Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dusting Off the Deck
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Insomnia Bob
Hey folks. So, I'm running SR4, but I'm taking my group of newbie shadowrunners through the paces (and history) of the setting. Hell of a campaign to run, no?

So, after much review, I've decided to amalgamate SR3 and SR4 matrix rules. Systems are still hardlined. While wireless nets exist, in order to use full VR, and get any real hacking done, you need the bandwidth that only comes from a hardline fiber-op connection.

SO. I need some help. After all, there are only a few commlinks in the book, the most amazing of which only runs 8 grand, and has a response of 4. Sure, there are off the market upgrades, but it's still a long way away from a Fairlight Excalibur.

So, I want to bring cyberdecks back. It's the past, anyway. The question is, how should I make them work in SR4?

Response is pretty easy, it just translates like Wired Reflexes, addint to reaction and IP. The MPCP isn't as bad as it could be...but what should those attirbute points go into?

And how might one translate old system security codes? If you have thoughts, please share.

My big issue with the 4th Ed. Matrix is it gives lots of rules for hacking, and almost no rules for sytems. It's all left far too abstract. Hopefully when Matrix 4 comes out, this will be addressed, but until then, thoughts?
Kesslan
Well one of the simplest things to do might be taking a look at the old TN modifiers. Maybe cut em in half and then use that new number as a dice pool modifier or something.

So if a test added +4 TN then you would conver it to -2 dice pool or some such. If you fully intend for decks to be superior to comlinks, cut the max comlink stat strengths by say.. half, and then make decks be able to go over that new cap. So your farlight excal would have OS 6, Firewall 6 etc.

Bringing back memory limits shouldnt be too hard, not sure bout the rest though.
Ryu
Hmm. YouŽll have to remember that SR4 mainframes are not limited to rating 6.

Maybe you could have decks with ratings up to nine, and up all node ratings except comlinks by three. The price could be much higher, because no consumer on the street needs that kind of processing power (a tendency thats already starting to show nowadays. My CAD system has less power than the gaming PC of some of my friends). Economies of scale and all.

Hardening could grant autosuccesses (IŽve heard SR1 had those) against damage.
Fortune
I'm not quite understanding why you would need to change anything, other than making VR a wired-only endeavor and maybe jacking the price of high-end Commlinks and Programs. Why not just use the new system, but incorporate the old 'feel' of jacking in instead of trying to force a melding with a whole other system mechanic?

If Joe Average only has an AR-capable MetaLink (or equivalent) then that puts anything better into the 'deck-like' category anyway.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ryu)
Hmm. YouŽll have to remember that SR4 mainframes are not limited to rating 6.

Neither are commlinks.
lorechaser
I posted about this a while back - here's the house rules I settled on:

Commlinks are limited to Response 2 and System 2 when dealing with the Matrix.  Simple routines they can run at full stats, but actually jacking in sets you back unless you have a full cyberdeck.

Here's the rules:

Commlinks and the Matrix: Commlinks can, and do, allow people access to the Matrix. And that access is passable, and suffices for the majority of the population. However, for those that wish to push the boundaries, or break the rules, there is nothing that compares to having a deck full of custom software. Cyberdecks allow faster interfaces, better response, and are required for the truly wiz. Additionally, they provide features like hardening and black ice protection that are unavailable simply via commlinks.

When attempting to access the Matrix in VR or AR mode, Response and System are capped at 2 when using a commlink or any similar, wireless device, and you may never have more than 1 IP.  Surpassing these limits requires a hardline connection, typically acquired via a cyberdeck.  Cyberdecks may be jacked directly in to a datajack (the equivalent of Hot-Sim), or can be accessed via trodes and paste (the equivalent of Cold-Sim).  Prices for cyberdecks are as listed for commlinks in the core book, with additional options possible.

I'll also add options for "naked decking" once I look at the old 3rd rules - basically plugging your brain-meats in to the Matrix, and using headwear or plugged in storage and programs.

Note that this does imply that a typical dedicated hacker will have both a high rating cyberdeck *and* commlink.  I'm okay with that.  Right now I feel like it's a little too easy to become a decker - all you have to do is drop cash on rating 6 programs and plug them in to your normal commlink.

An outgrowth of this: Skinlinks will require an input port to function.  This can be a datajack, in which case you simply add an adapter to the jack, which is included in the cost of Skinlinks.  Alternatively, if you don't have a jack, you'll need to add an input accepter to a relevant device (if your guns are skinlinked w/smartlinks, then your glasses should have it, etc).  Without that device, your skin links will fail to work.

It's not a true conversion, because it ignores all the really cool stuff in SR3. However, I don't have those books any more, and I wasn't willing to go through all the pieces and convert them. This is just a quick fix, in essence. It brings back the flavor, but keeps the SR4 rules mostly intact.
Moon-Hawk
I'd say use standard SR4 rules, except:
AR is what you can use wirelessly. You are limited to one matrix phase per turn, regardless of wired reflexes, etc.
A hard-wired connection allows cold or hot VR.
If you want to, make commlinks larger. (Maybe only if they're above a certain rating) An old-school pocket secretary can just be a rating 1 'link, but an old-school cyberdeck would be represented by rating 4 and above commlinks. Response would be the main rating for this one, since it limits just about everything else anyway.

There, instant SR3 feel, without worrying about balance issues. That's what I'd do.

edit: Looks like Lorechaser and I are thinking along the same lines. Change as little as possible to achieve the feel, because trying to convert every last scrap just leaves you playing SR3 anyway. smile.gif
lorechaser
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I'd say use standard SR4 rules, except:
AR is what you can use wirelessly. You are limited to one matrix phase per turn, regardless of wired reflexes, etc.
A hard-wired connection allows cold or hot VR.
If you want to, make commlinks larger. (Maybe only if they're above a certain rating) An old-school pocket secretary can just be a rating 1 'link, but an old-school cyberdeck would be represented by rating 4 and above commlinks. Response would be the main rating for this one, since it limits just about everything else anyway.

There, instant SR3 feel, without worrying about balance issues. That's what I'd do.

edit: Looks like Lorechaser and I are thinking along the same lines. Change as little as possible to achieve the feel, because trying to convert every last scrap just leaves you playing SR3 anyway. smile.gif

Heh. Great minds. wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Looks like Lorechaser and I are thinking along the same lines. Change as little as possible to achieve the feel, because trying to convert every last scrap just leaves you playing SR3 anyway. smile.gif

That's what I said too! What am I ... chopped spleen? frown.gif nyahnyah.gif
Moon-Hawk
Chopped spleen? Fortune, you were our inspiration man.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012