Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concealment vs guns
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Charon
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jan 2 2007, 05:12 PM)
Out-of-combat only? Nope - GM's discretion...bolding mine.

QUOTE (SR4 p. 55)

Buying Hits
If the gamemaster allows it, a character may trade in 4
dice from her dice pool in exchange for an automatic hit.
Gamemasters should only allow this when the character has an
exceptionally large dice pool (and is unlikely to fail)
or when the
situation is non-threatening and non-stressful. If the character
might suffer bad consequences from failing the test, then the
gamemaster should require her to roll the test rather than buying
hits. Buying hits is an all-or-nothing aff air; you cannot spend
part of your pool to buy hits and then make a test with the rest.

i.e. if you want it to be a non-issue for your players then it is just that.

Since you want it to be a non-issue, why complain when such is proposed?

Only badly designed min-maxed characters (Low intuition, no perception, no sensory enhancers, relying on the GM to spot valid targets for him) would suffer from my proposed ruling.

What do you think is meant by excpetionnally large? 7 or 8?

And don't forget that the +3 comes from taking a simple action. If you are going to routinely take a simple action before firing, you are not going to get much done.

Finally, remember that this whole debate started out of the concealment power. Which means losing some of those dice before even accounting for other modifiers like lighthing.

Since it's so easy to conjure up a force 5 spirit that would conceal a whole group, what is at stake is the likelyhood of seeing a typical SR fight being overrun with perception test, a lot of them being missed even when the shooter is at close range in plain sight.

Toturi :

You are taking the letter of the rules to far. You have exploded a simple mention about hectic situation into requiring perception test in situations few GM have ever asked them for.

Perception test before the guy attack you, yes. After, only if it's reasonable that you don't see him which is almost never the case in a typical close range combat.

In military exercice and paintball friendly match it is my experience that not only is close range encounters alsmot impossible to miss, it is often the only thing you see, with all your senses focused on the attackers. Often to disastrous result when a flanking maneuver is under way. And it's obviously for these kind of obvious things that you need to test when in hectic situation. Not for the hectic situation itself!

Asking a guy getting shot at 10 meter range where his shooter is would be like asking a race car driver if he sees the curve ahead. Yes he does, and it just might be the only things he sees if he's not careful.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Charon)
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jan 2 2007, 05:12 PM)
Out-of-combat only? Nope - GM's discretion...bolding mine.

QUOTE (SR4 p. 55)

Buying Hits
If the gamemaster allows it, a character may trade in 4
dice from her dice pool in exchange for an automatic hit.
Gamemasters should only allow this when the character has an
exceptionally large dice pool (and is unlikely to fail)
or when the
situation is non-threatening and non-stressful. If the character
might suffer bad consequences from failing the test, then the
gamemaster should require her to roll the test rather than buying
hits. Buying hits is an all-or-nothing aff air; you cannot spend
part of your pool to buy hits and then make a test with the rest.

i.e. if you want it to be a non-issue for your players then it is just that.

Since you want it to be a non-issue, why complain when such is proposed?

Only badly designed min-maxed characters (Low intuition, no perception, no sensory enhancers, relying on the GM to spot valid targets for him) would suffer from my proposed ruling.

What do you think is meant by excpetionnally large? 7 or 8?

And don't forget that the +3 comes from taking a simple action. If you are going to routinely take a simple action before firing, you are not going to get much done.

Finally, remember that this whole debate started out of the concealment power. Which means losing some of those dice before even accounting for other modifiers like lighthing.

Since it's so easy to conjure up a force 5 spirit that would conceal a whole group, what is at stake is the likelyhood of seeing a typical SR fight being overrun with perception test, a lot of them being missed even when the shooter is at close range in plain sight.

Toturi :

You are taking the letter of the rules to far. You have exploded a simple mention about hectic situation into requiring perception test in situations few GM have ever asked them for.

Perception test before the guy attack you, yes. After, only if it's reasonable that you don't see him which is almost never the case in a typical close range combat.

In military exercice and paintball friendly match it is my experience that not only is close range encounters alsmot impossible to miss, it is often the only thing you see, with all your senses focused on the attackers. Often to disastrous result when a flanking maneuver is under way. And it's obviously for these kind of obvious things that you need to test when in hectic situation. Not for the hectic situation itself!

Asking a guy getting shot at 10 meter range where his shooter is would be like asking a race car driver if he sees the curve ahead. Yes he does, and it just might be the only things he sees if he's not careful.

Which is more or less what I've been getting at too. And I've run into the same thing Charon mentions here in indoor tagball a few times myself. Where I was so buisy shooting at oen group of guys that one of their team mates managed to sneak up on me.

I mean geeze, Tortui. You take these rules so damn litterally it's not funny. And I mean it also says somewhere to take the rules with some degree of common sense. So if a guy gives you the finger and you notice him, and then promptly pulls out a gun and starts shooting at you. Common sense tends to dictate that your damn well going to notice that too unless the guy is actively trying to conceal said action from you since your looking right at him. You may not initially notice he's grabbing a gun but you can hardly fail to notice thats exactly what he's done when he pulls it out.

I mean even very young children know what a gun looks like (Even if they dont perhaps understand the difference at the time between a toy and the real thing).

If he gave you the finger and then something else distracted you while he went for his gun I'd totally agree on a perception test. But so long as that distraction isnt present there's no reason that I can see, even by the rules that would call for a perception test.

Part of it also of course seems to stem from what people assume an 'obserev in detail' means. I mean to me that seems to imply intent focus uppon percieving something. Like.. trying to read some one's name badge from a distance.

Not something required to notice something far more general like some one going for a gun or firing it at you when their only a few meters away in plain view.

I suppose in trying to clairfy my own idea of an observe in detail in such a situation I'd point to the real world cases where police have shot people who didnt have real weapons. A case where they saw some one going for, or holding what they thought was a real gun. A simple basic easily made observation, that in some cases, had an 'observe in detail' action been taken first, they'd have noted, or had a better chance at least of noting that the gun was infact fake because of X not immediately notable differences, but ones that stand out rather readily the moment you actually -look- at the specific item in question.

Situations like that I'd certainly enforce perception tests as far as noticing that it's a fake gun instead of a real one. Since that perception will ultimately dictate the PC's reaction to the point where they might shoot dead an innocent person thinking they were acting in self defence.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Charon)

What do you think is meant by excpetionnally large?  7 or 8?

Nope - I define exceptionally large = more than enough dice to guarantee more successes than you need. Since you'd only need 1 success, having 8+ dice is exceptionally large.

QUOTE (Charon)

And don't forget that the +3 comes from taking a simple action.  If you are going to routinely take a simple action before firing, you are not going to get much done.

Routinely? What part of "unusual circumstance"
QUOTE ( me)

What's the complaint again? That an unusual circumstance (a spirit using concealment after a gunfight has started) calls for a simple action to counter? Why is this so horribly bad?

is so bloody difficult?

I would recommend taking one observe in detail action fairly early in the firefight though - knowing friend from foe from civillian is kinda important, unless the GM makes a habit of only having one enemy at a time...and no witnesses.

QUOTE (Charon)

Frankly, in every SR4 game I've played so far, it's been pretty damn rare to see a spirit higher than force 4. Even with a force 5 spirit (intuition+perception+8-5) should be more than enough to roll one success.

And if you don't? Time to regroup and re-assess the situation.

Fortune
QUOTE (Kesslan)
If he gave you the finger and then something else distracted you while he went for his gun I'd totally agree on a perception test.

Something along the lines of a Spirit using its Concealment Power, perhaps?
Charon
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jan 3 2007, 01:18 PM)
Nope - I define exceptionally large = more than enough dice to guarantee more successes than you need.  Since you'd only need 1 success, having 8+ dice is exceptionally large.

Not any definition of the world "exceptionnally" you'll ever encounter.

As for the "Unusual cirumstances" : If you kept up with the argument you'd see that Toturi's arguments require perception test almost every time you will shoot unless everyone has been stationary. That's routine. That's most of the arguments flying on both side and your intervention didn't suddenly change every parameter.

Secondly, the mage in my campaign has a spirit in almost every fight. And so does the opposing mage. Why the hell not? The other character bring their toys.

It's not unusual by any definition of the word.

Frankly, in every SR4 game I've played so far, it's been pretty damn rare to see a spirit higher than force 4. Even with a force 5 spirit

Why? People don't like winning fights in your experience? Is it fairly rare for samurai to use autofire too and the largest caliber that the situation will allow for?

For a magic rating 5 Mage with decent drain dice, it's a no brainer to call on force 5 spirits regularly. Binding is another story but just summoning, go for it.

I'm not talking a 500 BP campaign. Standard 400 BP mage conjure up level 5 spirit with ease. When they want to push it in a tough spot they go higher.

(intuition+perception+8-5) should be more than enough to roll one success.

You'll fail often enough at something that should be routine. Don't forget a common -2 visibility modifier. And -2 if distracted.

And if you have to make perception test as often as suggested by Toturi it's a given you'll waste a lot of actions.

Which IMO leads to a useful power becoming far more powerful than was intended.

Nice thing to do if you can. Are your opponents letting you breathing room? Or they are pushing their advantage until you are all dead?

I don't play nice. If PC can't find a way to see the assailant very fast, it's a rout and a massacre. Just as the PC don't play nice with the opposition.

Which is why I'd rather such a situation doesn't occur whenever a mage decide to over cast and get a 6-8 force spirit. Let's be a little more creative, shall we?

---

The bottom line is :
  • I don't believe the concealment power should force a perception test in situation where none would have been required without it.
  • I don't believe you should need a perception test to spot the people causing the 'hectic situation' that would otherwise force perception test for obvious things. In other words, if you are being shot at you many need a perception test to spot the guy flanking even though he is not being discrete, but the guy firing at you at close range, never.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Charon)

Unusualy cirumstances :  If you kept up with the argument you'd see that Toturi's arguments require perception test almost every time you will shoot unless everyone has been stationary.  That's routine.  Your intervention didn't suddenly change every parameter.

If you hadn't noticed, I'm not Torturi - I'm not arguing for his position, don't use his arguments against me.

QUOTE (Charon)

Secondly, the mage in my campaign has a spirit in virtually every fight.  And so does the opposing mage.  Why the hell not?  The other character bring their toys.

It's not unusual by any definition of the word.

Starting a firefight from concealment isn't unusual in any game...starting up concealment during the firefight can be. Do you ever call for a perception test to locate a shooter? Such as someone using a chameleon suit or a camoflaged sniper from 100 meters? If so, then ignoring the concealment power simply shows your biases.

QUOTE (Charon)

QUOTE ( Mr. Unpronounceable)
Frankly, in every SR4 game I've played so far, it's been pretty damn rare to see a spirit higher than force 4. Even with a force 5 spirit

Why? People don't like winning fights in your experience? Is it fairly rare for samurai to use autofire too and the largest caliber that the situation will allow for?

No - people in my games don't like chancing 8-10 drain right before a fight and ending up with no spirit - not after the first three times it happened anyway. If things turn bad however, I've seen people summon spirits (or at least, attempt to) up to twice their magic rating. This will probably change a bit as mages gain power and increase their magic rating from 5.

QUOTE (Charon)

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)

Nice thing to do if you can. Are your opponents letting you breathing room? Or they are pushing their advantage until you are all dead?

If you can't back off (using covering fire, etc.) - then your team's tactics are horrible. NOT my problem.

QUOTE (Charon)

The bottom line is :

• I don't believe the concealment power should force a perception test in situation where none would have been required without it.
  • I don't believe you should need a perception test to spot the people causing the 'hectic situation' that would otherwise force perception test for obvious things.  In other words, if you are being shot at you many need a perception test to spot the guy flanking even though he is not being discrete, but the guy firing at you at close range, never.

Then you also don't use much of the rulebook - it specifies that you will sometimes need an observe in detail check to tell friend from foe:
QUOTE ( p. 137 SR4)

For example, a character might automatically be aware that someone is running toward him with a gun in hand; however, the gamemaster may decide that the character cannot tell if it is a friend or foe without taking an Observe in Detail action.

The "people causing" the hectic situation could just as easily be a character who is invisible and silenced or disguised or masked as one of your teamates - but in your game, no check is needed to find them.
Free counterspelling for everybody!
Charon
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jan 3 2007, 03:22 PM)
Starting a firefight from concealment isn't unusual in any game...starting up concealment during the firefight can be. Do you ever call for a perception test to locate a shooter? Such as someone using a chameleon suit or a camoflaged sniper from 100 meters?

Yes.

Because the shooter isn't immediately noticeable. We've been arguing close range firefight since this began.

No - people in my games don't like chancing 8-10 drain right before a fight and ending up with no spirit - not after the first three times it happened anyway. If things turn bad however, I've seen people summon spirits (or at least, attempt to) up to twice their magic rating. This will probably change a bit as mages gain power and increase their magic rating from 5.

The odds of getting 8+ drain on a level 5 are 4,53%. That's why the designer invented edge and stim patch. Plus if you call the spirit before hitting the field, you can usually afford one or two hour to recuperate while the rest of the team does legwork.

Considering the benefits, any poker player will take those odds anyday.

If you can't back off (using covering fire, etc.) - then your team's tactics are horrible. NOT my problem.

Kinda hard if your ruling has effectively made the opposition invisible. You don't know where to direct supressive fire and don't even know which direction it's safe to retreat to.

The "people causing" the hectic situation could just as easily be a character who is invisible and silenced or disguised or masked as one of your teamates - but in your game, no check is needed to find them.
Free counterspelling for everybody!

Don't be of bad faith.

Invisibility has a very distinct resistance test and was early the argument why concealment shouldn't be effectively more powerful than invisbility for less drain and a wider use (A whole team can be covered).
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Charon)
Because the shooter isn't immediately noticeable. We've been arguing close range firefight since this began.

Alright...what if he's in a crowd? No chance of misidentification?

QUOTE (Charon)

The odds of getting 8+ drain on a level 5 are 4,53%. That's why the designer invented edge and stim patch. Plus if you call the spirit before hitting the field, you can usually afford one or two hour to recuperate while the rest of the team does legwork.

Stim patches don't heal stun damage - in fact, they prevent you from recovering. And you were forgetting that approximately 50% of the time you end up with no spirit.

QUOTE (Charon)
Kinda hard if your ruling has effectively made the opposition invisible. You don't know where to direct supressive fire and don't even know which direction it's safe to retreat to.

Don't shift the goalposts - we're talking about concealment, not teleportation - you do know (within a few meters) where the guy is. More than precise enough for suppressive fire.

QUOTE (Charon)
Invisibility has a very distinct resistance test and was early the argument why concealment shouldn't be effectively more powerful than invisbility for less drain and a wider use (A whole team can be covered).

Concealment is more powerful than invisibility - it covers more senses, and meets or exceeds the benefits of invisibilty in every single way.

Maybe we just have too different understandings of how concealment works - I've always used it as an SEP (sombody-else's-problem) thing more than anything else.
Charon
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jan 3 2007, 04:28 PM)

If he's using a silencer in a loud club, certainly. Everyone is gonna stand around confused and he'll be hard to spot. That's still not the case we've been arguing.

In a typical situation, though, everyone but the shooter is gonna start running away screaming and he'll be pretty darn hard to miss unless this what a hit and run.

Stim patches don't heal stun damage - in fact, they prevent you from recovering. And you were forgetting that approximately 50% of the time you end up with no spirit.

In a pinch that's still great if you had to conjure the spirit on the fly because you won't be healing during the fight anyway. So once you on the field and have no reason to believe you have one hour of non threatening situation ahead of you, stim away as soon you get in a tight spot.

Don't shift the goalposts - we're talking about concealment, not teleportation - you do know (within a few meters) where the guy is. More than precise enough for suppressive fire.

The guy? There's likely as many as 5+ since concealment work on as many people as the force of the spirit for a single service. No sense in wasting those.

And you still need to aim in the correct direction. If you are going to argue you know within 10 meter where the guy shooting at you from close range, I don't see how you can deny that you know exactly where he is in most situation.

Concealment is more powerful than invisibility - it covers more senses, and meets or exceeds the benefits of invisibilty in every single way.

It's not supposed to be more powerful for less cost in every single way! I don't believe it was the intent anyway. And it's not more powerful in every way unless you insist on taking the power too far and using to conceal things that reasonably can't be. Invisibility is what I require if you want to stand in the open and fire at people unnoticed.

And why is it SEP? It constantly affect either the NPCs or the PCs. Or it could if you let it, anyway.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Charon)
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jan 3 2007, 04:28 PM)

If he's using a silencer in a loud club, certainly. Everyone is gonna stand around confused and he'll be hard to spot. That's still not the case we've been arguing.

But, by the canon, that's the closest comparison to the concealment power I can think of.

It should be as hard to percieve 1 guy in the open with a spirit providing concealment as 1 guy in a crowd with a silenced pistol.

And you still need to aim in the correct direction. If you are going to argue you know within 10 meter where the guy shooting at you from close range, I don't see how you can deny that you know exactly where he is in most situation.

AARGH!

Yes, you know more-or-less where he is - the observe in detail removes the damn blindfire/wrong target penalty that the GM should impose otherwise.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Kesslan @ Jan 3 2007, 04:37 PM)
If he gave you the finger and then something else distracted you while he went for his gun I'd totally agree on a perception test.

Something along the lines of a Spirit using its Concealment Power, perhaps?

In such a situation perhaps. It would arguably help conceal the fact that he's pulling a gun out. But what if, going back to the orrigional argument, he's allready shooting at you and THEN the concealment power was used?

This of course is definately one of the areas FanPro should have covered more in detail. Exactly when the concealment power actually has an affect and when it doesnt.

I mean using it in such a context is wildly imbalancing in some ways. Get a decent force spirit to use concealment on your party. (Or as the GM on some NPCs) and if the other side doesnt have the same ability your totally hosed.

And of course as a result ruthinium needs a looking at too. Arguably the end effect is somewhat similar as both the power and the ruth suit provide 'concealment' vs perception tests. And if one uses this idea of having to take an observe in detail action every damn time you want to fire your going to have a firefight that drags on for bloody ever that normally would relatively take no time at all to resolve. Since, in the essence of providing a proper challeng the GM would -have- to start providing the NPCs with the exact same or similar concealment abilities the PCs are suddenly using.

Or if it's the GM using it on the PCs it can turn what would normally be a fight where the PCs have a slight upper hand to one that's wildly against them.

I tend to agree with Charon that this doesnt seem right for the actual intent of the ability. Mostly because it's so insanely unbalanced. And it only gets worse when it's a really high force spirit since the penalty is based on that same force raiting. So if it's a force 12 spirit, suddenly thats -12 perception dice before taking into account any other penalties.
ornot
I always felt that the conceal power should be in some way linked with the kind of elemental being used, but that's neither here nor there.

I don't think anyone is arguing that conceal shouldn't have it's full effect if invoked before combat, much as wearing camo gear will make you harder to spot. However, it seems foolish to suggest that donning camo in the middle of a fight should make people lose sight of you without some kind of infiltration test, if they already have a good idea whereabouts you are.

I would rule that once you have been spotted your enemies know where to shoot unless you make a successful infiltration roll and force another perception check. Otherwise you're going to bog down combat with a bunch of annoying perception checks.
Mr. Unpronounceable
Right, 'cause bogging it down with numerous opposed checks is soo much faster.

And once again, I'm not saying you need to take an observe in detail action every time you want to fire - just ONCE after special circumstances...(concealment, infiltration, ruthineum activation, whatever)

Though I am recommending that people should take ONE oberve in detail action early in the fight because otherwise the GM should feel free to take advantage of your lack of situational awareness.
ornot
The advantage of making them opposed infiltrate/perception checks is that both sides will lose an action hiding or trying to spot the hidden individual, and also it would only be worthwhile trying to hide once in a while, which makes it self-limiting.

Your suggestion that observe in detail actions should only take place once after circumstances such as concealment being cast or ruthenium activation is perfectly sound, I would just rule that anyone that has already been spotted and wants to take advantage of ruthenium or concealment should need to make an infiltration check.

As for observe in detail checks early on in combat, that would only really be worthwhile if it was likely to be a long drawn out combat or was in a very complicated situation (eg. a nightclub full of stampeding patrons, or over a great range).
Mr. Unpronounceable
Actually, since the infiltration check would almost certainly result in more than one success - it makes the concealment effect that much more powerful.

I think the tactic is occassionaly useful, should be annoying when used, and ultimately not all that powerful. Calling for one success on a single simple action accomplishes that.
Butterblume
You could always increase the threshold for the infiltration test, especially on an empty parking lot in the midday sun.

I can see it working much better in a parking garage setup, like in the beginning of the Higlander movie. Well, actually there it could work even without a spirit's concealment or a chamelion suit... especially if someone is bad at perception.

(The char I'm playing right now has 11 dice for visual and audio perception, but I've seen chars who have like three or four dice...)
Mr. Unpronounceable
One of the chars in my group started with zero dice. Intuition 1, defaulting...yeesh. You should have heard him complain when the GM demonstrated the inherent weakness there.
ornot
I see what you mean, but the infiltration test would suffer normal dice pool penalties depending on the situation, so might not result in any successes, depending on how ninja the character was.

My personal feeling is that by not requiring an action from a character that has just had conceal cast on him, you're excessively penalising the defender; as he is practically forced to waste a simple action observing in detail to offset the penalty from the conceal power, while his attacker is able to continue shooting him.

However, referring to the situation mentioned by the OP, I think we are agreed that the concealment modifiers inflicted by the spirit's power apply only until they are penetrated and the target is spotted; and in any case would only inflict a -6 blind fire modifier until such time as the target was spotted. My personal preference for a test of some sort by the target to conceal itself before taking advantage of the concealment bonus, not-with-standing.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (ornot)
My personal feeling is that by not requiring an action from a character that has just had conceal cast on him, you're excessively penalising the defender; as he is practically forced to waste a simple action observing in detail to offset the penalty from the conceal power, while his attacker is able to continue shooting him.

*shrug*

I'd have said it penalized the unthinking attacker - after all, he's still standing more-or-less where he was, believing himself well protected...time for the grenades.

The smart attacker uses the advantage concealment gave him to get to a much more advantageous position, using infiltration to make it difficult to break the concealment power - "wasting" several of his actions.
Shrike30
Ya know, I don't see a -2 Target Concealed modifier, either. I think I was holding that over from either a previous edition, or a different game. All previous comments regarding that mod on my part are invalid. embarrassed.gif

The problem that a lot of players and a lot of groups have in Shadowrun is that they don't *get* into firefights, they get into gunfights. I break these up along two really rough lines:

Gunfights are when you shoot at someone who's shooting at you.
Firefights are when you shoot in the direction of someone who's shooting at you.

If your team kicks in a door, and you start trading rounds with the couple of guys in that room, you're in a gunfight. If one of the yahoos in your team decides to suppress the room for some reason, that doesn't make it a firefight... it just means he likes to waste ammo, or he's worried about something invisible/behind the sofa, or whatever. They usually happen at distances of a few meters, and they're usually over in a few seconds, because everyone's done shooting, been shot, or both. Your objective is "survive for the next couple of seconds" with the occasional "escape" or "kill" added on.

If your team starts taking fire from a building across the street, and they start returning fire at shadows and muzzle flashes in the building, that's a firefight. You don't, in fact, have a precise idea of where your target is. Your objective can be a lot more complex, since you've got more than a couple of seconds to complete it.

Someone said earlier that if you're going to take a Simple Action to OiD before each shot, you aren't going to be getting much done. At the kind of ranges that a gunfight happens, that's somewhat valid... when a troll is running at you with something sharp from a few feet away, you don't belong Observing in Detail to check how he's armored or what kind of weapon that is in his hands, you belong spending your SA's putting rounds into the guy because you've only got enough time to get off a couple of shots before he sticks you. Of course, if you blew your Perception roll when he showed up, he might turn out to be the scientist you're supposed to meet to steal the prototype nanosword, but hey, them's the breaks. Normally, this would be Obvious, and wouldn't require a Perception check at all, but if you're involved in a gunfight and a troll with a sword shows up, target ID is kind of critical.

Shadowrun doesn't do firefights very well, and they take forever if your goal in the firefight is to flatline everyone on the opposite side. When the bullets start flying, it becomes obvious to everyone within a few seconds that they are, in fact, under fire. People who make their Surprise checks can get their heads down real fast. People who don't make their Surprise checks lose that first IP, but can get their heads down within a few seconds of the gunfire starting (essentially, the difference between "OH, CRAP!" and "Why the heck is that windshield shattering... OH, CRAP!").

Beyond that point, it's a matter of figuring out what's going on. Where's the fire coming from? The situation is hectic... penalty there. You're specifically looking for the gunfire (as opposed to "You notice a red-breasted woodpecker on the power line above the street")... bonus there. Gunfire is frequently loud and obvious... bonus there. It is not instantly obvious down to what floor of the building and what side of which window shooters are operating from. If it were, people wouldn't ever get pinned down, because the moment they took fire they'd be able to effectively return it. Once you've nailed it down to an approximate area, suppressive fire is a possibility, just to get lead going in the right direction, and reduce the amount of suppression your own troops are dealing with so that they can effectively return fire. Plus, you shooting in the right direction gives people around you who might not have figured it out yet some pointers.

If you're continually blowing the Perception check, it's not that you don't know you're being shot at, it's just that you don't know from where. Maybe every time you peek up to look around, bullets hit your cover and you duck back under. Maybe you're trying to eyeball your attackers, your ammo readout, and yell into your comms at the same time and it's just too much to handle. Maybe you got distracted by the strobe light from the rave across the street and it took you a second to figure out "that's not muzzle flash." Whatever, you blew the roll, and didn't get the information you were seeking.

Once you manage to nail down a little more specifically where someone is (for example, you manage to spot him leaning around from the right side of the windowframe, rather than just looking for the big flashes), you can start engaging in actual targeted fire. If he ducks back, you're going to be making blind fire shots, but it's worth a try. If he ducks back and moves to another location, you're still going to be making blind fire shots... but your GM isn't going to be bothering to see if the bullets do much more than poke holes in the walls, since there's no target where you're blind firing.

If the yahoo is inexperienced enough or high enough to be standing in the window and shooting down at you repeatedly, picking him out and hitting him isn't going to be hard, as far as these things go. The guy he's firing at stays behind his cover, and one of his teammates returns aimed fire. This is one of the reasons that military units going up against disorganized civilian shooters tend to significantly outperform them... really basic things like "don't keep shooting out of the same window all day" can be learned through trial and error, but "error" usually involves getting shot.

Prepared or skilled shooters will do what they can to avoid being exposed to anything more dangerous than suppressive fire. Blind fire can still kill you if you're unlucky, and aimed fire usually means you're about to feel the pain. This is why ambushes, suppressed weapons, relocating where you're shooting from, and little tricks like not sticking your gun barrel out the window (and keeping the flash inside the room instead of outside the window, where it's a lot easier to find) help out a lot in a firefight... the enemy only has a vague clue of where you are, and so they're not really able to engage you.

Shadowrun's combat system is really horribly clunky for doing this kind of engagement, and the incredibly precise levels of detail to which any given fraction of a second can be tracked in a SR gunfight have resulted in twitch-ninja encounters where 20+ combatants can go from hidden ambush to total wipeout faster than you can read this run-on sentence. The system is okay for a gunfight, but lousy for a firefight. The disparity in IP's (one-IP characters may find themselves waiting a long, long time for their next opportunity to contribute to the action) exacerbates this problem... people are more interested in getting shots on target than they are in keeping bullets out of their hide.

The critter power Concealment is essentially an extension of things like suppressing your weapon, wearing appropriate camo, crouching on a rooftop half a block away, or coming at the target from behind a bright light source... it makes it harder for the guy to figure out where, exactly, his opponent is and what he's doing. The applications of this in a firefight are obvious... it makes it harder for the people under fire to get any more effective than suppressive fire. In a gunfight, it can buy you those critical couple of IPs before your targets know what's going on (during which you shred them). If a Concealed shooter keeps giving indications that he's there (like shooting at you), then he's going to be getting Perception tests made against him on a regular basis, but you're not going to have anything better than the kind of data you need for Suppressive fire until you nail down some successes.
Kesslan
You know Shrike, that gunfight vs firefight is basically I suppose the same sort of mindset I use when it comes to concealment and a shootout scenario. I mean to me in certain situations no matter how much camo tech you've got it becomes blatantly obvious where someone is at a given time.

I mean lets look at a ruth suit. One moment your target is standing before you, the next he's standing before you but is now seemingly see through due to the active camo.

But he's still right there. *BANG* not exactly hard to shoot him since he's still exactly in the same spot.

Now when your running around in cover, firing from cover, etc folk seem to form the very start totally agree with the concealment applying. Since your actively in one way or another trying to conceal your actual location.

To me really I suppose I see ruth suits and the concealment power as -aiding- such actions when you've allready been spotted. Not simply instantly making you poof like invisbility does. And arguably gives you cover when some one isnt directly paying attention to you specifically like when your sneaking across that empty parkinglot (Though I probably would apply some difficulty modifiers myself to something like that).

Some one who was invisible could do it no problem, and with one success could do it without making noise. Som eone who isnt specifically invisible however, in my mind couldnt do that without scaled up difficulty. Because while the concealment may help them BLEND. Thats all it does. So at the very least I sorta see it like the cloaks the predators have. Move fast enough and you get a telltail outline. Move slow and stealthily enough your target will never know you were there untill it's too late.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Kesslan)
But he's still right there. *BANG* not exactly hard to shoot him since he's still exactly in the same spot.

Within a single passes movement anyway - thus the grenade reference earlier. But even taking one pace left or right is going to foul up the aim of anyone assuming you didn't bother to move. Thus the recommendation of an observe-in-detail simple action.

Really, it's not sigificantly different than having to take another aim simple action to correct for losing track of someone through a scoped gun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012