Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KK's Somewhat new dedicated character thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Konsaki)
You can add alot of flavor to your character just by the skills, attributes and backstory it has. Though it's just another way to play, like your thoughts on neg qual.
Even positive qualities can have negative parts to them (SURGE) or ware (Wired or Syn Boosters). It just depends on the type of game you are playing: run and gun or suspense and story.  biggrin.gif

...excellent point. I usually have a number of "character qualities" written in that do not have a BP value (negative or positive) but that shape the character's personality. For example:

KK4.3 has a strong distrust of elves due to the the things she experience Being human and growing up in Salem TT. She also likes old 20th century Western Flatvids (knowledge skill), and emulates the classic "wild west gunslinger" in her combat style (in SR3 this would be Distinctive Style). She follows to the Bushido code (again knowledge skill and backstory) as well as the "gunslinger's code" (call out your opponent, never shoot a man in the back etc.).

None of these give her BPs even though they make her a challenge to play and provide an outline for her personality.

The one BBB book flaw that has come into play quite frequently, is Uneducated (described in her backstory as a learning disability that was aggravated by the beatings she received from her elven father). The funny thing, I actually kind of enjoy the effects this has, and yes, it has helped shape her personality during play. In a recent post about New Qualities, there was one called "Dain Bramage" which actually fits her story better than Uneducated.

The sad thing is the GM has been trying to get her to buy this off yet iit is a major part of the character's makeup.
lorechaser

KK4.3

I so need to keep version numbers on my characters. That amuses me greatly. I think my gunslinger would be up to about 7.8 or so.

The one BBB book flaw that has come into play quite frequently, is Uneducated (described in her backstory as a learning disability that was aggravated by the beatings she received from her elven father).  The funny thing, I actually kind of enjoy the effects this has, and yes, it has helped shape her personality during play.  In a recent post about New Qualities, there was one called "Dain Bramage" which actually fits her story better than Uneducated.

Ha! That was mine. wink.gif

I'm amused by your description of KK. My gunslinger also has a fascination with 20th century Westerns (at one point, I considered having the bulk of her speech be movie quotes, but I figured it was too much work). I haven't yet worked "I'm your huckleberry" in to conversation, but.... And while she isn't uneducated or Dain Bramaged, she did have a logic of 1, and spoke like an extra in a bad kung fu movie....

I'm a big fan of adding drawbacks. They usually trick the GM in to ignoring your twinkiness. wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (lorechaser)

KK4.3

I so need to keep version numbers on my characters. That amuses me greatly. I think my gunslinger would be up to about 7.8 or so.

The one BBB book flaw that has come into play quite frequently, is Uneducated (described in her backstory as a learning disability that was aggravated by the beatings she received from her elven father).  The funny thing, I actually kind of enjoy the effects this has, and yes, it has helped shape her personality during play.  In a recent post about New Qualities, there was one called "Dain Bramage" which actually fits her story better than Uneducated.

Ha! That was mine. wink.gif

I'm amused by your description of KK. My gunslinger also has a fascination with 20th century Westerns (at one point, I considered having the bulk of her speech be movie quotes, but I figured it was too much work). I haven't yet worked "I'm your huckleberry" in to conversation, but.... And while she isn't uneducated or Dain Bramaged, she did have a logic of 1, and spoke like an extra in a bad kung fu movie....

I'm a big fan of adding drawbacks. They usually trick the GM in to ignoring your twinkiness. wink.gif

...well shucks.

Too bad we weren't in the same town & could get our characters together on a mission sometime. Would really drive my GM plum loco.

KYoto Kid has been my all time favourite character since SR1. When our group's GM picked up SR4 & wanted to start running one shot missions to become familiar with the new ruleset, I decided to bring her back as a new 400BP character (Converting the original KK wouldn't work since some of her abilities didn't translate very well and she was a 300+ Karma character). Hence the designation KK4.1. As we kept playing I guess I became a bit attached to her new incarnation and decided to keep running her. After a couple of tweaks to fit her better to the ruleset and campaign she ended up as ver 4.3 (the designation kind of stuck)

Like your Gunslinger, KK also borrows lines from the old (pre awakening) westerns as well and her favourite cartoon character is of course, Yosemite Sam.

"Ooooo I hates those pesky long eared Varmints!" (her opinion of TT elves)

BTW, She also started with a Logic of 1 but has since raised it to 2 (now she's smarter than the average Watcher spirit)

Her two handed shootin' style is taken directly after Doc Holliday from Tombstone (one of my personal all time favourite movies as well).

"That's why I have two, one for each of ya."

Another influence for her concept was the old TV series Kung Fu. Hence, her interest in Bushido and Japan (definitely not very popular in the TT when she was growing up). After spending several years at a dojo in Kyoto Japan (very long story) she returned as an adept expert in the way of the Katana. This makes for a very interesting combination of cultural background.

I guess the best way to describe her is a "Bushido Cowgirl".

Yippie Kay yay Omae
ElFenrir

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Ya know, honesty is the best policy. biggrin.gif

And as for the character: I like. Nice idea, good setup, and yeah, blood magic is some wicked shit. Luckily you're the GM here. wink.gif The bit with the talking cactus is a nice touch...nice way for some blood spirit to fool someone into into thinking they are hallucinating because of thirst...but, well, tricky beings they are...
Kyoto Kid
I dont know how Martial Arts from China(Kung Fu) = Bushido (Japanese Samuri Code), but I like how you explained everything else about your character. biggrin.gif

As for your 'Uneducated' neg qual, by RPing it out and probably boosting your mental stats to 3, you could buy it off by just figuring that over time anyone would be able to figure the new world out. But I can also see how you would want to keep the flaw.
Just remember that even after removing the flaw, it could still be a major point in your character's life, like how an addict still feels the craving for something, even though they arnt truly addicted to it. Smokers who have quit still have that urge to start up once again since they had the experience in their life.
KK could probably remember how things were simpler before she finally understood the world. She cant go back, sort of a lombatamy, but remembering those times before she removed the flaw would be interesting. Plus you can still keep some of the quirks like "Ok, I forget, which pedal is GO?" "R means real fast right?" biggrin.gif

--------------------
Caittie Dreamer - Technomancer
Konsaki
I like how you quoted me, right down to the signature. Neat trick, KK. nyahnyah.gif
X-Kalibur
What, no Dark Tower fans have made a gunslinger yet that follows the Gunslinger's creed?

I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.
I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.
I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.

lorechaser
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Dec 22 2006, 02:12 PM)
What, no Dark Tower fans have made a gunslinger yet that follows the Gunslinger's creed?

I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.
I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.
I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.

Does it help that I've seen that quote over and over, and didn't know where it came from?

Also, SR is distinctly short of Mind-Bullets.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (lorechaser)
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Dec 22 2006, 02:12 PM)

I aim with my eye.
I shoot with my mind.
I kill with my heart.

Does it help that I've seen that quote over and over, and didn't know where it came from?

Also, SR is distinctly short of Mind-Bullets.

Your game needs more Tenacious D then

"How about the power to kill a yak from 300 yards away... WITH MIND-BULLETS! Thats telekinesis Kyle..."
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Konsaki)
I like how you quoted me, right down to the signature. Neat trick, KK.  nyahnyah.gif

...Your actual post may get moved over in a bit, I PMd Fistandantilus3.0. Didn't know how else to copy the post over than to do it as a reply. Unfortunately it also got my name as and signature as well. embarrassed.gif

[Edit] Seems that an individual post cannot be moved. I'm getting better at these tricker edits, & even figured out how to do custom Links to boot.

[In character]
...Not bad for someone a 2 Logic with the Uneducated flaw....

--KK4.3
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Konsaki)
I dont know how Martial Arts from China(Kung Fu) = Bushido (Japanese Samuri Code), but I like how you explained everything else about your character.  biggrin.gif

...it was more the time honoured traditions of the Far East meeting up with the old Wild West angle of the show that I based her on. Even moreso, another influence was the parallel between the Seven Samurai and The Magnificent Seven (both films which I also enjoy).

As for buying off the Uneducated flaw (which my GM tried to get me to do) that is just a bit spendy [40 Karma] when you have things like initiation and raisng your MA to consider. And yes, I do like the flaw even though it crocks the character on things like learning Tech skills and Arcana (required for joining a Magic/Adept group). This is very much a central part of the character concept and I remember reading that in such a case (SR3?) the flaw should not be bought off.

QUOTE (Konsaki)
Plus you can still keep some of the quirks like "Ok, I forget, which pedal is GO?" "R means real fast right?" biggrin.gif

That is actually very amusing since she has Pilot Ground Vehicle. In a related aside, back when I was in college, I used to do a comic strip in the campus paper and teamed up with a friend who did another strip using the storyline of our two characters racing each other. His character, named "Norm" ended up trashing his roomie's car saying that when it looked like he was going to lose, he threw it into "R" for "Race". (the last panel showed his car screeching to a halt with the engine continuing forward out the grille) Yeah, that sounds like something KK would do.
Kyoto Kid
...OK, might as well bring this one back from the bone yard as well. Considering that the nature of my SR gaming group has changed, I have totally rebuilt KK as a starting character, bringing her more in line with the original pre-SR4 concept.

The new/("old") version will be posted tomorrow (Sunday) PDT. Her backstory and motivation has remained the same.
Kyoto Kid
Here is the revamped version of KK. There is one of the Homegrown Negative Qualities (from the old thread of the same name) that replaces Uneducated, for it works fits in better with her backstory. Again this is the more ideal version I would have liked to run, but given the nature of the campaign she was to run in had to make her a lot tougher in some ways and thus less colourful.

KK was built using the Wizdoc SR4 Character Generator.

[ Spoiler ]
StealthBanana
One note, meant only to help and not to be a jerk, but tattoos are commonly associated with yakuza in Japanese culture. I don't know if that helps or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there. It goes so far that in some hot springs / bathhouses / swimming pools, people with tattoos are not permitted.

That's all. Hope it helps!
Kyoto Kid
...well understood & no problem, that is what a dedicated character thread is for.

In her backstory, the Dojo that KK spent time at in Kyoto used plants rather than dragons or other creatures as a symbol of status within their ranks. She knows enough to not flaunt it publicly, even back home in Seattle.

Yes it could cause her trouble as you mention but in some circles it could also gain her respect as well.

The GM in whatever campaign she is run in will of course have the last say.

Forgot to mention one other characteristic (which I have since added)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012