Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character critique
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
djinni
I threw out the old Idea and brought this one up, since I can't protect the rest of the group if I'm the biggest scariest ugliest thing there, then perhaps I'll be targetted instead of the group?
Resisting damage with 37 dice, 5 to dodge (rarely if ever full combat dodge)
pretty good pool to attack? morale attraction of "shoot the big one first" should prtect the non combat people right?

(keeping the +20% for being a troll until I get an answer back from the GM about it being in chargen or not)

Metatype : Troll
Mundane

Attributes
Body: 9 (13)
Agility: 4
Reaction: 4(6)
Strength: 9
Charisma: 1
Intuition: 4
Logic: 3
Willpower: 3

Edge: 3
Initiative: 8(10)
Essence: 1.925

Knowledge Skills
English : N
Crook Hangouts : 5
Urban Brawl Odds : 5
Area Knowledge : 3
Military : 4
Spanish : 4

Skill group (Athletics)
Climbing : 4
Gymnastics : 4
Running : 4
Swimming : 4
Active Skills
Blades (Axes) : 5
Heavy Weapon (Grenade Launcher) : 3
Unarmed Combat (Martial Arts) : 4

Positive Qualities
Toughness

Negative Qualities
<to be added later>: 20BP
[Severe] Allergy (Uncommon)

Cyberwares
Wired Reflexes (Rating 2)

Biowares
Bone Density 4
Orthoskin 3
Platelet Factories

Weapons
Combat Axe (+ 20%)
ArmTech MGL-12 (+ 20%)
10x Flash Bang (+ 20%)
10x Gas Grenades (+ 20%)

Armors
Armor Jacket (+ 20%)
Ballistic Shield (+ 20%)
Helmet  (+ 20%)

Equipments
Contact Lenses (+ 20%)
+Flare Compensation
+Image Link
+Low Light Vision
Glasses (+ 20%)
+Smartlink
+Vision Enhancement (Rating 3)
+Vision Magnification
Earbud (+ 20%)
+ Audio Enhancement (Rating 3)
+ Spatial Recognizer
Fake Sin (Rating 4)
Fortune
Bone Density and Bone Lacing are incompatable.

The Suprathyroid Gland has an Availabilty of 20.

I'm not quite sure, but it seems as if you are adding the bonus for Enhanced Articulation to your Combat Skills. EA only grants a bonus to Physical Skills (a specific category of Skills) linked to a Physical Attribute.
lorechaser
I had a similar idea, to build the biggest baddest damage soaker around.

Part of the problem, though, is that SR opponents don't respond well to Snap-aggro abilities. They tend to look at the party and go "Huge troll with armor, huge troll with armor, skinny elf, skinny human. I'll shoot at skinnies."

djinni
here's a hopefully fixed version
lemme know where I went wrong.
Jaid
don't think you add the 20% cost at chargen to stuff made for dwarf or troll.

wired reflexes adds to reaction. therefore you have either reaction 4(6) or reaction 2(4), depending on if you added it in or not.

with uneducated in there, gunnery (which you have nothing to use with, only used for firing vehicle mounted weapons) seems weird. i assume it was supposed to be heavy weapons (which includes grenade launchers) which also seems weird with uneducated, though i suppose not impossible (after all, it doesn't take that much to learn the basics of using a gun).

perhaps you should reconsider uneducated as a flaw? in fact, as a general rule, whenever you see a flaw worth 20 points, sit down and really ask yourself: how badly do i really want my 20 points all in one shot, as opposed to splitting them up into smaller (5 and 10 point) flaws? because uneducated pretty much means you've never used a calculator, let alone a smartlink nyahnyah.gif

anyways, as with before, you probably want something boosting your strength and agi, if you're going to be melee. i would drop that 10th point of body, and use the 25 BP elsewhere... like raising agility to 4, boosting one of your mental stats, or getting rid of uneducated.
djinni
QUOTE (Jaid)
don't think you add the 20% cost at chargen to stuff made for dwarf or troll.

wired reflexes adds to reaction. therefore you have either reaction 4(6) or reaction 2(4), depending on if you added it in or not.

with uneducated in there, gunnery (which you have nothing to use with, only used for firing vehicle mounted weapons) seems weird. i assume it was supposed to be heavy weapons (which includes grenade launchers) which also seems weird with uneducated, though i suppose not impossible (after all, it doesn't take that much to learn the basics of using a gun).

perhaps you should reconsider uneducated as a flaw? in fact, as a general rule, whenever you see a flaw worth 20 points, sit down and really ask yourself: how badly do i really want my 20 points all in one shot, as opposed to splitting them up into smaller (5 and 10 point) flaws? because uneducated pretty much means you've never used a calculator, let alone a smartlink nyahnyah.gif

anyways, as with before, you probably want something boosting your strength and agi, if you're going to be melee. i would drop that 10th point of body, and use the 25 BP elsewhere... like raising agility to 4, boosting one of your mental stats, or getting rid of uneducated.

he has Exceptional body so dropping that points would be 30 points (20 for the edge, and 10 to drop it to 9)
yeah Heavy weapons instead of gunnery...oops.
uneducated isn't the same as incompetent
things you don't need a skill for (using a calculator for example) you have the same basic understanding everyone else does. the problem will be not knowing how to do higher things.
Kyoto Kid
...careful with that combination of Uneducated and Logic of 1.

KK4.3 has been wrestling with this all her career. She had to learn Computer skill (at twice the Karma cost) just so she could use her commlink effectively. In the old credstick days this wasn't much of an issue, but now so much of a character's day to day existence is dependent on his commlink (like going to the Stuffer Shack for grub, getting a beer at the bar, not getting arrested because it isn't turned on, etc.).

With her it does make for some humorous moments I will admit.

I would put the Image Link on the glasses with the Smart Link & then take the Skinlink modification so your GL cannot be easily hacked. Would be bad if you were in the midst of a fight & the clip suddenly dropped out.

Unless you are always going to shoot from a vehicle, Gunnery is a waste. For the GL you should take Heavy Weapons instead.

To make him a better damage soak, I would ditch the Toughness, and go with Increased Pain Tolerance III. This increases the breakpoint for negative modifiers from wound effect.

Since he has Running, Climbing, Swimming and Gymnastics all at 4 (total of 64BPs), you could save a lot by just taking the Athletics Skill Group at 4 for 40BPs With these extra points, he could take another weapons skill like Automatics (SMGs, Assault Rifles). THis could also be a good choice since the Ares Alpha has an integrated GL making it rather versatile

I also notice the character also has 6 more BPs worth of Knowledge skill than what his Logic + Intuition give him (should be 15BPs) . Were extra BPs applied above this total?

Keep in mind with the Uneducated Quality, Professional and Academic Knowledge skills are twice the BP/Karma cost.

One thing I will say, unless he gets hit first with a direct combat spell, he most certainly will geek the mage.
Fortune
QUOTE (djinni @ Jan 9 2007, 08:35 AM)
uneducated isn't the same as incompetent
things you don't need a skill for (using a calculator for example) you have the same basic understanding everyone else does. the problem will be not knowing how to do higher things.

Not exactly ...

QUOTE (SR4-pg.83)
Characters with the Uneducated quality are considered “unaware� in Technical, Academic Knowledge, and Professional Knowledge skills they do not possess (see Skill Ratings, p. 106), and they may not default on skill tests for those skills. The gamemaster may also require the character to make Success Tests for ordinary tasks that the typical sprawl-dweller takes for granted.
djinni
QUOTE (Fortune)
Not exactly ...

QUOTE (SR4-pg.83)
Characters with the Uneducated quality are considered “unaware� in Technical, Academic Knowledge, and Professional Knowledge skills they do not possess (see Skill Ratings, p. 106), and they may not default on skill tests for those skills. The gamemaster may also require the character to make Success Tests for ordinary tasks that the typical sprawl-dweller takes for granted.

I meant "higher" things being like searching the matrix, or programming his VCR.
as was discussed using a commlink will be a painful task of showing him how to open a chat window fifty times. or having the technomancer do it for him and complete all teh settings before the run, as long as he doesn't mess with it he'll be fine. he has a high common sense (intuition) so that won't be a problem.
Fortune
The point being that he wouldn't, as you said earlier, "have the same basic understanding everyone else does" concerning any kind of technical task.
Banaticus
Showing this guy how to use a comlink would be like showing my grandma how to use her email program well. He'd be writing down every step and be unsure about the whole process. After a couple months, he'd probably be just fine with sending and receiving email, but opening an attachment? Oh, that's a whole new problem.
Jaid
on a side note, if he has heavy weapons, that means you could buy him an ingram white knight (recommended, imo) or a Stoner-Ares M202 and get some nice recoil compensation in there.

the white knight costs a bunch less, and needs less upgrading, so i'd probably go with that (specifically, you can fire two bursts without needing to even brace it on your shoulder). additionally, it can fire bursts instead of just full auto, and could theoretically take a sound suppressor. though i can't for the life of me imagine that making it *quiet* it should at least make it less loud. this also means you don't have to blow stuff up to kill people far away. furthermore, it's only 500 nuyen.gif more than an M202 to get a white knight with a gyro-mount, which offers, between the integral gas vent, shockpad on the stock, and the theoretical gyro-mount 12 points of recoil comp... 6 of which can be applied to movement modifiers, if you so require.

additionally, i would, now i look at it, recommend a couple more types of grenades: gas grenades (if you're a cheapskate, pepper punch works just fine) and flashbangs (note the damage stays the same out to the full distance, which makes it handy for groups, and firing two flashbangs should be enough to KO most regular sec troops without killing).
djinni
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 8 2007, 06:02 PM)
The point being that he wouldn't, as you said earlier, "have the same basic understanding everyone else does" concerning any kind of technical task.

the same basic understand being that he lives in the same world with all these gadgets. know how they work but maybe not why
the grandma would be an inapetitude in computers, uneducated would be like a highschool graduate. who hasn't gone off into a tech school or something similar.

but that aside whether or not we have different views on how uneducated will be a disability to him, is the rest of it okay?
switching gas grenades instead of explosives seems a better option. as was pointed out in my last attempt a direct shot from a machinegun will be less optimal since his dicepool will be below the expected average or the editors (you guys)
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Banaticus)
Showing this guy how to use a comlink would be like showing my grandma how to use her email program well.  He'd be writing down every step and be unsure about the whole process.  After a couple months, he'd probably be just fine with sending and receiving email, but opening an attachment?  Oh, that's a whole new problem.

..Violet has done this with one of the other PCs on her team. Again kind of amusing now & then.
Banaticus
Uneducated is definitely not like a high school graduate -- it's a person who never graduated from high school, let alone had any sort of formal schooling at all. Since you can't default and haven't spent any points on the Computer skill, you have no understanding of "computers and electronic devices, which in the 2070s is just about everything powered by electricity." Since you can't default, you have no Artisan skills -- you can't sing, dance or paint, at all. Since you haven't spent any skill points in Armorer and you can't default, you can't even swap out a barrel mount for some other piece of weaponry -- you have absolutely no idea how guns are put together. You don't know any First Aid, at all, or any medicine -- a bandage? Why use that when you can just piss in the dirt and pack the resulting mud on the wound to stop the blood loss? Bark from the willow tree to stop a headache? Nope, you haven't spend the skill points so you don't know anything about things like that.
QUOTE (SR4 @ p. 83, Uneducated)
An Uneducated character has grown up far away from the modern sprawl and is thus ignorant of modern society in general, possessing only a rudimentary knowledge of reading, writing, and arithmetic. This quality is fitting for characters who grew up in primitive societies or back-to-the-land anti-technological communes (for example, Amazonian primitives, Luddite collectives, or NAN pinkskins). This quality also applies to certain sentient paracritters that have developed their own primitive society (such as shapeshifters, naga, and merrow).
Characters with the Uneducated quality are considered “unaware� in Technical, Academic Knowledge, and Professional Knowledge skills they do not possess (see Skill Ratings, p. 106), and they may not default on skill tests for those skills. The gamemaster may also require the character to make Success Tests for ordinary tasks that the typical sprawl-dweller takes for granted. Additionally, the Karma cost for learning new skills or improving existing ones in these categories is twice normal (including at character creation), and the character may never learn skill groups belonging to these categories.
QUOTE (SR4 @ p. 206, Using the Matrix)
Every Shadowrun character possesses basic computer and electronics skills (unless you possess the Incompetent or Uneducated negative qualities, p. 83 and 84) and has personal experience with networking, searching for data, and using the Matrix in general. Standard denizens of the Sixth World use their commlinks/PANs on a constant basis to make telecom calls, experience augmented reality, search for data, keep in touch with teammates, and manage their finances.

You do possess the Uneducated negative quality, so you can't do what "standard denizens of the Sixth World" can do, unless you spend the necessary skillpoints.
Squinky
Real quick here:

Depending on how your group rules on Cyberlimb armor, you can crank up your armor rating pretty quick with some lower legs both with +2 armor. That also depends on how your group rules on meta cyberlimbs though I guess.

And I see a massive issue with not having muscle toner and augmentation. It's a must.
djinni
as I said...we have differing views you all combine common sense into education, we don't. (example: common sense says urine and dirt is a bad Idea for first aide, education tells you what would be good Idea)
so once again can we put that aside?
Fortune
QUOTE (djinni)
as I said...we have differing views you all combine common sense into education, we don't.

Before we put this aside, could you please tell me just what disadvantages your group does assign for the 20 Point Negative Quality, Uneducated? Seems to me that you are brushing aside some of the bigger drawbacks.
Banaticus
QUOTE (SR4 @ p. 206, Using the Matrix)
Every Shadowrun character possesses basic computer and electronics skills (unless you possess the Incompetent or Uneducated negative qualities, p. 83 and 84) and has personal experience with networking, searching for data, and using the Matrix in general. Standard denizens of the Sixth World use their commlinks/PANs on a constant basis to make telecom calls, experience augmented reality, search for data, keep in touch with teammates, and manage their finances.

You do possess the Uneducated negative quality, so you can't do what "standard denizens of the Sixth World" can do, unless you spend the necessary skillpoints.

The rules specifically say that, unless you spend the necessary skill points, you have none, zero, nill proficiency in Technical skills areas (as well as Academic and Professional Knowledge areas). You haven't spent the skill points and thus have no computers ability and thus cannot use anything electronical -- you have zero ability in those areas.

It's not common sense to know how a comlink works. They're far more sophisticated and can do far more things than the most advanced cell phone/blackberry item on the market today. Just spend 4 BP and put a single point in Computers and suddenly you've had enough familiarity with them that you can now use comlinks for basic functions.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (djinni)
but that aside whether or not we have different views on how uneducated will be a disability to him, is the rest of it okay?
switching gas grenades instead of explosives seems a better option. as was pointed out in my last attempt a direct shot from a machinegun will be less optimal since his dicepool will be below the expected average or the editors (you guys)

....I would still consolidate your physical skills und the Group Skill: Athletics. This will save you 24BPs.

I noticed you stayed with the Toughness Quality. I would again suggest the Increased Pain Tolerance Quality. It would make him more tougher by the fact he wouldn't be taking negative modifiers to his DPs as easily when he does take damage. KK4.3 has level II, and I've seen that it does make a difference.

QUOTE (Banaticus)
Just spend 4 BP and put a single point in Computers and suddenly you've had enough familiarity with them that you can now use comlinks for basic functions.

Actually with the Uneducated quality, the BP cost is doubled to 8.
Banaticus
I don't see an Increased Pain Tolerance. I see a High Pain Tolerance that allows him to ignore wound modifiers, but it's not compatible with any cyber/bioware. As the character progresses, wouldn't Toughness be better when paired with good cyber/bioware that allows him to ignore pain modifiers?

You're right Kyoto Kid. djinni, if you buy the Athletics (group) skill at 4, then buy Computers 1, you'll still have 16 BP to spend on other things. Athletics isn't a technical skill, so your character can buy that skill group.
Catharz Godfoot
QUOTE (djinni)
as I said...we have differing views you all combine common sense into education, we don't. (example: common sense says urine and dirt is a bad Idea for first aide, education tells you what would be good Idea)

You mean that education tells you that urine is a good idea when you have no access to sterile water?
djinni
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (djinni @ Jan 9 2007, 11:59 AM)
as I said...we have differing views you all combine common sense into education, we don't.

Before we put this aside, could you please tell me just what disadvantages your group does assign for the 20 Point Negative Quality, Uneducated? Seems to me that you are brushing aside some of the bigger drawbacks.

the skills were purchased as a skill group I listed them seperatly because I wasn't sure what items/ware added to some skills and not others. but have since removed those ware/gear I'm planning on giving him a pain editor so don't want to spend the high pain tolerance points in chargen.

in our group:
a person with inepptitude is like someone who can't stop calling you because "illegal error" pops up and they are scared they did something illegal.
an uneducated person doesn't know what the error is or means but has the common sense to know it's something with the computer.
he might not be able to operate his commlink but he can perform certain simple functions, answer a call send and outgoing call... not when under duress or in combat but give him 5 minutes and he can get it done.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Banaticus)
I don't see an Increased Pain Tolerance.  I see a High Pain Tolerance that allows him to ignore wound modifiers, but it's not compatible with any cyber/bioware.  As the character progresses, wouldn't Toughness be better when paired with good cyber/bioware that allows him to ignore pain modifiers?

You're right Kyoto Kid.  djinni, if you buy the Athletics (group) skill at 4, then buy Computers 1, you'll still have 16 BP to spend on other things.  Athletics isn't a technical skill, so your character can buy that skill group.

...ooops, got mixed up with the Adept power (don't have the BBB at work with me)

As to not being compatable with bio or cyber, I could see that if the character had Pain Editor and/or Trauma Damper Bioware (which this character does not). I believe it says in the BBB that you can't have both High Pain Tolerance and the Adept Power Increased Pain Tolerance.

[Edit - Revision]

QUOTE (djinni)
I'm planning on giving him a pain editor so don't want to spend the high pain tolerance points in chargen.

Ahh, that does clarify things a bit.
Fortune
Fair enough. Not how I'd run it, but it's cool. Thanks for the response, and I'll drop it now, as I promised. smile.gif
djinni
QUOTE (Fortune)
Fair enough. Not how I'd run it, but it's cool. Thanks for the response, and I'll drop it now, as I promised. smile.gif

don't have to drop it, Ideas or suggestions on how to cope with it are great rather than pointing out how he's incompetent, I'm more concerned with whether or not this character will be survivable in combat, than not being able to use his commlink. will he be sufficiently large in battle to draw attention and enemy fire, since it is impossible to "cover" the whole team the only way I know to do that is make them afraid or looking at something else. any other Ideas on how to do it are much appreciated.
toturi
I think the point was that he is more liable to draw fire because he can't use his commlink properly. Like not turning on his commlink or having it in Hidden when in a high sec area. Or having so much AR spam and not knowing how to deal with it.
Banaticus
QUOTE (Catharz Godfoot)
You mean that education tells you that urine is a good idea when you have no access to sterile water?

I said that an uneducated character would choose the "sterile" urine over the high-tech solution that's 10x bettter and which doesn't pack in possibly infected dirt into the wound (ignoring how difficult it's going to be to clean the wound later on). No to mention that, although urine itself might be sterile, that doesn't mean that the opening to the urethra is sterile. However, this character wouldn't know any of this, as he's uneducated and has spent no points in either First Aid or Medicine. So he'd be choosing the "natural" method over the high tech method that's far better.
djinni
QUOTE (toturi)
I think the point was that he is more liable to draw fire because he can't use his commlink properly. Like not turning on his commlink or having it in Hidden when in a high sec area. Or having so much AR spam and not knowing how to deal with it.

the resident technomancer can see that he doesn't. and since they will be linked into a party network she'll have ready access to his commlink.
also those issues are outside of combat they aren't going to simply shoot him because he's not broadcasting properly.
ornot
OK. I get that you want to make a big bad troll that can take a great deal of physical abuse. I don't really understand why. Whether he is going to be targeted over the rest of the team will depend very much on the circumstances of the run.

If the NPCs he's up against decide he's the biggest threat the next question they're going to ask is "can we take him down?" If they decide the answer is yes you'd better hope they're poor judges. If they decide the answer is no then they'll pull back and call for back-up, if they're sensible.

All that aside, I'm curious as to how your troll got to be the troll he is. Why has he decided that running interference for the smart squishy runners and getting shot up is a good idea? I'm sure you can give me a reason, I'd just like to hear it.
Glyph
QUOTE (BBB @ pg. 301)

(As a rule, we suggest that metatype modification costs not be incurred for any gear purchased during character creation).

I kind of agree with that, myself. It messes up the whole point of streamlined character creation when you turn around and make a player do math on every piece of gear.

I salute you for actually taking bone density: 4 and orthoskin: 3 - that's a very strong focus on damage soaking. Me, I'd be too daunted by the cost, and too tempted by all of the other goodies out there like muscle toner: 2, reflex recorders, synthcardium, and so on. Hopefully your guy will last long enough to add some of that stuff.

One thing, though. Think seriously about how much of the game involves combat, because your character can't do much of anything outside of that role. For a combat-heavy campaign, he's good, but for a campaign with lots of planning, information gathering, and schmoozing with NPCs, you might find yourself getting kind of bored.
Banaticus
Well, even if he wasn't much good outside of combat, I'd sure like him in my team of Shadowrunners. Just go invisible and let him deal with the guards. smile.gif
Jack Kain
Ok if he's going close combat he needs some agility boosting. The bioware muscle toner if rather usefull in this area.
When you swing and axe, throw a bunch or shoot a gun agility is the applied stat. Concidering the rather high number to rolls linked to agility you'll be making boost it is a very good idea.

I'd advice dropping the Bone Dense all together and getting muscle toner and muscle augmention rating 2. This will up both your strength and agility. (melee damage is strength divded by 2 round up + some number)

One tactic to concider is, boost both your agility and strength via bioware and use your fists for stuning guys down. Many runs require you bring back alive target or worse yet, a run that requries you not kill anybody. If your augmented strength is 11 you deal 10P plus hits with a combat axe. A sweet attack.

Some minor ware you might like
The internal air tank will give you a 2 hour air supply. Its cheep and has a low essence cost.
Perfect for gass attacks or if you happen to fall off a boat. (and being a troll with rating 4 bone dense your going to take some major swim penalties)

Making the wired reflexs alpha, will save you some essence for later.

And ultrasonic sensor can help you deal with those pesky invisible mages.

A Grenade is a grenade, they are one size fits all

I'm fairly sure you need the image link on the same device as the smartlink for the smartlink to work.

If your going for 1 charisma you could go the extra mile and take Uncloth.

toturi
The PC has no Social skills, please do not take Uncouth, unless you are planning(and your GM is allowing you) to act totally out of character.

Uncouth means as a troll with no Intimidate skill, a puny 1 Body human walks up to you and trash talks you, you roll over and cry,"Mommy," because you got absolutely no dice to roll. Please do not get Uncouth unless you plan on taking Social Skills (but if you are going to take Social wth are you doing with Uncouth anyway?)
Fortune
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
I'd advice dropping the Bone Dense all together and getting muscle toner and muscle augmention rating 2. This will up both your strength and agility. (melee damage is strength divded by 2 round up + some number)

Then throw Bone Lacing in as well.
lorechaser
QUOTE (ornot @ Jan 8 2007, 09:02 PM)
OK. I get that you want to make a big bad troll that can take a great deal of physical abuse. I don't really understand why. Whether he is going to be targeted over the rest of the team will depend very much on the circumstances of the run.

If the NPCs he's up against decide he's the biggest threat the next question they're going to ask is "can we take him down?" If they decide the answer is yes you'd better hope they're poor judges. If they decide the answer is no then they'll pull back and call for back-up, if they're sensible.

That's my question as well.

Some of the time, people will go for the biggest, baddest target. But if you're only the biggest baddest because you're a big guy, people are going to quickly realize that they can remove 4 of your team mates, or you, and make the efficient choice.

That being said, the addition of a medium machine gun will make a lot of difference, especially with Autofire or Suppressive fire being used. So I'd recommend swapping your specialization from GL to Machine Gun, and picking up a Stoner. GLs don't require nearly as much precision - you can afford to drop the 2 dice.

All that aside, I'm curious as to how your troll got to be the troll he is. Why has he decided that running interference for the smart squishy runners and getting shot up is a good idea? I'm sure you can give me a reason, I'd just like to hear it.

Heck, that's simple. It's what he does. It's *all* he does. He realized early one he was big, and he was tough, and he was dumb. Once he got in to running, his first several teams shoved him in to the role of meatshield, and he was pretty good at it. It doesn't require a lot of planning, it doesn't require complex interactions. It requires "Get between me and bullets."

It's all a "big dumb troll like you" can do. wink.gif It also creates some very interesting self-esteem issues, in my mind. And a giant troll with self-esteem issues is kinda funny.

"Why you not like Mongo? Mongo try hard be nice. Mongo not smell nice? Mongo use Toilet Water like you say to smell good, Mongo do hair, Mongo buy everyone rat pizza. But still, it 'Mongo. Go get shot. Mongo. Here come grenade, you jump on it.' Poor Mongo."
djinni
QUOTE (lorechaser)
It's all a "big dumb troll like you" can do. wink.gif It also creates some very interesting self-esteem issues, in my mind. And a giant troll with self-esteem issues is kinda funny.

yeah that was kinda the reason, (guess it's obvious) I was going to use the roleplay interaction of the group (the motherly technomancer) to help him cope, and possibly become better at other things too. but underneath it all he's insecure about everything except the physical nature of what he is.
I wasn't going to talk like that, was going to keep his mouth shut alot of the time, so I could think up the stuipdest things to interject. but I might just use that voice.
I don't have enough money to get alpha Wired reflexes 2.
Bone density doesn't set off security as much as bone lacing, and you roll the same number of dice for resistance. I'll see about tweaking it to get the toner,a nd aug in there.
on a side note, how much could cosmetic surgery cover dermal plating?
Banaticus
Not at all. How difficult would it be to cover up a full body kevlar coat so that the coat looks "natural", like your real skin? Dermal plating consists of plastic or metal plates overlayed on your body. Plus (probably due to nutrient problems or just bonding with the plastic or metal in general), you can't have orthoskin laid down on top of dermal plates anyway.
lorechaser
I thought dermal was just under the skin?

I think you could get cosmetic surgery that didn't look like dermal armor.

It wouldn't look like natural skin, though. It would look like rhino plates, or wearing a monkey suit, or some such. Clearly not your natural skin, but also not necessarily dermal armor.

Trying to get realistic skin would look like wearing a skin suit, I think.
Banaticus
How much essence is your current cyber/bioware costing right now? Subtract how much you're spending on your wired reflexes. Is it less than 3 points? Because then you could drop the wired reflexes and buy the adept merit for 5BP and spend your three magic points on Increased Reflexes 2 (since you'd already have lost three magic points from the cyber/bioware). And that would give you a great deal more BP to spend on other stuff, instead of the nuyen cost of wired reflexes.

As to dermal plating:
Dermal plating consists of hard plastic and metal fiber plates bonded to the user’s skin. The plates are clearly visible and can be stylized for surface texture and color. Dermal plating confers a bonus to both Ballistic and Impact armor equal to its rating. Dermal plating cannot be combined with orthoskin.
psykotisk_overlegen
QUOTE (Banaticus)
Because then you could drop the wired reflexes and buy the adept merit for 5BP and spend your three magic points on Increased Reflexes 2 (since you'd already have lost three magic points from the cyber/bioware). And that would give you a great deal more BP to spend on other stuff, instead of the nuyen cost of wired reflexes.

Did you include the BP cost of raising the magic attribute high enough to afford Increaed reflexes 2 after 3 lost points of essence? I'm betting that's gonna cost a lot more than the Nuyen the wired reflexes cost.
Banaticus
Well, after you lose permanent points of Magic because of lost essence, funnily enough it suddenly becomes easier to buy new points of Magic, as the cost of raising an attribute is [new rating * 3]. If you can start with a low rating, then it doesn't cost very much to raise it back up. So you buy cyber/bioware, spending all the way up to six essence on it. Your Magic rating becomes zero.

For a mage to initiate five times and raise his magic by five points (from 6 to 11), it would cost 382 karma. For wired adept to initiate five times and raise his magic by five points (from 0 to 5), is only 93 karma.

Now, wired reflexes 2 already costs 3 essence. So, since you can't spend more than six essence anyway, that 3 essence that you would have spent on wired reflexes 2 allows you to buy the adept power Increased Reflexes 2, for three magic points. Then, you only need to initiate twice and buy two additional points of magic (going from 3 to 5) to get your adept Increased Reflexes up to level 3 (the max it can be) -- which would only be 18 karma. Compare 18 karma to the 70k nuyen.gif that it'll cost just to buy the third level of wired reflexes, let alone paying someone to install it in you and also finding an additional two points of essence somewhere, which would likely require a higher grade of cyber/bioware anyway and you can see that it's prohibitively expensive to solely go cyber/bioware when you could combine the two and spend your karma on initiation and points of magic, wherever it makes the most sense and where you can get something for either a cheaper magic point cost or a cheaper essence cost.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Banaticus)
For a mage to initiate five times and raise his magic by five points (from 6 to 11), it would cost 382 karma. For wired adept to initiate five times and raise his magic by five points (from 0 to 5), is only 93 karma.

But if your magic rating ever hits zero you lost all magical ability and are permanently and forevermore mundane. There is no buying it back up. So during character generation you have to buy sufficient magic attribute such that when you then get your cyber you still have a magic rating of at least 1.
Once you begin play, you can cheaply raise it to 2, then get more cyber dropping it back to 1, and repeat. But if you drop it to 0 you can never raise it again, ever.
Fortune
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Jan 10 2007, 07:08 AM)
So during character generation you have to buy sufficient magic attribute such that when you then get your cyber you still have a magic rating of at least 1.
Once you begin play, you can cheaply raise it to 2, then get more cyber dropping it back to 1, and repeat.  But if you drop it to 0 you can never raise it again, ever.

Is this seriously how you run things? If I had an Adept with a Magic Attribute of 4 and 3 Points of Wares (making my Magic Attribute 4 [1]), would you only charge me the 6 Karma to raise it to 2, or would you charge the normal Karma cost (15) to raise it to 5 [2], which is what it technically should be?

If it's the former, then I definitely would choose to play awakened characters almost exclusively in your games.
Moon-Hawk
Whoa whoa, Fortune, settle down. I was stating my understanding of how the book describes it. The "RAW". (god I hate that acronym)
Personally, I agree with you that it should be treated as 5(2), and if there's a book or FAQ quote that makes that explicit I'd like to see it.
Butterblume
QUOTE (Fortune)
If I had an Adept with a Magic Attribute of 4 and 3 Points of Wares (making my Magic Attribute 4 [1]), would you only charge me the 6 Karma to raise it to 2

That's what the rules say. I'm not having really a problem with that, because once you hit magic 3 again, you have to start to initiate to be able to increase magic further.
Fortune
So, I didn't believe you, and had to check with the man upstairs ...

QUOTE (Me)
Let's say I have an awakened character with a Magic Attribute of 4. He gets 3 full points of 'ware installed, binging his effective Magic Attribute down to 1 (technically 4 [1]). If I then choose to use Karma to increase his Magic Attribute, would it cost me 6 Karma or 15 Karma to raise his effective Magic Attribute to 5 [2]?

QUOTE (Rob Boyle)
I could have sworn I covered this in the FAQ. Hrm.

The answer is: it would cost you 6 (ie, you're buying from 1 to 2).

Note that Magic lost from Essence loss is (semi-)permanent. If you get 3 Essence points of 'ware installed, your Magic goes from 4 to 1, not 4 (1). Your max. natural Magic rating also drops from 6 to 3.

Excuse me now while I go and retroactively twink out my 'ware-bearing awakened characters. eek.gif biggrin.gif
lorechaser
This is the first time in SR I've said "I'm going to ignore the official clarification."

But jebus, that's a bad bad bad idea. Anything that sets up a routine where it's better to do things in a convoluted method (1->2, install 1 point of ware, 1->2, install 1 point of ware, etc) doesn't work for me.
tisoz
I'd add some stuff to protect from gas attacks. Also armor mods to protect from shock weapons and chemical attacks.
Banaticus
QUOTE (lorechaser)
Anything that sets up a routine where it's better to do things in a convoluted method (1->2, install 1 point of ware, 1->2, install 1 point of ware, etc) doesn't work for me.

It doesn't quite work that way. You only have six points of essence, so you still have that hard cap on how much cyber/bioware you have. When you go from 1 to 2, then add another point of cyber/bioware, you lose that point of magic. Essentially, you paid all that karma to only temporarily have its benefit. If you want the benefit back, then yes you have to pay the price again and raise it from 1 to 2.

As I see it, it's not convoluted. If you pay the price, you get the benefit. If you try to double up on it, you lose the benefit and will have to pay the price again in order to once more receive the benefit. This continues until you hit that hard Essence cap and can't spend any more Essence (at which point you can go Beta/Delta to use that Essence more efficiently and can initiate and buy more magic points, but your magic will never decrease again from cyber/bioware as you're already at your Essence cap).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012