I sometimes find writing short fiction helps me get a feel for how I want a campaigns tone to come across. Let me know what you think.

Lieutenant Drazan (Dizzy) O’Conner shifted his ork sized bulk in the passenger seat of the unmarked police cruiser as it wove in and out of the heavy rush hour traffic on the I-5 siren blaring wipers flying back and forth across the windshield battling the hammering rain. He grunted as he caught himself trying to make small talk with his comatose driver and scowled, never could get used to the damn deckers, hackers, whatever it was they were calling themselves these days, their expressionless faces reminded him of his first partner who took a slug to the head in a drug bust and is still rotting in a hospital bed letting machines breath for him.

His comlink beeped at him and he accepted the email with a grin, the pencil pushers had come through in time. KE was damn lucky there was a Judge on the Seattle courts that happened have the same opinion of Lone Star’s incompetence and corruption as he did. He opened the file and read the court order granting Knight Errant Security Services jurisdiction over the murder of James Fowler the CFO of CyberDynamics. A quick scan of the document showed it had everything he needed, jurisdiction, ability to issue a press blackout, temporary extraterritoriality over the penthouse suite the body was found in, and even jurisdiction over the corpse of the joygirl found with him. That was good, a dead hooker with a married man would be embarrassing for their employer, she could just disappear though, probably didn’t even have a SIN. He hit a print command and tore the printout from the dashboard printer, better to have something physical to wave in the Star’s face once he got there in case they couldn’t be convinced to leave on his winning personality alone. He dialed the rest of his team from the secure net and waited until they all responded.

“Judge Lee came through for us lads, we’re green to go on this, what’s your ETA?�

“we’re about 15 minutes out, maby a bit quicker.�

“Ok wait for me in the lobby before we head upstairs. I doubt the Star will have that cordoned of but if they do you’ll have to wait outside until I show up with the court order. Don’t cause any problems with them, they’ll be pissed enough as it is.�

“Does that mean I should wait in the car boss? Looser Star seems to have it in for me.� asked Sergeant James (TINY) Stevens as the AR display showed the big troll grinning nastily. Dizzy couldn’t help but chuckle. Looser Star had been James’ attempt at a joke some years back and for some odd reason the name stuck. Of course James was right too. Technically the Star still had a warrant out for him after he ended up in a Star bar one night and single handedly cleared it out… Something like 14 separate accounts of assault on a peace officer. Wouldn’t stick of course not with KE protecting him but it might cause grief they didn’t need.

“Yeah wait till we get them cleared out then come on in.� At that Dizzy cut the connection and smiled to himself, he never did understand the Star’s discriminatory hiring practices. James was one of the most valuable members of his team, his street smarts combined with his size and strength got them into places that no one else would be able to infiltrate. Sure he had a tough time fitting into high society shindigs but that wasn’t his bag anyhow, he was just as happy to sit in the citymaster and eat nachos while the rest of the team shmoozed.

As Dizzy finished collecting his thoughts the car pulled into a free space across the street from the Seattle Hilton. The zombie suddenly turned and said “We’re here sir.�

“I can see that.� Dizzy grumbled as he tugged his beret straight on his head and checked to make sure the court order was safe in his pocket before stepping out into the driving rain. “Time to go to work boys� he said over the comm. as he walked towards the knot of Lone Star officers huddled under the vestibule staring at him with open hostility.