Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You play too much Shadowrun if...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
1. You go to your office, and you spend the whole day looking for paydata to sell.
2. You assume every man in a suit is hiding something.
3. You draw crosshairs on your glasses and call it a smartlink.

You make the rest.
will_rj
4. Every time you enter a building, you look for escape routes and security breaches.
5. You always wonder what would be Dunkelzahnīs opinion when you watch the news.
6. You close your eyes for a second every time you unplug your headphones.
emo samurai
7. You go to your local buddhist monk and ask about initiation.
8. You go to Best Buy asking about the next shipment of Fairlight Excaliburs.
bofh
9. You shave a patch behind your ear and get a phono jack piercing.
10. You examine a way to get your home network to interface in icons.
11. You talk to your pets.
12. You look for mirrorshades that can be modified to flush fit to your face.
Kyoto Kid
...you assign a target number to every task you do at your job
...you call your notebook computer your deck
...you are at the car dealer and ask if there's a concealed armour option available
...you try to slot a memory stick instead of your bank card into the ATM
...you pull out your bank card instead of your keys when unlocking your door
...You refer to the local police as "The Star"
...you get nervous about that business trip to Portland.
...you go to the corner 7-11 (which BTW you call the Stuffer Shack) & ask for NERPS
Adarael
21. You wonder if gangs have taken over Redmond, so you won't have to go to work the next day.
22. You mentally map the space the Arcology will take downtown, so you can figure out what 'cool' places will have to be moved rather than be bulldozed.
23. You rate the security zones of areas you walk around in on a daily basis.
24. You also mentally map which corps have territory where.
25. When visiting places in Capitol Hill, you try and rank them according to what has the best shadowrunner vibe vs. the most corporate.

Seriously, I have done/do all of these things.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Adarael)

Seriously, I have done/do all of these things.

...same here.
BookWyrm
... you keep asking your local Radio Shack when the new commlinks will be in.
... you mark your calendar in countdown-mode, how many months-weeks-days until The Awakening.
... you have a countdown clock on your desktop/laptop set for The Awakening.
... you keep trying to make your Beanie Baby collection into homunculi.
... you keep calling your area hospital for rates on cyber-replacement.
... and they quote you an affordable price.
... nobody understood your last Halloween costume ("I'm a Troll street shaman, d@mnit!").
... you keep trying to convince your (current) Significant Other to wear pointed ear-tips & call you "President Dunkelzahn".
... you call your nightvision goggles 'prototype cybereyes'.
... you have nightvision goggles & you're not in the military or law-enforcement.
... you know every steam-tunnel, maintenance walkway & off-limits security corridor in the city, & you don't work for the maintenance crew.
... you keep trying to enchant your dice.
... you keep an eye on the local cemetary, just in case of an outbreak of Shedim.
... you thumb through your local library's 'alternative medicine' selection for spell ideas.
... you wonder if your local library's section on fantasy counts as a Force 3 or Force 6 lodge.
Kesslan
... you spend most of your work hours reading/positing to Dumpshock.
... you create lists about playing too much Shadowrun
... you refer to Dumpshock and other info sites as Data Havens
... you try to plug a networking cable into your head so you can 'surf the matrix'
... you cultivate an ant farm in the hopes that they will be the key to unlocking your ability to control insect spirits.
... you start using Sephriel or Or'zet in your every day speach.
... you keep wishing the CEO of the company you work for was really a dragon and would eat your boss.
Trigger
...You give the various corporations around the world their own ranking (A, AA, AAA)
...Everything that you microwave is soy-something, even if it contains no soy
...You translate your own stats into numbers and contemplate how much karma and time it would take at the gym to raise you to Body 4
...You refer to your personal jewelry as foci
...Your fantasy library at home counts as force 6 lodge
...You figure a safehouse location into your monthly budget
...The internet is always the Matrix
...You have tried to find a place to dikot or mono-edge your personal knives
wargear
... your picture is up on the Dumpshock Forums Yahoo Group.
nezumi
... You bother dedicating more than a hundred dollars and hundreds of man-hours to mastering a skill so you can better understand the poor phraseology of a particular rule in a side rulebook that most people don't know exist

... You are saving up to dedicate three times as much money and time to master a similar skill based on future technology, because you feel opposed dice rolls don't accurately reflect how it would work

... You fell in love with your current wife when she sent you a photoshopped picture of herself as a meta

... You have a 'bug out bag' but not a college fund for your kids in anticipation of the crash and the awakening

... You've begun printing out all vital records in anticipation of the crash

... You've tried to figure out alternative dating methods to explain contradictions in Shadowrun history and actual life

... You've seriously considered naming your children after major characters in Shadowrun canon (we liked Damien, but my brother already has that name, so we went with Lucien instead)

... You bother to troll the Microsoft Shadowrun site, where you actually start a game to "show them what Shadowrun is all about"

I'm sure more will come to me. In retrospect, these are far too true for comfort.
eidolon
This list is awesome. I of course, um..ahem... do none of these.
lorechaser

.. You fell in love with your current wife when she sent you a photoshopped picture of herself as a meta

Dude, I might fall in love with her at that point. Wait, which Meta? Dwarf, not so much. Ork, Mmmmmm yeah.

Although I have to say the use of the phrase "Current wife" amuses me greatly. I think I'd get a beatdown for using that one at home....

...  You've seriously considered naming your children after major characters in Shadowrun canon (we liked Damien, but my brother already has that name, so we went with Lucien instead)

My baby had a 50% chance of being named Shepherd, and 50% chance of being named Kayleigh, 50% chance Zoe if he had been a girl. Jayne was vetoed almost immediately.

I wonder if my wife would go for Twist for our next one? I figure Ghost-Who-Walks-Inside is a bit long (but probably good for scholarships....)
nezumi
QUOTE (lorechaser)

.. You fell in love with your current wife when she sent you a photoshopped picture of herself as a meta

Dude, I might fall in love with her at that point. Wait, which Meta? Dwarf, not so much. Ork, Mmmmmm yeah.

Although I have to say the use of the phrase "Current wife" amuses me greatly. I think I'd get a beatdown for using that one at home....

Yeah, I wish for ork too, but she's a small build. A short elf, more like (she's 5'1" and gave herself pointy ears).

I also call her my "girlfriend" and I don't get beaten down for that. It's true, after all. I think she's long since accepted my linguistic difficulties are due to my trying to be concise (she is my wife right now, after all). I also use 'xor' in sentences regularly.
Slithery D
You file a declaratory judgment seeking federal recognition that your personal corporation's property is its own nation immune to federal and state law, needing only obey its bylaws.

You prepare for the coming war against Aztlan, and keep a close watch on Mecha.
knasser
...You've ever created a character sheet of yourself and worked out how much karma it would cost to increase your strength attribute or Unarmed Combat skill.

embarrassed.gif
Kyoto Kid
...had a night to sleep on it...

...you write a novella around one of your character's backstories
...your oft used curses are "Frag" and "Drek"
...you wonder if Raiders fans really do play Urban Brawl in their spare time.
...you wonder if Green Bay Packer management has looked into Leonization treatments for Brett Farve
...you wonder if Lance Armstrong wasn't really an adept who followed the way of the athlete (shhh...don't let the French know)
...you keep a handful dice in your desk as an "executive decision-maker"
...you have an SR Motivational Poster as wallpaper on your workstation
...you measure RL actions in combat turns and initiative passes
...when something goes wrong you call it a "glitch"
...you refer to your HMO plan as your DocWagon or CareLine (UK) contract
...you go to a pub and ask for a pint of Sessions Scrumpy
...you look at everyone you see in a pub or cafe and picture them as what their most likely metatype would be after the Awakening.

Chrome Shadow
All this is so true...
Tiger Eyes
...your five-year old thinks that anytime you roll a 6 on a die, you get to re-roll. And that one is a bad number.

Seriously screws up most board games. But hey, she cheats anyway.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes)
...your five-year old thinks that anytime you roll a 6 on a die, you get to re-roll. And that one is a bad number.

Seriously screws up most board games. But hey, she cheats anyway.

Heh, bombard her with game theory textbooks.
Kesslan
Bah the rule of 6 is just a rule of awesomeness that should be extended to all games!
fistandantilus4.0
I like Earthdawn's dice system. You use all type of dice, up to d20, and every dice explodes. Good stuff.
Kesslan
exploding dice what now?
fistandantilus4.0
if you roll a 20 on a d20, you roll it again, and so on. If you're rolling a d20 and a d12 and a d10, and they all roll max, you reroll them all. If you roll max on any of them again, reroll again. Have some very suprising results sometimes that way. Think you can die fast in Shadowrun? wink.gif
Kesslan
Oh dear.

Yeah I've seen some totally crazy numbers under SR3 just off a D6. The highest I ever was was like.. 40+ (I dont quite recall but it was over 40).
EDIT: Mind you that was no a random dice generator program

On one of my stealth rolls using a random dice generator online. It was like.. woohoo! I'm invisible!
fistandantilus4.0
I've ran games where players that should defintely not have been able to beat somethign tore the crap out of it because of awesome rolls, and vice versa. makes for an interesting game, when you can't just trust that your skill alone is going to get you through because there's always that chance.

shadowrun too much.... I'm confused. What is this "too much" you all speak of anyways?
Kesslan
You shadowrun too much when you wind up on the bad side of a job and get geeked I think?
Oracle
...you bring four armed friends to an interview for a new job, because the Johnson might try to screw you.
Kesslan
... You try to find some one to cyberenhance your body
... You try to find some one to cyberenhance your dog
... You go out hunting for paranormal critters to train as attack animals
... You put a big red X on your PSP in a desire to become a member of 'The Exchange'.
... You put a big red X on other people's PSPs to try to get them to join 'The Exchange'.
... You actively try to locate a dragon's lair in real life based uppon information from the source books. In hopes of slaying/looting/other the dragon before it has a chance to awaken.
... You make alot of entries for a 'You play too much Shadowrun if...' list.
... You write alot of Shadowrun fanfics
... They get published as 'Cannon' material
... Source books become based off them.
... You wind up as a writer for new Shadowrun books as a result.
... Your goal in life is to win a mega lottery so you can try to get the all rights to anything Shadowrun so companies like Microsoft cant sodomize your favourite game anymore.
Trigger
QUOTE (Kesslan)
... Your goal in life is to win a mega lottery so you can try to get the all rights to anything Shadowrun so companies like Microsoft cant sodomize your favourite game anymore.

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Trigger)
QUOTE (Kesslan @ Dec 29 2006, 02:52 AM)

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

...ditto
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012