Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: are spirits effected by electrical damage?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Garrowolf
I'm trying to figure out if spirits would be effected by stun from eletrical attacks. Does it say anything about it anywhere?
Jaid
it doesn't say they are not.

the default is that things are affected by electrical damage.

therefore, spirits are affected by electrical damage.
Lord Ben
So shoot spirits with stick and shock ammo?
Jaid
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
So shoot spirits with stick and shock ammo?

sure. ignores half their hardened armor, has a nice base damage even in a crappy gun, might knock 'em out, and if they are fully stunned they are disrupted and can't come back for quite some time. stick n shock is an excellent way to deal with spirits.
Garrowolf
Well there is a mention of the possibility that electrical damage not effecting someone that is levitating depending on what the GM decides in the book. It also says that spirits usually float even if they are staying clse to the ground (ie they are not subject to gravity).

Now I was thinking not because the shock stuff is overloading our CNS, but they don't have one. They also list vehicles and drones and such as to not having stun tracks so not everything has one.

I don't think that the electrical damage would halve the impact because it is specifically a normal damage type and not magical.

I was wondering if there was anything actually stated about it in one of the books, maybe even an earlier edition.
Fortune
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
I don't think that the electrical damage would halve the impact because it is specifically a normal damage type and not magical.

While it may be normal, non-magical damage, it s also considered an elemental effect, and Spirits are specifically vulnerable to these types of attacks.
Garrowolf
I would agree about the elemental effect if it was magical but it doesn't fall into the list on pg 288. Elemental is not in the list of magical effects that the immunity doesn't work against.

Besides by that logic nearly all weapons are elemental because they are made of Earth and Metal elements.

Only spirits of fire and water have the other element as a weakness.
Ryu
I´d spare the spirit from the knockdown-test, but else use standard rules. As it is a non-magical attack, the immunity power works.
knasser
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
I'm trying to figure out if spirits would be effected by stun from eletrical attacks. Does it say anything about it anywhere?

There are two angles: Flavour Consistency and RAW. I think you can make a case with both for electrical damage not affecting spirits in the same way.

Street Magic makes it explicit that materialised forms of spirits do not possess internal organs, nervous system, etc. So it's counter-intuitive that the stunning component of electrical damage would affect them and is a prime candidate for GM judgement call.

But going by RAW, they will usually be immune to electrical attacks. The description for Immunity to Normal Weapons is explicit in saying that it
applies to all weapons that are not magical (weapon foci, spells, adept or critter powers).
So stick and shock is still going to have a difficult time having much effect. At best, after the spirit has rolled it's normal defenses, any remaining damage is resisted with Body + Willpower + half impact (3), which gives Freddy the Force Four Fire Elemental 12 dice to shake off the secondary effects so automatic success on the threshold three target.

So for me personally as a GM, I have materialised spirits ignore electrical damage for setting consistency. After all the same question would apply in principle to whether a Fire Elemental was immune to fire which I also consider to be the case. But going by RAW, spirits are still more or less immune to electrical damage. Least ways you're far worse off than loading up with regular ammo and boosting the DV with burst fire and good shooting than you are using stick and shock.

The grey area is magically inflicted electrical damage. The spirit is explicitly not immune to damage from spells. Personally I allow this to affect spirits unless there is an obvious reason not to, e.g. Lightening Bolt vs. a Storm Spirit. But I have no problem letting a spirit ignore secondary effects like electrical stun damage. I can't back immunity to magical electrical damage up with RAW, but when I've described some twisted city spirit formed of iron girders and steel wire fingers lurching towards the party, it violates sense that the electricity isn't just going to run over and through it in a suitably Big Trouble in Little China manner. biggrin.gif

Hope this helps,

-K.
ixombie
It might seem a little silly for you to be able to tase a spirit and knock it out, but you could easily explain it as the electricity disrupting the materialized spirit's aura.

While it might make sense to make spirits immune to electricity from a realism standpoint, what is the in-game justification? Is it that electricity hurts spirits too easily? That -half armor IS pretty good against them, it basically cuts away their advantage from immunity to normal weapons. But acid, fire, and cold have those same effects too... If you're making electricity not work based on it being too effective, you have to worry about the other elemental damage types which are no less effective. Spirits can't be immune to all of them, can they?

The only real argument for making spirits immune to electricity is a sense of realism, which is not an asset when making house rules. You can't change the game based on realism, because the whole damn system is unrealistic! Changing it just eviscerates carefully tested and balanced rules, leaving you with a much wore game overall.
knasser
QUOTE (ixombie)
You can't change the game based on realism, because the whole damn system is unrealistic! Changing it just eviscerates carefully tested and balanced rules, leaving you with a much wore game overall.

I mostly certainly can change the game based on realism. Electricity has its stunning effect because it overwhelms the human nervous system. It is made explicitly clear in Street Magic that even human-appearing spirits do not actually possess this. So while it's possible to make fluff justifications if you wish, such as where you say that electricity disrupts a spirit's materialised form, I see no need to try and come up with such justifications. My spirit descriptions are frequently very colourful. I have storm spirits that are virtually seething monsters of lightening and thunder. Am I really going to let electricity damage have it writhing on the floor?

As I pointed out above, the same argument applies to even more counter-intuitive situations. Is your fire elemental immune to fire damage? If you say that he isn't then it's going to seem silly when players hold it back with a flame-thrower. But if you say that he is then you've just "eviscerated carefully tested and balanced rules" according to you.

There are numerous cases where the GM needs to make sensible judgement calls like this. I consider electrical stun damage to be one of them. And in this particular instance the affect on game balance is a long way from eviscerating because by RAW, spirits do have their immunity to normal weapons apply against electrical attacks and even against the magical ones, most spirits will be able to muster the three successes on a Willpower + Body roll to shrug off the stun effect, even though you are denying them the + 1/2 impact in your game. So the change is minimal and fits fluff.
Shrike30
I might leave the stunning effect out (based on the lack of a CNS) but keep the half-armor effect in, as it's part of the elemental damage being done. If you bake up a spirit with a flamethrower, hit it with a firehose, or trap it in a windtunnel while you dump a dumptruck full of sand into the intakes (okay, I'm reaching here, but you get my point), it's going to be taking elemental damage, and most GMs wouldn't have a problem saying that "normal weapons" doesn't include a gout of flame, blast of water, or getting torn up in a sandstorm. Jamming a loose power line into the side of a spirit (or hitting it with a SnS round) ought to fall into the same category.

Stick'n'shock ammo is one of those things that I've limited a bit in my games by making it something that's only available as a type of shotgun ammunition. When fired from a full-auto weapon or tucked away in a character's holdout, I feel it creates balance problems. With the Remington 990 being the only weapon (so far, and in my game) that can load it, I really don't have a problem with it. It may well be that allowing a machine pistol full of SnS to go up against a spirit results in instant spirit-B-gone, in which case the GM of a game should make adjustments accordingly. However, I've really not had problems with SnS when it's not compatible with weapons that can also go burst or auto to jack up that baseline 6S(e)/(x0.5) damage code.
X-Kalibur
or trap it in a windtunnel while you dump a dumptruck full of sand into the intakes

Been playing Quest For Glory 2 lately?
Garrowolf
Okay so there is no actual rules some place that I have missed about it.
I'm going to not use the half impact because it is magical armor and not physical armor. There is no actual armor there. It is just using the same game mechanic. The logic behind halving impact is that the armor was not designed to stop it unless you have non conductivity added. Magical armor is not actually there, it is just the effect of their natures. If they had weakness: electrical then halving the impact or the armor in general would make sense.
Fortune
So will you make the same ruling in regards to armor provided via Spell (or any other Magical source)?
Fortune
In all other editions of Shadowrun, Spirits (and Elementals) have been vulnerable to Elemental Attacks of all types. I am very surprised that there is nothing of the like in SR4.
Garrowolf
Actually yes. I tend to think the same about the armor spell. It uses the same game mechanic as armor but it works through something closer to a force field. There is no material for it to conduct through. It is trying to keep it from making contact.
knasser
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Dec 5 2006, 01:02 PM)
If you bake up a spirit with a flamethrower, hit it with a firehose, or trap it in a windtunnel while you dump a dumptruck full of sand into the intakes (okay, I'm reaching here, but you get my point), it's going to be taking elemental damage, and most GMs wouldn't have a problem saying that "normal weapons" doesn't include a gout of flame, blast of water, or getting torn up in a sandstorm.  Jamming a loose power line into the side of a spirit (or hitting it with a SnS round) ought to fall into the same category.

QUOTE (Fortune)
In all other editions of Shadowrun, Spirits (and Elementals) have been vulnerable to Elemental Attacks of all types. I am very surprised that there is nothing of the like in SR4.

Am I really in a minority of GM's on this one? I'm kind of surprised. Aside from RAW supporting it, It makes perfect flavour sense to me for spirit immunity to apply to normal elemental attacks. Earth elemental made of stone being quite so bothered about burning itself with matches as a human? Storm Spirit of formed of lightening and thunder cloud being phased by taser darts? I note that your examples were all pretty heavy examples, like jamming loose power lines into their sides, or trapping them in giant sand-blasters. These are fine, high DV, sustained damage attacks and will overcome most spirit's Immunity Power because of that alone. You don't have to remove their immunity to make such attacks work. But conversely if you do remove their immunity, you make them more vulnerable than a human with an armoured jacket. Okay, they might have human samurai-like Body to resist with, but essentially your Force 7 Beast Spirit now has no armour against elemental attacks. I'm surprised your players don't routinely carry flamethrowers as instant Spirit-B-Gone. wink.gif

QUOTE (Shrike30)

Stick'n'shock ammo is one of those things that I've limited a bit in my games by making it something that's only available as a type of shotgun ammunition.  When fired from a full-auto weapon or tucked away in a character's holdout, I feel it creates balance problems.  With the Remington 990 being the only weapon (so far, and in my game) that can load it, I really don't have a problem with it.  It may well be that allowing a machine pistol full of SnS to go up against a spirit results in instant spirit-B-gone, in which case the GM of a game should make adjustments accordingly.  However, I've really not had problems with SnS when it's not compatible with weapons that can also go burst or auto to jack up that baseline 6S(e)/(x0.5) damage code.

I've had to go back and check this and it turns out that I'm wrong in how I've been playing. RAW as written does support increasing DV value for stick and shock by automatic fire as it simply says "increase the DV of the attack" rather than "weapon." But I had always replaced the DV of the attack with the Stick and Shock after the scaling, so Stick and Shock just did its 6(e) damage as always. I'm going to stick with that as it's a quick way of keeping balance.

Even by RAW though, It's not going to result in spirit massacres as it doesn't bypass their armour any better than any other type of ammo and most spirits will shrug off the Will + Bod + 1/2 Armour (3) stun test without noticing because that isn't going to increase even if you're emptying an entire Ingram White Knight of SnS into the thing. biggrin.gif

Spirits rock!
knasser
QUOTE (Garrowolf @ Dec 6 2006, 03:03 AM)
Actually yes. I tend to think the same about the armor spell. It uses the same game mechanic as armor but it works through something closer to a force field. There is no material for it to conduct through. It is trying to keep it from making contact.

Hmmm. I disagree with you there. Well, I agree with your view on spirit's armour simply using the same mechanics, but I don't think armour is the same thing. If anything, you could make the reverse argument with it and say it confers less defense against electricity damage because all it is is a force field that slows down / impedes attacks. You can see that limiting damage from normal bullets, but so long as the stick and shock hits, it's going to glue on and do the same damage regardless of if it hit fast or hit slow.

I suppose you could visualise it clinging on for a moment until it's overcome by the armour spell and goes flying off again like rocket propelled bubble-gum. wink.gif
hyzmarca
In previous editions, elemental attacks explicitly halved a spirit's immunity. Now, they explicitly use half impact armor against everything, which has the same effect as halving the spirit's immunity.
ixombie
People are making up a lot of stuff about spirits having force fields or being able to become ethereal at will. Neither of those assumptions are supported by the RAW. When spirits materialize, they become physical beings. The can de-materialize using the materialize power, but that requires an action. They don't phase in and out to avoid attacks like those stupid ghosts from Matrix 2. There is also nothing to support that their immunity works like a forcefield which repels things, that's totally confabulated.
knasser
QUOTE (ixombie)
People are making up a lot of stuff about spirits having force fields or being able to become ethereal at will. Neither of those assumptions are supported by the RAW. When spirits materialize, they become physical beings. The can de-materialize using the materialize power, but that requires an action. They don't phase in and out to avoid attacks like those stupid ghosts from Matrix 2. There is also nothing to support that their immunity works like a forcefield which repels things, that's totally confabulated.

I'm not sure if I'm included in with the confabulators. I did comment on the armour spell issue as an aside. But I'll take a stab at this one, anyway. I've never taken the Immunity to Normal Weapons of Materialising spirits as actual armour, though mechanically I treat it the same way. How I do interpret it in game depends on the spirit.

If it's a water elemental or a wind spirit, then I may well say that the bullets have no noticeable effect as they pass straight through the material of its body. I'd have absolutely no problem saying that stick and shock (to go with this thread's favoured example) just falls off. If it were a squat little earth elemental made of stone, I'd probably delight in describing all the little sparking wads of SnS, glued to it. Low enough force that it can feel some of the damage, you might see it stop and start slapping them off it, but normally they just become decoration.

Basically, though I use the same mechanics, there are a wide variety of ways I'll portray the effect.

(And Beast Spirits are just tough motherfuckers, that don't have the sense to realise they're hurt. biggrin.gif )
2bit
It has become increasingly apparent to me that dumpshock is becoming a breeding ground for confabulation. This has to stop.
knasser
QUOTE (2bit @ Dec 6 2006, 11:35 AM)
It has become increasingly apparent to me that dumpshock is becoming a breeding ground for confabulation.  This has to stop.

Well the mods have been trying. wink.gif

(I suspect the original poster doesn't actually know what confabulation is).
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (knasser)
Even by RAW though, It's not going to result in spirit massacres as it doesn't bypass their armour any better than any other type of ammo and most spirits will shrug off the Will + Bod + 1/2 Armour (3) stun test without noticing because that isn't going to increase even if you're emptying an entire Ingram White Knight of SnS into the thing. biggrin.gif

Spirits rock!

Well, no, you see - if you successfully shoot a force 6 spirit (i.e. one net success or better) with stick & shock ammo, then it has to make a damage resistance test.

If you shoot it with normal ammo, you'll need about a half-dozen net successes before the spirit needs to make a damage resistance test.

(Assuming a single shot in both instances.)

Stick & Shock is significantly better -
(bod 6 + armor 6) vs. (6s+net successes)
or
(bod 6 + armor 12) vs. [(base damage + net successes) or zero (if base damage + net successes <= 12)]

You can surpass stick & shock's capabilities if you're using a heavy weapon, burst fire, and/or EX-EX ammo - but that's all harder and more expensive to obtain, less versitile, and much harder to sneak around with.
mfb
QUOTE (knasser)
Am I really in a minority of GM's on this one? I'm kind of surprised. Aside from RAW supporting it, It makes perfect flavour sense to me for spirit immunity to apply to normal elemental attacks. Earth elemental made of stone being quite so bothered about burning itself with matches as a human? Storm Spirit of formed of lightening and thunder cloud being phased by taser darts?

it's not about sense, per se. the flavor defines what makes sense. to someone who grew up on D&D, the idea of calling some kind of crazy octopus a "succubus" might not make much sense.

in SR, traditionally, elemental attacks tap into something... well, elemental, that gives them power that other mundane attacks lack. a fire elemental is less bothered by matches than a human--but he's more bothered by matches than he is by cutting himself with a carbon fiber blade. for whatever reason--symbolic link, some sort of Superman-esque allergy to chunks of its home plane, whatever--elemental attacks, in SR, are more able to damage spirits than non-elemental attacks.

now, i'll grant that things get stupid when you start pulling in all these 'other' elements. metal and wood, okay, those are elements according to some systems of belief. but sand? light? acid? it seems like everything gets to be an element. that, to me at least, seems... inconsistent. someone, i think, should've put down the Planescape.
knasser
QUOTE (mfb @ Dec 6 2006, 03:51 PM)

it's not about sense, per se. the flavor defines what makes sense. to someone who grew up on D&D, the idea of calling some kind of crazy octopus a "succubus" might not make much sense.

in SR, traditionally, elemental attacks tap into something... well, elemental, that gives them power that other mundane attacks lack. a fire elemental is less bothered by matches than a human--but he's more bothered by matches than he is by cutting himself with a carbon fiber blade. for whatever reason--symbolic link, some sort of Superman-esque allergy to chunks of its home plane, whatever--elemental attacks, in SR, are more able to damage spirits than non-elemental attacks.

now, i'll grant that things get stupid when you start pulling in all these 'other' elements. metal and wood, okay, those are elements according to some systems of belief. but sand? light? acid? it seems like everything gets to be an element. that, to me at least, seems... inconsistent. someone, i think, should've put down the Planescape.

Heh! Yeah - the succubus. Nomination for most disappointing creature artwork in RPG history. sarcastic.gif

We're in complete agreement on this MFB, but we have different expectations of how a spirit would work. In your context elemental vulnerability works, in mine not. Neither of our viewpoints has internal inconsistency. The only point of debate we could have would be about whose preconceptions were most justified. That's not a debate I wish to have as it's of no use to either of us in developing our own thoughts. Elemental vulnerability seems odd to me, and might to your players if they don't have your background in previous editions. But I doubt they'll complain when they realise they can defeat the free elemental adversary with a fire hose. wink.gif smile.gif

On an utterly unrelated note, does anyone know how to turn off the board's spell checker? It seems to be based on some bizarre degenerate form of English that can't handle the letter 'U' and keeps mistaking S's for Z's. nyahnyah.gif
eidolon
What browser are you using? I don't think the board has an active spell checker (actually, I know it doesn't). If it's the browser's spell checker, it's set to American English (and I don't know if there's a British English dictionary for either, I just add words as I use them).
hyzmarca
QUOTE (knasser)
On an utterly unrelated note, does anyone know how to turn off the board's spell checker? It seems to be based on some bizarre degenerate form of English that can't handle the letter 'U' and keeps mistaking S's for Z's. nyahnyah.gif

Firefox 2.0?

Tools>Options>Advanced>General:Check my spelling as I type.

Uncheck it.

And I know the truth. The Us are for cheating at scrabble.
ixombie
QUOTE (knasser @ Dec 6 2006, 10:42 AM)
If it's a water elemental or a wind spirit, then I may well say that the bullets have no noticeable effect as they pass straight through the material of its body. I'd have absolutely no problem saying that stick and shock (to go with this thread's favoured example) just falls off.  If it were a squat little earth elemental made of stone, I'd probably delight in describing all the little sparking wads of SnS, glued to it.  Low enough force that it can feel some of the damage, you might see it stop and start slapping them off it, but normally they just become decoration.

That makes sense, but you're making an assumption: that elemental spirits are actually made out of an element. But I don't remember reading that anywhere...

It's sort of confusing, because in a way the spirits are made out of their element. If a fire spirit engulfs you, you burn, if a water spirit englufs you, you drown, just like if you were engulfed by real fire or water. Yet, fire spirits aren't immune to fire and water spirits aren't immune to being blasted with a water jet... why? Because even though they share properties with their elements, they are not actually made of those elements. Spirits are made out of materialized spirit... stuff. What exactly that is is an unknown in SR. But we do know its properties - it's highly resistant to damage by anything non-magical.

If spirits were made out of their element and they had all the properties it had, then they'd have some kind of power, like "elemental body" which would confer immunity to just about everything on them. If fire spirits were really made of an element, then only attacks which extinguish flame could hurt them, things like bullets or grenades would be a joke. If water spirits were really water, the only thing you could do to hurt them would be use a heat attack that boils them away... and maybe that wouldn't even work, because water is still h20 when it's steam, they could just condense back together.

I agree with what you're saying so far as it means a cinematic explanation for why an attack fails to penetrate their immunity. If bullets bounce of the hardened armor of an air elemental, it's more cool to describe them as going through harmlessly than bouncing off. But if someone wants to say that spirits are immune to electricity because they're a living element and electricity won't damage a living element, that just doesn't fly.

Also, what about guardian or guidance spirits? They're definitely, positively not made of an element. Are they invulnerable to stik-n-shok too? Why?

The only RAW supported reason for spirits being immune to elecricity is that they're not grounded, and I can't fault the logic in saying that flying spirits, i.e. fire and air, can't be hurt by electrical attacks because they fly. But the RAW doesn't support the notion that all spirits float, it never says that... The spirits who walk, namely most of them, are vulnerable to electricity per the RAW, and that's it.

And I still haven't heard a good reason why we need to tear the RAW to shreds - is it somehow bad that runners can hurt spirits with stik-n-shok? Ought spirits to be the ultimate unstoppable killing machines that you throw at runners whenever you're bored and want to end the game? Nothing is a trump card in SR4, at least not by its pure nature. You can always use a force 10 spirit if you want your runners to pee themselves and flee. But what is the point of making even force 6, something that any good mage just out of chargen could summon, more or less unstoppable except by magic? Why, exactly, is it such a bad thing for mundanes to kill spirits using stik-n-shok ammo?

EDIT: If someone is arguing that immunity doesn't work against elemental attacks, that's wrong. They used to get less bonus from immunity to elemental attacks and explosions in SR3, but that's gone. In SR4, immunity still applies. It's just that electrical, fire, and acid attacks all go against half impact armor, so they effectively cut a spirit's immunity in half.
knasser
QUOTE (ixombie)
QUOTE (knasser @ Dec 6 2006, 10:42 AM)
If it's a water elemental or a wind spirit, then I may well say that the bullets have no noticeable effect as they pass straight through the material of its body. I'd have absolutely no problem saying that stick and shock (to go with this thread's favoured example) just falls off.  If it were a squat little earth elemental made of stone, I'd probably delight in describing all the little sparking wads of SnS, glued to it.  Low enough force that it can feel some of the damage, you might see it stop and start slapping them off it, but normally they just become decoration.

That makes sense, but you're making an assumption: that elemental spirits are actually made out of an element. But I don't remember reading that anywhere...

It's sort of confusing, because in a way the spirits are made out of their element. If a fire spirit engulfs you, you burn, if a water spirit englufs you, you drown, just like if you were engulfed by real fire or water. Yet, fire spirits aren't immune to fire and water spirits aren't immune to being blasted with a water jet... why? Because even though they share properties with their elements, they are not actually made of those elements. Spirits are made out of materialized spirit... stuff. What exactly that is is an unknown in SR. But we do know its properties - it's highly resistant to damage by anything non-magical.

If spirits were made out of their element and they had all the properties it had, then they'd have some kind of power, like "elemental body" which would confer immunity to just about everything on them. If fire spirits were really made of an element, then only attacks which extinguish flame could hurt them, things like bullets or grenades would be a joke. If water spirits were really water, the only thing you could do to hurt them would be use a heat attack that boils them away... and maybe that wouldn't even work, because water is still h20 when it's steam, they could just condense back together.

I agree with what you're saying so far as it means a cinematic explanation for why an attack fails to penetrate their immunity. If bullets bounce of the hardened armor of an air elemental, it's more cool to describe them as going through harmlessly than bouncing off. But if someone wants to say that spirits are immune to electricity because they're a living element and electricity won't damage a living element, that just doesn't fly.

Also, what about guardian or guidance spirits? They're definitely, positively not made of an element. Are they invulnerable to stik-n-shok too? Why?

The only RAW supported reason for spirits being immune to elecricity is that they're not grounded, and I can't fault the logic in saying that flying spirits, i.e. fire and air, can't be hurt by electrical attacks because they fly. But the RAW doesn't support the notion that all spirits float, it never says that... The spirits who walk, namely most of them, are vulnerable to electricity per the RAW, and that's it.

And I still haven't heard a good reason why we need to tear the RAW to shreds - is it somehow bad that runners can hurt spirits with stik-n-shok? Ought spirits to be the ultimate unstoppable killing machines that you throw at runners whenever you're bored and want to end the game? Nothing is a trump card in SR4, at least not by its pure nature. You can always use a force 10 spirit if you want your runners to pee themselves and flee. But what is the point of making even force 6, something that any good mage just out of chargen could summon, more or less unstoppable except by magic? Why, exactly, is it such a bad thing for mundanes to kill spirits using stik-n-shok ammo?

EDIT: If someone is arguing that immunity doesn't work against elemental attacks, that's wrong. They used to get less bonus from immunity to elemental attacks and explosions in SR3, but that's gone. In SR4, immunity still applies. It's just that electrical, fire, and acid attacks all go against half impact armor, so they effectively cut a spirit's immunity in half.

Hmmm. There are quite a few points in there. Firstly, we actually do know that the spirits are not literally made out of the stuff that they appear to be because Street Magic has a bit on it. They're formed of some very flexible spirit substance that can mimic different materials (which includes super-heated carbon particles in the case of fire elementals, it seems). So you actually have RAW backing up your position there, though you don't seem aware of it. It seems a bit dubious though that something can have the exact physical properties of fire, water, iron or whatever without ensuing invulnerabilities. But then we're mostly of the same position - RAW says Immunity to Normal Weapons does apply. All that remains to discuss is whether a GM should use "common sense" in adding some further immunity - e.g. no amount of fire will affect a fire elemental. RAW the GM should not. Flavour wise, I say yes, though.

That's as far as I'm going, btw. I know what RAW is and I'm consciously saying that (a) flavour requires going a little further in some cases and (b) given the Immunity to Normal Weapon Rules, that little further will barely show up most of the time, anyway. The piece that you quoted above was not suggestions of granting new immunity, it was an illustration of how you would portray the existing RAW immunity. After all, a Force 6 Earth Elemental and a Force 6 Sylph will both have the same protection against bullets, but describing bullets bouncing off them only works for one of the cases.

Going back to the question of electricity and why Guardian or Task spirits would be immune in the same way that an Earth elemental would be, Street Magic has an answer as the same section that talks about spirit composition states explicitly that even when a spirit adopts the form of a metahuman, it still lacks a nervous system and internal organs. Given that we know electricity stuns due to its effect on the nervous system, it seems reasonable to dispense with this for spirits and assume they are naturally immune in the same way that a blind person is immune to flash bombs. Why would the spirit be stunned? Does it just want to fit in. wink.gif

To address the final point about why it's bad that a spirit should be immune to stick and shock from a game balance point of view, well if they're not, the way stick and shock works (as Mr. Unpronouncable corrected me earlier), it becomes a bit of a spirit killer, by strict RAW. I don't want that in my game. The big Fire Elemental comes roaring at the players shrugging off automatic fire and armour piercing bullets. So the players break out the stick and shock gun and glue a few taser darts to it. Just doesn't work because I don't think there's supposed to be such a convenient way of dispatching them tucked away in the gear listings.

Of course, you may have a different take on it in your game. I think I've pretty much covered my view on this. smile.gif
ixombie
Well, if you wanna make house rules just cuz you wanna, nothing anyone says is probably going to change that...

But my point about stik-n-shok being too much of a spirit killer was that if you want your spirits to be the big roaring dangerous threat to the team, why not use a higher force? You don't need a house rule since you could accomplish what you want within the rules.
Garrowolf
I am trying to do the opposite and make it so that magic users don't have to summon high level spirits all the time.

I don't consider spirits to be grunts because summoners are rare. Magic users are uncommon. Most are limited casters in my games. Then some are adepts and mystic adepts. Summoners are rare, and ful magicians are the rarest. If you are dealing with a summoner you should be nervous. It should be more then dealing with someone who can call up reinforcements.

They are more common in the underground because registration and corporate manipulations drives most magic users there. They are not so common that they will be summoning spirits as patrol guards. If they are a part of a security force then they will call up watchers to do patrol work, not regular spirits.

Now I know that this isn't entirely by the book so don't blast me for that. I just think that the magic should be powerful but rare not a dime a doz.
knasser
QUOTE (ixombie @ Dec 7 2006, 01:50 AM)
Well, if you wanna make house rules just cuz you wanna, nothing anyone says is probably going to change that...

"Just cause I wanna" sounds a little pejorative. What I've said is that the fluff very clearly justifies a spirit being immune to the stunning effects of electrical damage. I've replied to the original question of whether or not spirits are immune with by strict RAW, no, but due to X and Y, you may want to make it so. I'm just trying to be helpful.

QUOTE (ixombie)
But my point about stik-n-shok being too much of a spirit killer was that if you want your spirits to be the big roaring dangerous threat to the team, why not use a higher force?

Again, I'm not saying that people need to make them immune but I'm pointing out the consequences of not doing so. Your solution of piling on bigger force actually makes the situation worse because a spirit's resistance to stick and shock scales more slowly than its resistance to other mundane attacks. I.e.: A force 3 spirit is fairly vulnerable to both stick and shock and regular ammo. A force 6 is significantly more vulnerable to it than to regular ammo and a force 9 would be shrugging off rocket launchers but be less than half as effective at resisting electric chewing gum.

You also have to consider that boosting a spirit just to counter a single weapon constrains a GM in their choice of power level.

People can do what they like in their games and I've never said otherwise. I'm illustrating consequences that may influence their decision.

EDIT: Cross-posted with Garrowwolf. Everything he said, puts it well.
X-Kalibur
I know that magic is supposed to be rare in the 6th World, but really, with the new ease of summoning up spirits, its not difficult for a mage to get a small army of decent level spirits bound to them in addition to simply being able to summon them on-the-fly, so to speak. Stick'n'Shock, as it stands, gives mundanes a totally viable way to deal with spirits, provided they know to stock up on it. If you're really that concerned about it bypassing and easily taking out higher force spirits, cut the damage on the weapon in half (after damage is calculated) in exhange for allowing it to even be able to hurt most spirits.
Garrowolf
Even if it would effect them they are almost never touching the ground and there is no reason to assume that they are conductive at all. We are "ugly bags of mostly water" with electrolytes leading to a vulnerable CNS. I can't even figure out if spirits can even take stun damage at all!

Part of the immunity to normal weapons seems to be because they are not totally substaintial. It is not that they are allowing things to bounce of. They aren't that solid. Magic or directed willpower can hit them (the directed will is a house rule for me) but I don't see why a stick and shock is going to even have a chance to work on them.

I don't mind comming up with a way of balencing spirit summoning. I was just thinking that it might make more sense if they could only summon low rating spirits in combat and the higher the rating the greater the effort and time required.

But making spirits so easy to take down with something as silly as stick and shock just breaks any kind of in game feel for me.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Even if it would effect them they are almost never touching the ground and there is no reason to assume that they are conductive at all. We are "ugly bags of mostly water" with electrolytes leading to a vulnerable CNS. I can't even figure out if spirits can even take stun damage at all!

It explicitly states that spirits have a stun track, ergo, they can take stun damage. QED.

(The dumb part about spirit damage tracks is that the physical damage track changes length whenever the spirit (de)materializes.

As for the bit about levitating = immune to electricity:

QUOTE (p.154)

Other factors may modify the target’s damage resistance test at the gamemaster’s
choosing, such as lack of grounding (a character flying by levitation spell)...

i.e. it's completely the GM's call (maybe you'll just get some extra dice.)
Shrike30
Tasers and stick'n'shock ammo don't work by grounding through your shoes, they work by completing a circuit through your body that starts and ends at the power source (namely, the *two* darts fired by the taser or the two prongs on the stick'n'shock slug. If grounding was actually a problem for shock weapons, criminals *today* would wear rubber-soled shoes just in case.
Garrowolf
even so it doesn't show why a spirit would take anything from it.

Mr un, could you tell me what page it talks about spirits and stun. That would actually help me out a lot.

Having a stun track doesn't necessarily mean that it will be effected by the electrical damage. I am curious what would cause them stun.
Big D
Stupid question... do possessed/inhabited spirits still have a stun track?

That is, you have a spirit inhabit a drone, which normally has no stun track--does SNS/gel now do damage to the spirit, potentially disrupting it and leaving the drone unoccupied?
Garrowolf
Can a spirit inhabit a drone? I thought that it would basically be a lump of metal to a spirit at best and they couldn't do anything with it. That is what sprites are for.
knasser

They could both inhabit and possess drones. Object resistance will be a bastard and preparing the vessel is wanted. But it's possible and with the right descriptions, can be hideously creepy.

| think it also grants the drone a stun track for the duration and it would certainly make the drone vulnerable to manabolts, et al.

Regarding electrical damage, though. There are already rules for how electricity attacks affect mechanicals like drones, just as there are rules for how electricity affects living targets. I would say that just because the drone now has an inhabiting spirit it doesn't suddenly switch to taking damage in the same manner as flesh and blood. It's still a bundle of plastic and electronics.

If anyone wants to have some fun with their players, try sticking a Force 4 Shadow Spirit in a Steel Lynx. Oh yes! biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
Screw drones. Start with a red Mack truck, weld hinges onto it in strategic places, and go for a hybrid merge. Ally spirit's name: Optimus Prime.
Kesslan
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Screw drones. Start with a red Mack truck, weld hinges onto it in strategic places, and go for a hybrid merge. Ally spirit's name: Optimus Prime.

But what happens when he runs out of fuel?
hyzmarca
Being a spirit, I'm pretty sure that it can animate itself without gasoline. However, it would be vulnerable to being cut off by sportscars.
Garrowolf
Okay what I am trying to say here is that there is a reason that acid, electricity and such halve impact armor and it has to do with the armor - not the attack. Most armors are designed to stop bullets and knives. If you add enough non conduc and chem protection then it doesn't halve it at all. You could make it BETTER at those things then at stopping bullets. In fact you can have a Armor 0/0 suit with 6 non conductive which is buildable today. You can do the same thing and build a HAZMAT suit. Metal armor provides NO impact protection versus electrical.

Stop thinking that half impact is some kind of basic rule like in one of those collectible cards games! It is a generalization. That is all. It was a way of writing the game so that they didn't have to add 6 or 8 resistance traits beyond Ballistic and Impact. And it has several ways for it not to be true. It is not some fact about elemental energies. Use some common sense!

Now my actual point was that the spirit immunity to normal weapons uses the same system as armor but they don't actually wear armor.

If the electrical damage came from a spell or weapon focus or critter power then I could see it doing more damage IF that spirit had a weakness to electrical damage. Since they have gotten rid of elemental weaknesses across the board and have given specific ones only to certain spirits then those would still work. They would cause the DV to increase based on their allergy level.

Tasers and such would not work on a spirit because they are not magical.

As others pointed out, if you use the elemental angle then you can say everything would defeat their armor because the whole concept behind elements is that they are what make up the world around us in magical terms. Shooting bullets is just an elemental metal attack.

knasser
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Being a spirit, I'm pretty sure that it can animate itself without gasoline. However, it would be vulnerable to being cut off by sportscars.

You know, for a Michael Bay movie, this is looking surprisingly good.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Mr un, could you tell me what page it talks about spirits and stun. That would actually help me out a lot.

Having a stun track doesn't necessarily mean that it will be effected by the electrical damage. I am curious what would cause them stun.

QUOTE (p.94 Street Magic)

If a spirit in astral or materialized form suffers Physical or Stun damage sufficient to fill its damage track, the spirit is disrupted.

The rules don't specify any types of stun damage that a spirit would not be affected by - the default position is, therefore, that any damage type which does stun, and is of sufficient power to bypass the spirit's immunity to normal weapons, will do stun damage to the spirit.

Arguing that a spirit should be immune to electrical damage would need some supporting evidence.

QUOTE (Garrowolf)

Stop thinking that half impact is some kind of basic rule like in one of those collectible cards games! It is a generalization. That is all. It was a way of writing the game so that they didn't have to add 6 or 8 resistance traits beyond Ballistic and Impact. And it has several ways for it not to be true. It is not some fact about elemental energies. Use some common sense!

On the contrary - it is a fact of elemental energies in the SR4 system. There are absolutely no exceptions listed in the books. Until such time as you provide a citation supporting your position, the default rules stand.

QUOTE (Garrowolf)

Tasers and such would not work on a spirit because they are not magical.

Then bullets wouldn't either...good luck running a mundane in that game.
Crusader
This might be a bit off topic so I apologize, but unfortunately armor boni for passengers from vehicle armor or barriers would also be halved using the RAW.

I cannot see how being in a car with bulletproof windows will NOT affect electricity based attacks, such as stick n shock considering faradays cage and all.

Mr. Unpronounceable
*shrug*

I'd probably use the "shooting through a barrier" rules instead (same for things like narcoject ammo). Problem solved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012