Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sacrificing and PCs in SR3
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hyzmarca
So I'm rereading the Threat section of Magic in the Shadows and I cant find a quote that explicitly forbids a PCs from learning Sacrificing via an initiatory group that knows the metamagic. The only text on the subject in the blood magic says:

QUOTE (Magic in the Shadows p.133)
Some magical threats learn Sacrificing from astral quests or spirits, but player characters cannot follow the same path without losing their sanity.

Immediately previous it says:

Sacrificing cannot be learned without the aid of a group that already knows the technique. It can never be learned by a self-initiate. [Italics theirs]

This suggests that it is, in fact, possible for a PC to learn Sacrificing and the prohibition is only on learning Sacrificing through self-initiation, which can only be accomplished by magical threats who are an exception to the general rule. This also suggests that not all blood magicians qualify as being magical threats, which makes sense considering the use of self-sacrifice by powerful good guys.
Kagetenshi
Barring further text, I would conclude that PCs can learn Sacrificing.

~J
Wounded Ronin
This is just another example of how the game designers apparently don't go over their text with as fine a tooth comb as the average player does.

Since I'm incapable of wit, subtlety, or good sense, I'd probably just end up running some kind of "evil magician" campaign where all the PCs are bad guys and they're competing with each other to pull off the worst atrocities so as to end the game with the highest number of potency points.
Adarael
I believe this change was made partway through the line, due to the argument that many religious and magical traditions sacrifice animals or inflict self-harm. Witness Catholic self-flagellants or vodoun rituals.

So what if it says the PCs are incapable of learning sacrificing?
When was the last time you had a really good idea and you let a rule designed to keep you from exploring it stand in your way?

It's your game.
SL James
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
This is just another example of how the game designers apparently don't go over their text with as fine a tooth comb as the average player does.

hahahaha

Surely you jest. MitS, not proofread? How dare you!
Lindt
Go ahead, let your PC learn it. So his team mate can turn him in for the blood mage bounty. Good money right there.
BrianL03
And he'll go insane doing it too. Make him roleplay that.

After all, he'll lose his sanity, says right there in the book wink.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (BrianL03 @ Jan 9 2007, 03:35 PM)
And he'll go insane doing it too. Make him roleplay that.

After all, he'll lose his sanity, says right there in the book wink.gif

He'll only lose his sanity if he learns the technique from a spirit or an Astral quest. That's pretty much the point of this thread. While I and many others have gone on the assumption that Sacrificing was explicitly forbidden to PCs in SR3, it is not.
It was explicitly forbidden in SR2 but not in SR3, a fact that makes the self-sacrificing Shapeshifter PC a viable character.
SL James
And a total fucking badass to boot.
Adarael
So his team mate can turn him in for the blood mage bounty.

Knowing sacrificing is not the same thing as being a blood mage, per the bounty. Blood magicians would be magicians who know sacrificing, and have sacrificed humans, and have gained potency from it.
Fortune
And even then, only those that appear on the DF's little list are eligible for the bounty.
Kagetenshi
Quebec will still pay you, though.

~J
Fortune
Yeah, but not as much.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Fortune)
Yeah, but not as much.

So then the real question is how much is your chummer worth? Enough to turn him in? ork.gif
Sahandrian
QUOTE (Kesslan)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 9 2007, 10:21 PM)
Yeah, but not as much.

So then the real question is how much is your chummer worth? Enough to turn him in? ork.gif

You people are lucky. Someone has to pay your teammates to screw you over.

In ours, we get teammates killed through pranks.

Like that time we called the adept and told him to be on a certain train at a certain time, and for some reason he trusted us.

He doesn't anymore, ever since we blew the tracks out from uncer said train with C12.

We did pay for his medical treatment, though...

well...

We more gave him to a sociopath with a (supposedly real) medical degree, and told the guy to have fun...
Vaevictis
IMO, sacrificing gets a bad rap. It's not inherently evil. The Great Ghost Dance was essentially sacrificial magic, right?

It's only when you sacrifice unwilling sentient victims that that it really crosses the line.

Although, for game balance reasons, I wouldn't ever let a shapeshifter learn it nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
IMO, sacrificing gets a bad rap. It's not inherently evil. The Great Ghost Dance was essentially sacrificial magic, right?

That's a weird way to make your argument. "Death camps are not inherently evil. Auschwitz was a death camp, right?"

~J
SL James
Dammit, Kage. I nearly spit up on my keyboard from laughing so hard.
mfb
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Vaevictis @ Jan 10 2007, 10:04 PM)
IMO, sacrificing gets a bad rap.  It's not inherently evil.  The Great Ghost Dance was essentially sacrificial magic, right?

That's a weird way to make your argument. "Death camps are not inherently evil. Auschwitz was a death camp, right?"

~J

psh. you make it sound like the injuns got the GGD from some kind of half-Horror freak, or something.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (mfb)
psh. you make it sound like the injuns got the GGD from some kind of half-Horror freak, or something.

Isn't that what the Immortal Elves are?
emo samurai
mfb was being sarcastic. The half-horror immortal elf son of Ysrthgrathe and Aina named Thais taught the Great Ghost Dance, which is funny, since I didn't think of it as the kind of thing you could just learn, but oh well.

What if you sacrifice somebody who was going to be executed for good reasons, like a murderer, or SL James? Would that be evil? biggrin.gif
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 10 2007, 10:32 PM)

Well, I haven't read up on the Great Ghost Dance since SR1 first came out. But my understanding was that the participation was voluntary. Is my understanding incorrect?

(My personal experience was that I read a lot of the stuff when SR1 first came out, then had a gap until very late in the SR3 cycle.)
SL James
QUOTE (emo samurai)
mfb was being sarcastic. The half-horror immortal elf son of Ysrthgrathe and Aina named Thais taught the Great Ghost Dance, which is funny, since I didn't think of it as the kind of thing you could just learn, but oh well.

What if you sacrifice somebody who was going to be executed for good reasons, like a murderer, or SL James? Would that be evil? biggrin.gif

Subjectively, it is if you royally fuck it up - like Darth Vader killing Obi-Wan, or the execution of Saddam Hussein.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
my understanding was that the participation was voluntary. Is my understanding incorrect?

Your understanding is incorrect only insofar as you believe voluntary participation to be a mitigating factor.

~J
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 11 2007, 09:24 AM)
Your understanding is incorrect only insofar as you believe voluntary participation to be a mitigating factor.

~J

With respect to the sacrificing part? Why not?

If the subject is a volunteer, I don't see why sacrificing them is inherently evil. People sacrifice themselves all the time -- in battle, firefighters, police men, etc -- and it's often considered heroic. Why is this particular method of sacrificing evil?
PBTHHHHT
But do the dancers know it's a sacrifice, maybe they thought they were just giving themselves into the 'dance' to give it power. Not a sacrifice... until their life force got ripped from their bodies and they toppled over dead. Maybe they thought their buddies were just falling over unconscious from the exertion of the dance and not death. Ooops.
Apathy
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jan 11 2007, 12:59 AM)

Subjectively, it is if you royally fuck it up - like Darth Vader killing Obi-Wan, or the execution of Saddam Hussein.

Vader fucked up while killing Obi Wan? How? I mean, he didn't get to dismember the body afterwards (since it disappeared). But I would have thought Obi Wan fucked up more [attempting] killing Vader.

And the Sadaam execution was no more fucked up than every single other thing that we've heard about over there since Bagdad fell [the first time].
Fortune
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
But do the dancers know it's a sacrifice ...

Part of the power of the Ghost Dance comes from the fact that the participants are willing to sacrifice themselves. It wouldn't be effective if they were somehow deceived or misled as to the (possible) outcome.
Ravor
Well if I agreed that Blood Magic was inherently evil then I might say that there is a difference between mundanely sacrificing yourself and Sacrificing yourself via having your lifeforce/soul ripped out in order to power a magical spell.

Of course, personally I believe that Blood Magic like anything else is a tool, but that it is a very dangerous one because of the temptation of looking at your fellow meta-humans as Mana-batteries. In my opinion there should be very, very little if anything in a Cyberpunk game that is truely Evil and even *LESS* that is truely Good.
Moirdryd
Dont forget boys and girls that Blood Magic actually IS inherantly evil. If the likes of Harlequinn and Ehran are to be believed. I Believe it is the Aztlan book (or perhaps something detailing amazonia, i`m sure Ancient History could give us the referance) Where there is the big discussion between a couple of the Immortal elves, including Harlequinn and a few other shadow posters in the know (Dunkie may have been one of them) and the Ghost Dance comes up as being the very beacon that damages the barrier or what have you that was keeping the Horrors out and causing the rift to open a little more. I do recall they directly go as far as saying that ANY form of sacrificial magic, willing, unwilling or anything is BAD mojo that just attracts things you really dont want to be attracting....

(Going to have a nose through my SR library to get the book its all from)
Ravor
Well personally I try not to believe anything the immortals have to say, even when speaking among themselves in a Matrix forum. But I'd like to point out that just because using something is a very, very bad idea because it will quicken the coming of the next Scourge isn't the same as being Evil.

At least in my opinion.... *winks*
Moirdryd
Oh and more On Topic. I was alwyas under the impression that anything listed as Threats were designed to be used as Antagonists to the average campaign (hence the term Threats) as opposed to being available to PC's. Though that said it does address the term Characters who know the Sacrificing Metamagc can summon blood spirits... but that geas has got to be a bugger.....
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Moirdryd)
Dont forget boys and girls that Blood Magic actually IS inherantly evil. If the likes of Harlequinn and Ehran are to be believed. I Believe it is the Aztlan book (or perhaps something detailing amazonia, i`m sure Ancient History could give us the referance) Where there is the big discussion between a couple of the Immortal elves, including Harlequinn and a few other shadow posters in the know (Dunkie may have been one of them) and the Ghost Dance comes up as being the very beacon that damages the barrier or what have you that was keeping the Horrors out and causing the rift to open a little more. I do recall they directly go as far as saying that ANY form of sacrificial magic, willing, unwilling or anything is BAD mojo that just attracts things you really dont want to be attracting....

(Going to have a nose through my SR library to get the book its all from)

The Great Ghost Dance caused a mana spike due to its sheer size. Any act of magic on that scale, blood sacrifice or not, will cause a massive mana spike. It just happens to be that the Horrors can use such a spike to build a bridge. However, one should not forget that the spike was closed by the Dragonheart, a powerful blood magic artifact.

Blood magic isn't inherently bad, raw magic on a huge scale inherently causes mana spikes.

And yes, Threats is for threat NPCs. However, nothing explicitly forbids PCs from learning the metamagic (unlike in SR2) and many non-threat NPCs know it by canon. In fact, the text gives one method that can be used by any character who wants to learn it for to learn it and a completely different method that only Threats can use to learn it.
Moirdryd
Still digging for the bit i`m on about. Tsk, all you naughty people wanting to kill things for POWER!!!!
Kagetenshi
Can you think of a better reason?

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
There's only a finite number of potential enemies in the world, so you need to find the way to get the most complete use out of each one. This appears to be:
1) tranq them
2) take their stuff
3) mimc them on the matrix and drain all resources they might have
4) blackmail anyone who might care
5) ritual sacrificing to power magic
6) sell any used cyberware/bioware not pulled out in step 2
7) organlegging
8) sell remaining meat-parts to ghouls

Did I miss any?
Kagetenshi
You need to figure out if using them as slave labor would gain or lose you money (possible organ degradation, etc.).

~J
Moirdryd
Using their Hair for wigs.
Teeth to make false sets for paying clients.
Not sure if the above are naturally inclusive in organ legging since niether are organs.

Take any shoes they may own.
Sell their clothes.
Take blood samples to use as false DNA leads on future crime scenes.
Drain their tear ducts and keep untill you can sell bottled water to the tourists.
SL James
Bah.

A real bastard would save their tears solely to sustain himself.
Moirdryd
A Real Bastard!!! would drain said enemy's tear ducts while they are alive an concious... now thats just nasty... Not sure if it counts as Sacrificing though..... perhaps part of a Ritual....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012