Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can I get a quick yes/no?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
OneTrikPony
Can u put a gass vent on a slivergun in SR4 or is the barrel mount taken by the integral sound suppressor?
Fortune
The internal Sound Suppressor does not utilize the barrel mount.
Draug
Ditto Fortune.
Thanee
I don't think you can put GasVents on Pistols in SR4, if you strictly follow the rules.

But the Slivergun does have a free mount on the barrel.

Bye
Thanee
Glyph
You can put them on machine pistols, SMGs, assault rifles, and machine guns. Technically, the Ares Viper Slivergun is a heavy pistol, but most GMs would probably still consider it a machine pistol, since it is capable of burst fire.

The sound suppression is not a problem, since the sidebar on pgs. 301 and 302 states that integral accessories don't take up mount locations.
tisoz
Wouldn't gas vents be akin to Sound Vents and ruin the sound suppression? Like hacking holes in your car's muffler?
Austere Emancipator
Right. IRL, it wouldn't work. But neither would the AVS to begin with, so make of that what you will.
Glyph
Of course, IRL, sound suppressors provide recoil compensation of their own. Those who want more "realistic" rules for sound suppression and recoil compensation should check out Raygun's rules on it here, although they would need a wee bit of tweaking to use for SR4.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Glyph)
You can put them on machine pistols, SMGs, assault rifles, and machine guns. Technically, the Ares Viper Slivergun is a heavy pistol, but most GMs would probably still consider it a machine pistol, since it is capable of burst fire.

The sound suppression is not a problem, since the sidebar on pgs. 301 and 302 states that integral accessories don't take up mount locations.

In that case then the Savelette Guardian in SR3 was a machine pistol too, despite being a heavy pistol with the ability to burst fire (admittedly as a complex action). You'll also notice those same machine pistols are capable of FA, which the slivergun is not.

Slivergun is a heavy pistol, it cannot accept a gas vent per RAW. (although why they don't have muzzle breaks for pistols in SR is beyond me)
hobgoblin
a simple yes/no on dumpshock? may is ask what the poster have smoked and if there is anything left? silly.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
a simple yes/no on dumpshock? may is ask what the poster have smoked and if there is anything left? silly.gif

not only that, but a simple yes/no answer when the question was about *guns* of all things.

it's danged near impossible to say the word guns and shadowrun in the same sentence without starting a few rants.
ShadowDragon
I'd say no. Gas vent and sound suppression manage the gases very specifically. They're not compatible.
Butterblume
QUOTE (ShadowDragon @ Jan 2 2007, 06:10 PM)
I'd say no. Gas vent and sound suppression manage the gases very specifically. They're not compatible.

That's what the guys who know about it tells us. Shadowrun has the Ingram Smartgun instead, which has both sound supressor and gas vent.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Butterblume)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon @ Jan 2 2007, 06:10 PM)

That's what the guys who know about it tells us. Shadowrun has the Ingram Smartgun instead, which has both sound supressor and gas vent.

It's futuretech! I'd say that 80% of the tech in SR is impossible anyway, why the flat 'no' for gun parts?
OneTrikPony
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Sigh... It's my fault. What i meant was; "does the sound suppression on a slivergun take up the barel mount spot precludeing the additioin of an aftermarket gass vent."

I swear to god I serchfued 5 times to avoid haveing to start this thread. I thought I'd be able to count the votes on both sides and make my ruleing on the tally.

I also noticed that I mistakenly call it sound suppression instead of the more "Precise" Silencer when what I ment was the shadowrun silencer not the RL supressor which I know you cant have on a RL slivergun. grinbig.gif Now that I've opened that can of worms--again--I wish I really did have something to smoke.
fistandantilus4.0
suppresor, man! Don't make Raygun yell at you! biggrin.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
It's futuretech! I'd say that 80% of the tech in SR is impossible anyway, why the flat 'no' for gun parts?

Because of the way that firearms work and how that's unlikely to change much in the future, or at least according to the way Shadowrun describes most of them.

The short answer is that all firearms use high-pressure gases to propel a bullet from a barrel. Gas vents use that high pressure gas and redirect it in a fashion that compensates for the rise of the muzzle. As that high-pressure gas equalizes with the atmospheric pressure it expands very quickly, which in turn creates a lot of noise. Sound suppressors obviously try to limit the noise that's created by the muzzle blast. They do so by first containing the pressure, then reducing it and slowing its escape from the firearm. Because a gas vent needs relatively high pressure to do its job of mitigating recoil effectively, it can't work in conjunction with a device that is designed to reduce said pressure. The less pressure there is, the less effective the gas vent will be. The more pressure that's allowed to be released into the atmosphere, the more noise there will be.
fistandantilus4.0
Too late biggrin.gif

Thanks Raygun, OTP, is one of my players, so it's nice to have a jump on answers before they come up in game. That's what I would have figured, but it's nice to have someone that knows what they're talking about give some details.
OneTrikPony
So is my buddie's vented Taurus .357 louder or quieter?

[edit]Damnit Raygun! That was completely uncalled for. I almost had a super cool Zero Recoil dual wielding Slivergun Samurai. I'LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU!

Ok I forgive you but you should think about who you're huting before you start slinging that your-character-won't-work-because-of-physics Jive grinbig.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (OneTrikPony)
So is my buddie's vented Taurus .357 louder or quieter?

Neither.
OneTrikPony
if it's the speed of the gas that causes a sound doesn't the same amount of gas traveling through multiple ports and different vectors cause the gas to be slower not to mention vented into a larger area?
RunnerPaul
With revolvers, you've got gasses escaping the barrel through the gap between the barrel and the cylinder. while the surface area of whatever openings are on the business end of the barrel may factor into it, I have a feeling the bulk of the sound escaping a revolver is determined at your cylinder gap.

That's just my gut instinct, and the gun experts might very well show me that I'm mistaken, but if the purpose of this thread is quick answers, "Neither" is mine.
Demerzel
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
if the purpose of this thread is quick answers

I believe the purpose of the thread is yes/no answers.
RunnerPaul
Then, No. To both "is it louder?" and "is it quieter?"
Demerzel
Upon further review I see that it was actually quick yes/no answers, so I guess I was just a wrong by omission.
OneTrikPony
Since I mostly only care at the game table can I get a yes/no from Fistandantilus3.0?
Then I'll drop it.
Raygun
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jan 3 2007, 12:50 AM)
Thanks Raygun, OTP, is one of my players, so it's nice to have a jump on answers before they come up in game. That's what I would have figured, but it's nice to have someone that knows what they're talking about give some details.

No prob. I guess it could still be kind of up in the air as to whether the Slivergun is an actual firearm or not (every explanation I've seen of how it works thus far has been pretty physics-defying), but if you do consider it to be one, that's the way it would work.

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
With revolvers, you've got gasses escaping the barrel through the gap between the barrel and the cylinder. while the surface area of whatever openings are on the business end of the barrel may factor into it, I have a feeling the bulk of the sound escaping a revolver is determined at your cylinder gap.

That's just my gut instinct, and the gun experts might very well show me that I'm mistaken, but if the purpose of this thread is quick answers, "Neither" is mine.

All else being equal (you know how that goes), the gun with the vents is going to be louder as the gas escaping from the vents is going to be at slightly higher pressure than that escaping from the muzzle alone. It may not be by much (or even noticeable to the human ear), but it will probably be measurable, similar to the difference between, say, a 3" barrel and a 4" barrel.
RunnerPaul
I'll buy that.

[edited: misunderstood the post I was replying to.]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012