Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The word Fiat?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
ixombie
For the first time ever in my gaming career, I am hearing a phrase tossed around as an integral part of the lexicon: GM fiat. It's easy to understand what it means from the context, but just what does that word mean according to the "experts?"

QUOTE ("dictionary.com")

fi·at /ˈfiɑt, -æt; ˈfaɪət, -æt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fee-aht, -at; fahy-uht, -at] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation   
–noun
1. an authoritative decree, sanction, or order: a royal fiat.
2. a formula containing the word fiat, by which a person in authority gives sanction.
3. an arbitrary decree or pronouncement, esp. by a person or group of persons having absolute authority to enforce it: The king ruled by fiat.

When I read this definition, I was a bit surprised. Where I come from, the way people refer to GM rulings is with the phrase GM discretion. In fact, that's the way SR4 and every RPG book I can can recall put it. GM discretion means that the GM makes a decision according to their best judgment, rather than making a pronouncement.

Fiat denotes a decree, an arbitrary decision by which players are ostensibly forced to abide whether they like it or not. I have never played a game where the word fiat would apply to the GM's decisions - every GM I have ever had worked hard to make sure their decisions were fair and the players were ok with them. Part of it of course is that my fellow players have always been reasonably mature and won't argue with a GM's exercise of discretion just because it goes against them.

All in all, it seems that people use the word fiat as a slur on GM authority. Using fiat instead of discretion is saying that the GM's power is arbitrary, rather than based on fairness or common sense. Is this what people mean when they use fiat, or is it just a substitute word with no extra connotation the way most people use it?
Konsaki
Or that might just be your take on it.

IMO, the GM has to make a decision that might have a huge impact on the story/char/game. While yes the choice the GM makes could be arbitrary, a 'good' GM will think it over to the best of his ability and then choose something. We could call this process Snargle or Gronta and it would still hold the same weight for the fact that the GM needs to make a decision on a matter at hand.
It's how he does it that makes the difference.
lorechaser
Because they're just so darn cool.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...x-Lada_1200.jpg

knasser

No, I agree with the dead one. GM fiat is a pejorative term. I usually refer to something as a judgement call when I want to be entirely neutral.

But I've usually thought of GM fiat as being rail roading rather than house ruling. When the Lonestar cops show up just by chance at the moment that the characters are about to get their hands on something the GM doesn't want them to have, that's what I call GM Fiat and I consider the term to indicate something bad.
James McMurray
GM Fiat is just GM Discretion that you disagree with. At least, that seems to be how it usually gets used here.
djinni
if you think the GM is the omnipotent ruler of your gaming group you tend to lean toward vocabulary that supports the thought such as "fiat" or "ruling."
if you take the general Idea of the gaming community that the GM is no more powerful than the players you use vocabulary like "vote" "decision" or "discretion."
lorechaser
Eh.

The DM has as much power as he is given by the group. But one of the GM's essential job functions is to make a ruling when players can't agree, imho. The players argue, no one agrees, so one person makes the call. That person is the GM.

I've always see fiat as somewhat pejorative too. "Why did the vampire escape through a greenhouse? It's daylight out!" "GM Fiat." "You can't do that." "Why not?" "Cause." "GM Fiat."
ShadowDragon
You're overthinking this. The word "fiat" has no inherent negative connotation. It's a neutral word. If it bothers you that GMs have authority over a game, you're playing with the wrong GM.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (lorechaser)
I've always see fiat as somewhat pejorative too. "Why did the vampire escape through a greenhouse? It's daylight out!" "GM Fiat." "You can't do that." "Why not?" "Cause." "GM Fiat."

Sometimes this can't be avoided though without giving away plot elements that would ruin the game. Suppose that vampire really isn't one, and the PCs are just lead to believe he is a vampire. If you gave them the logical answer they want (or even hint at it with some smarter players), you'd ruin part of the plot.
Marmot
It's better when you use a 10 nuyen.gif word for it, because most gaming groups just get annoyed when I GM and claim to have 'done it for the lolz'.

Also, fiat and discretion are easier to type than the example above.

Edit: Monetary sign edited for relevance.
lorechaser
Very true.

That's where a knowing smile comes in handy as the GM. wink.gif
Butterblume
You are all wrong, of course. If you wanted the GM to do something special for your char, you called the pizza delivery service. Since around here the most used car of pizza delivery services was the Fiat Panda, the other players tended to roll their eyes and moaned "There's the GM Fiat, again".
ixombie
My post was just wondering why people use the word so much, soliciting peoples' ideas on what it means, and giving my own take.

Thank you to the people who have given constructive replies so far.

Also, thanks to the people who have misunderstood the content of my post and flamed me. Where would the internet be without the noble half literate trolls? smile.gif
Marmot
I did it for the lolz.
Fortune
QUOTE (ixombie)
Also, thanks to the people who have misunderstood the content of my post and flamed me. Where would the internet be without the noble half literate trolls?

You know, I've re-read the thread, and just don't see even one example of something I would call a 'flame'. Would you be so kind as to point them out for me, so that I know what to look for next time?
mfb
i actually don't view "GM fiat" with any negative connotations. the GM can and should exercise absolute authority when necessary to keep the game running smoothly. that doesn't mean he shouldn't also listen to his players, but the ultimate decisions are his to make.

and, yeah--what flames? i mean, if you want, i'm sure somebody here'd be willing to cast aspersions on your parentage and faculties, or call you a Nazi. but i don't see that anyone actually has, yet.
Konsaki
Great... MFB has invoked the rule... Sorta...

Confused?
mfb
YOUR A NAZI

YOUR LIKE SOME KIND OF KONHITLER
Konsaki
NOOO!!!eleven!! I've been found out... Where's my pillz?!
Marmot
Your NAZI pills, am I right?

Oh snap, we hijacked this thread like Germany hijacked the Sudetenland.
Butterblume
I can't understand the reference to Hitler. Fiat is an italian car, so Benito Mussolini should be mentioned instead.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (lorechaser)

...damn straight

But if GM starts making them they'll look like every other blandmobile on the road.grinbig.gif
Aaron
Just let it be.
Cain
In an attempt to salvage this thread: There is a difference between GM Discretion and GM fiat. Discretion is used in conjunction witht he player's choices and opinions. GM Fiat is a simple pronouncement without bothering to consider another point of view: a true royal fiat.

(Actually, this post is an attempt to chase down a weird error I keep getting. You may now return to your regulararly scheduled bulldrek. cool.gif )
Konsaki
Opinions and interpretations are so grand, you ask 100 people what something is and you could get everyone agreeing on what it is or you could get an infinite amount of answers that dont quite match up.
blakkie
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Dec 11 2006, 12:00 PM)

Er, that is a Fiat knock-off. So a mix of Italian practicality and Russian engineering and manufacturing acumen. Yeah, it's kinda like that. cool.gif
Charon
What a lot of politically correct non-sense. Most of us are all talking about the same thing but some prefer gentler words.

Boohoo, GM shouldn't use fiat. They should use their judgement, their discretion. I wouldn't play with someone who used GM fiat...

QUOTE (ixozombie)
Fiat denotes a decree, an arbitrary decision by which players are ostensibly forced to abide

Yeah, fiat denotes an authoritative arbitrary decision. Authoritative as in, coming from the authority. You know, the GM?

And you know what arbitrary means?

According to webster, it's a decision "depending on individual discretion (as of a judge) and not fixed by law."

Ooh, look at that. The GM, as the arbiter of the game, makes discretionary decisions when confronted with situations not fixed by the BBB. Ooooh! Hiss! What an evil man. Way to use GM's fiat.

Hey, let's ban the term GM while we are at it. Game Master?! I recognize no master! I want a Play Concilor!

GM is the arbiter of the game. For the game to run smoothly he needs to make many decsion as the arbiter. Arbitrary decisions. Which doesn't mean they are bad, unreasonable and tyrannical decision.
Konsaki
And Charon gets a point.
ixombie
I agree. No flames on here. I retract my statement!

Clearly, nobody has skimmed my post and misread my intent. They very clearly understood that I wanted to discuss the use of the word fiat and what people mean when they say it, whether I was correct in thinking that it has a negative connotation. They in no way pulled the idea that I'm against GM authority out of their asses. Mea culpa.
Konsaki
If you say so, I guess... Nice to see you agreeing with us.
PS: You forgot the /sarcasm
blakkie
QUOTE (Konsaki)
And Charon gets a point.

For what? Building a bigger pile of poo than the next horse's rump?
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Konsaki)
And Charon gets a point.

Point, Set, and Match even.
blakkie
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Dec 11 2006, 05:33 PM)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Dec 11 2006, 06:18 PM)
And Charon gets a point.

Point, Set, and Match even.

ohplease.gif wobble.gif Oh for fuck's sake, did anyone actually bother to read past the first line in the definition?
QUOTE (Merriam-Webster Online)
1 : depending on individual discretion (as of a judge) and not fixed by law <the manner of punishment is arbitrary>
2 a : not restrained or limited in the exercise of power : ruling by absolute authority <an arbitrary government> b : marked by or resulting from the unrestrained and often tyrannical exercise of power <protection from arbitrary arrest and detention>
3 a : based on or determined by individual preference or convenience rather than by necessity or the intrinsic nature of something <an arbitrary standard> <take any arbitrary positive number> <arbitrary division of historical studies into watertight compartments -- A. J. Toynbee> b : existing or coming about seemingly at random or by chance or as a capricious and unreasonable act of will <when a task is not seen in a meaningful context it is experienced as being arbitrary -- Nehemiah Jordan> 

The problem normally comes in when it becomes, at least in the player's view, 3b (perhaps even 3a) which I've highlighted for your reading pleasure. That is the point of choosing a different word, to avoid confusion with that use.
James McMurray
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
You're overthinking this. The word "fiat" has no inherent negative connotation. It's a neutral word. If it bothers you that GMs have authority over a game, you're playing with the wrong GM.

It might not have in some places, but here you can almost gaurantee that it's being pulled up with bad intent, often to point out how horrible the idea of a game where the GM makes decisions is. That's why you'll see GM Discretion and GM Fiat in the same threads. Discretion is used by those that don't think it's a bad thing, while fiat is usually used by those who think it is.
PlatonicPimp
My use of GM fiat is also a pejorative, but not towards the GM.

In my personal ideolect, GM fiat is when the rules require a GM's arbitration in order to function. Example: Roll this skill against a target number set by the GM. This is all well and good, except that the GM has little to no guide as to what that target number should be. So they make one up from thin air, since the rules provided no guidelines. This means what one GM feels is an easy task, another feels is a hard one. So it's impossible to have a baseline for how competent your character is without knowing how your GM will play it beforehand. It means the player has no way of telling if the GM is being fair. hell, teh GM has no way to tell if he's being fair. He can also rule one way one day, and another way next session. This throws consistency out the window, gives no assurance of fairness, and so fails as a rule. When the game fails to provide proper guidelines for task resolution, and calls on the GM to pick up the slack, that is GM Fiat.

By my usage.

Contrast with GM Judgement, when the GM makes a similar decision with adequate guidelines from the rules, in which the reasoning can be supported, and which the players can look at the same guidelines and come to similar conclusions, and so have a decent Idea what to expect.

Also contrast with GM descretion, which is knowing when to throw out the rules in order to make a better story.

Again, by my usage.
Glyph
"GM fiat" is often used as a negative term. Obviously, a GM needs to make all kinds of rulings and judgements to resolve vague rules, or to otherwise keep the game going. But equally as obviously, that is not what people are typically talking about when they use the term "GM fiat". See, the game also has dice and rules to quantify character abilities and add a random element to the game.

"GM fiat" is typically used in a perjorative fashion when the GM ignores the rules to have something happen no matter what. It is also used when the GM may not be breaking the rules per se, but is still railroading. That's not to say that the GM will never arbitrarily make something happen, plot-wise, but excessive railroading can erode the trust between players and the GM, and make the players lose motivation, since nothing that their characters do seems to matter.

Examples of GM fiat:

The main bad guy MUST escape from the first confrontation. A manabolt and a narrow burst both should have killed him, but the GM fudges it, then rules that the bad guy got away "somehow" despite all of the exits being blocked.

A PC finds a squatter kid spraying graffitti on his bike, and shoots the kid. The GM immediately retaliates by having a Lone Star sniper blow the PC's head off.

No matter what the characters do or how careful they are, they all get caught by the Mafia and brought before the don, where a rocket launcher and a high-rated power focus that the GM didn't like the characters having are taken away, then the group is given a choice between doing a mission for the don or getting shot.
James McMurray
That last Mafia example could actually make sense. It all depends on what they did to the Don and what their idea of careful was. But yeah, it could easily be crap GMing as well.
Kesslan
QUOTE (James McMurray)
That last Mafia example could actually make sense. It all depends on what they did to the Don and what their idea of careful was. But yeah, it could easily be crap GMing as well.

Indeed. I mean eventually for stuff like that the GM has to make a ruling. A good GM will take into account various factors. Alot of times these factors wont be known (at least ahead of time) by the players. Thats part of the idea afterall.
The thing is often players dont necessarily think about what their doing. I mean if I pull a 'big run' that has potential for alot of fallout the first thing my chars tend to do is cut n' run for one of their safehouses, doing the best they can to make sure their not followed, and keep an ear to the ground as best they can for a little while to see if there is any serious heat after them.

Others though just bust right into an Ares compound, no disguises, show up on a quabillion cameras. ANd then casually waltz home never once looking over their shoulder to see if theri being followed etc.

In the latter case I've seen alot of those same players cry foul just because they got stupid and didnt want to pay for the all too obvious potential fallout. So I mean often I find (personally at least) that if some one complains about GM rulings it's because oh! It must be sooo unfair etc. In situations like that alot would claim the GM is simply saying this is happening just cause! Well no, in say the above example the reason is because you went in, shot a bunch of people, most of them probably totally innocent. You then jandered on back home never bothering to check to see if said powerful corp was still after you.

The GM may well have gone right to the rulebook, made one or more rolls for an NPC to tail you, and thats how you got tracked back. Its not even grandiose for the GM to work under the assumption that the corp would do that either. Afterall, by the fluff itself, Ares is not only one of the megas, but it's got a rep for being on the ruthless side of things.

So, at least personally thats why claims of a GM 'fiating' a situation to me at least has totally negative connotations. Since personally I expect an even remotely decent GM to use some sense and knowledge of the game, and entities as presented into consideration. Even if there arnt hardline rules for a certain situation. As long as they at least do their best to factor in everything they can. I consider it a ruling. And you can do that quite quickly and on the fly if you know the system/setting well enough too. As opposed to being purely based uppon your mere fancy at the time.
ixombie
Good stuff! The last six posters managed to bring the thread back to the cogent discussion I hoped for.

I'm getting the feeling that most people use it as a pejorative, but generally only as criticism of bad GMing or criticism of vague rules that give the GM no guidelines.
Kesslan
Hmmm yeah I'd have to say I'd say the lack of any guidlines is also a sort of case of GM fiat I guess. Since then you have to rely on what actual knowledge/experience you have of the given subject at hand. It's kinda like SR and what happens to passengers in a vehicle collision. By the base SR4 system its kinda insane. As the damage applied to the vehicle is also equally applied to the passengers. Which makes no sense given the fact that modern vehicle design has a large focus around passenger survivability, and by the SR system there's no way I'd have survived the very real, not one, but two high speed, and one 'low' speed collision accidents I've been in (Once in a school bus as a child, the second time I was on my bike and got hit by a guy going through a red light, and the third time was as the driver of one of the vehicles).

But I'd hardly expect the average GM to have been afforded such misfortune. So it's very possible in cases like that one GM might just blindly follow the rules that to me dont really make sense (Except for the fact that their as basic as you get for such things)
James McMurray
So are you saying that following the rules can also be Fiat?
Konsaki
Hell, I dont see anyone complaining about the 'Dice of Fiat'.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kesslan)
...The GM may well have gone right to the rulebook, made one or more rolls for an NPC to tail you, and thats how you got tracked back. Its not even grandiose for the GM to work under the assumption that the corp would do that either. Afterall, by the fluff itself, Ares is not only one of the megas, but it's got a rep for being on the ruthless side of things.

So, at least personally thats why claims of a GM 'fiating' a situation to me at least has totally negative connotations. Since personally I expect an even remotely decent GM to use some sense and knowledge of the game, and entities as presented into consideration. Even if there arnt hardline rules for a certain situation. As long as they at least do their best to factor in everything they can. I consider it a ruling. And you can do that quite quickly and on the fly if you know the system/setting well enough too.  As opposed to being purely based uppon your mere fancy at the time.

...very well put.

So many times a runner team (and as a PC I've been just a guilty at times - though KK4.3 actually is forgetful) just assumes that "oh, we're out of there" and heads back to the safehouse with nothing ever said about performing countermeasures (such as scanning themselves for RFID tags or erasing spell signatures). If they assume the GM takes into consideration they have some kind of a post run S.O.P. yet say nothing, in my campaigns they are badly mistaken.

So if several men in armoured suits approach one of the runners a week later and cart him off to some interrogation room, there is no crying "foul".
James McMurray
I find it interesting when players manage to consistently track down people they need for their run via legwork, but are then surprised when the other side manages to track them down the same way.
Nasrudith
QUOTE (Kesslan)
Hmmm yeah I'd have to say I'd say the lack of any guidlines is also a sort of case of GM fiat I guess. Since then you have to rely on what actual knowledge/experience you have of the given subject at hand. It's kinda like SR and what happens to passengers in a vehicle collision. By the base SR4 system its kinda insane. As the damage applied to the vehicle is also equally applied to the passengers. Which makes no sense given the fact that modern vehicle design has a large focus around passenger survivability, and by the SR system there's no way I'd have survived the very real, not one, but two high speed, and one 'low' speed collision accidents I've been in (Once in a school bus as a child, the second time I was on my bike and got hit by a guy going through a red light, and the third time was as the driver of one of the vehicles).

But I'd hardly expect the average GM to have been afforded such misfortune. So it's very possible in cases like that one GM might just blindly follow the rules that to me dont really make sense (Except for the fact that their as basic as you get for such things)

Did you or your GM remember to apply the veichle armor to the crash test? The average car adds 6 armor to your damage resistance tests in a crash.
knasser

Isn't part of what makes something fiat a lack of justification? In an earlier example, the players are helplessly adbucted and brought before a mafia don who takes away a power focus that the GM doesn't want them to have. They cry "Fiat!" But if the GM builds it up more carefully, if the players have previously made enemies of the mafia don, possibly won a battle against him using the power focus, or refused a generous offer to purchase it from them, then you're on your way to making it not fiat at all, but just the natural consequence of the world's workings.

Nobody calls it GM Fiat when the GM carefully considers the rules and says I think the case must be X because it's strongly implied by Y and Z. Nobody calls it GM fiat when the Lone Star cops that the player just shot past at 135mph whilst shooting at their pursuers with an LMG call in an arial drone squad and give chase. In these cases, there is no visible action on the GM's part. When the players want to stay and loot the body of a fallen mage in a back alley and five passing cyber-zombies appear, or the security guards are using a special brand of Ex-Ex ammo that self-destructs if removed from the security guard's corpse, then the GM hand is overt and resented.

Fiat is overt and overt control by the GM is always resented. Hence fiat is a negative term.

My opinion.

blakkie
QUOTE (knasser @ Dec 12 2006, 12:01 PM)
Nobody calls it GM Fiat when the GM carefully considers the rules and says I think the case must be X because it's strongly implied by Y and Z.

I think PlatonicPimp might be. Because of the example he gives. SR4 does have rules for setting the Threshold. Including one (capping Thresholds at 4) that I think is for crap, and is dead to me. wink.gif Sure it could have used more specifics, and Extended Tests have even weaker guidelines. But there are guidelines there and a lot of the time you are dealing with opposed tests anyway.

However IMO even with less guidelines than the BBB provides you do NOT require GM "fiat" to function. As long as they GM and players are in general agreement with how the world works, and over the longterm judgements the GM gives are consistant.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I find it interesting when players manage to consistently track down people they need for their run via legwork, but are then surprised when the other side manages to track them down the same way.

...I find that amusing too.
blakkie
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Dec 12 2006, 11:31 AM)

...I find that amusing too.

I put mechanics to the process of tracking down people of interest in part to try drive home to the players how it isn't just PCs that can do this. That it is something any character can attempt.
Fortune
QUOTE (James McMurray)

I don't think it is that so much, as (let's take the example above) when the GM just tells the PCs that they have been captured by the Mafia without giving them any chance whatsoever to resist. I mean, any decent GM could capture the PCs 'in-game' with little to no fuss if they put their mind to it, so just hand-waving the capture away as an off-stage event is what a lot of people would be complaining about.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012