Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lasb - Latin America Sourcebook
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
JongWK
"May I have your attention please..."

If you're Latin American and you can commit yourself to a long-term project, mail me at jwkimgoyret@yahoo.com for more details.

Link to the old South America SB thread

"Thank you for your cooperation" cool.gif
JongWK
Doh! Forgot to say: post any doubt here, erven if you aren't from Latin America.

Need... coffee... sleepy.gif
RedKnightSpecial
Well, the pretty much covered my bit of South America in the Aztechnology book. Which country does "South America" start in? Panama?
Nath
QUOTE (RedKnightSpecial)
Well, the pretty much covered my bit of South America in the Aztechnology book. Which country does "South America" start in? Panama?

Panama no longer exists, annexed by Aztlan like everything down to the middle of Bolovia (where it bumped into Amazonian troops). So technically, Aztlan is both a North American and a South American country, making the use of 'Latin America' more exact. the more time pass, the more it's likely Aztlan had to be covered anew in such sourcebook. The Aztlan SB is getting old and unavailable.

I admit I'm really curious to see what people could find to explain how Aztechnology can effectively owns and operates Embraer, given the feelings of the Amazonian government has for them.
Synner
Actually Aztlan only goes as far as Colombia (mentioned in "Shadows of the Underworld" and latest info is in "DotSW") where a section of the country still remains "independent" as a buffer zone between Aztlan and Amazonia. Aparently the same goes for Venezuela only it's mostly in the hands of Amazonia.

Regardless RedKnightSpecial you should contact Jong just in case, afterall this is a fan project. You never know.
Nath
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 19 2003, 01:54 PM)
Actually Aztlan only goes as far as Colombia

ooops... I meant Bogota not Bolovia. Bolovia is not even a country... at best a mix between a country and an Italian sauce.
JongWK
QUOTE (Nath)
I admit I'm really curious to see what people could find to explain how Aztechnology can effectively owns and operates Embraer, given the feelings of the Amazonian government has for them.

Embraer-Dassault created an airplane (somewhere in Rigger 1, IIRC). Aztechnology owns Dassault (Corporate Download), not Embraer (AFAIK there are no other canon references to it).

But yes, we have our ideas nyahnyah.gif
booklord
South America?

Let's see......

I'm sure of

Aztlan ( Panama and a healthy chunk of Colombia )
Peru ( Where o where have the Japanese gone )
Chile
Amazonia
French Guianna ( corporate park surrounded by Amazonia )
Caracas ( city state that is all that's left of Venezuela )
Argentina

Possible

Equador ( survival likely, soone nearby who could have invaded it, buffered by Colombia and Peru from Amazonia and Aztlan, Is NOT land-locked )

Bolivia ( land-locked with Amazonia as a neighbor. Chances of survival? Not good. Could have merged with Argentina for protection, but I doubt it )

Paraguay (read Bolivia)

Uruguay ( slightly better boat then Bolivia and Paraguay. But that I never read anything about it suggests it merged with Argentina or got swallowed by Amazonia )
JongWK
Bolivia  ( land-locked with Amazonia as a neighbor.  Chances of survival?  Not good.  Could have merged with Argentina for protection, but I doubt it )

Bolivia is canon, thanks to the Underworld SB and YotC.

Paraguay (read Bolivia)

Uruguay ( slightly better boat then Bolivia and Paraguay.  But that I never read anything about it suggests it merged with Argentina or got swallowed by Amazonia )

This is the part where I suggest people they should read about the Paraguay Vs. The Triple Alliance War and the UK's interference in Uruguay as perfect explanations on why these two countries were never swallowed in Real Life.
Nath
QUOTE ("JongWK")
Embraer-Dassault created an airplane (somewhere in Rigger 1, IIRC). Aztechnology owns Dassault (Corporate Download), not Embraer (AFAIK there are no other canon references to it).

Rigger 3 says Embraer is a subsidiary of Aztechnology. Embraer-Dassault association has also been made on two military choppers in SOTA:2063.
Sepherim
What's so special about Embraer (don't own any Rigger book) that it looks like such a bitch to have to find a reason for it to be propperty of Aztech?
Artemus
EMBRAER is a major Aircraft supplier in Brazil, they have civilian and military models. I looked into the EMBRAER website and found this line "A leading group of European aerospace companies - Dassault Aviation, EADS, Snecma, and Thales - jointly owns another 20 percent", another 60% is owned by Brazilian interests, and the rest is publicly traded. So that's where they get the Dassault/EMBRAER connection. Now as to what happens to EMBRAER in the Shadowrun world I have no idea.
Hope that clarifies things a little.
Synner
The big issue is that those Brazilian interests include a fair chunk owned by the government. Now, who do you think owns those shares in 2060? And who is their worse enemy? Now how do you think the former feels about the latter owning a part of their corporation according to canon SR?
Nath
My biggest concern is more the fact that all of Embraer production facilities are in Brazil. Outside they only have commercial offices and technical suport services (and maybe the explanation is there, they kept the name and some stuff, but the company is only a shadow of what it was). The last entry about Amazonia in Dragons of the Sixth World (page 84-86) suggests corporations who don't play with the local rules are banned. If they don't ban Aztechnology, I don't really see how that threat could be taken seriously by any other megacorporations. I think there's enough at some point to justify an explanation.
JongWK
QUOTE (Nath)
QUOTE ("JongWK")

Rigger 3 says Embraer is a subsidiary of Aztechnology. Embraer-Dassault association has also been made on two military choppers in SOTA:2063.

Don't have Rigger 3 or SotA: 2063 (yet...), so I didn't know about that. Thanks!

Other than that, I think Synner has pretty much explained why is the Embraer/Dassault mess interesting.
Nath
Damn, I must be getting old... To complement what said above, my goo' old Corporate Download clearly says (page 48) that Amazonia deny access to Aztechnology for business.
Artemus
Well Synner, you are wrong about the Brazilian government owning a chunk of EMBRAER (Empresa Brasileira de Aeronáutica S.A.). EMBRAER along with a lot of state owned companies were privatized during the 90's. Here's what they say "Based in São José dos Campos, Brazil, Embraer was founded in 1969 as a government initiative and then privatized in 1994. The company currently employs over 11,000 people and is publicly traded on the New York and São Paulo Stock Exchanges. Brazilian interests - investment conglomerate Cia. Bozano and pension funds PREVI and SISTEL - control 60% of the voting shares."
So EMBRAER is a public company, which to me means that EMBRAER is open game to be gobbled up by any other corporation.
Synner
Sorry to break it to you Artemus, but you are wrong. The company was privatized in the mid-90's but a chunk of about 20% non-traded shares remain in the Brazilian government's hands. This is not unusual in South America or in Europe for that matter. Please note that at no point did I say they were the majority shareholder or owner of the company. Nobody said Aztechnology couldn't have bought it up. We're saying is that it creates a nice little complication on the board of Embraer.

As NMAth has pointed out EMBRAER keeps its production facilities in Brazi, this is in no small part thanks to the benefits in tax cuts and other financial incentives that were part of the privatization deal.

The government at the time tried to retain enough of a position in the company to affect any decision that might entail cutbacks, layoffs or closing of facilities in Brazil which the company might make after privatization and go off in search of greener pastures.
Sepherim
eek.gif eek.gif I see where is the problem!!!! Aren't these situations lovely? love.gif
JongWK
Yup. And it's not even the most "lovely"... devil.gif
Slawter
Still needing some help?

I live at Brazil and might help with Amazonia stuff, even though i don't understand too much about SR 3(I.E. No sourcebooks, but some knowledge)
JongWK
Mail me if you're interested.

Since quite a few people have been asking around the last few days, I'll save myself (and them) some time and post here part of the information I ask for when making first contact:

Full Name?
Age?
Nationality?
Residence?
Time playing RPGs? Which ones?
Time playing Shadowrun?
SR books & novels you own/read? (this helps us know your canon knowledge so that we can help you)
Are you able to commit yourself to a long-term project?
Which country are you interested in writing for?
Any persoanl experience with that country and/or Latin America?
Where did you hear about us?
Johnny the Bull
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 26 2003, 05:40 PM)
The big issue is that those Brazilian interests include a fair chunk owned by the government. Now, who do you think owns those shares in 2060? And who is their worse enemy? Now how do you think the former feels about the latter owning a part of their corporation according to canon SR?

Simple. ORO buys 65% Embraer in 2006-2009 or some such time in a shady hostile takeover. ORO relocates the company to Aztlan. Later, during the nationalisation of industry, Aztechnology declared an enforced buyout of the company, a landmark decision, since in most places and enforced buyout can only occur when an entity own ~95% of a company. To add insult to injury, Aztland paid a nominal amount of money to Amazonian government, citing a marked devaluation of the companies share portfolio - Aztechnology had stripped the parent company Embraer of all its assets and distributes them across its corporate portfolio. Aztlan government makes such arrangements legal. As most of the assets had been relocated to Aztlan, there was nothing that Amazonia could do short of an invasion as it had no physical access to the company assets. When the omega order was handed down by the Corporate Court, Amazonia joined in and wreaked destruction on many high-capital targets.

Or something like that. Don't have the books with me to see if it'll fit into canon.
Sepherim
QUOTE (Johnny the Bull)
Simple. ORO buys 65% Embraer in 2006-2009 or some such time in a shady hostile takeover. ORO relocates the company to Aztlan. Later, during the nationalisation of industry, Aztechnology declared an enforced buyout of the company, a landmark decision, since in most places and enforced buyout can only occur when an entity own ~95% of a company. To add insult to injury, Aztland paid a nominal amount of money to Amazonian government, citing a marked devaluation of the companies share portfolio - Aztechnology had stripped the parent company Embraer of all its assets and distributes them across its corporate portfolio. Aztlan government makes such arrangements legal. As most of the assets had been relocated to Aztlan, there was nothing that Amazonia could do short of an invasion as it had no physical access to the company assets. When the omega order was handed down by the Corporate Court, Amazonia joined in and wreaked destruction on many high-capital targets.

Or something like that. Don't have the books with me to see if it'll fit into canon.

Just wanted to note that, IIRC, the Omega Order has never really been used, it's just as an advise of what could happen if someone touched what shouldn't be touched: the bottom line.

As for Jong, you start to look like an inquisitor with so many questions!! biggrin.gif Everything's going fine with the project?
Nath
QUOTE (Johnny the Bull @ Sep 2 2003, 07:52 AM)
Simple.

Moving assets out of the country is also the only reasonable explanation I found, which is not so reasonable when you consider the cost. Aeronautic industry requires a bit skilled labor, heavy equipment and large facilities (two sites >200,000m² for Embraer). Then it probably happens before Aztechnology acquires Dassault and Hawker-Siddeley (that one has another story...) or that would be a near-complete waste of money just for a brand name.

I was curious about that state ownership thing so I dig a few info on Embraer shareholders (easy, they give it on their website). According to them, the Brazilian government only owns 0.8 of the common stock, but by-laws, they also got a "golden share" which allow them to veto any decision regarding Embraer military stuff and any transfer of share control (as well as changing the company's name or logo). Of course, they can also veto the modification of the article that grant them the veto.

Then only the common stock gives vote. The current chart gives 0.8% for the Brazilian government, 20% to Cia Bozano (a Brazilian financial group), 20% to PREVI and 20% to SISTEL (two Brazilian pension funds), 20% to a group of French aerospace companies (Dassault, EADS, Thales and SNECMA) and 19.2% floating on Sao Paulo Stock Exchange. You can buy much more preffered stock on Sao Paulo and New York stock exchanges but that won't give you any vote right.

I'm no expert but I'd say a hostile takeover is impossible in that situation. It can even become a shareholder without the government agreement. The same for some Embraer-Dassault military aircrafts that could fall under the golden share veto. So obviously the situation changed in some way at some point before 2034.
Johnny the Bull
QUOTE (Nath)
QUOTE (Johnny the Bull @ Sep 2 2003, 07:52 AM)
Simple.

Moving assets out of the country is also the only reasonable explanation I found, which is not so reasonable when you consider the cost. Aeronautic industry requires a bit skilled labor, heavy equipment and large facilities (two sites >200,000m² for Embraer). Then it probably happens before Aztechnology acquires Dassault and Hawker-Siddeley (that one has another story...) or that would be a near-complete waste of money just for a brand name.

I was curious about that state ownership thing so I dig a few info on Embraer shareholders (easy, they give it on their website). According to them, the Brazilian government only owns 0.8 of the common stock, but by-laws, they also got a "golden share" which allow them to veto any decision regarding Embraer military stuff and any transfer of share control (as well as changing the company's name or logo). Of course, they can also veto the modification of the article that grant them the veto.

Then only the common stock gives vote. The current chart gives 0.8% for the Brazilian government, 20% to Cia Bozano (a Brazilian financial group), 20% to PREVI and 20% to SISTEL (two Brazilian pension funds), 20% to a group of French aerospace companies (Dassault, EADS, Thales and SNECMA) and 19.2% floating on Sao Paulo Stock Exchange. You can buy much more preffered stock on Sao Paulo and New York stock exchanges but that won't give you any vote right.

I'm no expert but I'd say a hostile takeover is impossible in that situation. It can even become a shareholder without the government agreement. The same for some Embraer-Dassault military aircrafts that could fall under the golden share veto. So obviously the situation changed in some way at some point before 2034.

That fits right into cyberpunk themes. Rampant deregulation of industry and privatisation. I don't have my books with me (leant them to Catseyes months ago), but pre-awakening I can see the Brazilian economy entering a serious decline. ORO makes a lucrative proposal. They'll buy 41% of Embraer at 3x market value, the government stock at 10x market value. The only condition being that ORO gets the golden vote. Needing the cash and getting a good deal (and no doubt helped along by bribes) sells the company. ORO promptly moves the compnay wholesale to Mexico and invests in brand new aeronautical facilities, selling the older facilities in Brazil to A or lower companies. When Aztlan is formed, it nationalises Embraer. Aztechnology become 100% shareholders, paying nominal amounts to other shareholders in an enforced buyout, using the golden vote as leverage. The nationalisation of all industries prompts attacks from Ares, Fuchi et. al, but also Amazonia, who are still pissed at ORO/Aztechnology pulling a fast one.
Nath
Something around these lines. Practically the golden share would rather just be cancelled than transmitted. The part concerning military activities does not make sense in the hands of a corporation. Aztechnology should get away with Embraer becoming a normally run company (which is enough for the plan). Anyway when "moving" Embraer to Aztlan (which is a bit more esoteric for a company that when an individual change his nationality) I think you can rewrite pretty much what you want of the original Brazilian by-laws. No need of the Golden Share either for the nationalization. They could also grant votes to preffered stock, which could in a single stroke strengthen control for good if Aztechnology did the right maths in its acquisitions.

Considering the cost (bribes, 1.2 time the full value of Embraer common stock and then brand new facilities), I think Aztechnology would run the company for some time before selling the Brazilian facilities. Else, given the Brazil economic situation, they would have to sell them for cheap, which would mean the major cash was engaged just for a brand name recognition and some plans (nothing bribes, runners and advertising can't bring).

Now I think about it, if the Brazilian government is so corrupt, Aztechnology has no real reason to move the company out (since they can't guess at some point an awakened coalition will ban them from doing business in the country). If they can make the gov drop the Golden Share, they can probably negotiate tax reliefs. Even the Aztlan pride to build shiny aircrafts wouldn't work (they wouldn't do it under Embraer brand name if it was for that).

So I would have Embraer getting foreign facilities (in Mexico/Aztlan as well as other South American countries) before Aztechnology takeover. And the debt contracted for that would weaken them and cause the buyout. Then Dassault, and not Aztechnology, acquires Embraer with money and corruption. As time pass, Embraer becomes not much more than a branch of Dassault (hence the facts that Embraer is not listed as a major subsidiary of Aztechnology in Corporate Download and that there are Embraer-Dassault and Dassault products but no Embraer-only products in the gear lists). In 2034, as said in DotSW the new Amazonian government negotiates with the Corporate Court the status of corporate assets in the country. They're not dealing with the Big Bad A They Hate but just with Bad French, so things stay civil. And some times after, Aztechnology buys in the same package Dassault and Embraer. The remaining Brazilian branch is closed and remains the example that the Amazonians are not kidding. But most of the non-Brazilian assets, as well as the brand name and the patents of the so-called "Embraer group" were then in fact owned by Embraer-Dassault, a French-based subsidiary of Dassault, which is now a subsidiary of Aztechnology.
JongWK
Update:

1) The LASB team now includes writers for 8 countries.

2) Since I've received some DSF private messages, I ask those who are interested to please mail me directly at jwkimgoyret AT yahoo.com

3) *Bump!* wavey.gif
JongWK
*Bump!*
Sepherim
Bump?
FlakJacket
Bump in the night! biggrin.gif
JongWK
Bump-ing the thread up. Got it? wink.gif
Ancient History
Want we should post the Aztlan Conference? Might elicit interest.
JongWK
@ AH:

Well, although it is interesting devil.gif we can't publicly post project-related information if we want it to be published, remember?

So, I'm sorry but no (nice teaser anyway wink.gif)
Ancient History
Good point. I must be sitting on my brains.
JongWK
Nah, you are like a kid in a candy store. Or a ghoul in a morgue... wink.gif
Abrojus
too much inexperience in bumping smile.gif

You have to bring up something to discuss and i have an idea.

Nothing can be said about what it is being discussed but can we discuss the ideas that were dismissed or rejected?

99% sure we still cant but it can be discussed nyahnyah.gif
JongWK
You mean like the one we originally came up for Uruguay :P
Abrojus
Yeah, the one we ditched for the sole reason that it was too far fetched and it was improbable that they would go for it. The very same one smile.gif

now imagine we commented it here and Rob or someone replied:

"real cool idea, we would have gone for that. pity that we can't now that you went public"

nyahnyah.gif
Sepherim
This discussion has a name: "Starting paranoia"

We can talk about this, but what if it would have been accepted?, but we have put it aside so, but then again,... grinbig.gif
Abrojus
hmmmm.. sounds like a nice and stylish way of bumping nyahnyah.gif
JongWK
1) Are there any canon references to the Island of Galapagos?

2) Ba-dah-bump! spin.gif
JongWK
@ AH, Artemus: Conference. Next week. Date/time?

@ AH: FG?
JongWK
1) @ Abrojus: There's another Az conference on Sunday, see if you can be there.

2) As usual, if somebody wants to join the LASB, contact me.
Abrojus
Damn trillian still has serious issues when using conferences. Even the pro 2.0 version has this problems.

Btw, i wont be available for some time. Got some projects to finish but ill do my best to comply the 1st december deadline (50% way done).
Artemus
Hey AH mind dropping me and Pavel an e-mail about Easter Island? Need to discuss those new ideas.
Ancient History
Sure thing...er, e-mail me what ye'd like to discuss. I forgot your e-mail. <blushes in embarassment>
JongWK
Yes, shame on you! nyahnyah.gif

Which reminds me: As I've posted before, we're open to new members (as usual), but right now we're very interested in people willing to take on Bolivia, Paraguay or Venezuela. Those who are, please mail me at jwkimgoyret AT yahoo DOT com or post here.
moosegod
I'd be interested in doing Paraguay or Bolivia, but I don't really have any offical qualifications.
JongWK
Moosegod, check your PMs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012