Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to get your teammate's kid for the Holidays
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Backgammon
Wasn't there something about that in the Seattle book, talking abou the Urban Combat Simulator? Usually they use fake ammo, but sometimes they throw runners in while the soldiers use live ammo?
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Wasn't there something about that in the Seattle book, talking abou the Urban Combat Simulator? Usually they use fake ammo, but sometimes they throw runners in while the soldiers use live ammo?

Yes, it's under the Fort Lewis section in the New Seattle book IIRC, they talked about the urban combat simulator and they have been known to hire runners as OPFOR for the troops to get experience. And supposedly sometimes the soldiers get real ammo...
IvanTank
QUOTE (eidolon)
Just fyi, saying "paintball sniper rifle" will get you laughed off the field.

(They don't exist, all "manufacturers taking advantage of new players by slapping the word 'sniper' on upgrades" aside. wink.gif)

I am sorry, but my flatline barrel on my tippman model 98 is pretty damned accurate at LONG ranges. It's diturbing to watch the ball go after shooting it, it looks like it is floating, at high speed, toward the target, with little to no arcing. It does it by putting a back spin on the paint ball with a curved barrel, causing it to effectively have an upward thrust to counteract gravity.
eidolon
Don't be sorry, the Flatline is the first thing that gets mentioned when you say "there is no such thing as a paintball sniper rifle".

The fact that my Oracle 'cocker, with its stock 2 piece 14" barrel, matches distance and accuracy shot for shot with a fine-tuned Tippy 98 or A-5 with a Flatline is pretty solid evidence, AFAIC.

Then there's the fact that any marker's distance is a factor of initial velocity (in other words, if you're shooting hot the ball will go farther).

And don't feel like I'm knocking your marker or anything. I'm not. I own an A-5 too, and a 98 with a Flatline is a good marker. It's just that the Flatline is no magic bullet (haha), and there's still no such thing as sniping (read: long distance shooting of a point target, not sniping as in laying in wait etc, etc) in paintball.
Angelone
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Ryu @ Dec 6 2006, 11:49 AM)
They´ll not laugh, but you will not get to play at all. Unless you provide the other players with the same "high tech helmet and body armor" that the air force uses.

"Listen, I've brought 2 magazines with me. This one, marked with the blue paint, is loaded with paint capsules. The other is loaded with NATO ball ammo. I'm going to play with you, one way or another. Which way is up to you."

The biggest advantage of using paint capsule simmunition rather than standard paintballs is that you can always pop in a live magazine.

You have to swap out the barrel to use the paint rounds, they also jam frequently. Clean-up isn't fun.
kigmatzomat
Screw cyber, you never know if she'll be a mage or technomancer. That and it'll be obsolete in a couple years.

The right gift for everyone is a couple of microdrones. I'm personally fond of the iBall, complete with flashpak & smoke grenade, though a MCT flyspy is nothing to sneeze at. Let's face it, why have a toy when you can have a weapon system and why have a weapon when you could have a motive weapon with its own AI? I say if the budget is limited to load the drone up with all the pilot, sensors, and autosofts you can afford and put a basic trid camera on it, maybe with lowlight. Then give upgraded sensor packages for birthdays, kwanza, boxing day, etc.

My preferred sensor load for a "personal" drone is two cameras (#1 ultrasound+lowlight, #2 thermo, vmag, flarecomp) and a MAD sensor. Keep it in your pocket as a combination weapon scanner/smoke bomb/flashpak/scout/camera.

Alternately swap out the MAD sensor for a laser mic with audio enhancements and dump the ultrasound for vmag, flare comp & visual enhancement for a great spybug. This one is good for the flyspy since you can get it up to the 32nd floor and listen in on conversations.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
Screw cyber, you never know if she'll be a mage.

That's even more reason to give her cyber! Hell, in addition to the cyberarms, if you think she might be a mage get her the Cybertorso and Cyberlegs package, too!

~J
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Angelone)
You have to swap out the barrel to use the paint rounds, they also jam frequently. Clean-up isn't fun.

Barrel swapping in a handgun can be fairly quick, but for the M16 in the article, it takes a while.

I would imagine that the US military uses a complete upper receiver for training ammo. Separating the upper and lower receiver is part of normal field stripping. Everyone who is allowed to carry a M16 should know how to do it.

I would guess you just replace the upper receiver, replace the recoil spring & buffer, and you are ready to shoot your buddy.
RunnerPaul
I was considering resurrecting this thread but then I figured that it's 24 Dec, and I had a thread about what to get your teammate's kid for the Holidays, and figured it was the better choice to perform the thread necromancy on.

Anyway, who thinks this ensemble would work much better on a pre-teen girl than it does the guy in the photo? And there's still some time for that last minute shopping if you want to get it for under the tree tomorrow.

(And even if the stores are closed, since when has a shadowrunner cared about business hours?)
Fortune
I don't know about the gun, but I know a little girl who would absolutely love to have his Hello Kitty cammos. biggrin.gif
Ancient History
Frag grenades. Great stocking stuffers.
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (Ed_209a)

I would imagine that the US military uses a complete upper receiver for training ammo. Separating the upper and lower receiver is part of normal field stripping. Everyone who is allowed to carry a M16 should know how to do it.

no, or at least not for the marines, what we get is unfortunately like you see in the movie "Heartbreak Ridge" A screw on plug to cap the barrel with a laser emmiter that is set off by the blanks hits the special sensors on the LBV and when your rig starts beeping you've been hit. either that or we just get the plugs and the blanks and have to go "I shot you" of course the other side goes "no you didnt i was under cover"
SL James
Jesus, fuck, man. The US Marine Corps is playing Cowboys and Indians.

Wow.
Sir_Psycho
"I shot you!"
"Nah-uh!"
"I So shot you!"
"No way! I had my... magical forcefield!"
"Oh... well... I had magical bullets that go through forcefields and kill yoouuu!"
"Yeah but i had my magical mirror armour that reflects bullets back at you so now you are dead by your own bullet!"
"NO FAIR!"

PS. Get the kid a cybertail and kid stealth legs. Give her a real edge in gym class. And also in i-just-cut-your-face-open-with-my-toes class.
Zev
QUOTE (SL James)

Wow.

Happens in the Army too...

And you just need to switch out the bolt.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Zev)
QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 25 2006, 02:00 AM)

Wow.

Happens in the Army too...

And you just need to switch out the bolt.

Yeah for that kinda thing personally I prefer paintballs. Cause even when you use rubber balls you still get jokers going 'you didnt hit me! you didnt hit me!" even when you can see the rounds bouncing off the guys back.

Had that happen in a game of Delierium once, though one of the judges saw it so the next game the guy was setn into the maze without gun and we got to do nothing but hunt him down and shoot him repeatedly for 30 minutes.

That was the last time he ever did that. Cause those things hurt and at the ranges we were shooting him at, they leave lots of bruises, welts and such.

That MILES thing (I think is what it's called for the laser emitter stuff) isnt much better I'd immagine. From what little I know of it it's just outdoor lasertag and lasertag in my experience is really horrible at even registering the hits. Its why I refuse to play lasertag anymore. I've litterally put the guns right up aginst peoples target markers and pulled the trigger ten, twenty times without a single hit. And you get some of these guys doing this stupid jiggle crap so their target spots are harder to hit.

I'm sorry but jiggling round like a iddiot is not going to save you from a guy shooting you in the chest with a real gun. Thus my preference for paintballs. Dispite other drawbacks you cant mistake a hit with that fresh blotch of paint.

Tagball is a close second since if the guy wants to deny it I have and will shoot the bastard at point blank and make him really feel it.

As to the OP...

To be honest I'd probably go with the my little cyberzombie construction kit. I hear it's great fun for all ages!
SL James
QUOTE (Kesslan)
Yeah for that kinda thing personally I prefer paintballs. Cause even when you use rubber balls you still get jokers going 'you didnt hit me! you didnt hit me!" even when you can see the rounds bouncing off the guys back.

Had that happen in a game of Delierium once, though one of the judges saw it so the next game the guy was setn into the maze without gun and we got to do nothing but hunt him down and shoot him repeatedly for 30 minutes.

That. Is. Awesome.
Moon-Hawk
Aren't there stories of RL soldiers getting shot and not noticing for a bit, because they were in the heat of battle?
Is it wholly beyond the realm of possibility that he got caught up in the game and genuinely didn't feel it?
I'm not being a smart-ass, I'm genuinely asking, as I have never been shot by bullet or by paintball, so I don't know.
I mean, he was probably a lying, cheating bastard, I admit, I'm just wondering if it's possible.
Kagetenshi
Not that I have extensive knowledge of the subject, but a bullet would impart a lot less impulse and, if it penetrated armor, would also be triggering physiological shock—I could see it being non-noticable more readily than a paintball or more sizable rubber ball. Anyone else see it differently?

~J
Kesslan
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Aren't there stories of RL soldiers getting shot and not noticing for a bit, because they were in the heat of battle?
Is it wholly beyond the realm of possibility that he got caught up in the game and genuinely didn't feel it?
I'm not being a smart-ass, I'm genuinely asking, as I have never been shot by bullet or by paintball, so I don't know.
I mean, he was probably a lying, cheating bastard, I admit, I'm just wondering if it's possible.

Nah the guy was being shot in the back by like four of us, and then one guy shot him like three times close range and he just kept yelling out that he wasnt hit wasnt hit.

I mean people from both teams all saw it and complained about it. It didnt help him any that a judge saw it as well. And, at least at the local tagball arena they ah... really discourage said activities.

It's also very hard -not- to notice being hit by those balls when it's actually a direct hit and not a ricoche (which doesnt count). And I mean you can definately feel the ones that bounce of a wall or something and then hit you just fine. The ones that hit dead on often leave a bruise or welt.

Apparently it hurts alot to be hit in the groin with one of those things too, I've seen that happen to a couple of guys so far and I've yet to fail to see em keel over for a few moments at the very least. The thing you've got to keep in mind is the balls hit alot harder than a paintball because they dont break, their 10mm solid rubber balls fired out of markers almost at the same (Slightly lower) PSI than paintballs.

I mean if it was only one hit or two I might see it but between about three or four of us we bounced a good 20 rounds off him direct hit at the same time.

I think the only thing I ever enjoyed more was when they played a game of traitor. Each team started off but they secretly would tap a player from each team to be a traitor. You had to basically waste your own team. Most people dont get too far with that, alot just open up right in the starting area when the judges say go.

Others are abit sneakier and might get a few guys.

I got everyone but one person on my team of 12 biggrin.gif

I hung back with the legitimate need to reload my hopper, then started picking off everyone from behind untill I finally got spotted by the time i was down to 4 team mates, I managed to peg 3 more when the finally cornered me. Good times.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kesslan)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Dec 27 2006, 10:42 AM)

Nah the guy was being shot in the back by like four of us, and then one guy shot him like three times close range and he just kept yelling out that he wasnt hit wasnt hit.

I mean people from both teams all saw it and complained about it. It didnt help him any that a judge saw it as well. And, at least at the local tagball arena they ah... really discourage said activities.

It's also very hard -not- to notice being hit by those balls when it's actually a direct hit and not a ricoche (which doesnt count). And I mean you can definately feel the ones that bounce of a wall or something and then hit you just fine. The ones that hit dead on often leave a bruise or welt.

Apparently it hurts alot to be hit in the groin with one of those things too, I've seen that happen to a couple of guys so far and I've yet to fail to see em keel over for a few moments at the very least. The thing you've got to keep in mind is the balls hit alot harder than a paintball because they dont break, their 10mm solid rubber balls fired out of markers almost at the same (Slightly lower) PSI than paintballs.

I mean if it was only one hit or two I might see it but between about three or four of us we bounced a good 20 rounds off him direct hit at the same time.

I think the only thing I ever enjoyed more was when they played a game of traitor. Each team started off but they secretly would tap a player from each team to be a traitor. You had to basically waste your own team. Most people dont get too far with that, alot just open up right in the starting area when the judges say go.

Others are abit sneakier and might get a few guys.

I got everyone but one person on my team of 12 biggrin.gif

I hung back with the legitimate need to reload my hopper, then started picking off everyone from behind untill I finally got spotted by the time i was down to 4 team mates, I managed to peg 3 more when the finally cornered me. Good times.

Bringing legitimacy to the art of being a team-killing fucktard! smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Back on the original topic, another idea is a six-month supply of Novacoke. Of course, you can't give it to them all at once or it'll become a one-month supply…

~J
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Back on the original topic, another idea is a six-month supply of Novacoke. Of course, you can't give it to them all at once or it'll become a one-month supply…

~J

No, what it will become is fresh bisuness for the City Morgue. Or possibly the DocWagon Overdose Team.

Why not just shovel a large pile of nuyen.gif her way and let her buy what she likes?
Kagetenshi
She's a kid. How's she supposed to know the good novablow from stuff that's been cut to drek?

~J
Kesslan
Not to mention you can whip up the novacoke yourself if you have a good chemistry skill and the recipe

Personally though, in the case of narcotics I'd probably get the kit a 'My little Johnson' kit or if you dont want the kid to become a J get them a 'My little fixer' kit and teach them to fetch you all that wizzer gear you want.

And since you've been such a good pal to them, giving them presents and such and help leading them into a life of crime, they may just give you a discount.
ShadowDragon8685
Maybe the kid just wants to be a kid and not a criminal/novacoke addict?
Kesslan
Who the hell cares what the kid wants to be? The corps dont, why should we? Best we mould them our way now so that later down the road they arnt trying to geek us, or become the subjects of an extraction or something else like that!
ShadowDragon8685
Well hell, with an attitude like that, why not just give the kid a case of lead poisoning and be done with it?
Kesslan
Well because you allwasy need some new buddies in the shadows!

Who knows if you live long enough you might be running with the kid some day. Who will no doubt be angsty driven to take down the corps cause his old man (Your team mate) got gunned down by some wageslave corpsec.

Or hey better yet, shove em down the path of becomming a hacker! That way you can score wiz new IDs off em!
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Maybe the kid just wants to be a kid and not a criminal/novacoke addict?

Bah, kids don't know what they want. Most of them want to be a princess or a rock star or a dinosaur, yet despite none of these professions requiring a four-year degree we still make them go to elementary school, right?

wait...how old is the kid? wink.gif
zeb.hillard
A one-way ticket to the slave dens, or the chance to be a participant into a blood magic sacrifice?

Hrm...nah, that's what we'd NEED her for...not what we'd want to get her.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012