was tripped. Basically she ended up crashing the agent, overriding the autosoft, and hacking into the grid link to elude capture.
Moon-Hawk
So, in order for a device A to be subscribed to device B, both devices must be in direct communication with each other, i.e. within range of the lesser signal rating.
True, or false?
Cheops
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Nov 30 2006, 04:03 PM)
So, in order for a device A to be subscribed to device B, both devices must be in direct communication with each other, i.e. within range of the lesser signal rating.
True, or false?

According to the rules that is correct. However, if either signal rating can reach another wireless device (i.e. not master and slave) then you can trace the signal through several different nodes. In my group we allow one way direct communication for drones and such. So you could send signals to a drone but since it can't send any back to you you don't know what it is doing. On the flip side the drone could continue to send you reports on whatever task you last set it to do while you could still communicate.

To hack a car:

1) Find the node: E.Warfare + Sniffer (3) standard test
2) (Decrypt the node: something + decrypt (2xEncrypt, 1 turn) extended)
Only if the node is encrypted
3) (Intercept wireless traffic: can't remember off hand)
Only if the node is subscribed to another node, to get authentication codes
4) (Spoof wireless access: Hacking + Spoof)
Only if the node is subscribed to another node, fakes the authentication
5) Hack In: Hacking + Exploit
6) Have general hacker fun! (Do whatever it is you are trying to accomplish)
hobgoblin
i would not say that subscription requires direct in range connection, but it does help on the security.

subscription is more like saying that only data traffic signed by someone on my subscriber list is allowed to contact me.

hmm, maybe i should put my logical layer vs physical layer model up on some site and put a link into my sig?
Dread Polack
I would imagine most vehicles operate in hidden mode. Anyone who legitimately has access to the vehicle should have it's address and access codes on their commlink anyway. If you don't have these, you'd have to find the wireless signal, which can be pretty annoying. I think this is what Cheops was referring to with step 1, but I could've swore the threshold was 4 even if you know what you're looking for.

Dread Polack
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Dread Polack)
I would imagine most vehicles operate in hidden mode. Anyone who legitimately has access to the vehicle should have it's address and access codes on their commlink anyway.

Then again, allowing vehicles to detect each other might be helpful in the whole, not smashing into each other thing. Do you really want to force the pilot program to make a sensor test against every vehicle on the street?
Cheops
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Dread Polack @ Nov 30 2006, 04:11 PM)
I would imagine most vehicles operate in hidden mode. Anyone who legitimately has access to the vehicle should have it's address and access codes on their commlink anyway.

Then again, allowing vehicles to detect each other might be helpful in the whole, not smashing into each other thing. Do you really want to force the pilot program to make a sensor test against every vehicle on the street?

That's why I didn't include the step of:

0) Detect Hidden Node: E.Warfare + Scan (4) standard test

Also I kinda figured that major streets and highways would ping all vehicles to see if they are broadcasting and dispatch LS if they aren't. That way GridGuide knows who's on the road, other vehicles know who's on the road, and there's no 100 car pile ups.

Unless of course the target vehicle is currently involved in a car chase in which case it is probably likely that it is in Stealth mode.
Lord Ben
If you want your autopilot to receive commands from stoplights to stop, etc you'd probably have to not let it be subscribed too. It makes sense from a game-world perspective. But it's enough to make any hacker cringe.
Lord Ben
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Nov 29 2006, 11:00 PM)

Yeah, it works, it just won't help.

Have anything to back that up? The rules don't mention that jammers only work against unsubscribed devices.

Jammer: This device floods the airwaves with electromagnetic
jamming signals to block out wireless and radio
communication. The jammer automatically jams any device
with a Signal rating lower than its Device rating. The area
jammer affects a spherical area—its rating is reduced by 1
for every 5 meters from the center (similar to the blast rules
for grenades). The directional jammer affects a conical area
with a 30-degree spread—its rating is reduced by 1 for every
20 meters from the center. Walls and other obstacles may
prevent the jamming signal from spreading or reduce its effect
(gamemaster’s discretion).
Fortune
To be fair, he did state that Jamming works. He just doesn't believe that even a successful Jamming will help a person actual perform the Hack.

Jaid
QUOTE (Fortune)
To be fair, he did state that Jamming works. He just doesn't believe that even a successful Jamming will help a person actual perform the Hack.

clearly he can't imagine how much easier it would be to hack the vehicle once you replace it's response chip and program loadout with one of your choice while the vehicle is unable to call the authorities then nyahnyah.gif

hardware hacking is a perfectly viable way wink.gif
Lord Ben
Oh, that way. I thought he meant the jammer would turn on but wouldn't block the signal... frown.gif *slaps self*

It helps because it prevents the owner of the vehicle from doing anything while you break the maglock with a crowbar and rip out the controls. Then drive it to the chop shop the old fashioned way.
Fortune
Fair enough. biggrin.gif
Garrowolf
I just gave every vehicle a version of a commlink.

Vehicles start with a system with the following programs at their system rating:

* Pilot
* Clearsight
* Firewall
* Maneuver (craft type)
* Scan

Most vehicles have a Response of 3 with better vehicles having a 4. The pilot rating listed for most vehicles is the system rating that comes with the car. Vehicle OSs are different then Commlink OSs but the same programs will work in both. The cost for upgrading them is the same.

Most vehicles will have their access limited to internal controls unless the user opens it for remote operation. It can be set for signal only which means that it will only access remote operation directly - not through the Matrix. It can also be set to matrix access.

Then hacking a vehicle is no different then hacking any other commlink.
Jack Kain
As I recall you use the vehicles pilot rating by default it is not upgrade or subscribed to a comlink.
So a pilot 2 bike has a firewall of 2.

A vehicle's pilot is just like a drone's. In SR you could really just call a vehicle like a the Bulldog van a drone large enougth for passangers that can be manually controlled.

During one missoin are team was trying to hijack a semi truck with trailer. Now the GM figured the driver was actually driving. So the pilot program was off. We couldn't hijack the truck by taking over its dog brain.

However the diaegnostic programs might still transmit wirelessly. Things like oil/fuel levels and tire pressure etc. If not to the drivers comlink then back to the corp or to other cars on the road to warn them of a problem.

The hacker spoofed the signal to make the driver think there was a fuel leak. He pulled over and the rest is history. Especially the truck. KABOOM!
hobgoblin
about traffic lights and so on, gridguide.

thats two subscriptions (if you have remote control of a drone) and even a pilot 1 drone/vehicle should be able to handle that...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012