Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Post 2070 modus operandi for corps
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Konsaki)
The Smurphs were polygamists. All those male smurphs and only Smurphette?

The Smurfs were all male. They were just very accepting of Smurfette's choices. And Vanity's.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Dec 20 2006, 11:00 PM)

The Smurfs were all male. They were just very accepting of Smurfette's choices. And Vanity's.

Ok... whatever you say, man. biggrin.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
The rumors of the evil dragon running the show have not gone away with the Big D's death and reappear in Shadows of Latin America.

That hurts. frown.gif
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Grinder)
That hurts. frown.gif

I hear that things are in motion to try to get that book out. Which makes me happy. Hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.
Backgammon
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Dec 20 2006, 09:00 PM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 20 2006, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Dec 20 2006, 08:08 PM)
And Ryan Mercury of course. He was so nice when we'd never heard of him.

I don't imagine we'll be seeing him again any time soon.

He's either dead, looking for Nadja, or sitting next to her on a beach in Perth admiring sunsets.

If he's next to her on a beach, I garuntee it's not the sunset that he's admiring.

It's probably something significantly smaller (than a sunset, at least). And brown.

*Whoosh*

Try again.

Spelled out: He's staring at Nadja's Nice Large Brown Nipples.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Dec 20 2006, 11:00 PM)

Technically Smurfs are all male. Smurfette is a golem created by Gargamel. She later decided that the Smurf's way of life was superior and defected, becoming a permanent member of the Smurf Village.

So now like all the other Smurfs, Smurfette lives in an amanita muscaria - a poisonous mushroom which properly prepared can leeched can be a delicious treat. However, while generally accepted as a member of the Smurf family, and different enough from the other Smurfs to be considered "exotically attractive" - Smurfette is made out of clay, not gold.

-Frank
SL James
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Dec 21 2006, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 20 2006, 11:13 PM)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Dec 20 2006, 09:00 PM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 20 2006, 10:16 PM)

He's either dead, looking for Nadja, or sitting next to her on a beach in Perth admiring sunsets.

If he's next to her on a beach, I garuntee it's not the sunset that he's admiring.

It's probably something significantly smaller (than a sunset, at least). And brown.

*Whoosh*

Try again.

Spelled out: He's staring at Nadja's Nice Large Brown Nipples.

That's not the joke. The joke is in the part about sitting on a beach in Perth admiring sunsets.

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Wonder why Nadja dropped out of sight? Pregnant maybe?

Maybe. She was 53 when she disappeared. For a first-generation elf who's not entirely sure about this whole 400-year lifespan thing, one might think that it's about time.

QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
I cant belieive the writers bailed out Detroit. Michigan as a state is an armpit of blue collar working class poverty (or so it seems).

Because Ares is a stand-in for OCP from Robocop. OCP was based in Detroit.

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 20 2006, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Dec 20 2006, 03:08 PM)
if you want them evil, then just say the rumored dragon behind the Big A is pushing the "evil agenda" again.

But Dunkelzahn is dead.

Or, well, dead enough not to be running Aztechnology anymore.

Dunk wasn't running Aztechnology, though he was definitely sitting on the Board. The rumors of the evil dragon running the show have not gone away with the Big D's death and reappear in Shadows of Latin America.

Yeah. What do you know?

Of course, since we know Dunk was on the Board, you would think he'd be aware of who/what was running the show at AZT. And you'd have to wonder why he allowed it to continue. But then again, Dunkelzahn always did have a different way of dealing with things than his brother does.

That sounds familiar.

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Dec 21 2006, 11:14 AM)
That hurts.  frown.gif

I hear that things are in motion to try to get that book out. Which makes me happy. Hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.

Hell will freeze over first.
Demonseed Elite
I do find the theory about Dunkelzahn running AZT interesting though. But if it were the case, there are a lot of things that seem off. Like why he went through all the trouble of everything in the Dragonheart Trilogy. If Dunk were running AZT, he should have seen all that coming long before a personal sacrifice would be required to stop it.

Besides, as far as we're aware, while Dunk possessed voting stock and a Board seat, that alone wouldn't give him enough sway over AZT to be considered the one in charge.
FrankTrollman
The Dragonheart was far more powerful than anything that could have been made at this period in the mana cycle. Producing it required the use of Earthdawn era Death Patterns. That is: characters in Earthdawn can make disgustingly powerful effects with their own death, and Mountainshadow is an Earthdawn character.

The Hoorors were coming in through a bridge to mana spikes that were already in place without any say-so by Aztechnology or Dunkelzahn.

---

Thereafter, Aztechnology began producing such a bridge deliberately under controlled circumstances. A copy of the ones left over from the Ghost Dance that was scientifically investigated during formation. All reports were handed over to the board, and by extension - Dunkelzahn.

Just before those bridges were completed, someone tipped off a bunch of Runners (see Harlequin's Back) who came in and killed everyone performing the actual bridge creation process. And then Dunkelzahn turns around and suddenly he knows exactly how the entire bridge system works and then uses the power released by his own death to destroy them all.

And then Dunkelzahn lives on after the fact using cybermancy - a magical technique that was also financed by Aztechnology at great expense. In fact, it was originally put together by the same group of blood mages that made the bridges in the first place (see Cybertechnology), with presumably their research data turned over to the same people.

So let's consider the timeline:
  1. Oscuro is empowered by the Aztechnology Board to spend huge fat wads of nuyen to make a bridge to the horror lands and refine cybermancy into a working proposition.
  2. Oscuro starts getting results, turns over research to the board, and requests more funding.
  3. An interested party shoots Oscuro right in the face.
  4. Dunkelzahn creates a powerful magical effect that stops the horror invasion in its tracks based on research into the horror bridge phenomenon that is remarkably similar to Oscuro's.
  5. Dunkelzahn is able to survive this event because of cybermancy.

So... what's would Occam's Razor say is the easiest way to connect those dots?

-Frank
Konsaki
Lofwyr? nyahnyah.gif
Demonseed Elite
I'm not sure Occam's Razor would touch that either. nyahnyah.gif

I mean, it's not a bad theory, but there are holes. We have no evidence or information indicating that Dunkelzahn had anymore influence over the Board than any other Board member. We know he had voting stock and a Board seat, but so do other people. So why would Dunkelzahn be the guiding force behind AZT in that case?

And sure, self-sacrifice allowed Dunkelzahn to create a powerful artifact, but if he was behind the mana bridge in the Dragonheart Trilogy, what's the rush to create the Dragonheart? It's understandable that there's a rush if he wasn't behind the bridge and the situation was really quite dire, but if the bridge was a controlled experiment intended to never be completed, then it certainly seems odd for a dragon to feel the need to sacrifice himself to create an artifact right then.

Besides, would a dragon who has been through previous ages really need to study a mana bridge? I can't imagine the effect of the Great Ghost Dance created more of a mana spike than a Dragon Ritual would. Which could very well explain why Dragon Rituals were banned by the Council of Barsaivian Dragons, but Dunk would have already been familiar with the process. After all, he went against that ban before with dire consequences for the city of Vivane.

And if it was Dunkelzahn's planned and intended goal to survive on through cybermancy, that process definitely wasn't perfect either. Understandable if he was in a rush, but again kinda strange if it was all predetermined.
FrankTrollman
I mean, it's not a bad theory, but there are holes. We have no evidence or information indicating that Dunkelzahn had anymore influence over the Board than any other Board member. We know he had voting stock and a Board seat, but so do other people. So why would Dunkelzahn be the guiding force behind AZT in that case?

Oh I don't think he's the guiding force behind AZT. I think it's just that... he's the only person who actually benefitted from the research that the BMG performed. And sure, there's a Feathered Serpent who was into teaching Blood Magic to humans and getting them to do blood research back in Earthdawn days - he probably wasn't hard to convince (See Dragons). And there's an Eastern Dragon who is apparently quite horror marked, I'm sure he was easy to convince to do Horror Research (see Aztlan). And Juan and Roxborough probably weren't that hard to persuade to invest in cybermantic research.

But the bottom line is that the Aztlan blood magic research division for whatever reason managed to crank out exactly what Dunkelzahn needed and then they were all killed afterwards. Recall also that Dunkie managed to give the information that Harly managed to use to kill the BMG off (see Aztlan), and that puts him in a very interesting position indeed.

Besides, would a dragon who has been through previous ages really need to study a mana bridge?

He claimed that the answer was yes in the Aztlan file.

I can't imagine the effect of the Great Ghost Dance created more of a mana spike than a Dragon Ritual would.

According to Harly, it did. The ritual created a mana spike that was prematurely going to allow in the Horrors.

And if it was Dunkelzahn's planned and intended goal to survive on through cybermancy, that process definitely wasn't perfect either. Understandable if he was in a rush, but again kinda strange if it was all predetermined.

Certainly. An interesting facet ofthe Death Pattern thing is that it's contingent. That is, you can enact it whenever you die. And that indicates to me that Dunkelzahn didn't "sacrifice" himself at all - he simply set up a condition whereby he would make the best of things if he got killed.

-Frank
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Frank Trollman)
Interesting. But he made the Dragon Heart, I don't see how he could persist outside of a cyberzombie. He is dead, he can't get around that if he's in a bod which is normally alive.

He was a spirit (free) before he was in the cyber zombie. The way it read in the book, I find him planning to end up in the Zombie unlikely. More like he planned on sending Mercury across w/ the Heart (mostly 'cause that's what everything was geared to in the first place, then he got trapped in the zombie).

QUOTE (Fortune)
The thing is that he worked damn hard to be in exactly the position he is in. Why would he want to change that now?

'Cuase he could set some other spirit up there and get back to life. Get back on track with his original plans and all that. After all, he wasn't planning on dying unless he had no choice, and he wasn't planning on ending up in a zombie, he wanted his drake-to-be to do it. So if he could come back, and still have somone guarding the rift w/ the heart, why wouldn't he?

Sorry for the late reply
Demonseed Elite
Oh I don't think he's the guiding force behind AZT. I think it's just that... he's the only person who actually benefitted from the research that the BMG performed. And sure, there's a Feathered Serpent who was into teaching Blood Magic to humans and getting them to do blood research back in Earthdawn days - he probably wasn't hard to convince (See Dragons). And there's an Eastern Dragon who is apparently quite horror marked, I'm sure he was easy to convince to do Horror Research (see Aztlan). And Juan and Roxborough probably weren't that hard to persuade to invest in cybermantic research.

But the bottom line is that the Aztlan blood magic research division for whatever reason managed to crank out exactly what Dunkelzahn needed and then they were all killed afterwards. Recall also that Dunkie managed to give the information that Harly managed to use to kill the BMG off (see Aztlan), and that puts him in a very interesting position indeed.

I agree that research into blood magic benefitted Dunkelzahn, but I'm not sure I'd say he was the only person who benefitted.

He claimed that the answer was yes in the Aztlan file.

Yeah, but if your theory were true, the whole Aztlan file was a set-up by Dunk anyway. That would hardly make what he said to the others there trustworthy.

According to Harly, it did. The ritual created a mana spike that was prematurely going to allow in the Horrors.

Harly would likely not be terribly familiar with Dragon Ritual Magic. Only Dragons can perform it and Barsavian Dragons were outlawed from doing so. Dunk, on the other hand, was very familiar with Dragon Ritual Magic. He performed it in the Fourth World, breaking the rules of the Dragon Council.

Certainly. An interesting facet ofthe Death Pattern thing is that it's contingent. That is, you can enact it whenever you die. And that indicates to me that Dunkelzahn didn't "sacrifice" himself at all - he simply set up a condition whereby he would make the best of things if he got killed.

My memory's too poor (or maybe I just repressed those novels), but I can't recall whether the Dragonheart Trilogy made it clear or not if the whole assassination was planned.
fistandantilus4.0
Basically he killed him self, a littel setup contingency IIRC. I always assumed he was using the "dying legacy" sacrifice blood magic thingy from ED (In the Magic&Mysterires book) to empower a legendary magic item. Funny thing with that is that it specifically says that if someone dies this way, they cannot be brought back under any circumstances. and yet there's Lethe. Wonder if being a spirit counts?
SL James
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Dec 21 2006, 06:34 PM)

Makes you wonder who put that tac nuke under his limo. I'd pretty much assumed it was his doing. Maybe not.
fistandantilus4.0
'cause he carries one around in his over night bag whenever he goes out .... just in case....

Yeah, that little bomb bit was never really explained to my satisfaction. But hey, it's Shadowrun! They don't need to explain things! It's a conspiracy. wink.gif
FrankTrollman
Gosh, I guess it must have been someone who didn't like Dunkelzahn.

If only there was someone like that in the Shadowrun world!

Seriously though, whoever dropped that nuke already dropped it. It's done with. FanPro will probably never explain who did it. Many people have run campaigns where it was revealed to be... whoever hey revealed it to be. Anspecific person or group now would undermine their campaigns. The important bits have been made into official metaplot, who was actually on the Grassy Knoll at the time can vary from game to game without the setting suffering for it.

-Frank
fistandantilus4.0
But if we didn't nit pick about the details, what would we have to talk about?
Trax
I really should try to track down all the old Shadowrun novels. Sometimes I don't understand what the hell you people are talking about, and I don't just mean the threads where you go all scientific and do mathmatical shit.
SL James
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Dec 21 2006, 08:18 PM)
Gosh, I guess it must have been someone who didn't like Dunkelzahn.

If only there was someone like that in the Shadowrun world!

Seriously though, whoever dropped that nuke already dropped it.  It's done with. FanPro will probably never explain who did it. Many people have run campaigns where it was revealed to be... whoever hey revealed it to be. Anspecific person or group now would undermine their campaigns. The important bits have been made into official metaplot, who was actually on the Grassy Knoll at the time can vary from game to game without the setting suffering for it.

-Frank

Thanks for your contribution, Frank. Much appreciated.

I'd pick the wendigo circle in the parking garage because, well, why the hell not? It may just be the least stupid thing to ever take place in SR's Washington.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Trax)
I really should try to track down all the old Shadowrun novels. Sometimes I don't understand what the hell you people are talking about, and I don't just mean the threads where you go all scientific and do mathmatical shit.

You are not alone in Trax frown.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Kesslan)
QUOTE (Trax @ Dec 21 2006, 11:16 PM)

So, ask. Make a thread dedicated to filling in the blanks for those that are as yet novel-deprived. There are quite a few people here who like little better than illuminating people on the various aspects of the game world, as you should know by now. smile.gif
Kesslan
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Kesslan @ Dec 22 2006, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (Trax @ Dec 21 2006, 11:16 PM)

So, ask. Make a thread dedicated to filling in the blanks for those that are as yet novel-deprived. There are quite a few people here who like little better than illuminating people on the various aspects of the game world, as you should know by now. smile.gif

Quite true. I love this place... I love... all of you!

Well, except Toturi. He's a meanie head who ever agrees me with about everything like he should! wink.gif

But in all seriousness, this forum has quickly become one of my top favorites (As if you couldnt tell) largely because of the interesting and generally very educated discussions one can have here. Even if a good deal of it is purely fictional in content. Like this thread for example, and the other on dragons. It's intersting to see everyone's 'take' on various issues and more importantly, the reasons behind it.

As for the novels, I'd ask, but i'd much rather infact, aquire said novels and read them myself. I rather enjoyed reading 2XS for example, when I litterally stumbled across it in a used book store.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kesslan @ Dec 22 2006, 08:38 PM)
... i'd much rather infact, aquire said novels and read them myself. I rather enjoyed reading 2XS for example, when I litterally stumbled across it in a used book store.

Interestingly enough, I just recently had this very conversation with His Fistiness himself. I highly recommend that people read any (if not all) of the Shadowrun novels. He is somewhat hesitant, considering the admittedly quite bad writing involved in some of them, and the attrocious plotlines of others. My stance is that, despite all the bad points, each and every one gives a further glimpse into the inner workings of the Sixth World. Each and every one can be a source of inspiration for both character and campaign building. Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good.
fistandantilus4.0
Oh shut up nyahnyah.gif

I agree though, read them all. Except Nyx Smith.
Grinder
Yeah, he only wrote crap.
ChicagosFinest
LOL, if people pay attention or have read most of the source books then they would know what you were talking about even if they have not read the books. Be a student of the game!

I'm still waiting for Robocop to appear in detroit Ares has to have one or two cybermancy guys working for them. Maybe they have that big superimposed rouge robot patroling the streets of detroit to.

Before I puke on that one let me point out the skynet connection that robo cop has and the idea of robocop being the first terminator... I could go on with this but I wont i feel nauxious.

To get back on task Dunkie was blown up in the car with his driver. Would his driver be a drake and get absorbed in the dragon heart with him. Plus what about all those mages who went trhough the rift thinking they would come back out. Its like going through the looking glass.

Roxburogh is getting smacked arround by "Alice" my all time favorate ghost in the machine. But yet the Azzies just executed an adult dragon. So they are on their way to getting there swagger back.

Yeah Dunkie benifited from the blood magic research but someone else has to be able to connect the dots as well right? What about the Feathered serpant and eastern dragon? Would they notice that dunkie had this information? It would seem weird if they were unaware of what they had and didnt produce a lot of cyber zombies or other off-shoots of their blood magic research.
fistandantilus4.0
No, dirver just got blown up.

Latest news on Roxie is that he got peeved that the Azzie's couldn't get his errant wife back, so he split with them. No more Uni-Azzie
SL James
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
Before I puke on that one let me point out the skynet connection that robo cop has and the idea of robocop being the first terminator... I could go on with this but I wont i feel nauxious.

Didn't Robocop fight terminators?

The driver and four other agents.
Demonseed Elite
Plus what about all those mages who went trhough the rift thinking they would come back out. Its like going through the looking glass.

One did come out. She didn't live long afterwards though.
ChicagosFinest
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)

Didn't Robocop fight terminators?

The driver and four other agents.

I thnk so but I thought he was also apart of skynet. Which means he was the first one. I gotta dig up those darkhorse comics.
FrankTrollman
I'm down with putting Robocop into SR, that's been being built up for years. But the Robocop vs. Terminator comics definitely don't go into canon.

-Frank
SL James
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
I thnk so but I thought he was also apart of skynet. Which means he was the first one.  I gotta dig up those darkhorse comics.

Oh, really?

QUOTE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboCop_vs._The_Terminator)
Eventually discovering that the technology used to build him is partly responsible for the future development of Skynet, RoboCop soon sets upon himself to take down Skynet in the post-apocalyptic future single-handedly.

Hm. Cool.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
But the Robocop vs. Terminator comics definitely don't go into canon.

..I sincerly hope this remains true for Emergence, given those MCT Otomos from System Failure. wink.gif
ChicagosFinest
Ares could have a new toy huh? biggrin.gif
Kesslan
Well at least since SR3 if not earlier, it's allways been possible to build a full cyborg character thats effectively robocop. Using higher grade ware you can quite easily pull off cyberskull, torso, arms and legs.

And thats exactly what he is, Robocop at least by the stuff presented in the movies/TV series does still have internal organs beyond just his brain. But not much, which is really what you get with an SR full con borg too. Then just slap on a ton of ablative armor, smartlink 2, headjack, range finder, the leg pistol holster (Which I belive is in M&M if I recall, that or one of the SOTA books) and a few other toys and there you go.

Actually Robocop is a good deal cruder than an SR3 version. All the computer interfacing is done with a tiny plug and optical cable. His interfacing was done with much larger plugs and that spike in his hand.
mfb
plus any self-respecting sam would have init boosters. RoboCop's ablative armor was way, way higher than his Qui (or Bod, if you prefer).
Kesslan
Speaking of init boosters, robo cop definately doesnt have any. He's often the last one to start shooting for starters, and while his aim is incredibly accurate (SL + high firearms skills FTW!) he's bloody slow.

*tromp tromp tromp*

I mean geeze.. my dead grandmother moves faster than that!
Charon

That's what I get for checking on a thread by starting on the last page. Robocop!
Kesslan
QUOTE (Charon)

That's what I get for checking on a thread by starting on the last page. Robocop!

It's a corporate conspiracy against you!
psykotisk_overlegen
Once you sort out everything about Robocop, nerps and (possibly) Dunkelzahn there's a decent thread here somewhere.
Konsaki
Just keep telling yourself that...
Draug
Robocop (Robozan? A fuzion!) for President!
ChicagosFinest
LOL its ok to get side tracked. Crops really coulr have a robo cop the way things are going. Just think if the Star had a robo cop or a couple of them.
Draug
I propose they make his chassis from soylent chicken feathers.
Kesslan
You know, speaking of borgs and the Star. Who says they dont?

Just you wait till augmentation baby!
ChicagosFinest
I hope they do have borgs and giant renegade robots to try and enforce the law. Although I do want the borgs to be super kick butt and rare. Runners should look at borgs as cannon hodder.

I would think Ares would be the one to put them out they have the perfect setup being in detroit and all.
Kesslan
Well the monitary cost involved in creating borgs obviously would keep the numbers down. I mean the star doesnt even pay for basic enhancement for it's police officers. It just offers 'discounts'
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Kesslan)
It just offers 'discounts'

well yeah, they might as well get some money back from the people they're paying, right? wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012