Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: losing limbs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
djinni
how do you determine a lost limb?
when a monowhip hits someone how do you determine a severed limb?
when we do it if the character suceeds at a critical success he can turn in the 4 hits to sever a limb.
fistandantilus4.0
not sure there's any hard and fast rules, but we always rules you lost a limb when you took dealdy damage. Then we'd roll 1D6 to see waht got lost.
1- left arm
2-right arm
3- left leg
4- right leg
5- torso (ouch, lost your intestines)
6- head

quick and easy
Jack Kain
QUOTE (djinni @ Dec 2 2006, 07:49 PM)
how do you determine a lost limb?
when a monowhip hits someone how do you determine a severed limb?
when we do it if the character suceeds at a critical success he can turn in the 4 hits to sever a limb.

If a character gets a critical succuss with a monowhip the target rarly surrives.
Garrowolf
I use a rule that you might like. If you take enough damage to kill you then just spend two points of edge and you loose a limb instead. That way the player feels like they are making a trade off to save themselves instead of having their limbs crueling taken away.
fistandantilus4.0
I have a character that ended up with a cyberarm basically doing just that. smile.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
not sure there's any hard and fast rules, but we always rules you lost a limb when you took dealdy damage. Then we'd roll 1D6 to see waht got lost.
1- left arm
2-right arm
3- left leg
4- right leg
6- head

quick and easy

We use a d20, what gives more chance that a leg or arm is hit.
RunnerPaul
d20s give you cancer. I thought everyone here knew that.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
1- left arm
2-right arm
3- left leg
4- right leg
6- head

quick and easy

Every time you take deadly? eek.gif

Harsh.
Grinder
Life is no pony farm.
Digital Heroin
Yeah it isn't, but consider the countless cases of guys and gals in real life getting absolutely ruined in some form of accident or another and recovering without loss of limb. If today's medicine can save limbs without need for big old metal arms and cloning, then I'm not sure every single traumatic damaging incident would result in loss of limb.

Well, unless there's a major calcium deficiency in the 2070s, and people are all frail and such.
Grinder
Good points. Maybe take a step down and only apply loos of a limb to serious, massive damage, like getting a deadly wound with one hit?
Konsaki
Why not just apply limb loss when the player wants one of their limbs hacked off? You could just disable that limb for the scene until they received true hospital/clinic treatment.
Grinder
Because cyber limbs are cool. biggrin.gif
Konsaki
Depends on the person. I personally dont like cyberlimbs and wouldnt put one on any character I play. If I lost a limb, I would have my character pay for the vat grown one with his own DNA, but thats the type of person I am.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
I use a rule that you might like. If you take enough damage to kill you then just spend two points of edge and you loose a limb instead. That way the player feels like they are making a trade off to save themselves instead of having their limbs crueling taken away.

So this is an alternative to the Escape Certain Death rule? Spend two points of edge and lose a limb or burn one point permanently?
Gosh, maybe I'm a meanie, but I consider this sort of thing to be perfectly within the reasonable bounds of Escape Certain Death. My players know that the point of Edge burned isn't the only bad thing that'll happen.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Depends on the person. I personally dont like cyberlimbs and wouldnt put one on any character I play. If I lost a limb, I would have my character pay for the vat grown one with his own DNA, but thats the type of person I am.

What's not to like? Would they be embarrassed that they don't have an arm? Do they not like increased accuracy? Don't they need anywhere to keep their change? nyahnyah.gif

I can understand not wanting to get one when your arms are attatched. Who wants their arms cut off? But once that arm is off, it seems kinda odd not to go for the socially accepted, less expensive and more advantageous cyber-limb.
Konsaki
Unless you lose essence by installing it, instead of getting the vat grown arm from your own DNA... I play alot of high essence characters, even if they arnt magically active they have high essence.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Unless you lose essence by installing it, instead of getting the vat grown arm from your own DNA... I play alot of high essence characters, even if they arnt magically active they have high essence.

Maybe I'm missing how usefull essence is if you're not a spellcaster then. To what end do you keep your essence high?
Konsaki
Healing tests and the fact that I think Essence is a numerical value attributed to how 'Alive' you are or how connected to life you are. Someone with a high value would be a normal person, but the lower you go, the more disconnected you are.
I know there is no true rule for this, its sort of a self imposed thing.

Edit : Remember that Technomancers fall under the essence loss thing too... though it doesnt make much sense.
Lantzer
QUOTE (Konsaki)

Edit : Remember that Technomancers fall under the essence loss thing too... though it doesnt make much sense.

Well you could argue that the nervous system of a TM is a finely tuned antenna, and excessive cyber messes with the body's magnetic field.

Not saying its a good rationalization. You could argue about the effects of things like plastic bone lacing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012